Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
2.04%
4.08%
28.57%
24.49%
22.45%
6.12%
4.08%
4.08%
0%
2.04%
2.04%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 07-11-22, 03:25 PM

Received 3,035 Likes on 2,059 Posts
Re: Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I like how they were both surprised by the Thor Will Return credit.
Following the huge critical and box office success of "Thor: Ragnarok" in 2017, writer-director (and voice of Korg) Taika Waititi has returned to give us another wacky adventure with "Thor: Love and Thunder."

This fourth movie in the standalone franchise focuses on the Marvel hero Thor (Chris Hemsworth) reconnecting with his ex Jane Foster (played by Natalie Portman), who becomes the Mighty Thor to combat her cancer. The duo — along with Valkyrie (Tessa Thompson), Korg, and a pair of screaming goats — set out to stop Gorr (Christian Bale) from his quest of destroying all the gods.

Like "Ragnarok," Waititi's brand of comedy is prevalent throughout the movie, but there's also a heartfelt relationship story. And those looking for action won't be disappointed by the film's big fight sequences featuring everyone from the Guardians of the Galaxy to Zeus (Russell Crowe).

Insider spoke on the phone with Waititi, while he was taking a break from writing his upcoming "Star Wars" movie, to discuss "Love and Thunder" secrets and spoilers, including the movie magic done to make Natalie Portman look like she's 6 feet tall; why Waititi never wants the deleted scenes featuring Jeff Goldblum, Lena Headey, and Peter Dinklage to ever be seen; and why Russell Crowe shot all his scenes twice: once in a Greek accent and once in a British accent.

What was the scene that was shot at a Best Buy parking lot?
Okay, so there were probably two scenes there. But the main one was we did some additional photography for the end with the scene where there's the water environment by Eternity. So we built a pool of water, it was only like two feet deep. It was really to get bits of information from characters. Because we're having all these things happen: Gorr is coming to this place to make a wish? In the edit we were like, "We need to explain this."

Because with these films you don't want the audience to have a lot of questions. We just wanted them to sit back and relax and enjoy the adventure.

It's a gorgeous sequence.
It really is. Best Buy is not dead.

Natalie Portman's Jane Foster character becomes Mighty Thor and with that she goes from being 5 foot 3 inches to around 6 feet tall. So was she just walking on stilts or standing on boxes this whole movie? How did you pull off her looking like she was taller?
We built a whole bunch of decking around the set. First we would block out the scene — mark out where the actors have to go so the crew knows the whole layout — and once we did that we build an elevated platform that was 4 feet high from the floor that she would walk on. But we also had to leave room so Chris and Tessa could walk around at regular height. It was a weird maze. But it worked.

At the start of the movie Thor is still with the Guardians of the Galaxy. Was there a version of the story where there was more of the Guardians group in the movie?
The plan was always to have them in the beginning and then move on. Because they have their own movie. There was talk about having them come back at the end.

That was my feeling: you are introducing them in the beginning because they are going to swoop in at the end.
The thing is that happens in every movie. No more. No more of the cavalry coming at the end. So we shelved that idea. We just wanted Jane to come in at the end.

What is the origin story of the screaming goats?
They were never meant to be screaming. The goats were always going to be in there because they are in the comics, but we didn't know how they would sound. Then someone in post-production found this meme of a Taylor Swift song that has screaming goats in it. I didn't even know that existed. So I hear the screaming goats and I just felt it was awesome. A lot of people think it's me screaming. It's not.

So someone just cut the screaming into one of the goat scenes and you liked it?
I think one of the vendors that was making the CG goats, they just added the Taylor Swift song "I Knew You Were Trouble," but the fan-made one with the goat sounds, and we just thought it was so funny. So it was just a shot of how the CG creatures were coming along, it wasn't meant for the film or anything, it was just an update. And the screams were freakin' awesome.

Russell Crowe has a Greek accent playing Zeus. I like to think he just showed up on the first day of shooting with that voice.
No. You would love to think that, I would love to think that. We actually talked at length about the accent. We wondered if someone did a Greek accent of a Greek god, is it going to be a farce? Will it be too silly? And Russell was very much wanting it to be Greek. But I wasn't sure, so we ended up doing two versions of every take with Russell. One in a Greek accent and then another in a British accent. Because I felt people would think Zeus would sound British like Laurence Olivier in "Clash of the Titans."

Wow.
But then I realized in post that it's actually more offensive to the Greeks to have Zeus sound like he's British. And test audiences loved the Greek accent. I'm really happy with it. But, yeah, he had to do every take once in the Greek accent and once with a British accent because I couldn't make up my mind. But Russell was right all along.

Who came up with the RIP Loki back tattoo?
It was a comedy bit that was supposed to be in "Ragnarok." When Loki faked his death and he's reunited with Thor and Thor can't believe he's alive, he was to say, "I mourned you, look I even got this stupid tattoo," and Thor lifts his sleeve and it's a tattoo that says "RIP Loki." For some reason it didn't make it into the film, but I was determined to get it into this one so I doubled down and put it on his back. And then [Marvel Studios head] Kevin [Feige] was like, "Can we make it five times bigger?" [Laughs.] So that's why it covered his entire back.

Throughout the movie Jane is trying to come up with a cool catchphrase for herself. At the end there's a great moment where Jane whispers her Mighty Thor catchphrase to Thor. We don't hear it. Is there actually a catchphrase?
It's like, does Bill Murray ever really say anything to Scarlett Johansson in "Lost in Translation"?

The moment is very much a hat tip to "Lost in Translation."
Even when we were shooting it we were like, "Yeah, we're just taking this from 'Lost in Translation.'" But, I don't know what she said. I would like to think it's something like, "Your ass is still mine." [Laughs.] "Your ass will always be mine."

At the very end of the movie it says, "Thor will be back," so do you —
Well, guess what? That was a surprise to me, too.

You're serious?
I'm not joking. I saw it in the theater and I was like, "Oh, shit. Really?" Even Chris was like, "What?" But, of course he'll be back. He's the best character. I mean, I may be a little biased, but he's the most fun to watch.

Now, I don't know what would be next. I would definitely do one, but only if Chris did it. But it would need to be something surprising and unexpected for me to want to do it. Like what would be the new take? The battles and all the fighting is fine, but I would want something that feels unexpected when it comes to the story. Like making just a $5 million movie with no fighting at all, just Thor on a road trip. Like "Nebraska."

There's a lot you shot that was left on the cutting room floor. Is there something you're most disappointed isn't in the movie?
I wrote the thing so when you cut anything it's a little bit of a challenge to yourself because you're like, "Am I not that good? Should I have seen this coming?" But every film I've done I've probably cut the same amount out. When you go into the edit you just never know. A scene on its own could be the most funniest thing or intriguing thing, but sometimes those things if you keep them in will just make the movie screech to a halt. So you have to do what's best for the film.

And if you ask any of those actors who were cut out — Jeff Goldblum, Lena Headey, Peter Dinklage — they all understand how it works. They have been in the game long enough. But that's just the way I look at things.

So this is your way of telling me you're not going to give me a moment.
I'm not going to give you a moment because this is my way of telling you, like, people say, "I can't wait for the deleted scenes with those actors." I don't want people to see the deleted scenes because they're deleted for a reason: They aren't good enough. [Laughs.] The scenes were not in the movie and that's it.
https://www.insider.com/thor-love-an...poilers-2022-7
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (07-15-22)
Old 07-12-22, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 667 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by nickdawgy View Post
I thought it was a rabbit.
Nawww, looked nothing like a raccoon.
Old 07-12-22, 08:53 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 114 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldberg74 View Post
Just read that Gorr’s daughter was played by India Hemsworth, Chris’ real life daughter. That is so sweet.

She did a great job.
I think almost his whole family is in the movie. Besides his brother and daughter, his wife was Wolf Woman and one of his sons was one of the younger Thors that was shown during Korg's opening story.
John Pannozzi (07-15-22)
Old 07-12-22, 11:47 AM

Received 3,035 Likes on 2,059 Posts

The following 4 users liked this post by dex14:
DJariya (07-12-22), IBJoel (07-13-22), John Pannozzi (07-15-22), Music (07-13-22)
Old 07-12-22, 03:01 PM
Administrator

Received 646 Likes on 397 Posts

I enjoyed it, but was a little disappointed by it and knew I would be. Thor... I think Thor sucks. I think he's the weakest part of everything he's in, besides Ragnarok and Infinity War (where he's basically just the Ragnarok version of himself). I wanted WAY more Valkyrie and especially Mighty Thor. I wanted this to be her story, with Odinson as a supporting character. I mean, how many times does this dude need to go through "I'm an arrogant, party bro warrior that needs to learn humility"? I will admit that he's worse in the comics and the only part of Jason Aaron's run I enjoyed was Jane as Thor.

I even think Odinson is boring to look at. If they'd kept the 80s/Thunderstrike look or short hair (or both), I'd have enjoyed it a lot more. I hate the vague fantasy aesthetic.
Old 07-13-22, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 159 Likes on 122 Posts

It was better than Dark World, but not as good as Ragnarok. At this point Thor movies are becoming as cheesy and campy as the 1997 Batman and Robin movie. The talking tea cup/pot or whatever that thing was supposed to be in a couple of scenes was a little too much.
Old 07-13-22, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by movieguru View Post
It was better than Dark World, but not as good as Ragnarok. At this point Thor movies are becoming as cheesy and campy as the 1997 Batman and Robin movie. The talking tea cup/pot or whatever that thing was supposed to be in a couple of scenes was a little too much.
A Dumpling:Bao was the god of dumplings, who became a member of the Council of Godheads in Omnipotence City. The Asgardian god Thor was aware of Bao's existence.

Bao was present at the gathering of the council in the audience of Zeus. Bao was pointed out by Thor as he observed the various gods in attendance. When Zeus begun his showy entrance, Bao was one of the many gods chanting his name in anticipation. Bao witnessed the following proceedings, including Thor's failed call to arms and violent incapacitatation of Zeus himself, followed swiftly by his escape.
IBJoel (07-13-22)
Old 07-13-22, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 267 Likes on 186 Posts

This movie was a hot mess of awfulness.

Zero laughs yet plays itself like a comedy. Action was dull. Storyline insipid. And the kids...goddamn...the kids.

Funny thing is, I heard some of the bad reviews, but I liked the trailer, loved Ragnarok and even liked Dark World. I went in with good expectations. But this steaming pile of poo is worse than Black Widow and might even be worse than The Eternals.

Christian Bale was the only breath of fresh air in this turd. He was great and brought some emotional weight and good acting to an otherwise non-emotional exercise in "let's make a Disneyfied, paint-by-the-numbers super-hero comedy."

The kids. Ugh. It reminded me of how Obi-Wan blows so many chunks due to the additional of a precocious, wise beyond her years 10-year-old Leia (in a toddler's body) for kid-service. Disney has moved from "fan-service" of their two big franchises to "kid-service." Let's make the little kids happy. What do they like? Dumb jokes, lots of visuals, and annoying children who play a large part in the storyline...and interesting writing does not matter. Actually, any semblance of mature storytelling can be thrown out the window when you are just trying to please the young ones and you have an existing, rabid fanbase that will pretty much forgive every bad decision by showing up every time...no matter how bad the last movie or TV show stunk.

I sat there cringing through pretty much every minute of this movie. Fucking hated it. My 18-year-old son hated it and my other buddy who attended (who grew up reading comics) hated it.

So, I sat there thinking...it is a comic book movie. Shouldn't it cater to kids? Then I thought about the comics I grew up reading in the 70's and 80's as a kid. Sure, a few catered to the very young but most Marvel comics I read never talked down to kids or were watered down for kids. They were written at a teen level at minimum. With dramatic, important storylines with teen/adult issues.

And therein lies the problem. Disney has left the teen market and gone all in for the wee ones in both Star Wars and Marvel. Kids and Adults can enjoy stuff aimed and written for teens (if written well). Teens cans enjoy stuff written for Adults. But Teens and Adults tend to forgo the kiddie stuff and want more mature writing and comedy. Thor and Obi-Wan show that Disney have pushed all their chips into the kiddie market and unfortunately, it looks like that is the direction for the future.

Now I know some Adults will scream..."but I love all the Minions movies." Good for you. But those were made for kids in mind. The Star Wars movies and Marvel/DC comics of the 70's & 80's were made for older kids/teens and were so well made, that every age could enjoy them. Both of these franchises have now drastically lost their way (Star Wars a long time ago) and I am afraid the Marvel magic is gone after seeing all their released films of the last year (Spider-Man not included).

Sorry for the rant but this movie really pissed me off.

*1/2 out of *****

ps. Screaming goats...who the fuck okayed that joke to be used the entire movie? Fuck off.
Why So Blu? (07-13-22)
Old 07-13-22, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian View Post
A Dumpling:Bao was the god of dumplings, who became a member of the Council of Godheads in Omnipotence City. The Asgardian god Thor was aware of Bao's existence.

Bao was present at the gathering of the council in the audience of Zeus. Bao was pointed out by Thor as he observed the various gods in attendance. When Zeus begun his showy entrance, Bao was one of the many gods chanting his name in anticipation. Bao witnessed the following proceedings, including Thor's failed call to arms and violent incapacitatation of Zeus himself, followed swiftly by his escape.
A talking dumpling? Wasn't that already done in a side story of a Pixar movie? I think that a living sentient dumpling is a jump the shark/ nuke the fridge moment for Thor movies and the MCU as a whole.
John Pannozzi (07-15-22)
Old 07-13-22, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

A talking dumpling? Wasn't that already done in a side story of a Pixar movie?
Yup, first thing I thought of when I saw it.
John Pannozzi (07-15-22)
Old 07-13-22, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yup, first thing I thought of when I saw it.
I mean, a talking piece of dough that is considered to be a god and has a mouth, nose and eyes that's stuffed with cabbage, meat, and some vegetables. The MCU has run out of ideas that they have to come up with characters like this or constantly screaming goats? if this is the best they can offer now, I'll just wait until the movies are on Disney+ if I even want to bother watching them at this point.
Old 07-13-22, 01:15 PM
Administrator

Received 646 Likes on 397 Posts

A talking dumpling? Wasn't that already done in a side story of a Pixar movie? I think that a living sentient dumpling is a jump the shark/ nuke the fridge moment for Thor movies and the MCU as a whole.
SURELY, such an outrageously goofy thing has no place in superhero stories!

Much like spiderbite's "write for teenagers", I think this is a phenomenally insane take. I think the MCU has some major problems trying to be all things to all people all the time. Every film has to have a $200M+ budget and make $1B+.

On the other hand, fans need to stop demanding that every piece take itself so seriously and advance an overarching meta-narrative, especially given how many global variants there are on The Hero's Journey and in this film in particular, international mythologies. Some of the stories and concepts from Chinese or Yoruba or Aztec mythology sound dumb as shit, but those also need to be viewed in the context of the cultures from which they originate. Far east culture is very prone to animism in a way that many European-rooted traditions are not. Despite using the Chinese name, I saw the god Bao as natural fit for Shinto (we also see a couple gods wearing masks similar to San in Mononoke Hime, but I'm not an expert in Shinto, so I can't say if both are drawing from the same source or if it was just a shout-out to the Miyazaki film), which is filled with such spirits. There's also a good chance that Waititi, being Maori, related to that as a commonality as it's prominent in Polynesian culture, as well.

And if you're willing to accept Loki getting fucked by Odin's horse (or a set of stones that are embodiments of aspects of the universe), but not a sentient dumpling... I don't know what to tell you.
The following 2 users liked this post by IBJoel:
John Pannozzi (07-15-22), majorjoe23 (07-15-22)
Old 07-13-22, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, as a guy who is totally fine with:
Spider-Ham
Howard the Duck
Lokigator
Slapstick
Doop
MADOK
etc.

some goofy MARVEL is alright.

Except Gamecock...that's too weird.
John Pannozzi (07-15-22)
Old 07-13-22, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by IBJoel View Post

Much like spiderbite's "write for teenagers", I think this is a phenomenally insane take. I think the MCU has some major problems trying to be all things to all people all the time. Every film has to have a $200M+ budget and make $1B+.
I guess I should have just stated, "write something good." Thor: Love and Thunder is not good. It is not even good kiddie writing.

My "write for teenagers" argument is basically a plea for Disney to meet in the middle if they insist on writing these movies/shows to a certain age group instead of just writing something good. Disney appears to be insisting to write for kids 7 and under for the Marvel and Star Wars universes and have given up the "good" option. The least they could do is aim for a higher age bracket in the writing department.

And yes...there have always been dumb, wacky shit in comics books. That is what makes it such an interesting medium. But there were also deep stories such as Jean Grey/Phoenix, Peter Parker "every-man" problems, Hulk's multiple duality battles, Wolverine's tragic origin, Crisis on Infinite Earths, Batman Year One, and on and on.

But of course for every one of those...there is a Secret Wars II. Or something else just as bad or stupid. Yes...there is and has been plenty of shit in the comic universe...but let's not make those into multi-million dollars features, shall we?
Old 07-13-22, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Spiderbite View Post

But of course for every one of those...there is a Secret Wars II. Or something else just as bad or stupid. Yes...there is and has been plenty of shit in the comic universe...but let's not make those into multi-million dollars features, shall we?
Howard the Duck says
IBJoel (07-13-22)
Old 07-13-22, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Howard the Duck says
Lord. I tried to watch that movie a few months ago and it still sucked as bad as it did when I saw it when first released. But even it is better than the new Thor movie.

I always liked silly and serious stuff in comics. It just depended on how well it was written.

I had every issue of Spider-Ham and Captain Carrot alongside my super serious '80s Batman comics.

And dammit...that one panel of Thor having a Creamsicle is far funnier than anything I saw in the new Thor movie where they were tossing jokes out every 3 seconds. But I will admit to a slight snicker at Infinity Cones...the ice cream shop whose sign was the Infinity Gauntlet holding an ice cream cone. Maybe I just need more dairy jokes in my super-hero movies?
Old 07-13-22, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 740 Likes on 570 Posts

ps. Screaming goats...who the fuck okayed that joke to be used the entire movie? Fuck off.
Indeed.

Old 07-13-22, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Indeed.

The biggest laugh in my theatre was when the goats screamed after crashing into the planet but, you know, every time even I admit was a bit much.

My poor friend just got her kids to stop screaming like goats in The Grinch animated movie and now they are at it again after Thor.
Old 07-13-22, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 468 Likes on 334 Posts

Yeah, how'd that Dark Phoenix movie turn out?

Old 07-14-22, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^Not good. I gave it a **1/2 out of *****.

Old 07-14-22, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I didn't care for basically making Thor a doofus. One hammer joke could have worked okay yet it kept going on and the beer dog thing was weird. Jokes are fine when they fit.
Old 07-15-22, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 795 Likes on 649 Posts

Saw it this afternoon with my fiancée. I definitely think this one is a mixed bag. There are some good moments, but then there are times where it leans too heavily into being comedic and some of those moments land, whereas others just fall flat and detract from the film.

Thor is really portrayed as being all over the place. At times he’s serious and a credible hero but yet other times he’s just a big dumb oaf (the whole aspect of him acting like Stormbreaker and Mjolnir were living things he interacts with or him constantly wrecking things).

I liked revisiting the relationship with him and Jane and found some nice heartfelt moments and was glad they didn’t do the typical dramatic thing of having them be at each other’s throats fighting the whole movie.

Bale was good as Gor but he didn’t really have a ton to do. Still a good performance and I liked his motivations for being a villain.

Not a bad movie but also not great in my opinion. Ragnarok was more well balanced and a better overall film.
Old 07-15-22, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, not a huge fan of the cheesy, forced comedy, but my 13 year old son liked it. Goats, catchphrases, jealous Stormbreaker, Melissa McCarthy, plus the kids... I really thought some of the cheesiest parts in the beginning were because it was Korg's (narrative) version of events, but then the rest of movie played out the same way. I preferred Ragnarok, and would've rather waited on this one until it hit Disney+.

I think it was Zeus that said the first to Eternity gets their wish granted, not everyone. But how was Stormbreaker the key to Eternity when Thor just made it? Was that part of an older tale, or did Gorr simply figure out that Stormbreaker could focus the energy needed to unlock it?

And speaking of kids, I saw a bunch of Hemsworths in the credits, and at least one Bale, as well.

I'm not a Ted Lasso fan, so I could've sworn that Hercules was a CGI'ed Bradley Cooper...

And what was up with all of the horror trailers before the movie? Smile, Nope, Beast... Looked them up, and I guess there was a mix, but several seemed really dark for as light as the movie was...

Strange World
Nope
Paws of Fury
Smile
Black Adam
Amsterdam
Bullet Train
Beast

Last edited by Beehut; 07-16-22 at 02:03 PM.
Old 07-16-22, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 819 Likes on 525 Posts

Had to delay seeing it a week due to recovering from covid but I loved it. Everyone was great, the music was awesome, cosmic Marvel has ALWAYS been ridiculous so I love how much this and Guardians lean into that.

I do find it hilarious how many people are bitching that the Phase 4 movies are too standalone when the main complaint for the previous films was that they were just leading to the next one.

They’ve got a bunch of actors involved in these things that are contracting out. These movies like Shang Chi and Eternals are establishing new characters that will take us into the next phase. I’m fine with taking a breather and not going into the next overall big bad.

I do wish Beta Ray Bill had appeared - it’s high time for that to happen. But other than that, another fantastic entry. I got chills at the “Love and Thunder” moment at the end. So good!

And I laughed out loud when Thor’s roommate Darryl showed up.

Couple of answers:

Only Gorr got a wish from Eternity because he was the first to reach him. They say that in the movie.

Stormbreaker could summon the Bifrost and that was needed to open the gate to Eternity.

Last edited by Draven; 07-16-22 at 03:44 PM.
Old 07-16-22, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
I do find it hilarious how many people are bitching that the Phase 4 movies are too standalone when the main complaint for the previous films was that they were just leading to the next one.

They’ve got a bunch of actors involved in these things that are contracting out. These movies like Shang Chi and Eternals are establishing new characters that will take us into the next phase. I’m fine with taking a breather and not going into the next overall big bad.
I had not seen much of that yet. Nice to have a few movies that stand on their own without having to be connected to something bigger.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.