Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
1.82%
5.45%
25.45%
23.64%
25.45%
5.45%
3.64%
5.45%
0%
1.82%
1.82%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-22, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts
Re: Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Yeah, the overuse of GNR was definitely a weird choice. I could have seen a couple songs by them but there should have been some variety.

Last edited by Mike86; 09-11-22 at 10:32 PM.
Old 09-11-22, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Well, they did have "Rainbow in the Dark" playing over the end credits.
Yeah, that was a huge surprise - a great surprise. The vocal God himself singing over the end credits for a movie about the Thunder God! Perfect!
Old 09-11-22, 02:09 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBang
​​​​​​
Only Jane and Thor wielded Mjolnir in this movie. Mjolnir was enchanted by Odin (as seen in the first movie) with the worthiness test for wielding.

Stormbreaker has no such enchantment.
so anyone can call Stormbreaker to them? i don't get it. it only goes to thor. that and his original hammer. both were wielded by multiple people as Cap was also able to call Mjolnir.
Old 09-11-22, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
so anyone can call Stormbreaker to them? i don't get it. it only goes to thor. that and his original hammer. both were wielded by multiple people as Cap was also able to call Mjolnir.
Only Thor can call Stormbreaker and up to the point where Odin enchanted the hammer only Thor could call it. After Mjölnir was enchanted everyone worthy could pick it up.
Old 09-11-22, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Guess I'm not worthy.
Old 09-11-22, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Honestly an all-Ronnie James Dio soundtrack would have been so much better. I'm talking Rainbow, Black Sabbath/Heaven & Hell, Dio... Stargazer should fit easily into any Marvel flick.
The following users liked this post:
B5Erik (09-12-22)
Old 09-11-22, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,832 Likes on 1,228 Posts

I liked the first two minutes with just Bale and the kid but the subsequent 8 minutes have been mostly idiotic. I don't know if I can go on. Obviously Waititi et al were 'going for something' and I think their object was making people hate the movie.

ETA I think they were making a parody of an MCU movie.

Last edited by Kurt D; 09-11-22 at 10:30 PM.
Old 09-11-22, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,203 Likes on 2,067 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurt D
ETA I think they were making a parody of an MCU movie.
The second Melissa McCarthy showed up, that was obvious.
Kurt D (09-12-22)
Old 09-11-22, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
Ragnarok is top 3 MCU movie for me.

I liked this one well enough. Laughed a bunch of times, and definitely liked it better than Thor 1 and 2, but still a disappointment from those involved coming off of Ragnarok because my expectations were through the roof.
I said this almost word for word on Facebook last night. "Love and Thunder" was fun. And I laughed quite a bit. I thought "Thor 1" was o.k. "Thor 2" was terrible. And "Ragnarok" was the very best. And definitely top tier of all the Marvel films. Could be #3 for me.
TGM (09-12-22)
Old 09-12-22, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 915 Likes on 675 Posts

Unlike most here, I really enjoyed this. Not everything Marvel has to be world ending danger or setting up some future world ending danger. This was a nice, contained storyline and wrapped up Jane really well. Maybe this would have been better received if it was a D+ show rather than a full movie release?
Old 09-12-22, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
Unlike most here, I really enjoyed this. Not everything Marvel has to be world ending danger or setting up some future world ending danger. This was a nice, contained storyline and wrapped up Jane really well. Maybe this would have been better received if it was a D+ show rather than a full movie release?
I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I have no problem with the movie being self-contained. Ragnarok was mostly self-contained and was awesome. Love and Thunder just wasn't a very good movie. I think someone upthread mentioned it was like Waititi and company threw a whole bunch of stuff against the wall but not much of it stuck. That's sums up how I felt watching it.
Old 09-12-22, 10:51 AM

It's all been said before, but the tone was wildly uneven, which actively works against the movie and it should have been addressed. Also, if you're making a comedy, more jokes need to hit than miss, and this movie had a bad ratio. The G'n'R aspect was overused, etc. etc,

Good visuals, but overall an mostly-enjoyable failure. I don't feel the need to revisit this anytime soon.
Old 09-12-22, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Loved this.

The little gags were great. I was on-board with all of the family-friendliness and optimism.

Bale was creepy. The climax with him knelt in front of Eternity is why I actually like MCU movies. Those parts make me feel more than all the fighting and whatever.

I hope that Zeus an Hercules was another gag.
Old 09-12-22, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts

I think at this point I'm just going to stop listening to reviews on Marvel movies, because I haven't hated any of them (and only like 2 things so far have been underwhelming). This was fantastic.
Old 09-12-22, 03:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haven't seen this mentioned yet in this thread, so I'd be curious what you guys think....I took the movie to be told by Korg which is why it was so over the top. After the opening intro of Gor, Korg starts telling the story of Thor and what he's been up to. I watched the movie as if it continued through Korg's storytelling. Maybe it's not was was intended, and, if it was, it wasn't force fed to us that that's what was going on. I think there were a couple more moments in the middle where Korg did some narration which reminded the viewer and solidified the feeling, to me, that he was telling the story for the whole movie.

I enjoyed it and maybe that viewpoint helped me enjoy it more than others. Obviously there were some really over the top comedic/cheesy moments like Sif's "I'm dying" scene, the goats, Stormbreaker jealousy, etc., but when I think of them as exaggerations by a storyteller, I'm OK with it.
tanman (09-12-22)
Old 09-12-22, 06:00 PM

I don’t think I laughed or chuckled once during this movie. I don’t know how Waititi of all directors could f this up. It just didn’t work on any level. So far from the fun of Ragnarok, one of my fav MCU films.
Old 09-12-22, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,203 Likes on 2,067 Posts

^ I did chuckle when Thor had Nick Fury listed in his phone as “Nick Furry”.
Old 09-12-22, 06:10 PM

I don’t even think I caught that. Was just bored to tears.
Old 09-12-22, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Originally Posted by Claytonian
Haven't seen this mentioned yet in this thread, so I'd be curious what you guys think....I took the movie to be told by Korg which is why it was so over the top. After the opening intro of Gor, Korg starts telling the story of Thor and what he's been up to. I watched the movie as if it continued through Korg's storytelling. Maybe it's not was was intended, and, if it was, it wasn't force fed to us that that's what was going on.
Yeah, that's an interesting take. The story is being told by Korg to an audience, and Korg is an unreliable narrator ("Jane Fonda", "Jodie Foster"), so a lot of the sillier aspects could be Korg misremembering or misunderstanding things he experienced.

tanman (09-12-22)
Old 09-12-22, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Yeah, that's an interesting take. The story is being told by Korg to an audience, and Korg is an unreliable narrator ("Jane Fonda", "Jodie Foster"), so a lot of the sillier aspects could be Korg misremembering or misunderstanding things he experienced.
I think that is indeed a good take. Still don't think it worked, in contrast to the cancer-sadness and Gor evilness. Just a weird mix. It felt like one of those April Fools issues from the '80s, and those were not-great, but worked because it was just a one-off issue among many.

Once I gave in to the aggressive stupidity of the movie, I did get a few good laughs, but the jokes that didn't land just made me angry.
Old 09-12-22, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

Haven't seen this mentioned yet in this thread, so I'd be curious what you guys think....I took the movie to be told by Korg which is why it was so over the top. After the opening intro of Gor, Korg starts telling the story of Thor and what he's been up to. I watched the movie as if it continued through Korg's storytelling. Maybe it's not was was intended, and, if it was, it wasn't force fed to us that that's what was going on. I think there were a couple more moments in the middle where Korg did some narration which reminded the viewer and solidified the feeling, to me, that he was telling the story for the whole movie.

I enjoyed it and maybe that viewpoint helped me enjoy it more than others. Obviously there were some really over the top comedic/cheesy moments like Sif's "I'm dying" scene, the goats, Stormbreaker jealousy, etc., but when I think of them as exaggerations by a storyteller, I'm OK with it.
I actually caught onto this but that doesn't really make it any better. The opening had a seriousness to it that was lost. I don't mind the sillier aspects in small doses but it was just too much in this film.
Old 09-12-22, 11:21 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

Haven't seen this mentioned yet in this thread, so I'd be curious what you guys think....I took the movie to be told by Korg which is why it was so over the top..
Kind of like Tony Stark narrating Iron Man 3 at the beginning, only to find out at the end that he's on the couch telling the story to a drowsy, disinterested Bruce Banner who replied, "I'm not even that kind of doctor."

I need to go back and watch T:LaT again.
Old 09-13-22, 06:59 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts

I loved Bale and Hemsworth in their roles, but this was just meh. Marvel has oversaturated the market. They need to give it a rest (I know they won't).
The following 2 users liked this post by Bandoman:
Mike86 (09-13-22), OldBoy (09-13-22)
Old 09-13-22, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
I prefer when movies are entirely self-contained. I don't need tie-ins, long-term universe goals, cameos, world building, etc. Just give me a good story.

Unfortunately this did not have a good story, nor was it good storytelling A shame because of how much I loved Ragnarok.
The following 2 users liked this post by Hokeyboy:
Bandoman (09-14-22), OldBoy (09-13-22)
Old 09-13-22, 05:53 PM

This is my biggest disappointment, along with Doctor Strange 2, but this more so, of the past few years. They do need to revamp and retool bc Marvel’s latest efforts have been lackluster to say the least.
Hokeyboy (09-14-22)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.