Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
2.04%
4.08%
28.57%
24.49%
22.45%
6.12%
4.08%
4.08%
0%
2.04%
2.04%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 07-08-22, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
Re: Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
Why couldn’t Thor make a wish to Eternity to bring back Jane like Gorr did for his daughter?
I thought maybe Eternity can only grant one wish and Gorr was first in line.
Old 07-08-22, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

From my review page ORBIWAN GOES TO THE MOVIES:

Thor: Love and Thunder (PG-13) - Not nearly as much fun as Ragnarök (or many other MCU films), and tonally all over the place, with some scenes of strained humor followed by serious dark stuff. Not what I was expecting.

WARNING: SOME SPOILERS COMING

Like a lot of Taika Waititi fans, I have been eagerly waiting for “Thor: Love and Thunder” to hit theaters based on my overall love of the rowdy, giggle-inducing and infinitely rewatchable “Thor: Ragnarök”. The trailers led me (and others, I am guessing) to believe this latest MCU film would be a wall-to-wall goofest, highlighting Chris Helmsworth's comedic side. There are some scenes that I felt were very fun LOL-able (the staging of Ragnarok by the Asgardian Theater Troupe consisting of Matt Damon, Liam Helmsworth, Sam Neill and an unexpected choice to play Hela stands out). Unfortunately, we don't get satire or humor at that consistent level in this outing.

The picture opens with worshiper Gorr (Christian Bale) losing his young daughter as they trek through a barren wasteland. He eventually finds a small oasis, which seems to be the abode of a rather arrogant “god” (going with the lower case here), who mocks Gorr’s devotion and faith. Unfortunately for the pompous deity, Gorr comes into the possession of a sword he uses to dispatch the offending being. From that point, Gorr makes it his sacred duty to track down and slay those who are revered as gods.

We then cut to Thor, who is fighting alongside the Guardians of the Galaxy, at least sort of. Korg (the rock soldier voiced by Waititi) narrates for a bit as we see The Guardians and Thor come to the rescue of a civilization in need of some “Magnificent Seven” type of help. This sets up some of the humor that comes in intermittent spurts, such as when the leaders of the people present Thor, Starlord, Drax, et. al, the gift of two oversized screaming goats.

We get yanked back into the life of Jane Foster (Natalie Portman), who is undergoing chemo treatment for Stage 4 cancer. A comment by her friend/assistant Darcy (Kat Dennings) sends Jane to New Asgard in search of Thor and instead finds his shattered hammer Mjolnir. As she watches, Mjolnir reforms itself, bonds itself to Jane, and she becomes The Mighty Thor.

Circumstances eventually reunite Jane and original Thor as they work together (along with King Valkyrie, played by Tessa Thompson, whom I feel was wasted this time around) to defend New Asgard against Gorr The God-Butcher and his army of shadow creatures. Gorr kidnaps all the Asgardian children, and I am leaving it right here.

Overall, I feel the movie was just on the “OK” side. It did not grab me like I had expected, and even Mrs. Orbiwan said it was not as enjoyable as she had hoped it would be. The shifts in tonality basically took me out of the picture from time to time and I realize that not everyone will agree with me. I did like the inclusion of Guns and Roses in the soundtrack, though. “Thor: Love and Thunder” only gets 2.5 out of 5 lightsabers out of this Old Jedi. There’s a promise that Thor will return. I am just wondering which version it will be.

NOTES FOR PARENTS (MINOR SPOILERS): "Thor: Love and Thunder” is rated PG-13 for intense sequences of sci-fi violence and action, some dark and creepy images, language, some suggestive material and partial nudity.“Sh**” and variations are heard from time to time. “D**n” and “h**l” are heard, as well. Towards the end of the movie, a child uses “h**l” when speaking to an adult. There’s a lot of fighting involving a magical hammer, a magical axe, and a magical thunderbolt weapon. New Asgard is shown under attack by dark creatures created from the shadows. Gorr rips off a creature’s head in front of the Asgardian children he has kidnapped and throws it at them. Zeus (!) removes Thor’s clothes and we see him standing naked from the back for a few seconds. Zeus’ handmaidens faint from what they see from their angle, and are visibly disappointed when Zeus covers Thor with a wrap.

MID- AND AFTER-CREDIT SCENES: MID-CREDIT: We find out that Zeus is not dead, and is preparing to send his son, Hercules, into the world to fight superheroes. AFTER-CREDIT: We see where Jane ends up after the final battle.

LIKE Orbi-Wan Goes To The Movies, and SHARE with your family and friends! www.orbiwanblogs.me/moviereviews

ORBI-WAN GOES TO THE MOVIES is protected under Creative Commons.

Last edited by Orbi-Wan Techno; 07-08-22 at 03:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Troy Stiffler (07-09-22)
Old 07-08-22, 06:59 PM

Received 330 Likes on 210 Posts

Just read that Gorr’s daughter was played by India Hemsworth, Chris’ real life daughter. That is so sweet.

She did a great job.
John Pannozzi (07-15-22)
Old 07-08-22, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

I liked the movie. It was a good show to drink a beer and enjoy a pizza at the Santikos in Cibolo, TX. My only complaint is that the pizzas seem to have shrunk in size. Not impressed.
Old 07-09-22, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 2,064 Likes on 1,515 Posts

Just got back. I would say there were some fun moments, but it was nowhere near as good as Ragnarok. It was by no means bad, but just good. I would rank this as my 3rd favorite in the series.

Bale was a good and sometimes scary villain. I did like Portman back as Jane and she was awesome as Mighty Thor and she looked really good with the jacked arms and blonde hair extensions. The Guardians appearance felt more like an extended cameo. And I don't know how I feel about Thor becoming an adoptive parent to Gorr's daughter.

I would probably rank this as a 7 out of 10 and maybe a B.

The 1st post credits scene didn't really do much for me. I mean a Hercules cameo. Okay. It didn't really get a reaction from my audience. The 2nd one was cute seeing Jane move on into Vahalla.

It looked like my AMC didn't have the $40 hammer popcorn bucket. I would not have bought it anyways. Way too expensive.

I would say if you're only a casual MCU fan, then maybe you can wait the 45 days to see it on Disney +

Last edited by DJariya; 07-09-22 at 02:03 AM.
Old 07-09-22, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 740 Likes on 570 Posts

Saw this last night and it was ok, I guess. Ragnarok is a much better film all around in terms of story and comedic flourishes. This shit beats you over the head with one stupid gag after another. Some do work but a lot of them do not.

Loved the soundtrack. I think the Hercules cameo was weak and his costume was stupid, but I guess that's the point since Zeus also had a stupid looking costume. The goats could have been awesome if they didn't scream every time they were onscreen.

If anything, at least this movie might make the younger generation discover some GNR and Dio. The end credit fonts all looked like metal and 80's album cover fonts from various bands and whatnot.
The following 3 users liked this post by Why So Blu?:
DJariya (07-09-22), John Pannozzi (07-15-22), Music (07-13-22)
Old 07-09-22, 01:48 PM

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post

The 1st post credits scene didn't really do much for me. I mean a Hercules cameo. Okay. It didn't really get a reaction from my audience. The 2nd one was cute seeing Jane move on into Vahalla.
As a Ted Lasso fan and as mentioned above, I so wanted to yell “ROY FUCKING KENT!” but alas wouldn’t be family friendly, lol. Looking forward to him in the MCU.

I liked Gorr’s motivation (although losing your kid in that manner hit me hard). Bale did a great job. Cool tidbit that’s Chris’s daughter. Did not know that.

I think I’m liking this more as I think back about it. Will probably end up seeing it again with the family. 2nd best of the Thor’s for me, you aren’t going to top Goldblum and everything else that Ragnorak was (Immigrant Song/lightning fight is way up there for me).
Old 07-09-22, 01:59 PM

Received 330 Likes on 210 Posts

With Hercules in the MCU, will he be Thor's rival or enemy? Both could work pretty well and could be interchangeable in the same movie. Goldstein has proven his comic chops and timing and could easily play off of Hemsworth (better than Pratt anyways).
Old 07-09-22, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 192 Likes on 148 Posts

Hercules and Thor will likely start off as enemies but end up being running buddies. I wouldn't put it past Hercules becoming the "replacement" for Thor when Hemsworth decides to step aside. Thor will likely be the character having the most solo movies in the MCU. I'm still disappointed we only got 3 Iron Man movies and the third one dropped the ball on what should have been an epic conclusion to his solo movie run.
John Pannozzi (07-15-22)
Old 07-09-22, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 121 Likes on 95 Posts

Caught this today and enjoyed it overall. However, it further illustrates the fact that the new phase of the MCU is pretty directionless in terms of the big overall story.

I have to say, this movie gave off a very Terry Gilliam vibe stylistically, except a bit more commercial than his efforts.
Old 07-10-22, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,481 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD View Post
Caught this today and enjoyed it overall. However, it further illustrates the fact that the new phase of the MCU is pretty directionless in terms of the big overall story.
It's like a rudderless ship without the Avengers to anchor it. Black Widow was essentially a flashback. Shang-Chi and The Eternals barely had any connection to anything we've seen before, except for reviving The Mandarin plot from Iron Man 3 and showing more about the Celestials. Spiderman No Way Home and Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness seemed to exist only to bring in versions of characters from other, previously unconnected Marvel franchises.

I guess we have Kang the Conqueror lurking around in the background, but it doesn't really feel like it's building toward anything interesting like Thanos was during the first three phases.

They need to stop fucking around with all of these junior varsity characters and get the fucking Fantastic Four and X-Men in there before general audiences start to abandon Marvel in droves.

In some ways, I wonder if the DCEU imploding so spectacularly with Justice League hasn't made Marvel lazy. They have no current competition, and no threat of future competition because they know DC and Warners will never get their shit together.
The following 2 users liked this post by Josh-da-man:
Dr. DVD (07-10-22), tommyp007 (07-10-22)
Old 07-10-22, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 152 Likes on 93 Posts

I have a love/hate relationship with Taika Waititi. I *despised* What We Do in the Shadows but consider JoJo Rabbit one of my desert island movies. But at the end of the day he's little more than a watered down/dumbed down Joss Whedon (irrespective of Whedon's abominable behavior). (Hence cribbing Whedon's "puny God" gag in Ragnorok.) As far a Love and Thunder, someone needed to turn the Waititi-knob down like 5-10 dial about 5 to 10 notches. We get it, Taika, we know you like levity in your movies. L&T was a trial to sit through. TK can do better.
Old 07-10-22, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 41 Posts

I bet FF and X-men will be a major challenge for them to get right.
Old 07-10-22, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Too silly for me, and many of the jokes didn't land. The audience I saw it with barely laughed at all. I was hoping we'd get one whole film about Thor and the Guardians' adventures together before they parted ways, but the Guardians sadly exited early on. Glad to see Sif again but was disappointed how little she was in it (and the fact that she now has only one arm). Glad to see Darcy and Selvig again but was disappointed how little they were in it. The goats were annoying as hell, as was Crowe's Zeus. Thor's first three flicks were better because they had Loki. Other than the two Spider-man movies that came out after End Game, I've been disappointed with everything the MCU has put out since that film, so I might just wait for future films to hit Disney+ and skip the theater.
Why So Blu? (07-10-22)
Old 07-10-22, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 170 Posts

Well, it was better than Dr. Strange. I guess that's faint praise, but I enjoyed most of it...even though ultimately, it's pretty forgettable. So far Phase 4 seems to have no focus to it. Which is fine, if standalones are the goal, but they're not supposed to be, right?
Old 07-10-22, 04:01 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 114 Likes on 88 Posts

I gave it 3 out of 5.

I think just about all the scenes with the Guardians were in the trailers

The littler girl shooting lightening from her Teddy Bear’s eyes cracked me up
Old 07-10-22, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 121 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by MrX View Post
I gave it 3 out of 5.

See, I think the whole premise of Thor and the kids could have been an interesting movie in and of itself. A kind of Bad News Bears with god children.
Old 07-10-22, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 183 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
Roy FUCKING Kent as Hercules! Woooooah.
Who is this Roy Kent guy? I've never heard of that actor. Any good?

Why do they bother putting Kat Dennings in these things if they're not gonna show her rack?

Portman was a bore as usual with her fake arms. So Jane just decided to take her ex boyfriend's name? Seems weird.

Someone remind me why Gamora wasn't in this. I thought they brought back a different version of her and she went with the Guardians.
Old 07-10-22, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by windom View Post
Who is this Roy Kent guy? I've never heard of that actor. Any good?

Why do they bother putting Kat Dennings in these things if they're not gonna show her rack?

Portman was a bore as usual with her fake arms. So Jane just decided to take her ex boyfriend's name? Seems weird.

Someone remind me why Gamora wasn't in this. I thought they brought back a different version of her and she went with the Guardians.
Its Brett Goldstein who plays Roy Kent on Ted Lasso. C’mon man you’ve never watched Ted Lasso? I thought you were the pop culture pundit here

And what do you mean “fake arms”? Portman trained for this movie.
Old 07-10-22, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 183 Likes on 134 Posts

I watched the first two episodes of Ted Lasso because they were free on a plane trip. I don't remember a Roy Kent. Only some guy that would bring his boss some cookies.

In the behind the scenes video that came out recently, they showed Portman with her normal size arms with dots on them, obviously so they could add CGI arms over them.
Old 07-10-22, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by windom View Post
I watched the first two episodes of Ted Lasso because they were free on a plane trip. I don't remember a Roy Kent. Only some guy that would bring his boss some cookies.

In the behind the scenes video that came out recently, they showed Portman with her normal size arms with dots on them, obviously so they could add CGI arms over them.
And Hemsworth had the dots too. They were both bigger than normal and enhanced.
Old 07-11-22, 05:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 199 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by MrX View Post
I gave it 3 out of 5.

I thought it was a rabbit.
Old 07-11-22, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 468 Likes on 334 Posts

I liked Gorr and his motivation and that all gods are not benevolent. Taiki leans into the fact that most are self serving assholes. Too bad the Christian right won't see it that way.
I liked Thor and Jane addressing their relationship problems. The montage of their falling out and then they being able to express their feelings makes Jane's sacrifice more noble to really show Thor what it truly means to be worthy.

Disappointed that there was no Beta Ray Bill. I didn't expect Heimdall to greet Jane in Valhalla, I would have thought it to be Frigga.
Old 07-11-22, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 666 Likes on 400 Posts

My only gripe with this flick is Jane's Death. To be honest, I was quite digging her version of Thor and hoped she might linger around for a few more movies.
The following 2 users liked this post by ViewAskewbian:
IBJoel (07-12-22), Music (07-13-22)
Old 07-11-22, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk God

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.