DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Bad movies with good music (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/655747-bad-movies-good-music.html)

Eric F 07-10-22 07:01 PM

Bad movies with good music

(in before every Star Wars movie that’s not 4-6)

I was watching the 1989 movie Warlock with Julian Sands (I knew what I was getting going in) and was surprised to notice that Jerry Goldsmith did the soundtrack. Any other bad films that had good soundtracks by notable (or not so notable) composers?

JeffTheAlpaca 07-10-22 07:13 PM

Re: Bad movies with good music

It is not a bad or horrible movie but Wyatt Earp has some great music and when you hear it you would think it is a great big important movie.

DJariya 07-10-22 07:20 PM

I saw it a few months ago on HBO Max for the 1st time ever. I know my opinion is probably in the minority, but Purple Rain is awful, but it does have really good music, especially Prince's soundtrack.

Eric F 07-10-22 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 14130471)
I saw it a few months ago on HBO Max for the 1st time ever. I know my opinion is probably in the minority, but Purple Rain is awful, but it does have really good music, especially Prince's soundtrack.

I can’t think of a single movie that’s a vehicle/vanity project for a musician that’s “good”. It goes without saying that the music is usually good/great.

Decker 07-10-22 07:43 PM

Fifty Shades of Grey is a legitimately terrible film, but it has great music, both with wonderful original pop songs by The Weeknd, Annie Lennox and Ellie Goulding, but also a really nice score from Danny Elfman.

Norm de Plume 07-10-22 07:49 PM

Good, novel topic, however, nothing comes to mind.

dhmac 07-10-22 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 14130471)

Mulder agrees with you:
Spoiler:

Mulder on Purple Rain: "Great album. Deeply flawed movie."

GoldenJCJ 07-10-22 07:58 PM

Probably a matter of opinion but I think both Rudy and Dragonheart are bad movies. They both have great music though.

tommyp007 07-10-22 08:00 PM

This Purple Rain blasphemy will not be tolerated!

However Graffiti Bridge is a terrible movie with great music.

Count Dooku 07-10-22 08:43 PM

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...0103826982.jpg

Paff 07-11-22 12:33 AM

I hesitated to "like" your post, Dooks, 'cuz I friggin' love Rock and Roll High School, but then I realized it was only because of the Ramones. It is indeed a very bad movie.

A lot of movies centered around the Punk Rock scene qualify: Times Square, Get Crazy, Ladies and Gentlemen the Fabulous Stains. Times Square in particular has a top notch punk and new wave soundtrack, but the movie is quite forgettable.

Eric F 07-11-22 02:14 AM

1941 is a god awful movie with a really good John Williams soundtrack.

Runaway 07-11-22 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 14130475)
I can’t think of a single movie that’s a vehicle/vanity project for a musician that’s “good”. It goes without saying that the music is usually good/great.

What about 8 Mile? That's a vehicle for Eminem and in my opinion a good movie.

tanman 07-11-22 05:18 AM

The best example of this:

I think about it every time I hear it. I wonder how many people, of the 170 million views in this video alone, know that this song comes from this movie:

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...7b0da700b5.png

That features an entire song about conjoined twin dragons fantasizing about being separated.
https://cdn.retrojunk.com/article-im...77133be2e9.jpg

The original context for the song complete with child kidnapping and grotesque bad guys fused with medieval weapons:

tanman 07-11-22 05:32 AM

I've never watched Twilight, no desire to either, but I do love this song and especially this acoustic cover of it.

tanman 07-11-22 05:39 AM

As far as soundtracks is concerned, while not a terrible movie by any means and of course is an absolute classic, but John William's Home Alone soundtrack is far and away better then any Christmas comedy deserves. And I think is a major reason for it being cemented as a beloved holiday movie. Nothing sounds quite as timeless as a John William's soundtrack.

OldBoy 07-11-22 08:52 AM

Flash Gordon (1980)...Queen!

JeffTheAlpaca 07-11-22 09:06 AM

Magic from Xanadu that Olivia Newton John movie is a good song from a really bad movie.

Saturday Night Fever could be in the same league as Purple Rain where the music was better than the movie.

TomOpus 07-11-22 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca (Post 14130704)
Magic from Xanadu that Olivia Newton John movie is a good song from a really bad movie.

I'll watch it just for the ELO music. ONJ is just a bonus muse.

Eric F 07-11-22 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Runaway (Post 14130608)
What about 8 Mile? That's a vehicle for Eminem and in my opinion a good movie.

Haven't seen it- if it is any good that's probably in the minority.

TomOpus 07-11-22 01:10 PM

I guess it depends on musical taste but pretty much any Elvis movie, with the exception of the current one.

Noonan 07-11-22 01:22 PM

2 Fast 2 Furious

ViewAskewbian 07-11-22 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 14130693)
Flash Gordon (1980)...Queen!

Agreed! Love the soundtrack!

I'll add Batman Forever.

Eric F 07-11-22 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by TomOpus (Post 14130875)
I guess it depends on musical taste but pretty much any Elvis movie, with the exception of the current one.

Jailhouse Rock (1957) is good.

Inhumans99 07-11-22 03:26 PM

I actually really like this film, but I am sure many folks would say that The 6th Day might qualify for this thread (although IMDB shows it has a 5.9 rating, so maybe not considered a horrible movie). I am a fan of the Trevor Rabin synth heavy score, and have listened to it on multiple occasions using the youtube music streaming app on my Google device.