Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
1.82%
5.45%
25.45%
23.64%
25.45%
5.45%
3.64%
5.45%
0%
1.82%
1.82%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-22, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Re: Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 09-13-22, 06:51 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

it really feels the MCU is just spinning its wheels tight now. doesn't feel like they are building up to anything like they did with Infinity War.
Old 09-13-22, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
it really feels the MCU is just spinning its wheels tight now. doesn't feel like they are building up to anything like they did with Infinity War.
We are in the first phase of what they're calling "The Multiverse Saga," so it seems like they're building up to something. It's going to involve Kang the Conqueror, who was introduced in Loki.

We are currently in "Phase Four," which ends with Black Panther: Wakanda Forever and Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special. "Phase Five" kicks off in 2023 with Antman & Wasp: Quantumania (which will feature Kang) and Secret Invasion. And it looks like "Phase Six" will end with the return of the Avengers (most likely a very different line-up than we saw in the first three phases).

I also have a feeling that "Phase Seven" of the MCU will be X-Men/Mutant focused.
Old 09-14-22, 11:26 AM
Administrator

Received 1,068 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
We are in the first phase of what they're calling "The Multiverse Saga," so it seems like they're building up to something. It's going to involve Kang the Conqueror, who was introduced in Loki.

We are currently in "Phase Four," which ends with Black Panther: Wakanda Forever and Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special. "Phase Five" kicks off in 2023 with Antman & Wasp: Quantumania (which will feature Kang) and Secret Invasion. And it looks like "Phase Six" will end with the return of the Avengers (most likely a very different line-up than we saw in the first three phases).

I also have a feeling that "Phase Seven" of the MCU will be X-Men/Mutant focused.
Originally Posted by TGM
While I know there's a build-up of sorts occurring, I think doing the first "event" a whole 4/5 years into the thing really makes it drag. This wasn't so much of an issue from Iron Man to Avengers, because everything was ramping up. But now that it's firing on all cylinders as a content mill, it's annoying that nothing has coalesced.
Old 09-14-22, 06:08 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
and I’m sure they could care less. Even critical duds like this make half a billion or more. Disney can do and will do anything they want. To our detriment of course.
Old 09-18-22, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts

Watched this today --- grade C. Good plot hidden behind terrible humor.

Christian Bale was great as the villain. I liked the god hunter plot and if you strip away the bad jokes, you could get a solid movie.

Cannot stand Taika Waititi as an actor (Free Guy) or as a director (this movie). But this guy is just beyond annoying.

For example, the first screaming goat joke was ok. Looks like they found the youtube clip of screaming goats from 2013 and decided it was still funny 9 years later? But they kept using that same joke over and over! Unbelievable.

And finally, stop trying to use the rock music like Iron Man and AC/DC. They own that genre. Don't throw a bunch of rock songs into the movie and hope you can be like Iron Man.

I'm glad I can catch these movies quickly on Disney+ now, because I would have buyer's remorse if I saw this in theaters.

Last edited by MLBFan24; 09-18-22 at 06:34 PM.
Old 09-18-22, 09:27 PM

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I don't get the dislike for this one. I liked it a lot. Bale's villain had an excellent look and motivation. His acting was creepy and really elevated a normal superhero villain. I liked Ragnarok more, but this is still easily the second best Thor movie for me. The Jane story added weight. Thor as the doofus buffoon is the right lane for him in the MCU. The goats gag was amusing at first. Then annoying. Then funny again for how long they stuck with it.

Good conclusion for Jane. Interesting villain. Fun light hearted action comedy. Didn't overstay it's welcome. Not sure what didn't connect with so many people. But I enjoyed it.
The following users liked this post:
Boondock Saint (09-22-22)
Old 09-18-22, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 741 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by MLBFan24
For example, the first screaming goat joke was ok. Looks like they found the youtube clip of screaming goats from 2013 and decided it was still funny 9 years later? But they kept using that same joke over and over! Unbelievable.
I mean, that's pretty much exactly what happened.

https://hypebeast.com/2022/7/thor-lo...goat-meme-info

Those who have seen the film may have noticed that the two giant goats, Toothgnasher and Toothgrinder, sounded a little funny. Waititi was present to reveal why.

“The goats were always going to be in there because they are in the comics, but we didn’t know how they would sound,” said Waititi. “Then someone in post-production found this meme of a Taylor Swift song that has screaming goats in it. I didn’t even know that existed. So I hear the screaming goats and I just felt it was awesome. A lot of people think it’s me screaming. It’s not.”

The two giant mythical goats were first gifted to Thor (Chris Hemsworth) early in the movie by King Yakan, played by Stephen Curry (not the NBA player), for his help in fighting off intruders. They later appear as chariot horses of sorts and in other action scenes.

“I think one of the vendors that was making the CG goats, they just added the Taylor Swift song ‘I Knew You Were Trouble,’ but the fan-made one with the goat sounds, and we just thought it was so funny,” Waititi continued. “So it was just a shot of how the CG creatures were coming along, it wasn’t meant for the film or anything, it was just an update. And the screams were freakin’ awesome.”
MLBFan24 (09-18-22)
Old 09-18-22, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,832 Likes on 1,228 Posts

Watched this with my teen for a second time last night. (Possibly 2.5th time, I think on my first try I gave up halfway through.)

I appreciated it more, and the teen thought it was good. It's like a weird collage movie in a way, with the intense elements just in stubborn, intentional conflict with the comedy stuff, and the super-saturated, maximal visuals.

I think it might be a good movie to try again for some people.
Old 09-19-22, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
When you accept into heart that the real MCU concluded with Endgame, it makes a lot of these crap films/shows a little easier to tolerate or just completely ignore.

Post Endgame, I've only enjoyed:
No Way Home (although I found it damn depressing)
What IF
I Am Groot
Shang Chi

I'm somewhat interested in:
Blade
Daredevil
Secret Invasion

Old 09-19-22, 06:44 PM

When Matt Damon is talking in New Asgard after the shadow monsters took the kids, he says should we do whatever and play it out, he was with somebody. Is he anyone? And, Thor’s new look is horrible. But, of course, Bale is really only reason to see this again. He’s amazing in everything and never, ever dials it in.
Old 09-19-22, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
When Matt Damon is talking in New Asgard after the shadow monsters took the kids, he says should we do whatever and play it out, he was with somebody. Is he anyone? And, Thor’s new look is horrible. But, of course, Bale is really only reason to see this again. He’s amazing in everything and never, ever dials it in.
Liam Hemsworth

Edit: lol wrong Hemsworth, it’s Luke
OldBoy (09-19-22)
Old 09-19-22, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts

Originally Posted by alfredog1976
Liam Hemsworth
It’s actually Luke Hemsworth. The Cooper Manning of the Hemsworth brothers.
OldBoy (09-19-22)
Old 09-20-22, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

I would not have felt ripped off if I had paid to see this a theater, but I do appreciate that I was able to watch this on Disney+. I enjoyed the film but I also understand that folks felt it was just a film that did not really clarify the role of Thor in the MCU moving forward.

I would enjoy a series of Thor films that was him, his adopted daughter, and occasionally his colleagues such as Valkyrie and Korg connecting with him on his various travels through space and time as he rights wrongs that really had no major connection to the grand plans that are afoot for the MCU, because if a film entertains me that is often enough to put a smile on my face and not pick it apart. Also, the scenes with the kids in this film actually really worked and made me want to see more of them in action with toys and stuffed animals imbued with the power of Thor.
actionjackson29 (09-20-22)
Old 09-20-22, 05:51 PM

Wtf accent was Crowe using as Zeus? Zeus was Greek god, no? I dunno wth he was murmuring.

And, that b/w scene was so odd and so wrong for this movie. I dunno wth Waititi was thinking with the whole production.

Last edited by OldBoy; 09-20-22 at 06:06 PM.
Old 09-20-22, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Originally Posted by Inhumans99
I would not have felt ripped off if I had paid to see this a theater,
Sure, it's easy to say this in hindsight. But, no blockbuster movie you pay to see in a theater no matter how good the reviews are is guaranteed to please you. This movie just happened to be a little divisive and some are being a little more vocal about it since it's available to them now at no extra cost.

And I think many are just extremely disappointed by this considering how great Ragnarok was 5 years ago. I sorta enjoyed this, but it wasn't a good follow up to that movie. It went a little too much on the goofy and comedy.
Old 09-20-22, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Wtf accent was Crowe using as Zeus? Zeus was Greek god, no? I dunno wth he was murmuring.

Chef Boyardee.
Old 09-20-22, 08:26 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Chef Boyardee.
itsa Mario!
Old 09-21-22, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts

Zeus was Greek god, no?
Old 09-22-22, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by William Fuld
why is this funny?
Old 09-22-22, 06:30 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

why is this funny?
My exact thoughts during this movie.
OldBoy (09-22-22)
Old 09-22-22, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

My one prediction from the trailers did not come true ...

... I was certain that Valkyrie was not Valkyrie. Even after watching the movie, I think she was actually Loki, not the real Valkyrie.
Old 09-26-22, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff

... I was certain that Valkyrie was not Valkyrie. Even after watching the movie, I think she was actually Loki, not the real Valkyrie.
You might still be right. I caught how into the ladies "Valkyrie" was --- which could just be Disney being inclusive or it could have been Loki the whole time.

I enjoyed this movie very much and was really bummed that Jane passed. She was an awesome Thor.
Old 09-26-22, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff

It's not like she was out of character. She didn't behave that different in Ragnarok.
The following 2 users liked this post by Runaway:
IBJoel (09-26-22), ViewAskewbian (09-26-22)
Old 09-26-22, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 741 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
You might still be right. I caught how into the ladies "Valkyrie" was --- which could just be Disney being inclusive or it could have been Loki the whole time.

I enjoyed this movie very much and was really bummed that Jane passed. She was an awesome Thor.
It has been confirmed by both Tessa Thompson and Kevin Fegie that Valkyrie is an LGBTQ character
ViewAskewbian (09-26-22)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.