Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

To Leslie (2022, D: Morris) S: Riseborough, Maron, Royo, Janney, Root, Teague

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-22, 07:08 AM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Years after a lottery win, a West Texas single mother is alone, living hard at the bottom of a bottle. Nowhere left to go, she is forced to come home and confront her past. In Theaters & On Demand October 7.

Starring Andrea Riseborough as Leslie, with Allison Janney, Marc Maron, Stephen Root, Owen Teague, Matt Lauria, James Landry Hébert, & Andre Royo.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8129806

Strong reviews from SXSW earlier this year: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/to_leslie

Michael Morris directed some episodes of Better Call Saul, amongst other some other series.
Old 10-10-22, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
re: To Leslie (2022, D: Morris) S: Riseborough, Maron, Royo, Janney, Root, Teague

Howard Stern was raving about this last week so I watched it this evening. Great film but depressing as fuck. Thankfully it had an uplifting ending. Riseborough is outstanding and turns in an award worthy performance. Maron is also quite good. It's currently at 98% on RT and gets a 9/10 rating from me.
Old 01-16-23, 02:36 PM

Re: To Leslie (2022, D: Morris) S: Riseborough, Maron, Royo, Janney, Root, Teague

So, over the last week or so, there has been a HUGE push by Academy voters (many of them being big-name actors) for recognition of Andrea Riseborough's performance. Kate Winslet did a post-screening Q&A on zoom where she called it the “greatest female performance on-screen I have ever seen in my life.”

This was released by a small distributor with zero marketing. So now these voters are doing the campaigning to promote the film.

I do think the performance was very good, and with a bigger distributor, it may have had a bigger impact in award conversation. All of the supporting cast is damn good too.

It isn't available on any streaming services currently, but can be rented/purchased digitally.
Old 01-16-23, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Re: To Leslie (2022, D: Morris) S: Riseborough, Maron, Royo, Janney, Root, Teague

Originally Posted by dex14
So, over the last week or so, there has been a HUGE push by Academy voters (many of them being big-name actors) for recognition of Andrea Riseborough's performance. Kate Winslet did a post-screening Q&A on zoom where she called it the “greatest female performance on-screen I have ever seen in my life.”

This was released by a small distributor with zero marketing. So now these voters are doing the campaigning to promote the film.

I do think the performance was very good, and with a bigger distributor, it may have had a bigger impact in award conversation. All of the supporting cast is damn good too.

It isn't available on any streaming services currently, but can be rented/purchased digitally.
Yes, recently heard the same. It would be amazing if Riseborough snuck in a nomination at the Oscars since she was all but ignored everywhere else. She was spectacular. And blows Cate Blanchett's performance in "Tár" out of the water.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...5hX6zmWVexFPX0

Old 01-24-23, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by dex14

Well... it paid off. She got nominated.
The following 2 users liked this post by dex14:
[email protected] (01-24-23), Throwing Copper (01-30-23)
Old 01-25-23, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Old 01-30-23, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

After watching the film today, I’m shocked, no matter how small the movie was, that she hadn’t been getting nominated for all the other awards, like holy shit.

She’s very good in this and it’s not all the showy stuff and falling all over acting like a crazy drunk either.

It’s a good movie but it’s certainly a difficult watch for the most part. Andrea is in about 90 or 95% of the scenes.

Old 05-31-23, 11:31 AM

This will be up on Netflix tomorrow.
The following users liked this post:
[email protected] (06-01-23)
Old 06-02-23, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

This was not bad though
Spoiler:
I was surprised it had a happy and not a sad or melancholy ending

Her performance was good but maybe Winslet got carried away with her comments.

A big Maron fan and hope he continues to get the movie roles.

He was great in this.
Old 06-03-23, 06:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

I liked this more than I expected. The whole cast was good but, yeah, Andrea did a very good job. Not an easy watch but I'm glad it ended like it did.