Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Bring It On: Cheer or Die (2022) -- the franchise turns slasher

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 09-15-22, 12:32 PM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

The Bring It On cheerleading franchise is getting its own horror movie with SYFY’s Bring It On: Cheer or Die, the franchise’s seventh installment and its first non-comedy movie.

Collider has announced this morning that the world television premiere of Bring It On: Cheer or Die arrives on Saturday, October 8 at 9 p.m. ET/PT on SYFY.

The horror movie is said to feature “cheer routines to die for and a thrilling new energy that flips the longtime cheerleading tournament format on its head.”

Missi Pyle (“Y: The Last Man,” “Dirty John”), Kerri Medders (“Panic,” “SEAL Team”) and Tiera Skovbye (Midnight Sun, “Riverdale”) will star in the highly anticipated SYFY original movie and all-new spine-tingling installment of the beloved cheerleading film franchise. The brand-new film is directed by Karen Lam (SYFY’s “Ghost Wars” & “Van Helsing”), who brings a plethora of genre filmmaking experience and a fresh new perspective to the Bring it On family.

In Bring It On: Cheer or Die from Universal 1440 Entertainment and Beacon Pictures, “a cheer squad’s plan to have a secret practice at a nearby abandoned school on Halloween takes a terrifying turn when their teammates begin disappearing one by one.”

“We are excited to team up with SYFY to continue this ever-popular franchise with an all-new installment from renowned filmmaker Karen Lam, the very first female director of the movie series,” said Glenn Ross, general manager and executive vice president, Universal 1440 Entertainment. “Featuring a fresh take on the franchise’s historically comedic films, this next chapter showcases a multi-talented diverse cast and will entertain long-time Bring It On movie fans as well as open the doors to the legion of fans who enjoy thrillers.”

The film is written by Rebekah McKendry (Glorious) and Dana Schwartz (“She-Hulk”) from a story by Alyson Fouse (Bring It On: Fight to the Finish), executive produced by Beacon Pictures partners Armyan Bernstein and Charlie Lyons, produced by Griff Furst (You Might be the Killer), and co-produced by Tony Gonzalez (Bring It On franchise) and C. Eve Stewart (Tales from the Hood 3). Tony Gonzalez also returns as the choreographer to create the stunts.

Bring It On: Cheer or Die is produced by Universal 1440 Entertainment.
https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/...slasher-movie/
Old 09-15-22, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,073 Likes on 773 Posts
Re: Bring It On: Cheer or Die (2022) -- the franchise turns slasher

Missi Pyle (“Y: The Last Man,” “Dirty John”), Kerri Medders (“Panic,” “SEAL Team”) and Tiera Skovbye (Midnight Sun, “Riverdale”) will star in the highly anticipated SYFY original movie and all-new spine-tingling installment of the beloved cheerleading film franchise.
no such thing
Old 09-15-22, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,160 Likes on 2,036 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
no such thing
For reasons beyond my comprehension, I seem to remember the Sharknado sequels were highly anticipated.

I assume by the same people who hire hookers for the sole purpose of having them step on their balls in high heels.
The following users liked this post:
MysterioMan007 (09-15-22)
Old 09-27-22, 11:16 AM

Received 503 Likes on 364 Posts

This was garbage. I gave it a shot since last year's Slumber Party Massacre remake for the SyFy Channel was pretty good. But this was awful. The kills were bloodless, the characters were boring, the killer was lame, the plot was stupid, and the whole thing looked amateurish. Missi Pyle only has about a minute of screentime. I'm usually pretty forgiving for bad slasher flicks, but this isn't worth watching.
Old 09-27-22, 11:36 AM
Administrator

Received 1,056 Likes on 616 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
This was garbage. I gave it a shot since last year's Slumber Party Massacre remake for the SyFy Channel was pretty good. But this was awful. The kills were bloodless, the characters were boring, the killer was lame, the plot was stupid, and the whole thing looked amateurish. Missi Pyle only has about a minute of screentime. I'm usually pretty forgiving for bad slasher flicks, but this isn't worth watching.
Did SPM have more blood/gore? I do like the original, but thought a remake might be neutered by network standards and practices.
Old 09-27-22, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 272 Likes on 227 Posts

Sad to hear this is just straight up bad, but I will probably just let if run in the background while I play games on my tablet. I have seen all the Bring It On Films (starting with the original the weekend it was released in theaters) and have no plans to stop now.

I even own a handful of the films on blu ray (I think the one with Christina Milian, and the Bring It On film right before this film was released), maybe 1 or 2 others are in my collection.

IBJoel, I did not watch the Slumber Party Massacre remake on SyFy, but I seem to remember that folks who watched indicated it had a fair amount of gore on the screen. I could be completely wrong though.
Old 09-27-22, 12:32 PM

Received 503 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by IBJoel
Did SPM have more blood/gore? I do like the original, but thought a remake might be neutered by network standards and practices.
Slumber Party Massacre was not really a remake. They just took the title and made a new movie. There's a slumber party and a killer with a giant drill. That's about it. It's more of a meta-parody than a straight up slasher. But it was funny and had some decent kill scenes. It wasn't great, but I enjoyed it. It was better than I expected. I don't know about the SyFy Channel version, but I watched it on streaming and it was probably Rated-R.