Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

M3GAN (2023, P: Blum, Wan, D: Johnstone)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

M3GAN (2023, P: Blum, Wan, D: Johnstone)

Old 01-04-23, 08:19 PM
  #26  
DVD Talk God
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 72,638
Received 2,316 Likes on 1,707 Posts
Re: M3GAN (2023, P: Blum, Wan, D: Johnstone)

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Iím seeing it Friday. From everything Iíve read and heard, itís entertaining, but not scary at all. Iíve read itís more comedy.
Now seeing it Saturday. Worked booked me on a graveyard shift Friday night from 8pm to 4am
Old 01-04-23, 09:14 PM
  #27  
DVD Talk Legend
 
asianxcore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: California
Posts: 19,442
Received 297 Likes on 248 Posts
Re: M3GAN (2023, P: Blum, Wan, D: Johnstone)

Originally Posted by Brian T View Post
Was planning on seeing this regardless, not necessarily theatrically but on video definitely, but I totally missed the mention in the first post that this was from the director of HOUSEBOUND, which is a fairly brilliant horror/comedy (even the poster nailed the balance).
I had no idea that Gerard Johnstone was the director of this. I really enjoyed Housebound (2014)

With the weather a bit crazy in Northern California right now, I hope to check this out over the weekend!
Old 01-06-23, 06:10 AM
  #28  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Perkinsun Dzees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: CA
Posts: 3,812
Received 190 Likes on 127 Posts
Re: M3GAN (2023, P: Blum, Wan, D: Johnstone)

I had a good amount of fun with this flick, although it suffers from the trailer having given away almost all the kill (and dance) scenes. The kill scenes are also overly tame due to the PG-13 rating and they feel a bit too generic, lacking a sense of imagination that could have made this a real keeper. However, there is a surprising amount of wit and thoughtfulness that has gone into the main character development and themes about technology usurping human interaction, which makes this a bit more than just a disposable killer doll flick. The movie also takes its sweet time setting things up before introducing M3GAN, but once she enters the storyline there is quite a bit to enjoy with the predictable but effective sense of slowly building menace. There are funny moments sprinkled throughout, but I wished the movie had gotten considerably more off-the-wall and wacky as it progressed. It feels like it was slowly setting us up for a lot of memorable nuttiness (a la Malignant) that it never really delivered on. However, the finale, which is equal parts Terminator and Aliens, was sufficiently bonkers enough for me to look forward to a sequel.
Old 01-06-23, 11:13 AM
  #29  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 44,122
Received 763 Likes on 620 Posts
Re: M3GAN (2023, P: Blum, Wan, D: Johnstone)

$2.75m in previews last night, not too shabby!
Old 01-06-23, 12:16 PM
  #30  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 37,500
Received 144 Likes on 115 Posts
Re: M3GAN (2023, P: Blum, Wan, D: Johnstone)

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees View Post
I had a good amount of fun with this flick, although it suffers from the trailer having given away almost all the kill (and dance) scenes. The kill scenes are also overly tame due to the PG-13 rating and they feel a bit too generic, lacking a sense of imagination that could have made this a real keeper. However, there is a surprising amount of wit and thoughtfulness that has gone into the main character development and themes about technology usurping human interaction, which makes this a bit more than just a disposable killer doll flick. The movie also takes its sweet time setting things up before introducing M3GAN, but once she enters the storyline there is quite a bit to enjoy with the predictable but effective sense of slowly building menace. There are funny moments sprinkled throughout, but I wished the movie had gotten considerably more off-the-wall and wacky as it progressed. It feels like it was slowly setting us up for a lot of memorable nuttiness (a la Malignant) that it never really delivered on. However, the finale, which is equal parts Terminator and Aliens, was sufficiently bonkers enough for me to look forward to a sequel.
If it's as off kilter as you say (and I've been reading), I'll have to reverse my decision to pass on this one.

By the way, I read the studio paid to reshoot this to ensure a PG-13 rating. Odd choice if true. I wonder if there'll be an R-rated cut for the eventual 4K UHD BD.
Old 01-06-23, 07:31 PM
  #31  
Moderator
Thread Starter
 
dex14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 41,557
Likes: 0
Received 3,437 Likes on 2,332 Posts
Re: M3GAN (2023, P: Blum, Wan, D: Johnstone)

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees View Post
I had a good amount of fun with this flick, although it suffers from the trailer having given away almost all the kill (and dance) scenes. The kill scenes are also overly tame due to the PG-13 rating and they feel a bit too generic, lacking a sense of imagination that could have made this a real keeper. However, there is a surprising amount of wit and thoughtfulness that has gone into the main character development and themes about technology usurping human interaction, which makes this a bit more than just a disposable killer doll flick. The movie also takes its sweet time setting things up before introducing M3GAN, but once she enters the storyline there is quite a bit to enjoy with the predictable but effective sense of slowly building menace. There are funny moments sprinkled throughout, but I wished the movie had gotten considerably more off-the-wall and wacky as it progressed. It feels like it was slowly setting us up for a lot of memorable nuttiness (a la Malignant) that it never really delivered on. However, the finale, which is equal parts Terminator and Aliens, was sufficiently bonkers enough for me to look forward to a sequel.
Agreed. It was enjoyable, but pretty tame. I did really enjoy the Allison Williams and Violet McGraw.

Originally Posted by RocShemp View Post
If it's as off kilter as you say (and I've been reading), I'll have to reverse my decision to pass on this one.

By the way, I read the studio paid to reshoot this to ensure a PG-13 rating. Odd choice if true. I wonder if there'll be an R-rated cut for the eventual 4K UHD BD.
I get why they did it. This will have appeal to younger audiences, especially after all the memes and gifs from the trailer.

But they absolutely should release a harder version.
Old 01-06-23, 09:54 PM
  #32  
DVD Talk Legend
 
JeffTheAlpaca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: CA
Posts: 19,836
Received 433 Likes on 369 Posts
Re: M3GAN (2023, P: Blum, Wan, D: Johnstone)

The first time I even knew this existed was this week

I assume since it is a Jan movie it is not very good.
Old 01-06-23, 09:56 PM
  #33  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 44,122
Received 763 Likes on 620 Posts
Re: M3GAN (2023, P: Blum, Wan, D: Johnstone)

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca View Post
The first time I even knew this existed was this week

I assume since it is a Jan movie it is not very good.
Depends on who you ask.


Opening weekend looks to be $26m.

Universal is on a low budget b-movie kick with Violent Night ($20m budget), M3gan ($12m budget) and Cocaine Bear, and it seems to be doing alright for them.

Last edited by RichC2; 01-06-23 at 10:03 PM.
Old 01-06-23, 10:28 PM
  #34  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 37,500
Received 144 Likes on 115 Posts
Re: M3GAN (2023, P: Blum, Wan, D: Johnstone)

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca View Post
The first time I even knew this existed was this week

I assume since it is a Jan movie it is not very good.
The trailers looked really bad, and the comparisons to Malignant made me assume this'd be the kind of bad movie that only works if you laugh at it with a group of friends. However, a lot of the reviews indicate you laugh with this movie.


Old 01-07-23, 09:05 PM
  #35  
DVD Talk God
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 72,638
Received 2,316 Likes on 1,707 Posts
Re: M3GAN (2023, P: Blum, Wan, D: Johnstone)

I had to postpone seeing Megan again until Sunday due to being put on a 3rd straight graveyard shift at work. But, this tweet made chuckle.

Old 01-08-23, 11:41 AM
  #36  
Moderator
Thread Starter
 
dex14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 41,557
Likes: 0
Received 3,437 Likes on 2,332 Posts
Re: M3GAN (2023, P: Blum, Wan, D: Johnstone)

Over $30mil now: https://deadline.com/2023/01/box-off...er-1235212918/

Coming soon: M3GAN 2.0.

Old 01-08-23, 04:17 PM
  #37  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 44,122
Received 763 Likes on 620 Posts
Re: M3GAN (2023, P: Blum, Wan, D: Johnstone)

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
over $30mil now: https://deadline.com/2023/01/box-off...er-1235212918/

coming soon: M3gan 2.0.
m3g2n
Old 01-08-23, 04:34 PM
  #38  
DVD Talk Legend
 
dsa_shea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 21,768
Received 233 Likes on 175 Posts
Re: M3GAN (2023, P: Blum, Wan, D: Johnstone)

M3again
The following users liked this post:
OldBoy (01-09-23)
Old 01-08-23, 05:42 PM
  #39  
DVD Talk Legend
 
stingermck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Cobra Island
Posts: 16,756
Received 280 Likes on 200 Posts
Re: M3GAN (2023, P: Blum, Wan, D: Johnstone)

This was amazing. I feel asleep probably 7 times in Avatar but this one had me fully engaged. Saw it with a good audience too who was having fun. I agree this is a movie you laugh with, not at.

Also it's my wife's name, who dislikes horror movies. So that was a chef's kiss.

Bring on a sequel and a Vs movie with Chucky.
Old 01-08-23, 10:39 PM
  #40  
DVD Talk God
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 72,638
Received 2,316 Likes on 1,707 Posts
Re: M3GAN (2023, P: Blum, Wan, D: Johnstone)

I had a blast watching this. It was so entertaining and funny too. M3gan, the doll, was creepy, funny and sarcastic. Violet McGraw and Allison Williams were both great in this as well and I really enjoyed their interactions with M3gan. Not scary per se, but there were some gruesome kills. I know it got mostly bad reviews, but I had as much fun with this as I did with Malignant, also from Wan. This isn't going to win any awards or break new ground in the genre, but it was fun and I was fully engaged throughout. There were multiple times when my audience burst out laughing. Because it was funny, not because it was something dumb or stupid.
Old 01-08-23, 10:57 PM
  #41  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 44,122
Received 763 Likes on 620 Posts
Re: M3GAN (2023, P: Blum, Wan, D: Johnstone)

Same writer as Malignant (Akela Cooper), I dunno, that one got solid critic reviews, I don't think audiences knew how to react

Last edited by RichC2; 01-08-23 at 11:04 PM.
Old 01-09-23, 11:31 AM
  #42  
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 8,412
Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
Re: M3GAN (2023, P: Blum, Wan, D: Johnstone)

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
I had a blast watching this. It was so entertaining and funny too. M3gan, the doll, was creepy, funny and sarcastic. Violet McGraw and Allison Williams were both great in this as well and I really enjoyed their interactions with M3gan. Not scary per se, but there were some gruesome kills. I know it got mostly bad reviews, but I had as much fun with this as I did with Malignant, also from Wan. This isn't going to win any awards or break new ground in the genre, but it was fun and I was fully engaged throughout. There were multiple times when my audience burst out laughing. Because it was funny, not because it was something dumb or stupid.
I thought it got mostly good reviews? From this board and the usual sites
Old 01-09-23, 08:48 PM
  #43  
DVD Talk Legend
 
asianxcore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: California
Posts: 19,442
Received 297 Likes on 248 Posts
Re: M3GAN (2023, P: Blum, Wan, D: Johnstone)

Saw this earlier last night.

Echoing many of the thoughts already posted, this film was absolutely hilarious and self-aware.

Also, although I wasn't the biggest fan of Hell Fest (2018), between this film and Malignant (2021), I'm going to start following the scripts of Writer Akela Cooper a bit more closely. They usually are absolutely bonkers, which I love.

Apparently, an unrated version of M3GAN is in the works?

https://www.avclub.com/m3gan-unrated...rks-1849965844
Old 01-13-23, 03:11 PM
  #44  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Sunny Hawaii
Posts: 7,505
Received 267 Likes on 175 Posts
Re: M3GAN (2023, P: Blum, Wan, D: Johnstone)

M3GAN and Chucky having a Twitter fight:

The following 3 users liked this post by TheBang:
Crocker Jarmen (01-28-23), Dr. DVD (01-14-23), story (01-13-23)
Old 01-13-23, 03:31 PM
  #45  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Maxflier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 12,857
Received 135 Likes on 97 Posts
Re: M3GAN (2023, P: Blum, Wan, D: Johnstone)

Would be great if they could release an unrated version as soon as it hits digital release like they did with The Invitation.
Old 01-13-23, 03:49 PM
  #46  
Moderator
 
story's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Hope.
Posts: 12,564
Received 1,294 Likes on 769 Posts
Re: M3GAN (2023, P: Blum, Wan, D: Johnstone)

My kids saw commercials for this and want to see it in the theater. Um, probably not.
Old 01-13-23, 03:50 PM
  #47  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 17,109
Received 548 Likes on 400 Posts
Re: M3GAN (2023, P: Blum, Wan, D: Johnstone)

Originally Posted by story View Post
My kids saw commercials for this and want to see it in the theater. Um, probably not.
That's why it got downgraded to PG13. They knew the doll and the viral dance would make kids want to see it so they toned it down to get the lower rating.
Old 01-13-23, 06:01 PM
  #48  
Moderator
 
story's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Hope.
Posts: 12,564
Received 1,294 Likes on 769 Posts
Re: M3GAN (2023, P: Blum, Wan, D: Johnstone)

True, though I still assume it's too intense for kids under 13.l, even if they've seen some PG-13 intense fare. Like, maybe Streaming with tue ability to pause, skip, mute, talk about it, etc., but not the theater.
Old 01-13-23, 06:07 PM
  #49  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 7,958
Received 183 Likes on 106 Posts
Re: M3GAN (2023, P: Blum, Wan, D: Johnstone)

Originally Posted by story View Post
My kids saw commercials for this and want to see it in the theater. Um, probably not.
I donít know how old your kids are, but this was a pretty tame movie. Itís got a little violence, but most is off-screen, the body count is low and it doesnít push the pg-13 rating at all.

My wife and I were really excited for this, as we loved Housebound and usually enjoy creepy doll movies. We took this afternoon off to catch it and were both pretty disappointed. Itís certainly not bad, but it felt like a lot of missed potential. It didnít offer anything very original and was just kind of mildly funny and suspenseful at various parts. The acting was good and it was worth watching at some point, but we see movies together at the theater so rarely that we both wished weíd seen something else and just caught this when it comes to a streaming service.
Old 01-14-23, 11:35 AM
  #50  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Daytona Beach, FL
Posts: 23,141
Received 142 Likes on 109 Posts
Re: M3GAN (2023, P: Blum, Wan, D: Johnstone)

Originally Posted by maxfisher View Post

My wife and I were really excited for this, as we loved Housebound and usually enjoy creepy doll movies. We took this afternoon off to catch it and were both pretty disappointed. Itís certainly not bad, but it felt like a lot of missed potential. It didnít offer anything very original and was just kind of mildly funny and suspenseful at various parts. The acting was good and it was worth watching at some point, but we see movies together at the theater so rarely that we both wished weíd seen something else and just caught this when it comes to a streaming service.

Even with all of the good reviews, I'm only catching this one this afternoon because I have a Regal Unlimited pass and it's not going to cost anything extra, and waiting to rent on streaming would be even more expensive since I watch alone. That being said, I agree that this seems more like something that should go straight to streaming.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.