Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

2022 Movies - Share your quick thoughts on what you've seen

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-22, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

We are now 7 months into 2022. I thought it would be interesting to post a thread for people here to share some quick thoughts on what they have liked among the 2022 movie releases and what were their disappointments.

I know not everyone here reads every movie thread or reviews thread. So just some quick thoughts. Loved, like, Meh, or disappointment or thought sucked. No long deep analysis. However you want to phrase it.

Also, this is for 2022 movies. Not movies from 2021, 2020 or 2019 that you were seeing in 2022 for the 1st time. That's for the Rank 'em as you see them thread. If you're not up to speed with 2022 movies or have only seen a couple, then maybe this thread isn't for you to comment on. This is not just theatrical movies. It can also apply to streaming originals or VOD/DTV movies.

If you feel like it, you can also bump this thread later on when you see more movies and always add to your list.

Here's Mine:

Loved:
Top Gun Maverick
Everything Everywhere All at Once
Elvis

Liked:
Scream
Death on the Nile
Marry Me
Uncharted
The Batman
Fresh
X
The Lost City
Ambulance
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
The Northman
The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent
Memory
Doctor Strange and the Multiverse of Madness
Jurassic World: Dominion
Lightyear
The Black Phone
The Cursed

Meh:
The 355
Blacklight
Dog
The Contractor
Watcher
Minions: The Rise of Gru
The Bad Guys

Disappointment:
Umma

Sucked:
Moonfall
Firestarter
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Last edited by DJariya; 07-04-22 at 03:42 PM.
Old 07-04-22, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Re: 2022 Movies - Share your quick thoughts on what you've seen

Liked a lot (3.5 to 4 stars out of 5)
Everything Everywhere All At Once
Beavis and Butt-Head Do the Universe
The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent

Liked (2.5 to 3 stars)
Top Gun Maverick
Uncharted
Jerry and Marge Go Large
The Lost City
Ambulance
Good Luck to You Leo Grande
Chip N Dale
Jackass 4.5

Disappointed:
X
The Batman

Did not like:
Father Stu

The wordier the title the better apparently.

Last edited by RichC2; 07-04-22 at 03:24 PM.
Old 07-04-22, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

The Batman- not much to say about it but it met my expectations for what I wanted from it.

Chip ‘n Dale: Rescue Rangers- wasn’t sure about it from the previews but I wound up liking it a lot. Should have went to theaters in my opinion.

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness- pretty good overall. The MCU kind of is what it is to me at this point. I enjoy it but at the same time and kind of meh on it.

Jackass Forever- pretty good. Typical fare from the Jackass crew. Bam was missed, but I get why he wasn’t involved. Liked the old crew. New crew is okay but I wouldn’t watch them in their own show/movie.

Lightyear- seems like a lot of people either didn’t see this or didn’t like it because it’s not the Buzz they know and love but I thought it was still fun overall.

Scream- pretty good all around. I think what helped was the fact that there was a big gap between the new one and Scream 4.

Sonic the Hedgehog 2- I liked the first one and was hoping the sequel would be better. I liked Knuckles and Tails but a bit overstuffed for its own good.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre- I didn’t mind this actually. Not a great movie but for a straight to Netflix sequel it’s not terrible. One of the sequels to this franchise I enjoyed more.

Top Gun: Maverick- not a real big fan of the original film but this one far exceeded my expectations.

I want to say that’s all I’ve seen so far.

Last edited by Mike86; 07-04-22 at 07:58 PM.
Old 07-04-22, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

Loved
The Northman
Chip/Dale
X
Doc Strange...
Good Luck, Leo...

Liked
Top Gun
Fresh
The Lost City
Fire Island
The Adam Project
The Cellar
Turning Red
No Exit
Everything, Everywhere..

Meh
Choose or Die
..Dumbledore
Sonic 2
Jackass Forever
Morbius
Uncharted

Disappointment
The Batman

Sucked
Texas Chainsaw
Revealer
The following users liked this post:
DJariya (07-04-22)
Old 07-04-22, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts

So far, I've only seen 32 movies from 2022. In the order I saw them:

Spoiler:
The House

Scream

Jackass Forever

Death On The Nile

The Cursed

Studio 666

The Batman

Uncharted

Turning Red

X

Jujutsu Kaisen 0: The Movie

The Outfit

The Lost City

Morbius

Sonic The Hedgehog 2

Everything, Everywhere, All At Once

Ambulance

Kimi

The Northman

Texas Chainsaw Massacre

The Unbearable Weight Of Massive Talent

Memory

Firestarter

Downton Abbey: A New Era

Men

Dr. Strange In The Multiverse Of Madness

The Bob's Burgers Movie

Crime Of The Future

Lightyear

Jurassic World Dominion

The Black Phone

Top Gun: Maverick

Head and shoulders above of all of them is Everything Everywhere All At Once. Completely entertaining, filled with humor, bizarre images, genuinely moving and ultimately life-affirming. After that, Lightyear might be the second best I've seen, that or the animated anthology The House, which impressed me because most horror stories wind up being about the threat of being killed, but the story that disturbed me the most was the second, where all the tension came from the threat of failure after desperate hard work.

I also really enjoyed X, and I want to add Studio 666 even though it goes too long in the end.

I almost don't want to dignify Texas Chainsaw Massacre by naming it the worst. It's not even worth any discussion.

Disappointed by Dr Strange. Not surprised by the disappointment of Crimes Of The Future.
Old 07-05-22, 04:00 PM
Administrator

Received 1,068 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
So far, I've only seen 32 movies from 2022. In the order I saw them:
Yeah, you're really falling behind

Loved
The Batman
Turning Red

Liked
Multiverse of Madness

OK
The Bubble (the Netflix Judd Apatow film)
The Adam Project
Jackass Forever

Disliked/Hated
Bubble (an anime)
DJariya (07-05-22)
Old 07-05-22, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

I made a "Top 10 of 2022 So Far" list.

1. "Everything Everywhere All at Once"—The most frenetic and joyous and affecting film of the year, an instant classic.
2. "Men"—The more I think about this audacious horror movie, the more I like it. It ain’t for everyone, but it’s spectacularly weird.
3. "RRR"—The most expensive Indian film ever made, it’s hilarious and glorious.
4. "Mass"—Deeply affecting film about grief and forgiveness in the wake of a school shooting.
5. "Happening"—This timely film about abortion rights in the 1960s France hits hard.
6. "Good Luck to You, Leo Grande"—Here’s a two-hander about sex headlined by one brave actress.
7. "You Won’t Be Alone"—A mesmerizing tale of a shapeshifting witch in 19th century Macedonia.
8. "Sundown"—This strange psychological character study seems to have little to say, but it somehow contains multitudes.
9. "After Yang"—A little girl’s companion robot malfunctions, leading to a powerful meditation on life.
10. "The Batman"—Possibly the best characterization of Batman on film. Too long, but moody and grimy and thrilling.
Old 07-05-22, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by IBJoel
Yeah, you're really falling behind
I'm pretty much ignoring the abundance of movies coming out on the various streaming services, so it feels like there is a lot of 2022 movies I'm missing. My goal for the year is to see nearly everything that plays locally theatrically. For viewing at home, I'm hooked on watching older stuff I've never seen/heard of on TCM.
IBJoel (07-05-22)
Old 07-05-22, 07:41 PM
Administrator

Received 1,068 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
I'm pretty much ignoring the abundance of movies coming out on the various streaming services, so it feels like there is a lot of 2022 movies I'm missing. My goal for the year is to see nearly everything that plays locally theatrically. For viewing at home, I'm hooked on watching older stuff I've never seen/heard of on TCM.
I was just joking a little haha. You've seen more than 3x as many 2022 releases as me. That's more than one a week and impressive in my mind. Like you, of my 70 films seen this year, most have been older (from the 80s and 90s)
Crocker Jarmen (07-05-22)
Old 07-05-22, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts

Gold - Zac Efron leaves his pretty-boy image far in the rearview mirror. This movie is for people who can endure watching a man slowly dying from exposure for almost an hour.

Jackass Forever - probably not the best place to start for people like me who've never been into Knoxville and co.'s stunts. This didn't make me a fan.

Men - great set up but it feels like Alex Garland had a lot less to say than what he hints at initially.

Last Looks - an OK stab at the tried-and-true Hollywood detective mystery, but the movie is missing the x-factor to put it above average.

The Batman - great two-hour movie. Too bad it runs almost three.

Scream - can't hold a candle to the first two but decent considering the loss of Wes Craven.

The Northman - Robert Eggers set a really high bar for himself with The Witch and The Lighthouse. He was bound to come up short eventually.

The Bunker Game - an original if somewhat controversial set up (cosplayers enacting a secret revolt against the Nazi regime in the '40s) that's wasted when the movie turns into a very uninteresting slasher.

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness - entertaining but far from top-tier MCU. The Sam Raimi touches were very much appreciated.

Blacklight - another by-the-numbers Liam Neeson action movie. Not sure why I even bothered with this.

The Black Phone - Scott Derrickson again makes grounded drama (in this case, bullying and child abuse) more gripping than supernatural frights. Ethan Hawke and the leading child actors are excellent while Derrickson nails the late '70s vibe.

Kimi - a decent enough thriller but has an extremely simplified view of phobias.

The Lost City - if the studio spent a lot of money to make this, the cast must've made a lot of bank. The funds sure weren't spent on the sets or the writing.

Turning Red - good but not entirely my speed. Mid-tier Pixar IMHO.

Everything Everywhere All at Once - ambitious and (overly) daring for most of its running time, but the mile-a-minute-exposition doesn't help its cause.

The Twin - hodgepodge of horror tropes you've seen before. The many twists make this movie a little too convoluted for its own good.

Top Gun: Maverick - the dialed down eye humping of bodies and vastly improved aerial photography easily makes this superior to the original. Still, wish it didn't so aggressively ignore Kelly McGillis.

X - probably Ti West's most accomplished movie to date. Loved how it sets you up to think the reason for the killings is because of what's on TV but then pulls the rug clean out from under you.
Old 07-09-22, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Loved

X

Liked

Ambulance
The Batman
The Black Phone
Doctor Strange In The Multiverse of Madness
Men
The Northman
The Sadness
Turning Red

Meh

Crimes of the Future
Scream

Bleh

Dashcam
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Old 07-09-22, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Liked:

Thor Love and Thunder

Meh:

Last Seen Alive starring Gerard Butler

Old 07-31-22, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Some more 2022 movies I've seen since I last posted:

Liked:
The Gray Man
Vengeance
DC League of Super-Pets

In between Meh and Liked:
Nope

Meh:
Panama (stars Mel Gibson and Cole Hauser)
Agent Game (stars Mel Gibson and Jason Isaacs)

Sucked/Awful:
Dashcam

Old 07-31-22, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Since I posted, I've now seen:
Mr. Malcolm's List
Thor: Love And Thunder
Elvis
The Grey Man
Nope
Shamshera
Where The Crawdads Sing
My Old School
RRR
Good Luck To You, Leo Grande

Out of those, I thought Elvis and Nope were both terrific. They're probably in the top 5 I've seen so far this year.

The documentary My Old School was highly entertaining. I almost skipped it after reading a review that gave it a meh, and glad I didn't. The story is strange enough to be interesting, and nothing really tragic or bad happened, so it's pretty light. The most interesting aspect of it for me was seeing the contrast between the students as kids, and then today as grown-ups. There's also a great section near the end that illustrates how selective our memories are. The filmmakers show the interview subject video footage of events they discuss, and they're astounded to see how what they remembered is actually totally wrong.

Not sure why my local theatre played Shamshera. Sure, sometimes they'll have a foreign or smaller film playing one night for the handful of people who want to see it, but Shamshera played a full week, three shows a day. When I went, there was only one other guy. I asked the staff how it was doing, and they said it averaged about two people per showing. I don't see many Bollywood movies, so I was kept interested, but it pales in every comparison to the much better RRR

Last edited by Crocker Jarmen; 08-02-22 at 10:54 PM.
Old 08-01-22, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Loved:

Marcel the shell with shoes on
Old 08-01-22, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Loved
Crimes of the Future