Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Strangers: Chapter 1, 2, 3 (2024, D: Harlin) -- new trilogy

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 08-09-22, 03:43 PM

Received 4,551 Likes on 3,087 Posts

Widely considered one of the great home invasion slasher films of all time, it took a ridiculous ten years for Bryan Bertino’s The Strangers to get a proper sequel – the criminally underrated The Strangers: Prey at Night, directed by Johannes Roberts.

It’s nearly been another five since the masked killers slashed up a trailer park, and now, it appears there are fresh plans for their return.

Bertino’s original screenplay was discovered by Roy Lee, the powerhouse producer of hit horror films including The Ring, Poltergeist (2015), Blair Witch, and IT (2017).

Next up for Lee is the highly-anticipated Barbarian, 20th Century Studios and New Regency’s thriller that opens in theaters next month.

Bloody Disgusting’s The Boo Crew Podcast had the distinct pleasure of speaking with Lee over the weekend, who was asked about the possibility of another Strangers sequel.

What he revealed is quite shocking…

“I think the next three are in production next month with another filmmaker that people will know,” Lee tells us exclusively.

He didn’t share any other details but the only other time anything like this has happened was with Netflix, who produced three Fear Street films back-to-back-to-back with a single filmmaker.

Universal Pictures was behind the first film while Aviron Pictures distributed the sequel. It’s unclear who is behind the new trilogy, but this should be nothing short of explosive news when it’s eventually announced.

In the 2008 movie The Strangers, the masked trio slashed up Liv Tyler and Scott Speedman at their vacation home, while the sequel took the terror to a trailer park. Any guesses where the new trilogy will take place? Maybe a high rise (I kid)?
https://bloody-disgusting.com/exclus...nth-exclusive/

As we reported yesterday, it looks like THREE new sequels to The Strangers are on the menu, with producer Roy Lee (The Ring, Poltergeist, Blair Witch, IT, Barbarian) telling Bloody Disgusting’s The Boo Crew Podcast that “the next three are in production next month.” What can we expect from the third, fourth, and fifth installments in The Strangers franchise, you ask?

For starters, Bloody Disgusting did some digging in the past 24 hours and we have been able to slash up some more exclusive intel. We’re now being told that Renny Harlin is on board to direct one if not all three brand new upcoming sequels in The Strangers franchise!

Renny Harlin has a long history in the horror genre, most notably directing A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master in 1988. Harlin’s horror credits also include Prison (1987), Deep Blue Sea (1999), Exorcist: The Beginning (2004), The Covenant (2006), and Devil’s Pass (2013).

Outside the horror genre, Renny Harlin has directed notable films including Die Hard 2 (1990), Cliffhanger (1993), The Long Kiss Goodnight (1996), and The Legend of Hercules (2014).

Renny Harlin is needless to say a very interesting choice to take over The Strangers franchise, and it’s probably safe to expect that he’ll inject new life and new energy into the saga.

Stay tuned for more on all things The Strangers as we learn it.

The Strangers began in 2008 with Bryan Bertino’s original home invasion horror movie, a terrifying film that introduced three masked killers who returned 10 years later with The Strangers: Prey at Night in 2018. The first film took place in a remote house in the woods while the sequel brought the murderous Man in the Mask, Dollface and Pinup Girl into a trailer park.

Where will they strike next? We’ll find out real soon…
https://bloody-disgusting.com/exclus...els-exclusive/
Old 08-09-22, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,187 Likes on 914 Posts
re: The Strangers: Chapter 1, 2, 3 (2024, D: Harlin) -- new trilogy

They'll micro-budgeted and Harlin needs the work. I liked the previous two films.
Old 09-13-22, 02:06 PM

As Bloody Disgusting recently told you, The Strangers franchise is coming back to life with a brand new trilogy of movies, and the official press release just went out this afternoon.Lionsgate announced today it has begun production on The Strangers remake, set to be a trilogy of films being produced in Bratislava, Slovakia. Based on the original 2008 cult horror franchise of the same name, the project features rising star Madelaine Petsch (“Riverdale,” “Jane”), who drives cross-country with her longtime boyfriend (Froy Gutierrez, “Cruel Summer,” Hocus Pocus 2, “Teen Wolf”) to begin a new life in the Pacific Northwest. When their car breaks down in Venus, Oregon, they’re forced to spend the night in a secluded Airbnb, where they are terrorized from dusk till dawn by three masked strangers.

From there, the filmmakers are expanding the story in new and unexpected ways over three films. Additional cast includes Gabe Basso (Hillbilly Elegy). Renny Harlin (Cliffhanger, Deep Blue Sea, Die Hard 2) is directing from a script by Alan R. Cohen and Alan Freedland (The Freak Brothers, Due Date). Lionsgate will distribute worldwide.

“When setting out to remake The Strangers, we felt there was a bigger story to be told, which could be as powerful, chilling, and terrifying as the original and could really expand that world,” explained producer Courtney Solomon. “Shooting this story as a trilogy allows us to create a hyperreal and terrifying character study. We’re fortunate to be joining forces with Madelaine Petsch, an amazing talent whose character is the driving force of this story.”

The Strangers remake trilogy is produced by Solomon (“Cake,” “After” film franchise), Mark Canton (“Power” Universe, “300”), Christopher Milburn (The Protégé, Unhinged), Gary Raskin (“Midway”), Charlie Dombeck (“The War with Grandpa”), Alastair Birlingham (“Moonfall”) and Executive Producers Andrei Boncea, Dorothy Canton, and Roy Lee, along with co-producer Rafaella Biscayn and Slovakia-based Frame Film SK. Johanna Harlin, Juan Garcia Peredo and Alberto Burgueno also co-produce the film.

Said Mark Canton, “When you’ve got two horror aficionados like Courtney Solomon and Renny Harlin coming together, you’ve got all you need to create some incredibly smart, lean-forward-in-your-seat, addictively thrilling entertainment. Fans of the original film will be blown away; new audiences will discover the intensely unnerving world of The Strangers.”

Eda Kowan, Lionsgate’s EVP of Acquisitions & Co-Productions, added, “The Strangers taps into such primal fears that it will always be relevant – but what truly sets this project apart is the way the filmmakers have expanded the story and given these characters a new life.”

Renny Harlin said, “My mother instilled the love of movies in me through the world of Hitchcock and other masters of suspense and horror. My breakthrough to Hollywood happened with the success of A Nightmare on Elm Street 4. It is only fitting that I get to return to my favorite genre with the incredibly well written trilogy of The Strangers. The characters and the storyline are all grounded in reality and offer me an endless tapestry of haunting visuals in bringing these movies alive.”

Renny Harlin has a long history in the horror genre, most notably directing A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master in 1988. Harlin’s horror credits also include Prison (1987), Deep Blue Sea (1999), Exorcist: The Beginning (2004), The Covenant (2006), and Devil’s Pass (2013).

Outside the horror genre, Renny Harlin has directed notable films including Die Hard 2 (1990), Cliffhanger (1993), The Long Kiss Goodnight (1996), and The Legend of Hercules (2014).

The Strangers began in 2008 with Bryan Bertino’s original home invasion horror movie, a terrifying film that introduced three masked killers who returned 10 years later with The Strangers: Prey at Night in 2018. The first film took place in a remote house in the woods while the sequel brought the murderous Man in the Mask, Dollface and Pinup Girl into a trailer park.
https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/...tsch-starring/
Old 09-13-22, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,187 Likes on 2,055 Posts

1. I didn’t even realize there was a Strangers 2. I kept wondering why the article referred to it as a franchise with only one film.

2. It sounds like the goal of these movies is to give us more backstory of the intruders which sounds like the exact opposite of what I’d prefer to see. Having random murderers show up at these people’s houses, with no motive, no rhyme or reason, is far scarier than being involved in some mass conspiracy or something.

I guess they’ll have to change the title of these movies from “The Strangers” to “The People We’ve Learned a Lot About”.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (09-11-23)
Old 09-14-22, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

Given how Strangers: Prey at Night ended, how is there even sequels at all? A prequel, maybe? Or a new set of Strangers? Either way, as long as its not a remake, I'm in.
IBJoel (09-11-23)
Old 09-14-22, 04:27 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

so many sequels, the Strangers gonna become family
HeIsTheZissou (09-11-23)
Old 09-14-22, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

I want to see The Strangers Vs. The Greasy Strangler
Old 09-16-22, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 188 Likes on 126 Posts

I've like all of these but the original Funny Games is still the best (which is weird seeing as how the American remake which is garbage is a sot for shot remake by the same director).

Last edited by Rival11; 09-16-22 at 11:26 PM.
Old 09-17-22, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 288 Likes on 210 Posts

"The Strangers" is one of the greatest and most effective thrillers ever made IMO. The sequel was quite good too. I'll give these other three films a chance.
Old 09-17-22, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,298 Likes on 943 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
I want to see The Strangers Vs. The Greasy Strangler
Home invasion is bad enough until the introduction of grease into the situation.

And props for bringing The Greasy Strangler into the discussion. A truly odd movie. As an aside, I have a friend (Rick Daniels) who's a local actor that worked with Michael St. Michaels on another indie movie (Strange Toys).
dsa_shea (09-17-22)
Old 09-18-22, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 81 Posts

But when do we get The Strangers Home Alone mash up?
Old 09-10-23, 09:01 AM

Out in 2024... I wonder how they will be released.

Old 10-04-23, 09:27 AM

Cliffhanger and Deep Blue Sea director Renny Harlin is no stranger to The Strangers, the 2008 home invasion horror film in which a couple played by Liv Tyler and Scott Speedman face off against masked killers."I remember the experience of seeing it," says Harlin, whose own horror credits include 1984's A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master and 2004's Exorcist: The Beginning. "I didn't really know anything about it when I saw it and I just loved it. I thought it was fantastic and it's stuck in my mind as one of my favorite horror films." The Strangers fan is now a Strangers filmmaker three times over. Harlin has directed a trilogy of movies inspired by filmmaker Bryan Bertino's original film. "When this opportunity came to me, the idea of not doing a remake or a reboot but doing a trilogy based on the original film, I thought it was an incredible opportunity," he says.

The Strangers: Chapter 1 stars Madelaine Petsch (Riverdale) as a young woman named Maya starting a new life with her fiancé Ryan, played by Froy Gutierrez (Teen Wolf, Cruel Summer). During a road trip stop at a remote vacation rental in the woods, they become the prey of a mysterious gang of masked strangers who attack without warning or reason. Harlin explains that the first film, written by Alan R. Cohen & Alan Freedland, "is close to the original movie in its set-up of a young couple in an isolated environment in a house and a home invasion happening for random reasons."

The director teases that the trilogy, which is completed by The Strangers: Chapter 2 and The Strangers: Chapter 3, will "explore what happens to the victims of this kind of violence and who the perpetrators are of this kind of violence. Where are they coming from and why?"

Harlin admits that casting his two leads was a testing task.

"Obviously Liv Tyler and Scott Speedman did a fantastic job in the original film and those were some big shoes to fill," says the director. "We looked long and hard for our scream queen. When I spoke with Madelaine I just knew that she was an exceptional person, exceptional actor, and that's what it took to play this part. In the same way, after looking long and hard, we found Froy Gutierrez, who is another wonderful young actor. We wanted a couple who feel natural and relaxed together. Their relationship, maybe it's not identical to the relationship in the original film, but it's something that feels very natural and very real, and that to me was the key to this movie and this trilogy. It's the realism."

The way the director tells it, a similar amount of effort was put into recreating the masks worn by the killers in the original movie as into picking the cast.

"We felt it was central to the movie that the masks are the same," says Harlin. "The masks in The Strangers are not like the Batsuit or something that evolves over years. To us, the Strangers are the Strangers, and I, as an audience member, wanted to see them just the way they were in the original film. Is there a place where you can find these masks? No. It was a process of studying what they were like, how were they made, how they fit on the actors' faces, how [to] create that same impression. It was one of the real challenges of the movie."

Harlin shot all three films simultaneously last year in Slovakia. The director says the production was, "the challenge of a lifetime, but I also really embraced it. On a Monday morning, I could be shooting the second chapter, and Monday afternoon I could be shooting the first chapter, and Tuesday morning I could be shooting the third chapter. it was incredibly demanding for the actors, for the continuity in terms of the make-up and wardrobe, and for my director of photography, because we wanted to create a visual language that develops so that the movies get bigger, more epic, as we go [on]. It just kept all of our juices pumping all the time."

The Strangers Trilogy is set for release in theaters next year. Harlin and producer Courtney Solomon will be participating in a panel about the three films at New York Comic Con on Oct. 12.

Exclusively see first look images from The Strangers: Chapter 1 above.
https://ew.com/movies/the-strangers-...elaine-petsch/
Old 10-13-23, 08:43 AM

Re: The Strangers Trilogy (2024, D: Harlin) -- 3 films in the works

The Strangers: Chapter 1 - Coming 2024. Watch the first clip starring Madelaine Petsch that debuted today at New York Comic Con.

From director Renny Harlin (Cliffhanger, Die Hard 2, The Exorcist: The Beginning) comes The Strangers: Chapter 1. Madelaine Petsch (TV’s “Riverdale”) stars as a young woman on a road trip with her fiancé. But when they stop at a remote vacation rental in the woods, they become the prey of a vicious gang of masked strangers who attack without warning or reason, and must use courage and cunning to survive one long, terrifying night.
Old 10-13-23, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 288 Likes on 210 Posts
Re: The Strangers: Chapter 1, 2, 3 (2024, D: Harlin) -- new trilogy

Fucking hell. I didn't realize Renny stinkin' Harlin was behind these new movies. Hard pass.
Old 10-14-23, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 619 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
The director teases that the trilogy [...] will "explore [...] who the perpetrators are of this kind of violence. Where are they coming from and why?"
Granted I only saw the terrible The Strangers: Prey at Night, but isn't the point of these movies that we're not supposed to know the identities or motivations of these killers?
Old 10-15-23, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, fuck motivation. That's what made the first two films cool. They just did what they did "because they were home."
Old 10-15-23, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,187 Likes on 2,055 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Fucking hell. I didn't realize Renny stinkin' Harlin was behind these new movies. Hard pass.
I had to check Harlin’s filmography because it feels like I enjoy his movies. Nope. I liked Die Hard 2 and Cliffhanger but those were both 30+ years ago.

He’s made Uwe Boll quality movies for that last few decades.
Old 10-15-23, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 602 Likes on 444 Posts

I just skimmed past those two ‘First Look’ promo ads posted by Dex15 back in September. I saw them back then, but only now realized that the hand in the second image casts a shadow, while the entire person in the first image does not. Is this some clue to the nature of these strangers, or just shitty Photoshop work by Lionsdate? I’m guessing the latter.

And based on that clip, plus Harlin’s filmography in recent years, I can’t see these getting much of a theatrical push. They’re talking so much about all three of them up front – not even keeping the sequels a bit hush-hush for marketing purposes – that they kinda smell ready-made for streaming.
Old 10-15-23, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 619 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I had to check Harlin’s filmography because it feels like I enjoy his movies. Nope. I liked Die Hard 2 and Cliffhanger but those were both 30+ years ago.

He’s made Uwe Boll quality movies for that last few decades.
I liked those two as well as The Long Kiss Goodnight, Deep Blue Sea, and Cutthroat Island. Although I wouldn't call it good, I can't say I disliked Skiptrace. Nothing else he's done seems worth remembering.
GoldenJCJ (10-15-23)
Old 10-16-23, 05:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 602 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I liked those two as well as The Long Kiss Goodnight, Deep Blue Sea, and Cutthroat Island. Although I wouldn't call it good, I can't say I disliked Skiptrace. Nothing else he's done seems worth remembering.
SKIPTRACE wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be despite my distaste for post-2008 Jackie Chan (the person, and most of his movies). All the other Harlin movies you mentioned,’plus DIE HARD 2 and CLIFFHANGER mentioned just prior, are all in my collection. His studio work is mostly watchable thanks to the budgets he worked with. I can even give DRIVEN a pass on the right day. Most of his post-studio stuff is either utterly average, or actually beneath his skills, but I guess he’s had to work all these years. THE MISFITS was pretty much rock-bottom for me, a ‘big’ looking but shallow vanity vehicle for its wealthy wannabe-playboy producer (who also “co-starred”, horribly). Even crap like that still had a ‘scale’ to it that Harlin does well, at least visually.

Incidentally, Harlin did a couple of other China movies after SKIPTRACER. I haven’t seen the second one, a costume fantasy called LEGEND OF THE ANCIENT SWORD (I doubt it will ever get released over here because China makes so much bloated CGI-fest crap like it that nothing stands out), but I did see his third one, a crime thriller called BODIES AT REST – which was convincingly set in Hong Kong despite being filmed in China, sadly – and was pleasantly surprised at how well it was written and plotted for a China film in this genre. Turns out it was written by an American (with only a few 90’s sitcom episodes under his belt), and also written years earlier, and also set in Texas originally. Apparently it went through some translation and localization for Chinese audiences, but the basic American-style crime-film structure felt reasonably intact, which made it seem almost too good for something produced in the local market. Still, it’s no classic.

Prior to these STRANGER movies, he was working on an action picture called THE BRICKLAYER with Aaron Eckhart, but I’m doubtful that will be a theatrical release either.
Old 03-01-24, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 722 Likes on 527 Posts

Old 03-02-24, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 188 Likes on 126 Posts

Actually looks pretty good, but I take it the last shot of the trailer is acually one of the last scenes of the movie and that it's actually his girlfriend under the mask with her mouth taped shut and he shoots her then they cut to the real killer putting on a new mask.
Old 03-02-24, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I guess it would have been too expensive to have kept them going after the Prey at Night, which was awesome. Then again, the original Strangers film came out like 15 years ago, so these new films are for generation Z or whomever. Even the dialogue is verbatim from the original.

I guess it's cool that Renny Harlin got some work and will have these getting a theatrical release. He's been DTV for a long time.
Old 03-02-24, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,150 Likes on 900 Posts

The original was good. Haven’t seen the sequel so I’m not sure I’d have a lot of desire to watch a trilogy. Also kind of over the horror trilogy trend. Unless there’s truly a reason just make them one at a time and go from there if needed.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.