Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Barbarian (2022, W/D: Cregger) -- S: Georgina Campbell, Bill Skarsgård, Justin Long

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Barbarian (2022, W/D: Cregger) -- S: Georgina Campbell, Bill Skarsgård, Justin Long

Old 06-27-22, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 2,067 Likes on 1,517 Posts

Some stay for a night. Some stay for a week. Some never leave. Barbarian Only In Theaters August 31, 2022.

In “Barbarian,” a young woman traveling to Detroit for a job interview books a rental home. But when she arrives late at night, she discovers that the house is double booked, and a strange man is already staying there. Against her better judgement, she decides to spend the evening, but soon discovers that there’s a lot more to fear than just an unexpected house guest.

From 20th Century Studios and New Regency, “Barbarian” stars Georgina Campbell, Bill Skarsgård, Justin Long, Matthew Patrick Davis, Richard Brake, Kurt Braunohler and Jaymes Butler.

The film was written and directed by Zach Cregger.

The producers are Arnon Milchan, Roy Lee, Raphael Margules and J.D. Lifshitz. Yariv Milchan, Michael Schaefer, Natalie Lehmann, Danny Chan, Alex Lebovici and Bill Skarsgård are the film’s executive producers.

Old 09-07-22, 07:26 AM

Received 3,058 Likes on 2,073 Posts
Re: Barbarian (2022, W/D: Cregger) -- S: Georgina Campbell, Bill Skarsgård, Justin Long

This is out this weekend.

I've seen some industry folk and directors tweet very positive things about it.
Old 09-07-22, 12:47 PM

Re: Barbarian (2022, W/D: Cregger) -- S: Georgina Campbell, Bill Skarsgård, Justin Long

Reviews: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/barbarian_2022
Old 09-07-22, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

Seeing lots of very positive tweets from critics . Figured this was a throwaway end of summer horror film, but apparently not.
Old 09-09-22, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 173 Likes on 117 Posts

I'm surprised by all the positive reviews for this movie. I thought it was quite mediocre.

Enjoyed the 1st half set-up as the story's female protagonist is made out to be paranoid about her safety, which made it seem like she was going to make some intelligent decisions throughout the rest of the movie, but then after she freaks out and is ready to bolt from the house, she continues to go back to the home and the basement over and over and over and over, which was ridiculous. I mean, I could accept it if she was going back to rescue a close friend, but she was continually risking her safety for guys that she barely knew.

There's an effective gore sequence at the end of the first third of the movie, and I also liked seeing Justin Long pop up as an amusingly slimy dude who runs into cancel culture, but some of the decisions he makes in the latter half of the movie are also pretty damn stupid. Ultimately, once it's revealed what is actually going on downstairs, the movie just kind of turns into a lackluster suburban version of Stuart Gordon's Castle Freak, with a surfeit of plotholes. There is some social commentary about the decline of the Detroit suburbs and how atrocious the Detroit cops are, but most of it just feels like window dressing on some overly familiar horror movie tropes.
Old 09-09-22, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees View Post
I'm surprised by all the positive reviews for this movie. I thought it was quite mediocre.

Enjoyed the 1st half set-up as the story's female protagonist is made out to be paranoid about her safety, which made it seem like she was going to make some intelligent decisions throughout the rest of the movie, but then after she freaks out and is ready to bolt from the house, she continues to go back to the home and the basement over and over and over and over, which was ridiculous. I mean, I could accept it if she was going back to rescue a close friend, but she was continually risking her safety for guys that she barely knew.
I agree. There were a lot of contrivances and questionable decisions that were just too glaring. I would say it was fine overall.
Old 09-09-22, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 194 Likes on 149 Posts

One messed up movie. I just want to know who is buying the groceries?
Old 09-10-22, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 297 Likes on 203 Posts

Spoiler:
The cops not investigating her claim was the only thing that stretched logic a bit too much for me. Especially since her expensive ass SUV was sitting right there and she was obviously cognitively very with it. Meaning not just a rambling addict/mentally ill person.

There were a couple other things that stretched logic too. But I didn’t mind them in a horror film setting. Overall I liked this a good bit.
Old 09-10-22, 04:52 PM

Received 78 Likes on 55 Posts

I thought Georgina Campbell did a nice job, but the "mutant" subgenre doesn't appeal to me all that much. I really enjoyed the first half with all the setup and felt like she and Skarsgard had good chemistry, but then they bring this douchebag played by Justin Long into the picture and it all went downhill from there. Gave me "Don't Breathe" vibes, but not as good as that one,IMO.
Old 09-10-22, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I thought it was pretty fun. I thought Justin Long's character was great.
Old 09-11-22, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 194 Likes on 149 Posts

After seeing this movie on Friday night and enjoying it for the most part for what it is, I think what sinks in the most as the terrifying aspect is
Spoiler:
The fact that men like Frank exist in this world. There have been serial killers and rapist that have held women in confinement in boxes at the end of their bed, in storage containers, in underground basements, etc., where they are tortured, raped, taped, and oftentimes murdered. The deformed woman was scary, but seeing the tapes and the evil in the man that caused so much destruction in the lives of people throughout the years and his trophies (tapes) of his crimes send shivers down my spine more than the thought of an actual monster roaming the streets. The fact that people like this live among us and are oftentimes undistinguishable from actual good people is the scariest of all. Imagining one of your loved ones meeting a fate like this and you never know what happened to them. We are the cause of our own downfall and this depravity is the worst there is.

These are the thoughts that really affect the psyche of the people that just want to live a normal life and do good.
The following 2 users liked this post by dsa_shea:
John Pannozzi (09-11-22), Wolf359 (09-11-22)
Old 09-11-22, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 151 Likes on 99 Posts

Scary, disturbing and absolutely disgusting. I have a strong stomach and I thought I was going to hurl a couple times....I loved it!

I won't be forgetting about this one anytime soon
Old 09-11-22, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 100 Likes on 71 Posts

This didn't really work for me. I enjoyed it well enough but a strong start ultimately became too dumb. I guess 2 1/2 stars.
Old 09-13-22, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 192 Likes on 139 Posts

Wow, this was a treat.

I commend the trailer for completely fooling me. I saw it multiple times before other movies, and it looked like it spelled out the entire premise. When the movie started, I felt bored by the set-up, thinking, "I know where this is going, let her discover the creepy guy has tricked her into going into his prison dungeon already." I expected something similar in tone and scope to The Black Phone.

So half an hour into the movie my jaw dropped, as I realized I had it all wrong, and I had no idea where this movie was going to go. Over and over again, I was delighted as it changed focus. The mis-leading trailer enhanced my enjoyment immensely.

The Justin Long character is one of the most hilarious movie scumbags I've seen in awhile (it took awhile to recognize this is the voice of Kevin on F Is For Family. The fact that he's so oblivious to his awfulness made him a comic delight to watch. The sequence of his creaming his jeans as his measuring tape goes on and on was as enjoyable as watching Rick Dalton melting down in his trailer.

Unfortunately, the ending fumbled a few things for me, but not enough to detract from the big smile of astonishment I had on my face for most of the movie. I can't remember the last time I had a bigger turnaround from thinking during the first twenty minutes, "This is fine, but clearly a movie I'll never watch again" to one of the most fun times I've had at the theatre this summer.

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees View Post
after she freaks out and is ready to bolt from the house, she continues to go back to the home and the basement over and over and over and over, which was ridiculous. I mean, I could accept it if she was going back to rescue a close friend, but she was continually risking her safety for guys that she barely knew.
I enjoyed the irony of her heroism, that after the distrust she (and certainly I, as an audience member) had for the first guy, who by all means seems to have been sincere, she went above and beyond to help the other guy (as she herself would have wanted someone to do the same for her were the roles reversed), only this time the guy is a complete scumbag, who
Spoiler:
is willing to kill her without a moment's hesitation to save himself

. I wonder if there was a darker, alternate ending
Spoiler:
where she dies in the fall, and he's the one to prevail, even getting his TV career back

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes View Post
Spoiler:
The cops not investigating her claim was the only thing that stretched logic a bit too much for me. Especially since her expensive ass SUV was sitting right there and she was obviously cognitively very with it. Meaning not just a rambling addict/mentally ill person.

That didn't bother me at all, as I just took it as the cops having given up on that entire area, not caring to get involved with whatever those "animals" are doing down there. However, the thing that bothered me is a little tied into your point:

Spoiler:
I found it hard to believe she or him wouldn't have gone for his car keys, to get into a vehicle and put miles and miles between themselves and that house. Going on foot seemed too risky. My solution would have been for her vehicle to be vandalized and stripped during the weeks she was trapped in the house. Since her car is now just more trash on the street (which gives the cops another excuse to discredit her), she crashes HIS car into the house. There even could have been a good suspense beat of her looking around the living room for his keys, while off-screen we hear the sound of Mother coming up the stairs. After that, neither vehicle is available for them to use, and they have no choice but to run on foot.

Last edited by Crocker Jarmen; 09-13-22 at 08:16 PM.
Old 09-21-22, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 41 Posts

So where can I watch this damn flick? I guess it was on HBO Max for a bit and I missed it? Is it only in theaters now?
Old 09-21-22, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 192 Likes on 139 Posts

It hasn't even been at the theatres for two weeks yet. It's a Fox movie, so it'll probably be on Hulu (or Disney+ if you're outside America)
Old 09-21-22, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 691 Likes on 559 Posts

My guess is it'll be on HBO Max and Hulu about a week before Halloween.
Old 09-30-22, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 578 Likes on 405 Posts

I don't watch a lot of horror movies, but I was intrigued enough by some of the buzz this had been getting to check it out. I will say for sure that at no point did I ever have any idea where this was going, which was a lot of fun. I LOVED the first 30-40 minutes, but it started to get a little stupid from that point on. Justin Long is great, but the actual horror stuff in these movies interest me a lot less than the setups. That's probably why I don't watch a lot of horror movies. The payoff almost never lives up to the build. Overall I still enjoyed it. As a non-horror fan, I have know idea how it stacks up to similar films, but overall I enjoyed it.