Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Mr. Harrigan’s Phone (2022, D: Hancock) S: D. Sutherland, Martell -- based on the Stephen King story

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Mr. Harrigan’s Phone (2022, D: Hancock) S: D. Sutherland, Martell -- based on the Stephen King story

Old 09-15-22, 01:30 PM

Received 3,224 Likes on 2,193 Posts

Some connections never die. From Ryan Murphy, Blumhouse and Stephen King comes a supernatural coming-of-age story, starring Donald Sutherland and Jaeden Martell. Written and directed for the screen by John Lee Hancock.

Logline: When Craig, a young boy living in a small town (Jaeden Martell), befriends Mr. Harrigan, an older reclusive billionaire (Donald Sutherland), the two begin to form an unlikely bond over their love of books and reading. But when Mr. Harrigan sadly passes away, Craig discovers that not everything is dead and gone and strangely finds himself able to communicate with his friend from the grave through his iPhone. This supernatural coming-of-age story shows that certain connections are never lost. Based on the short story by Stephen King.
Cast: Donald Sutherland, Jaeden Martell, Joe Tippett, Kirby Howell-Baptiste, Cyrus Arnold, Colin O’Brien, Thomas Francis Murphy and Peggy J. Scott
Director: John Lee Hancock
Old 10-05-22, 07:44 AM

Received 3,224 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Re: Mr. Harrigan’s Phone (2022, D: Hancock) S: D. Sutherland, Martell -- based on the Stephen King story

Out today. Reviews aren't great: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/mr_harrigans_phone
Old 10-05-22, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 942 Likes on 683 Posts
Re: Mr. Harrigan’s Phone (2022, D: Hancock) S: D. Sutherland, Martell -- based on the Stephen King story

Guess I'll lower my expectations.
Old 10-05-22, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 958 Likes on 698 Posts

Too bad, I really liked the short story.
The following 3 users liked this post by cultshock:
Bandoman (10-06-22), Pointyskull (10-16-22), story (10-06-22)
Old 10-06-22, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 942 Likes on 683 Posts

Never read the short so I can't comment how well it was adapted. I actually enjoyed it. It's more storytelling than horror. There's some creepy stuff, of course. It's more Shawshank and less Shining. The acting is solid and nice to see Donald Sutherland. And it's less than two hours to boot. Not as bad as I was suspecting.
Old 10-06-22, 09:10 AM

Received 1,196 Likes on 710 Posts

I'll check it out, I enjoyed the short story. I listened to it on Audible a year or two ago and Will Patton gives an excellent reading.
Old 10-06-22, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 150 Posts

So not like Black Phone?

Anyway another Netflix shit fest most likely and I'll watch someday maybe...