DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Aftersun (2022, W/D: Wells) S: Paul Mescal, Frankie Corio (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/656406-aftersun-2022-w-d-wells-s-paul-mescal-frankie-corio.html)

dex14 09-27-22 08:16 AM

Aftersun (2022, W/D: Wells) S: Paul Mescal, Frankie Corio

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...2de98f1a8f.jpg

From writer/director Charlotte Wells and starring Paul Mescal and Frankie Corio. AFTERSUN – Only in Theaters October 21.

A woman reminisces about embarking on a summer vacation to Turkey with her father during her childhood.

RELEASE DATE: October 21, 2022
DIRECTOR: Charlotte Wells
CAST: Paul Mescal, Frankie Corio, Celia Rowlson-Hall
This premiered at Cannes where it was very highly reviewed: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/aftersun

Barry Jenkins is a producer.

I'm going to check this out at NYFF.

dex14 10-09-22 07:36 AM

Re: Aftersun (2022, W/D: Wells) S: Paul Mescal, Frankie Corio

This was a hell of a directorial debut. It would seem to present itself as a pretty simple story of father and daughter on vacation together. Using the camcorder footage, and bookend scenes, it is a memory piece, and by the end, it is much more than it appeared first. Subtle hints throughout and answers are never fully given, but very effective. Really emotional.

Mescal and Corio give fantastic performances.

This probably has one, if not the best, use of Queen and Bowie's Under Pressure that I've ever seen.

dex14 12-20-22 07:23 AM

This is now available for purchase on digital. Rental will January 17th. I know most people won't pay $20 for a digital purchase, but I am just putting it on people's radar. I think this is one of the best films of the year. It has been on many "best of" lists. Wells has won many best directorial debut awards, Corio breakthrough performance awards, and Mescal's name in lead actor discussions. I think A24 kind of dropped the ball on its release.

Jason Bovberg 12-21-22 10:59 PM

This is the kind of movie that devastates you in retrospect, the more you think about it. Very powerful. And the second incredible child performance I saw this week, next to "The Quiet Girl."

story 12-22-22 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 14208911)
I think A24 kind of dropped the ball on its release.

I wanted to see this but it came and went quickly.

There's probably a better thread to mention this, but my local AMC has TERRIBLE showtimes lately. Most night shows are at 6:00pm-something, it's ridiculous.

dex14 01-17-23 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 14208911)
This is now available for purchase on digital. Rental will January 17th. I know most people won't pay $20 for a digital purchase, but I am just putting it on people's radar. I think this is one of the best films of the year. It has been on many "best of" lists. Wells has won many best directorial debut awards, Corio breakthrough performance awards, and Mescal's name in lead actor discussions. I think A24 kind of dropped the ball on its release.

Now available as a $5.99 rental.

dex14 01-24-23 08:03 AM

Best Actor Oscar nomination for Mescal! Very happy about this.

EddieMoney 02-06-23 08:39 AM

This is the best film I've seen from 2022. Amazing.

The Antipodean 02-22-23 01:40 PM

Boy, this was good, if rather emotionally devastating- saw it in the cinema last night and one of those films where as the credits roll you could hear a lot of sobbing and sniffling.

It’s a slow burn and I had a bit of trouble with the accents at times but you really get sucked into these peoples’ lives - Mescal is great but the child actor is also one of the best I’ve ever seen. Superb direction too, beautifully enigmatic in spots and amazing use of music (yes, “Under Pressure” is overused but there will never be a better use of it than here, and personally the use of Blur’s “Tender” blew me away). It’s not a “fun” watch but it will stick with you and easily the kind of movie I can see revisiting every few years in the hopeful Criterion of it….

dex14 02-22-23 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by The Antipodean (Post 14238508)
easily the kind of movie I can see revisiting every few years in the hopeful Criterion of it….

Yea... I'm thinking this either gets released by Criterion or an A24 Store exclusive release.

I hope more people see it now with Mescal's Oscar nomination. It has definitely stuck with me since I saw it back in October. I'm very much looking forward to seeing what Wells does next.

dex14 03-09-23 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 14238560)
Yea... I'm thinking this either gets released by Criterion or an A24 Store exclusive release.

It looks like the “close friends” (AAA24 members) A24 Instagram has teased a forthcoming A24 exclusive release to be announced soon.

Decker 03-09-23 01:15 PM

So sweet.

JeffTheAlpaca 06-27-23 07:54 PM

This is coming to Paramount + Sat July 1 and Showtime next week.

JeffTheAlpaca 07-07-23 07:15 PM

It was ok and was expecting to really like it or love it but it was just ok and a one time watch.

I did not get the meaning of the dance or club scene flashbacks and what was the meaning and significance?

CristonCole 07-09-23 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca (Post 14294127)

I did not get the meaning of the dance or club scene flashbacks and what was the meaning and significance?

She wishes her dad was still alive to dance with her the way they used to. That’s pretty much it.