Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Bikeriders (2024, D: Nichols) S: Hardy, Comer, Butler, Shannon

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 08-17-22, 11:40 AM

Received 4,815 Likes on 3,260 Posts

EXCLUSIVE: Mud director Jeff Nichols’ next project looks to be coming together with quite the A-list cast as Deadline is hearing Jodie Comer, Austin Butler and Tom Hardy are set to lead the ensemble of The Bikeriders for New Regency. Nichols will direct the pic, which is a fictional story inspired by the photography of Danny Lyon and his 1967 book The Bikeriders.

Sarah Green and Brian Kavanaugh-Jones are producing through Tri-State, the company they share with Nichols, alongside New Regency. Fred Berger is executive producing.

The film is an original story set in the 1960s following the rise of a fictional Midwestern motorcycle club. Seen through the lives of its members, the club evolves over the course of a decade from a gathering place for local outsiders into a more sinister gang, threatening the original group’s unique way of life.

Nichols has been putting the project together since the spring, when he brought the script to the market and began meeting with talent. Nichols’ scripts always have drawn big talent, going back to films like Take Shelter and Mud, and it wasn’t long before big names began reaching out to discuss his new project. New Regency came on in May as Nichols was meeting with a number of actors for numerous roles, and deals began firming up during the past few weeks to get this film in position to shoot in October.
https://deadline.com/2022/08/jodie-c...cy-1235084092/

EXCLUSIVE: The ensemble for Jeff Nichols next feature film is continuing to grow as sources tell Deadline Michael Shannon, Boyd Holbrook and Damon Herriman have joined The Bikeriders at New Regency. Austin Butler, Jodie Comer and Tom Hardy are already on board. Nichols will direct the pic, which is a fictional story inspired by the photography of Danny Lyon and his 1967 book The Bikeriders.

Sarah Green and Brian Kavanaugh-Jones are producing through Tri-State, the company they share with Nichols, alongside New Regency. Fred Berger is executive producing.

The film is an original story set in the 1960s following the rise of a fictional Midwestern motorcycle club. Seen through the lives of its members, the club evolves over the course of a decade from a gathering place for local outsiders into a more sinister gang, threatening the original group’s unique way of life.
https://deadline.com/2022/08/michael...cy-1235094214/
Old 09-01-23, 07:55 AM

re: The Bikeriders (2024, D: Nichols) S: Hardy, Comer, Butler, Shannon

Some reactions from Telluride:

“Austin Butler, Michael Shannon, Tom Hardy, Mike Faist, Emory Cohen, Norman Reedus… Jeff Nichols’ The Bikeriders is like the Avengers of grease and weird accents. doesn’t really hang together but always fun to see something where everyone is making a CHOICE with each line.” — David Ehrlich, IndieWire

“THE BIKERIDERS isn’t really about a club of bikeriders. It’s an elegy to universes long gone. It affected me for that.” — Kris Tapley

“THE BIKERIDERS disappoints as a weak copy of Goodfellas. Accents go off the wall (especially Jodie Comer) where everyone is making wildly different choices that don’t compliment each other. Austin Butler ekes out a good performance but the framing device does him no favors” — Erik Anderson, Awards Watch

“The Bikeriders is Jeff Nichols love letter to 60s-70s motorcycle culture. It is well-shot but the story did very little to engage me. Jodie Comer delivers the film’s best performance. Austin Butler looks the part but doesn’t really act. Tom Hardy is Tom Hardy.” — Scott Menzel, HFCA

“The Bikeriders is quite good. Jodie Comer is once again incredible (is she ever not?). Pains me a bit to say it but maybe Tom Hardy’s best performance in over a decade? Review coming in the wee morning hours” — Gregory Ellwood, The Playlist

“THE BIKERIDERS: Excellent film written & directed by JEFF NICHOLS! Riveting, engrossing & consuming! You feel the vibe of the last great era of bikeriders! Gritty, moody & atmospheric! Tom Hardy, Austin Butler & Jodie Comer are terrific! A triumph!” — Scott Mantz, Access Hollywood

“Jodie Comer is tremendous in THE BIKERIDERS, a shaggy, familiar, lightly funny ensemble piece from Jeff Nichols.” — David Canfield, Vanity Fair

“The Bikeriders is Jeff Nichols’ most mainstream work to date. Austin Butler, Jodie Comer, and Tom Hardy are suitably intense. There aren’t really any surprises to be found in this one, but it’s a solid film to kick off Telluride.” — Joey Magidson, Awards Circuit

“THE BIKERIDERS is an evocative & masculine story of brotherhood. Austin Butler oozes sex appeal & cool intensity while Tom Hardy’s bears the crushing weight of leadership but it’s Jodie Comer who owns the film with her transformative talent. A roaring return for Jeff Nichols.” — Matt Neglia, Next Best Picture

“There hasn’t been a movie like this in some time. There’s no other way to say it: Dudes…….rock.” — Sean Fenessey, The Ringer

“If Jeff Nichols were to make a Scorsese mafioso movie, it would look very much like BIKERIDERS. Exceptional ensemble work, and a stunning performance from Jodie Comer. Side note: few things as captivating on the big screen as Austin Butler smoking.” — Tomris Laffly, RogerEbert

“This photo by Danny Lyon inspired Jeff Nichols to create one of the most surprising pieces of art I’ve seen. The Bikeriders is a fantastic film full of great performances. Nichols’ best work to date. Astoundingly good. Elvis made Butler an Oscar nominee. This makes him a star.” — Clarence Moye, Awards Daily

“The Bikeriders was absolutely badass. Jodie Comer was lights out. The Goodfellas for motorcycle gangs” — Mark Johnson, Awards Daily

Old 09-06-23, 11:45 AM

From writer-director Jeff Nichols (“Loving,” “Midnight Special,” “Mud”), 20th Century Studios and New Regency, “The Bikeriders” is a furious drama following the rise of a fictional 1960s Midwestern motorcycle club through the lives of its members, starring Jodie Comer (“Killing Eve,” “The Last Duel”), Austin Butler (“Elvis”) and Tom Hardy (“Mad Max: Fury Road,” “The Revenant”).

“The Bikeriders” opens in U.S. theaters on December 1.
Old 09-06-23, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts

Biker culture has always been fascinating to me, so I will definitely give this one a try. Interesting to see Butler mimicking James Dean mimicking a biker.
Old 09-06-23, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,012 Likes on 767 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Biker culture has always been fascinating to me, so I will definitely give this one a try. Interesting to see Butler mimicking James Dean mimicking a biker.
If it makes him lose the fake Elvis drawl he still uses even though the movie is done filming, went into post, has been in theaters, and is on HBO, I'm all for it.

I see a biker movie title like this though, and I expect to see a guy stranded on a satellite with two robot sidekicks in the front row.
Old 09-09-23, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Me as well. No idea why. Same with jail and prison shows.

Currently reading "Hell's Angel" - Sonny Barger's autobiography.
The following users liked this post:
Dr. DVD (09-11-23)
Old 09-10-23, 07:26 PM

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Can someone please tell Hardy, no one believes his stupid accents. They are so fucking bad.
Old 09-11-23, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan1boy
Me as well. No idea why. Same with jail and prison shows.

Currently reading "Hell's Angel" - Sonny Barger's autobiography.

That's a good one. Interesting to read about stuff like the Stones and Altamonte from his perspective. What I really found interesting was that he actually said the Honda motorcycle is one he would recommend for riding purposes, and that the Harley is just what he used because it was the only thing the Angels really accepted. He also said Harelys were best if you wanted to make modifications.

Curious if a character based on him is in the movie.
Old 09-11-23, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,284 Likes on 989 Posts

It's Jeff Nichols, so I'm in! He hasn't directed a film since Midnight Special and that was one of my favorite films of that year.
Old 09-12-23, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
It's Jeff Nichols, so I'm in! He hasn't directed a film since Midnight Special and that was one of my favorite films of that year.
Loving was after Midnight Special.
Old 09-12-23, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 416 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by bchbdaddy
Can someone please tell Hardy, no one believes his stupid accents. They are so fucking bad.
That's not important, he could speak Klingon for all I care. Under all is mumbling everything sounds the same.
Old 09-12-23, 10:30 AM

Received 162 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Runaway
That's not important, he could speak Klingon for all I care. Under all is mumbling everything sounds the same.
I was amazed by his portrayal of Reggie Kray in "Legend" because he spoke so clearly. It was odd to be able to understand him in a role.
Old 11-21-23, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,072 Likes on 769 Posts

Dropped by Disney. Will need a new distributor to get released.
Old 11-21-23, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,069 Likes on 848 Posts
Re: The Bikeriders (2024, D: Nichols) S: Hardy, Comer, Butler, Shannon

Sources say it was New Regency’s decision, not Disney’s, to find a new home for “The Bikeriders.” It’s unclear whether Disney will remain on the hook to release the film if another studio or streamer doesn’t acquire distribution rights.

Weird.
Old 11-22-23, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,912 Likes on 2,792 Posts

Acquired by Focus Features

Old 11-22-23, 10:31 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,253 Likes on 890 Posts

Glad to see this is out of Disney’s hands now. I thought it was coming out before the end of the year, but I’ll definitely go see it in a cinema.
Old 02-29-24, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 825 Likes on 594 Posts

Old 06-17-24, 10:24 AM

Out this week.

Reviews: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_bikeriders
Old 06-17-24, 09:31 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,253 Likes on 890 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
Glad to see this is out of Disney’s hands now. I thought it was coming out before the end of the year, but I’ll definitely go see it in a cinema.
I have no recollection of making this comment.

Anyway, I just saw this. It was Cinemark’s “secret movie” for $5. It was damn good; music was phenomenal, performances were all solid, and it told a pretty engaging story. Nichols delivers once again.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dan:
Dr. DVD (06-19-24), Throwing Copper (06-22-24)
Old 06-18-24, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 385 Likes on 319 Posts

Saw this yesterday evening as a part of Regal's Monday Mystery Movie.

I'll echo many of Dan's thoughts in that I loved the soundtrack and performances were solid, especially from Tom Hardy, Austin Butler, Michael Shannon, Norman Reedus and Mike Faist.

A lot of reviews highlight Jodie Comer's performance which fell mostly flat for me, which is a shame because she literally anchors the chosen narrative/framing of the film (interviews/flashbacks).
Old 06-22-24, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 137 Likes on 116 Posts

Enjoyed this today. It kicks a lot of ass. Hardy, Butler and several others were really good.

I love Jodie Comer and enjoyed her in this type of role too. She has a ton of dialogue in the film.

I believe it will already be on digital July 9. Fun to see it at the theater though.
Old 06-22-24, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 203 Likes on 164 Posts

I found her Chicago accent a little bizarre and off-putting at first, but you get used to it.
Old 06-24-24, 09:58 AM

Another good film from Nichols.
Old 06-24-24, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 286 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by mwbmis
I found her Chicago accent a little bizarre and off-putting at first, but you get used to it.
It sounded like she studied episodes of Chicago Party Aunt to get that accent. Living in the Chicago area all my life, I don't think I've ever heard anyone that speaks like that. It sounds more like what someone from Chicago would sound like when mocking someone from Wisconsin.
Old 06-24-24, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by windom
It sounded like she studied episodes of Chicago Party Aunt to get that accent. Living in the Chicago area all my life, I don't think I've ever heard anyone that speaks like that. It sounds more like what someone from Chicago would sound like when mocking someone from Wisconsin.
She used recordings of the real Kathy for the basis of the accent. Here are examples: https://bleakbeauty.com/picture-essa...io-recordings/

Though “The Bikeriders” is primarily based on a book of photographs, Comer had the added bonus of real-life audio of the woman she was playing. It was 30 minutes long, and it immediately became clear that Kathy didn’t have a typical North Chicago accent (though it is very Midwestern) for reasons unknown.

So Comer was faced with a choice: go for the accent people might expect, considering the Vandals were based out of Chicago, or stay true to Kathy herself. The actress was adamant about doing the latter and she kept that audio close by to do it.

“That was like, basically my Spotify playlist, you know?” Comer told TheWrap. “I lived with that whenever I could. We kind of broke the scenes apart, so when I was kind of working on the script and dissecting it, I had separate audios for the particular scenes. But there was just so much to kind of unearth.”

For those unfamiliar with a Chicago or broadly Midwestern accent, the tricky part is the As and the Os. Those vowels are particularly rounded. On top of that, the real-life Kathy had a very nasal voice, which Comer focused on nailing. At this point, it’s not an accent she could just fall back into.
https://www.thewrap.com/jodie-comer-...he-bikeriders/
The following users liked this post:
windom (06-24-24)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.