Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you refuse to watch trailers? If so, why?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Why do you refuse to watch trailers?
I'll watch the 1st trailer and that's it. Any more and the experience is ruined
22.22%
I want to see a new movie 100% clean without seeing any footage
44.44%
Trailers give away too much
55.56%
Other reason
11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-22, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

I've seen some here say that they refuse to watch trailers. I get that some spoil the movie.....ex. Castaway.

But, any other reasons why you refuse to watch them? What about when you go to the movies? Do you just sit in the lobby and wait until the trailers are done?

How are you even aware of new movies if you won't see any trailers? Is a text description good enough? Or just knowing X actor is in it good enough?

Last edited by DJariya; 08-13-22 at 04:25 PM.
Old 08-13-22, 04:25 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts
Re: Do you refuse to watch trailers? If so, why?

I won't refuse to watch to watch trailers if it means I get to find out what kind of movie it is and whether or not I might find it interesting enough to hunt up to own. I hate trailers that give too much away though. I don't want to see every highlight from the movie, I just want a tantalizing glimpse.
Old 08-13-22, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Haven't watched a trailer or commercial for a movie in like 25 years. Just want to know absolutely nothing besides director going in.
The following users liked this post:
rennervision (08-13-22)
Old 08-13-22, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

I avoided everything going into The Last Jedi.

Then I wished I had some warning...
Old 08-13-22, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts

I only see 2-3 movies in the theater each year so I watch those trailers, but that’s about it. I want to go in a movie blind. Even if a trailer doesn’t give away the ending, there’s still memorable scenes, comedy, one liners that get spoiled. I generally read a basic synopsis, rely on certain actors or directors, or word of mouth.
Old 08-13-22, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 348 Likes on 267 Posts

I like the surprises from movies and tv shows.

The moment I realized I should stop watching trailers or next episode previews:

TV - 24 always did next episode previews. Sometimes they would show an explosion or some other exciting scene. A week later, I still remember the preview and the scene is no longer surprising. So I decided to stop watching next episode previews.

Movies - I saw the trailer for Men in Black 2. I saw the movie at the theater. Every funny scene in the movie was in the trailer. EVERY SINGLE ONE. Only movie I ever wanted to walk out on.

Now in this YouTube age, getting hyped for the trailer is only a very brief moment in time. Once you watch the movie, the trailer is worthless. Does anyone care about the No Way Home trailer? Does any care about the Mandalorian season 1 trailer? Nobody cares anymore.
Old 08-13-22, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

I wouldn’t say I refuse to watch them but there are times where I sometimes avoid them. Now days in particular it feels like a lot of trailers are cut in a way where they reveal a lot of the movie. If it’s a movie I really want to see I’ll watch the first trailer but sometimes will avoid subsequent ones.
Old 08-13-22, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by MLBFan24
TV - 24 always did next episode previews. Sometimes they would show an explosion or some other exciting scene. A week later, I still remember the preview and the scene is no longer surprising. So I decided to stop watching next episode previews.
This is when I stopped watching previews/trailers. I’d have a bunch of guys over every week for new episodes and would leave the room while everyone else watched the next week’s preview. They all knew not to say anything all week about what was going to happen.
MLBFan24 (08-13-22)
Old 08-13-22, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Originally Posted by MLBFan24
Now in this YouTube age, getting hyped for the trailer is only a very brief moment in time. Once you watch the movie, the trailer is worthless. Does anyone care about the No Way Home trailer? Does any care about the Mandalorian season 1 trailer? Nobody cares anymore.
The studio won't care anymore. They will get their 50 to 100M views that will get people to come to the theater. Trailers on studio YouTube channels pretty much have an expiration date for the general public once the movie is playing and making money.

Third party channels who also post the same trailer, I don't know what they're getting out of it. The footage doesn't belong to them, so it's not like they can monetize views.
MLBFan24 (08-13-22)
Old 08-13-22, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,096 Likes on 793 Posts

Here's a question on the subject for people who have been watching trailers for decades.

My recollection is that in the 90s and later, trailers were not created with an eye towards keeping any secrets about the plot or what might be big surprising moments. And it was a common complaint that the trailer "ruined" the movie.
I think of the Mel Gibson movie Ransom that had what was supposed to be a twist in the plot, but all the advertising revealed it, so whatever suspense was supposed to be there in the first half of the movie was ruined.

I wonder if in the last 10-15 years, with more access to the internet for information, and more awareness of spoilers, if studios have changed their approach.

Have they consciously pulled back from revealing too much? Have directors gotten involved in controlling what the trailers are showing?

I generally try to avoid trailers and even like to show up fro a movie 15 minutes after the scheduled start time.
Old 08-13-22, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

I watch trailers, hope that's not thread crapping. There wasn't a selection for that on the poll. I don't go into a movie with a mental list of things to look for. Once the movie starts and I get into it, I just let the movie unfold.
Old 08-13-22, 06:12 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Refuse? No. But I have been actively trying to not watch as many. For franchise films... I don't really care.
Old 08-13-22, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 478 Likes on 314 Posts

It's a balancing act. I go to the movies a lot, so I see a lot of trailers over and over.

I liked the first trailer for Nope, which didn't tell me much about the movie, only giving me a hint of what it was going to look and feel like. I enjoyed seeing it over and over, as it was building anticipation for the movie. But when they put out the second trailer, that seemed to be a more traditional one that was telling me the story of the movie. That was way more than I wanted to know, so yes, I would leave the theatre when it played. I knew I was going to see Nope right away, and wanted to go in as cold as possible.

A movie like Elvis can't really give away much in the trailer due to the type of movie it is (bio-pic about a huge star) so I have no trouble watching the trailer for that.

I wish I hadn't see the Lightyear trailer which revealed
Spoiler:
Buzz winds up a hundred years into the future
. I feel cheated I didn't get to experience the same surprise Buzz did
Spoiler:
the first time he came back and it was three years later

I'm trying to think if there's ever been a movie I had no interest in seeing, and the trailer convinced me to give it a shot, and it wound up being a great film. Nothing is coming to mind. Trailers have spoiled things far more time then they've helped me.

So I suffer through the spoilery trailers in order to see the good ones (the Coen brothers always put out stellar trailers). If it is a movie I really want to see, I'll skip the trailers even if it means leaving the theatre for a few minutes, or just not looking at the screen and humming loud in my head.
Old 08-13-22, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

I don't refuse to watch trailers. It's not like if one comes on I'll run away or cover my eyes, but they aren't something I'll seek out. As mentioned, they'll often give away key moments or lines, but they often aren't even accurate representations of the movie. Haven't we all watched a trailer and expected a horror movie or a comedy but wound up with something far different? Along similar lines, a trailer can prejudice you do a movie going in. A poor trailer can leave you not wanting to watch what's actually a good movie, or it might already have you less inclined to be fully open to it.
Old 08-13-22, 06:56 PM

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I do not watch any OTA so I do not see any trailers. I will only watch a trailer for a movie I'm interested in on my non signed in YT account other wise I'd be inundated with trailers I don't care to see.
Old 08-13-22, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 807 Likes on 681 Posts

I'll almost never watch trailers for certain genres. Trailers mostly only work for tentpole films these days.
Old 08-13-22, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

I don't "refuse" to watch trailers but I don't seek them out. I've found I'm usually better off not having seen them. "Cast Away" was a perfect example of the trailer ruining the movie as you then already know whether Tom Hanks got off the island or not, even though that happened about halfway through the movie. I like to know as little as possible about movies most of the time, usually all I'll know going in is the title and cast.
Old 08-13-22, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 478 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
"Cast Away" was a perfect example of the trailer ruining the movie as you then already know whether Tom Hanks got off the island or not, even though that happened about halfway through the movie.
Zemeckis spoiled both his movies that summer in the trailers, as the one for What Lies Beneath made it clear
Spoiler:
Harrison Ford becomes the bad guy
. I've heard Zemeckis say in numerous interviews that he while he personally prefers to know as little about a movie as possible, all the research shows more people will see a movie if they know what happens in it, and he feels obligated to spoil the movie in order to sell more tickets.
Old 08-14-22, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

I really like trailers but agree that all too many 'spoil' something about the movie. I guess technically any scene from the movie is a 'spoiler' but you know what I mean. And yes, some trailers mislead or misdirect (a little more positive spin) what the movie is. Sometimes that's good and sometimes it's not. I thought one of the trailers for Last Night in Soho really misdirected the feel of the movie.
I have heard that more people prefer, or are OK, with spoilers or knowing the ending than not OK.
It's a fine line between 'tantalizing' and 'spoiling'.
Sometimes I'll see a bunch of movies in the theatre in a short time and I'll see the same trailer repeatedly, I get tired of seeing the same ones, but that's different.
Old 08-14-22, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

I do watch trailers, but I turn them off, if I get the feeling they're showing me every story beat and I don't watch different trailers for a movie, just the first, since you can piece together a lot of the story from different trailers. I never watch trailers for a future episode of a show. Sometimes I even avoid the credits at the beginning of an episode. Lost spoiled a lot of surprise appearances, because I recognized the actor's name.
Old 08-14-22, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

If I already know I am going to see the movie, I generally avoid the trailers any more. They have gotten horrible about trailers giving a beat-for-beat summary of the movie instead of teasing me into wanting to see more.

If I know nothing or next-to-nothing about a movie and I might be interested, I will generally stick around for the trailer. If it gives away too much (or seems to), it will hurt the chances I will see the film.

Nope was an interesting twist on that. Like Crocker Jarmen, I was totally down with the first teaser. I tried to avoid them after that, but I failed and I was not happy. Here is where this twist got twisted though ...

Spoiler:
As soon as I saw the UFO, I knew it wasn't going to be a UFO. My first reaction was WTF!? How did Peele allow them to screw this up!? Then I thought ... uh ... misdirect. Now, I didn't know what it was going to be, but I already knew it wasn't a UFO.

Old 08-15-22, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

I'll watch the first trailer released, without sound. After that, no other trailers. On the rare chance I'm at a theater, I'll watch the trailers while I'm there,and just roll with anything they reveal.
Old 08-15-22, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

I'll watch the first trailer and that's it. I'll close my eyes in a theater if a new trailer comes up.

I'm too good at remembering what people were wearing in scenes or where they are - even "non-spoiler" trailers have given away moments I would rather see without any information.

Old 08-15-22, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Naw, I love trailers. They build excitement or confirm the need to avoid. I've never had a film spoiled for me even when the trailer had revealing info. In the early days of Smartphones, I actually made phone purchase choices based on being able to watch trailers on my phone with high quality video and sound, Hated being late to theaters because I didn't want to miss Trailers.

LOVE THEM

Last edited by Giantrobo; 08-15-22 at 01:25 PM.
Old 08-15-22, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I don't refuse to watch them, but if they give away too much, I might not see the movie. Case in point, the trailer for the upcoming George Clooney/Julia Roberts film, "Ticket to Paradise," which pretty much gives away the ENTIRE MOVIE in the trailer.