Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
1.82%
5.45%
25.45%
23.64%
25.45%
5.45%
3.64%
5.45%
0%
1.82%
1.82%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 07-20-22, 06:14 PM
Administrator

Received 1,067 Likes on 620 Posts
Re: Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I think the quality of the individual Phase 4 works is roughly the same as the MCU have always been, whether you loathe them, are whatever with them, or enjoy them.

Setting aside the dipshit misogynists and racists (not so much here, but rampant on any MCU Instagram post), I think the biggest issues audiences are having with the new movies is due to a lack of communication from Feige.

Day one, Iron Man 1, we knew the goal was "The Avenger Initiative". The minute that was complete, we knew "Thanos is coming".

Right now, audiences don't know the plan. Is it just to introduce new, B- and C-list characters and diversify not just casts, but also styles/genres? Are the new characters going to be the Avengers from now on? Are incursions just something Dr. Strange is going to deal with or is Secret Wars the big play? Is that related to Kang? Are we doing Thunderbolts? Are there going to be multiple "culmination" story threads?

We don't know any of those answers, and frankly it's getting irritating that they insist on playing everything so close to the vest, so people can't even be told what to expect or get excited for.
Old 07-20-22, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 971 Likes on 684 Posts

I don't care about any plan. I just want the movies to be good. Love and Thunder was not good.
The following users liked this post:
Spiderbite (07-21-22)
Old 07-21-22, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,066 Likes on 646 Posts

Thought this was a great article regarding Phase 4 and the current crop of Marvel movies:

From mighty to meh: the MCU is dying and needs to change fast | Digital Trends

From mighty to meh: the MCU is dying and needs to change fast

By David CaballeroJuly 20, 2022 5:00PM
SHAREThe summer of 2019 delivered what remains arguably the cinematic event of the millennial generation. Avengers: Endgame was the culmination of 11 years of world-building and 22 films, and audiences ate it up like a big, fat turkey on Thanksgiving Day. The Marvel Cinematic Universe pulled a feat no other franchise had, before or since, delivering spectacular thrills and unforgettable moments while tying all its loose ends in a messy but still attractive bow.
CONTENTSIt wouldn’t be an overstatement to call Endgame the event of a lifetime, even if the declaration would make some film purists cringe. The film was the perfect representation of the MCU’s brand, a collection of jokes, characters, and stories so ambitious and, dare we say it, daring that they changed the way we consume cinema. The film, and the entire MCU concept, was an undertaking of Herculean proportions, and it was successfully pulled off, dazzling audiences and leaving them in shock and awe at the overindulgence they witnessed on the big screen.

The post-Endgame landscape, however, is drastically different. Perhaps it’s the pandemic that made us more cynical and unforgiving, or perhaps it’s Marvel’s previously impervious charm finally wearing off. Or maybe it’s the studio’s considerable pride setting all this up. However, the MCU is now looking uglier and more tiresome than ever. Like the once-delicious meal that becomes tasteless after eating it one too many times, the massive franchise is now lifeless, soulless, and worst of all, boring. Gone are the thrills and surprises that built the Marvel legend, replaced with constant cameos and increasingly forgettable post-credit scenes meant to set up the next chapter in a seemingly endless book.

M(eh)CU

The post-Endgame landscape is making audiences feel restless. Marvel’s once united fan base is now split down the middle, with those savagely defending it against any form of criticism on one side and those who feel betrayed by the once-mighty franchise on the other. Phase 4’s projects have been divisive and uneven; critics are now less willing to overlook Marvel’s mistakes because they are more glaring than ever, flaunting themselves in our faces as if daring us to call them out. And call them out we have.

The studio’s most recent effort, Thor: Love and Thunder, received mixed reviews, just like Eternals, Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, and Black Widow before it. Indeed, a quick look at the consensus of these films on Rotten Tomatoes will reveal that critics are bored to the point of disinterest. Their reviews will always say something like, “yes, this movie is ‘meh,’ but it’s OK for the MCU, I guess.”

Critics are now judging these projects not as individual achievements, but as cogs within a larger machine. They aren’t singular or even distinguishable from one another; indeed, they are sentences meant to build a paragraph, which will then make a page, and so on. So it’s not a matter of whether Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness is enjoyable in and of itself, but rather if it’s successful in setting up the Young Avengers or not. Fans and even certain critics love saying how the MCU built its success on its ability to create one continuous story and keep its audiences invested. But that formula can only last for so long, and it’s already straining, especially after the introduction of the Disney+ shows.

How streaming accelerated the MCU’s fall from grace

There’s a strong case for how the Disney+ shows and their arrival accelerated the MCU’s decline. At first, the idea seemed genius: six-hour stories focusing on underrated yet crucial characters sidelined in the movies? Shut up and take our money! But when they finally arrived, we saw them for what they were: tiny cogs to accompany the larger cogs in this ever-spinning factory.

Marvel and Disney never had any desire to explore or develop these characters. It can be argued that WandaVision‘s main purpose was to introduce two of the Young Avengers (Wiccan and Speed) and set up Wanda for the Multiverse of Madness. Similarly, The Falcon and the Winter Soldier existed to turn Sam into the new Cap for Captain America 4,while Loki‘s duty was to establish Kang as a bad guy for Ant-Man 3 and solidify the multiverse in the MCU. Hawkeye and What/If had no real purpose, which is why no one remembers them. Moon Knight was deliberately set apart from other Marvel projects, with no gratuitous references or setups, but failed to really make the character memorable.

Two-and-a-half-hour films whose only purpose is to have a 20-second post-credit scene is one thing. It’s not ideal, but people are somewhat used to it. However, they aren’t willing to spend eight hours on a rambling story and receive only a measly post-credit scene in return. Marvel should’ve known better than trying to replicate its supposedly surefire formula on the small screen. Television and film are different mediums, and what works on one won’t work on the other; the fact that this needs to be said is outright ridiculous.

By introducing its streaming content, the MCU drove itself into a trap from which there’s no gettiing out. It tried to cut corners and replicate its big-screen success on the small screen without putting in the work or trying to create content suited for this new medium. In short, it became its worst enemy; it became the DCEU.

In the notorious and still-divisive Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, Zack Snyder famously introduced three Justice League members via 10-second videos from security camera footage. The scenes were clumsy, rushed, superficial, and arguably laughable, and critics and fans responded accordingly. Was this the way the DCEU planned to introduce its Justice League? Whereas the MCU spent the time introducing each prominent Avenger character via a standalone project — or, in Black Widow’s case, by sticking her in every Captain America film — the DCEU built its Justice League via security footage. Fans sneered at the DCEU, ridiculing it and putting Marvel on a pedestal, praising it for taking years to build its universe.

Cut to six years later, and Marvel did the same as the DCEU — and the result was the same. Oh, how the mighty have fallen.

Wake up, the audience is leaving

Nearly 15 years after its inception, the MCU is already in its midlife crisis, and we can tell. It no longer seems to have a set purpose or even a clear path. Instead, it seems like it’s throwing a bunch of ideas at the wall and seeing what sticks — another thing is has in common with the DCEU. It’s bringing auteurs to direct some of its major blockbusters yet stifling their efforts and limiting their visions, resulting in Frankenstein films that please no one. The MCU is also doubling down on its most divisive element — humor — to the delight of some and the enraged annoyance of others.

However, its most egregious mistake is how ugly its movies look nowadays. The VFX teams have openly expressed their dislike for Marvel, calling them the “worst” client to work for and openly criticizing their tight schedules and demanding and unrealistic expectations. Overworked, overstressed, underpaid artists are rushing against the clock to finish the VFX for the latest MCU project and delivering subpar results, but who can blame them? Overworked, overstressed, underpaid workers can only do so much when everything is working against them. And it’s not like the Marvel team has their back; on the contrary, they’re the first ones to go to Vanity Fair and throw them under the bus for cheap laughs.

These days, that’s all the MCU is: cheap laughs, cheap plots, cheap VFX shots, and cheap thrills. How can a film with a $200 million budget come out cheap? In some ways, Marvel is still a trailblazer. But audiences are tired of cheap products and can no longer ignore or contain their unhappiness. What was once the happiest fandom on the internet has become bitter and angry, raising their voice to complain about these films that no longer seem impressive or striking. How long before they start avoiding them entirely?

To be fair, it’s not like the MCU is struggling box-office-wise. Thor: Love and Thunder dominated the weekend, raising $302 million worldwide, while Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness is nearing the $1 billion mark. Audiences still like their Marvel content; they just don’t love it anymore. Once, it was unimaginable to think fans might not be excited about the next MCU project; nowadays, it’s happening before our eyes. Is it so ridiculous to think the MCU’s glory days are behind it?

Evolve or perish

The MCU is at a crossroads. Its charms are wearing off fast, but it doesn’t seem anywhere near done; recently, Marvel President Kevin Feige and his team went on a retreat to plan the next 10 years of MCU content. To be clear, it’s not like the MCU can’t continue; it can and most definitely will. What’s at stake here is its reputation as a cinematic milestone and game-changing franchise. We are talking about the battle for the soul of the MCU, or at least whatever’s left of it.

The franchise’s problems become especially glaring as it reaches the lower tier of its catalog of characters and starts greenlighting projects for Werewolf by Night and Nova. True, the MCU has turned nobodies into somebodies before; Iron Man and Star-Lord were C-list characters before Feige and company turned them into superstars capable of anchoring their own blockbuster trilogies. However, the MCU was still exciting in 2008 and 2014; it was full of promise and originality and had audiences eating from the palm of its massive hand.

That’s the issue here: the MCU is no longer exciting. After a series of disappointing shows and films, can we honestly say we are looking forward to She-Hulk’s debut? How about Echo or Ironheart, or any of the other Disney+ shows that are coming in the near future? Heck, Hercules debuts during Thor: Love and Thunder‘s midcredit scene, and the internet is as silent as Black Bolt. Does anyone even remember Black Bolt? He made his MCU debut in Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, a film that premiered just two months ago and already seems forgotten about despite the massive prerelease hype.

Hardcore fans know Phase 4 is building toward the Secret Wars storyline, an event that pits multiple versions of multiple characters in a Super Smash Bros.-style tournament. But whereas the comic book storyline was a character study of the rivalry between two of Marvel’s most intriguing and complicated figures, Mr. Fantastic and Doctor Doom, the MCU’s version will probably be a collection of cameos held together by a sorry excuse for a storyline and some very dirty-looking scenes.

It’s hard being excited about something when we know it might be awful. The MCU once trained us to expect wonder and spectacle from its films. Now, it’s training us to expect fan service and increasingly stupid jokes about how absurd everyone’s superhero cod ename is. What was once a promise now seems like a warning: “the next film will be just as bad, you just wait and see!” Marvel must stop half-assing its films and shows and start living up to its reputation as a game-changer. Otherwise, the same audience that once put it on a pedestal will tear its altar down with their bare hands. Because one thing’s for sure: there’s nothing people love more than ripping a fallen idol apart.
Old 07-21-22, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Having both of these lines in the same article is really something

Like the once-delicious meal that becomes tasteless after eating it one too many times, the massive franchise is now lifeless, soulless, and worst of all, boring.
To be fair, it’s not like the MCU is struggling box-office-wise. Thor: Love and Thunder dominated the weekend, raising $302 million worldwide, while Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness is nearing the $1 billion mark.

I'll sum up the article - "I don't like the Marvel movies anymore and the audience completely agrees with me but they still make a billion dollars but Marvel is in dire straights."
IBJoel (07-21-22)
Old 07-21-22, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

I feel like the actual problem is massive fan entitlement propagated by the internet and what feels like a bunch of crybabies screaming “I want my imaginary Secret Wars NOW!”

Why, back in my day, we walked twelve miles through the snow to watch Christopher Reeve fight Nuclear Man in Superman IV and we LIKED it, consarn it 😉

Not saying Thor 4 was perfect, but the viral “MCU is over” narrative is already tiresome.
The following 4 users liked this post by The Antipodean:
Boondock Saint (07-21-22), Draven (07-21-22), IBJoel (07-21-22), majorjoe23 (07-22-22)
Old 07-21-22, 03:09 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

they need to introduce some major characters asap.

fringe characters like Ms. Marvel, Moon Knight, and yes, even Doctor Strange isn't going to carry this franchise.

They need Steve Rogers and Tony Stark.
Old 07-21-22, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM

fringe characters like Ms. Marvel, Moon Knight, and yes, even Doctor Strange isn't going to carry this franchise.

I believe they need to bring in the big Mutants (X-Men) and Fantastic Four and keep it old school. Yes, I like the progressiveness and diversity of the MCU but Marvel has been the comic leader in that for years. Don't mess up X-Men and Fantastic Four or you run the risk of further alienating.
Old 07-21-22, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
Thought this was a great article regarding Phase 4 and the current crop of Marvel movies:
So you're saying it went from Attitude Era WWF to the current WWE product?
Old 07-21-22, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Draven
Having both of these lines in the same article is really something

I'll sum up the article - "I don't like the Marvel movies anymore and the audience completely agrees with me but they still make a billion dollars but Marvel is in dire straights."
I thought that was funny as well. But at the same time, Marvel is like Star Wars. Fans show up no matter how crummy the movie is. And there are a ton of fans of both franchises which means a lot of money no matter how stinky the movie or show may be. And comic book fans are very forgivable fans. You can burn them over and over again and most will still show up to see a movie or show at least once. I know I and my comic friends do,

The newest Thor got a lot of love from the popular Ragnorak. And he is a major character everyone recognizes and mostly enjoys. The next Thor movie may not be so lucky. And if the overall focus and quality of the movies go down...so may the box office and audience. I think that is the point of the article and not as simplistic as "I don't like Marvel movies anymore."

But whatever. Opinions are like...something something.
Old 07-21-22, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by devilshalo
So you're saying it went from Attitude Era WWF to the current WWE product?
I have no idea what that means.
Old 07-21-22, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TGM

The MCU made Iron Man important. Captain America was popular, yes, but the actual comparison is they needed Spider-Man and we didn't get him until Civil War. I don't want Captain American and Iron Man rebooted. They've already introduced the major Marvel characters and the remaining heavy-hitters (the X-Men and Fantastic Four) are coming (which they didn't even own the rights to until relatively recently).

Ms. Marvel and Moon Knight aren't meant to carry the franchise. Ms. Marvel was introduced (in a great show, btw) and we'll see her next in The Marvels. I doubt we'll see Moon Knight until Secret Wars (where they actually need a bunch of random characters sprinkled in - like in the comics the Beyonder pulled in The Absorbing Man and Spider-Woman in addition to the more well-known heroes).

I am very excited about the "Young Avengers" direction too, with younger versions of Hawkeye and Captain Marvel along with others that have been introduced or will be coming soon.

What bothers me about this is that we've had some pretty great comic movies coming VERY consistently since Iron Man in 2008. But these are movies, with aging actors, not comics with characters who can stay in high school for 50 years. So there HAS to be a period of transition. It is completely unrealistic for Iron-Man and Captain America movies to continue for 20 years. And the movies that are coming out are still raking it in.
IBJoel (07-22-22)
Old 07-22-22, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

I liked it.
It definitely leaned into the humor, but it was nice seeing an almost stand-alone movie with some action, some humor, and some heart without having to research the last five movies and three tv series.
Maybe there was some of that, but it didn't hold the movie back.
Some of the jokes were a little dead-horse-beating, but whatever.
Main thing that bugged me was - holy crap, was Axl Rose a producer on this? Is the GNR thing the reference I'm missing? I mean I like GNR, but this was almost comically overdone product placement.
If anything, I could see an audience getting tired of Marvel movies, and superhero movies. They're not as 'exciting' a prospect as they once were. But they still have an audience.
Old 07-22-22, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

First half sucked. Second half was great. Overall, made for an average movie. Some stuff hit while other stuff did not.
Old 07-23-22, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

It wasn't as good as Ragnarok, but I still thoroughly enjoyed it, goats and all. Even though it didn't move the needle much at all regarding any momentum Phase IV may have, it didn't bother me. I like the characters and I like being entertained - Love and Thunder brought both. Additionally, even though you know there will be more to the story, it was nice seeing a more standalone Marvel flick.
Old 07-24-22, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 478 Likes on 350 Posts

I finally had the chance to see this today.

So many mixed feelings. Some of it was really good, some of it was really funny, some of it was over the top silly, some of it was kind of stupid.

It's no Ragnarok, I can tell you that. I enjoyed it, but they kept coming up with parts that I didn't like that killed the mood every 10 or 15 minutes, sometimes more often than that.

Waititi went too far with the comedy, I can definitely say that. Thor lost almost all of the maturity and wisdom he had gained in the previous MCU movies, and he was a bigger buffoon than ever for much of the movie. Not cool.

Jane, however, was great. I'm just not thrilled with how they ended that particular story. Third movie in a row, people. Thor should need some serious therapy right about now.

They turned Zeus into a buffoon, too. Way to go! Ugh. Yeah, for all the stuff Waititi got right, he got almost as much wrong. That's two mediocre MCU movies in a row. Feige's got to see that things are not as good as they were a decade ago.

Oh, the best thing about this movie? Using DIO's, "Rainbow in the Dark," in the closing credits. That was cool. I'm sure Ronnie's there in Valhalla with the rest of them...
Old 08-15-22, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

This finally showed up at the drive-in I like to go to. They usually get Marvel films the day of release, but the nice thing about getting them later is that we had perfect parking, right in the front.

The movie itself was a mixed bag and a big step down from Ragnarok. There were elements I enjoyed and others that made my eyes roll. The goats got an initial grin from me, but the joke gets old fast. The sword certainly seemed to borrow heavily from Lord of the Rings.

It surprises me to say I was also mixed on the runtime. Marvel films have a tendency to be bloated, so it was a pleasant surprise to have one under 2 hours. However, I actually think it could have benefited from a bit more. I think the villain could have been built up a lot more, and the final battle just seemed like a bit of letdown. I expected more plot. I guess I was just expecting more in general. I just had this feeling of, is this it?

I'd probably place this one as my second favorite Thor film. Of course, the first two Thor movies are probably near the bottom of my list of Marvel movies, so that's not saying too much.
Old 08-15-22, 05:18 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

I totally forgot about this movie. I was thinking since this thread got a bump it was on D+ already.
Old 08-16-22, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

This one cemented for me the MCU is rudderless post Thanos. There were parts I absolutely loved (Gor in particular) but like so many others the tone was all over the place and it felt lacking real emotion. This one joins the other MCU offerings sans No Way Home as films I’m not sure I’ll watch again. For context I own everything through Far From Home on physical media.

The Kang stuff needs to deliver big time to salvage this this franchise/brand.
Old 08-17-22, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
This one cemented for me the MCU is rudderless post Thanos.
I do agree with this statement, but I don't know why that's the case. It's not like Thanos was the driving force in most of the movies. Most of the movies had hardly any connection with anything connecting to Thanos. So I don't get why they seem to be so rudderless.
Old 08-17-22, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Runaway
I do agree with this statement, but I don't know why that's the case. It's not like Thanos was the driving force in most of the movies. Most of the movies had hardly any connection with anything connecting to Thanos. So I don't get why they seem to be so rudderless.
I feel like they knew where the heroes would end up as a result of finally encountering Thanos and had that to build on.

Everything so far feels like everyone (save Spider-Man and Strange) are spinning their wheels in a holding pattern while the new endgame (pun intended) is figured out.
Old 08-17-22, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Runaway
Because seeing it all come together in Infinity War/Endgame is still pretty fresh, whereas the “rudderless” movies from Phase 1 that had little to no connection to Thanos are from a decade+ ago.
Old 08-17-22, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

At the beginning, it seemed like the endgame was actually the first Avengers movie. There was a clear expectation set at the end of the first movie. It of course grew to ultimately be about Thanos, but there was always a goal in place that the audience was aware of. I haven't seen any of that with the recent movies. I don't mind the lack of apparent interconnection, but I do feel that the movies have become just something to pass the time, as opposed to something that feels important to the package as a whole. It doesn't help that there's been several out of this batch that haven't interested me at all, while those were far and few between during the first decade.
IBJoel (08-17-22)
Old 08-22-22, 07:09 AM

Received 4,557 Likes on 3,092 Posts

Old 09-09-22, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts

Saw this on Disney+, I liked it, though I agree they did go way over the top with the comedy. Definitely better than Dark World but not as good as Ragnarok. And the GnR music use was pointless
Old 09-09-22, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

Ugn, this is the no doubt the worst Thor flick I have see. Found myself falling asleep and I don't like GNR music.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.