Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Saw X (2023, D: Greutert)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Saw X (2023, D: Greutert)

Old 10-21-23, 07:26 PM
TOTY Winner 2018 and Inane Thread Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 846 Posts
Re: Saw X (2023, D: Greutert)

In another world, in another universe, Tobin Bell gets a nomination for Best Actor. This was a sweet role. A tragic anti-hero who just wants to live. This was the least Saw has ever been and it works in spades. I was enamored with it all. Really, for the first time, told a great story.
Old 10-21-23, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 392 Likes on 279 Posts

The first trap with the fingers… I haven’t been watching this series since the first and second movies. But are people getting off that easy? I’d snap my fingers in a heartbeat to get out of that trap.
Old 10-21-23, 10:09 PM

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
The first trap with the fingers… I haven’t been watching this series since the first and second movies. But are people getting off that easy? I’d snap my fingers in a heartbeat to get out of that trap.

That was a dream sequence. Just day dreaming about the possible punishment a sticky finger thief would get before the kid put all the stuff back. I agree that was pretty weak, Id snap all my fingers in a heart beat before getting my eyes sucked out lol. But maybe that's how the first draft of him coming up with his traps works. Pictures a quick idea, tweaks the sketches and ideas in that book he had until he perfects them.
Old 10-22-23, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 392 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
In another world, in another universe, Tobin Bell gets a nomination for Best Actor. This was a sweet role. A tragic anti-hero who just wants to live.
Daw. All jigsaw needed was a hug. 🫶
Old 10-24-23, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,279 Likes on 785 Posts

My son and I saw this yesterday. We both enjoyed it, and that bone marrow trap was easily one of the most gruesome I remember in all the Saw films...though it has been a while since I watched any of the others.

Anyway, one question. How did John Kramer know where to go back to when he wanted to deliver the Tequila and say thanks to Gabriela? They put him in the back of a blacked-out van when they took him to the compound and even mentioned why they did it so he wouldn't know the location. And then after the "surgery" he woke up in a different place entirely. Did I miss something there?
Old 10-24-23, 09:21 AM

Received 4,808 Likes on 3,253 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
My son and I saw this yesterday. We both enjoyed it, and that bone marrow trap was easily one of the most gruesome I remember in all the Saw films...though it has been a while since I watched any of the others.

Anyway, one question. How did John Kramer know where to go back to when he wanted to deliver the Tequila and say thanks to Gabriela? They put him in the back of a blacked-out van when they took him to the compound and even mentioned why they did it so he wouldn't know the location. And then after the "surgery" he woke up in a different place entirely. Did I miss something there?
There is a scene that shows him doing some weird thing with drawings where he uses shadows and building heights to figure out the location. I don't remember exactly how, but there was something that explained it.
Old 11-01-23, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I watched this the other day and I agree that having Tobin Bell back in the driver seat was absolutely fantastic. I loved the idea of a scam surgery ring, and him getting vengeance on them. It was also great to have a movie that was not a prequil, alternative time line, re-boot, continuation ,etc... but just another story of 'this is what happened between this move and the next one.' I was great seeing Amanda there to really 'help' with the logistics of the game.

Why can't they do more of this?

Issues with the movie:

1) Who runs a surgery scam and does not cut into their patients? What?!?!? If they just shaved John's head and left an incision and some stitches --- they would be long gone and he would never have been the wiser. The recovery time alone would be weeks / months of him changing dressings, taking care of the wound (not getting wet, etc).. by the time his head healed he would probably be back in the hospital for his brain tumor.

2) This was only a $250K scam, and when he returns to the warehouse they leave behind a radiation machine, other equipment, and even throw it to the ground like the place was raided. I haven't seen that many used radiation machines on craig's list, and $250K is not that much money to buy a new one, and multiple medical equipment/devices for every scam you pull. Honestly if you are going to run this scam, carefully pack up your equipment and move on. Why did the place need to look like the FBI raided it? (makes no sense).

3) Just a small nit pick, but the boy (Carlos?) doesn't speak English, but when the woman goes out to 'kidnap' him at the end of the movie they are both speaking back and forth in English

Overall - a good addition to the franchise.
The following 2 users liked this post by CPA-ESQ.:
DJariya (11-01-23), Spiderbite (11-03-23)