Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Jurassic World: Dominion (2022, D: Trevorrow) -- S: Pratt, Howard -- The Spoiler Review Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of Jurassic World: Dominion?
2.27%
0%
11.36%
20.45%
18.18%
18.18%
13.64%
6.82%
2.27%
4.55%
0%
Don't care No Interest
0%
Will wait until it hits PVOD or Peacock
2.27%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Jurassic World: Dominion (2022, D: Trevorrow) -- S: Pratt, Howard -- The Spoiler Review Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-22, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts
Re: Jurassic World: Dominion (2022, D: Trevorrow) -- S: Pratt, Howard -- The Spoiler Review Thread

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
and the "he slid into my DMs" was misused and eye rolling.
Yeah, that definitely wasn't the best choice for dialogue there. Should have added her asking some young tech-nerd walking by if she used the phrase right. Or just cut it altogether.
Old 07-02-22, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts
Re: Jurassic World: Dominion (2022, D: Trevorrow) -- S: Pratt, Howard -- The Spoiler Review Thread

Mini-review from ORBI-WAN GOES TO THE MOVIES:

Yeah, the old Jedi realizes this is a few weeks late, but I finally managed to see “Jurassic World: Dominion” as we move into the 4th of July weekend.

Keeping it brief, basically dinosaurs are continuing to roam about all over the world, but that really isn’t focus of the threat in this sixth installment of the series. Instead, the world’s food supplies are in danger of being consumed by a new strain of giant prehistoric locusts that have been unleashed. Yeah, you read that right, foot-long flying bugs are starting to devastate crops.

in the meantime, Claire and Owen (Bryce Dallas Howard and Chris Pratt) are in hiding to protect their “adopted” daughter Maisy (Isabella Sermon), the clone girl we met in the last movie. When Maisy and Beta, raptor Blue’s child, are kidnapped by those responsible for the locust outbreak, Claire and Owen are hot on their heels to rescue both “children.”

This also allows them to team up with Kayla (Dewanda Wise), who runs supplies for the corporation Biosyn, and also teams them with Alan, Ellie and Malcolm (Sam Neil, Laura Dern and Jeff Goldblum) from the first Jurassic Park movies.

The effects are again excellent, the dinosaurs are fun to watch, and the giant locusts add a certain “ick” factor to the proceedings. However, I felt some of the action scenes went on a bit long, though watching Owen outrun raptors through the streets of a European city was pretty good. The cave sequence centered on Claire, Ellie and Maisy was not my favorite. Overall, it was interesting to see how things would wrap up this film franchise, but I did catch the nod to the Netflix animated series “Camp Cretaceous” during a scene featuring something like an observation “treehouse”, and that streaming series is getting ready to start a new season. Overall, I am giving “Jurassic World: Dominion” 3.5 out of 5 lightsabers, and it is not as bad as a lot of critics have made it out to be. And yes, I will be watching the new season of “Camp Cretaceous.”

NOTES TO PARENTS: “Jurassic World: Dominion” is rated PG-13 for action, some violence and fairly mild language. I heard “sh**” and ”bullsh**” a couple of times, “d**n” infrequently, and one use of “g**d**n”. I heard no “F-bombs” at all. The violence was typical of the Jurassic series, and we do see dinosaurs chomping on some folks, but not in a bloody or gory fashion. The locusts swarm around some folks trying to outrun them (the ick factor), but they never actually cause direct harm to humans that we see.

MID/AFTER-CREDIT SCENES: There are no extra scenes once the credits roll.

LIKE and SHARE at this review from ORBI-WAN GOES TO THE MOVIES with family and friends.

ORBI-WAN GOES TO THE MOVIES aid protected under Creative Commons.

Last edited by Orbi-Wan Techno; 07-02-22 at 08:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Michael Corvin (07-03-22)
Old 07-03-22, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Funny, Orbi...I too felt there was one scene that just went on too long and that was the Owen cycle/raptor chase in Malta.
Old 07-05-22, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 958 Likes on 665 Posts

For me I think this was a case where waiting to see this and hearing how terrible it was really helped my screening of the movie. I wasn't expecting very much at all and so thought that it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. Don't get me wrong I still think it's a bad movie for multiple reasons and disappointing that this is the culmination and send off for these JP and JW characters. I really enjoyed seeing the legacy characters and the new characters in the same movie and eventually meeting up. I wish it happened earlier in the movie but they had way too much to set up. Massie didn't end up being annoying and was pretty likeable in this movie, which was a nice surprise. Ian Malcolm was the highlight of the movie. Glad to finally see him again. Especially liked all the call backs and them poking fun at themselves like Ian buttoning up his shirt. I liked seeing blue again as well as the return of the dilophosaurs! I also really liked the dimetrodons and the way they shot that scene. It was kind of like the reveal of the baryonyx in the last movie.

Pretty much everything else was trash. The plot was absolutely ridiculous. WTF was up with them basically lifting Tim Cook and using him as the worst bad guy in JP history. Either Tim Cook or that guy from Don't Look Up. Seriously his character was just so stupid. Why did there even need to BE yet another evil corporation in a JP movie? I agree with everyone else that the whole park aspect was just ridiculous. No need to have all the dinosaurs in one area contained. WTF was up with the whole locust plot? It could have been intriguing in a totally different movie that didn't feature freaking dinosaurs? Why focus on those lets just focus on locusts. Those are everybody's favorite right? So dumb. Oh wait, not dumb enough, lets set them on fire now and not die so they're fire locusts. The dinosaurs with the feathers were stupid too. I mean they finally have something somewhat scientifically accurate but they play them off as yet another movie monster. I think that's the one thing every JP movie has gotten wrong after the first one. Yeah dinosaurs are fun to set up to be the antagonist but every single movie has progressively made them into mindless movie monsters. They don't feel like they are real creatures because they increasingly look less intelligent and more gross looking killing machines.
Old 07-06-22, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts

I didn't mind the locust plot because it saved us from yet another "genetically engineered dinosaur is pure evil" recycled plot. I thought it was a nice way to have a more global threat without going into full Dino Riders mode. This (and really every one of these movies) is basically turn off your brain at the door and watch dinosaurs threaten humans anyway, except this time with a ton of actor fan service.

My kids have been watching Camp Cretaceous and they actually weave the series into the movie timelines pretty well, I was actually a bit surprised.
Old 07-06-22, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 958 Likes on 665 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I didn't mind the locust plot because it saved us from yet another "genetically engineered dinosaur is pure evil" recycled plot. I thought it was a nice way to have a more global threat without going into full Dino Riders mode. This (and really every one of these movies) is basically turn off your brain at the door and watch dinosaurs threaten humans anyway, except this time with a ton of actor fan service.

My kids have been watching Camp Cretaceous and they actually weave the series into the movie timelines pretty well, I was actually a bit surprised.
I think they could have easily crafted a compelling story about dinosaurs without going even crazier with their genetic manipulation then they already did. They still had the stupid laser attack dinosaurs. I think I would have rather them just go full on Dinoriders. (I still want my Dinoriders movie!) then the inane locust plot.
Old 07-07-22, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I wonder if the laser raptors was a nod to those decades old rumors of militarized dinosaurs sequel that never (thankfully) came to be.
Old 07-07-22, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I wonder if the laser raptors was a nod to those decades old rumors of militarized dinosaurs sequel that never (thankfully) came to be.
Isn't that just a continuation of the thread in the other movies:
Jurassic World: hand gestures and clicking can help control raptors
Jurassic World 2: You can point guns at people and instead of just shooting them point a laser at them and the artificially bred raptor hybrid will kill them (this was the height of stupidity)
Jurassic World 3: We've perfected it with a laser pointer and different raptors

But yeah I'd be up for a Dino Riders movie with an actual budget. Just for the toys my son would no doubt want.
tanman (07-07-22)
Old 07-13-22, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

This is going to be streaming on Friday
Old 07-13-22, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

It’s paid video on demand. So a $20 rental. Just so people here don’t expect to see it on Peacock.

https://www.slashfilm.com/923579/her...inion-at-home/

It won’t be on Peacock until sometime in October.

Last edited by DJariya; 07-13-22 at 07:33 PM.
Old 07-15-22, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

This is up on PVOD today for those who missed it in theatres and are willing to spend the $$$

https://www.jurassicworld.com/watch-at-home/

$30 purchase and $20 rental on the major VOD services.

No subscription streaming until sometime in October on Peacock.

Old 07-15-22, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I still think the ultra short theater windows is a mistake and will lead to more people skipping the theatrical releases, but that said I will check this out this weekend.
Old 07-15-22, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts

Didn't think this was terrible, I actually liked it better than Fallen Kingdom. Still has its problems, but loved the reunion of the original cast.
Old 07-15-22, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

deleted

Last edited by Koby; 08-12-22 at 02:21 PM.
Old 07-27-22, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Finally saw this last night. It took us a while to see it because the theaters have constantly been kind of crowded for it. There were still a fair amount of people seeing it last night.
Old 07-27-22, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Finally saw it. Junky script with a lot of stupid crap but the dinosaur scenes were mostly entertaining. Definitely better than Fallen Kingdom but not as good as the original Jurassic World. (Of course, I think the Jurassic Park trilogy is better than this trilogy.)

(It's funny how the Jurassic World trilogy mirrored the Star Wars sequel trilogy for me: I liked the first one despite its many flaws, alsolutely hated the second one, and think the third one is also bad but an improvement over the second one.)
Old 07-27-22, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DaveNinja
Finally saw this last night. It took us a while to see it because the theaters have constantly been kind of crowded for it. There were still a fair amount of people seeing it last night.
I'm kind of surprised that it's still that crowded on a weekday but I guess that's good news for the local theaters.
Old 07-27-22, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

I have come to realize that I will watch this film again when it hits the streamers, I do not get too emotionally invested in these films so stuff that causes people to tear into these films does not effect my interest in seeing the JP films. I get it and actually agree with a lot of the criticisms leveled at many of the films in this franchise, but y'know....dinosaur action and some decent actors in the films do the trick for me. I have seen all of the films at least twice, including Fallen Kingdom (which I actually like, as others have noted on this site, if not certainly on other film pop culture sites on the web, the horror film like setting of long-toothed dinosaurs stalking folks in the mansion and the whole dino auction part of the film, it worked for me and kind-of felt like something new and unexpected in a JP film).

I also just finished up Camp Cretaceous, the animated series on Netflix, and the final season added the fake Tim Cook to the series so you can tell the show was heading towards the events in Dominion. If I had more room in my apt. I might have actually strongly considered buying that fancy set with the raptor(s) sculpture on Gruv, but no room and a bit pricey so I remain disciplined and have not pre-ordered.
Old 07-27-22, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Camp Crustaceous is actually really well integrated into the movies, almost shockingly so for what seems like a kids-focused spin off. I appreciate that a lot.
Old 08-20-22, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,200 Likes on 2,065 Posts

I finally got around to watching this last night. Overall I didn’t hate it and actually kind of enjoyed it for the most part but holy shit is this script a mess! Really, you have a movie about an entire world of dinosaurs roaming around and you focus on big locusts destroying crops and a weird cloned girl?!

Pros:
- I loved seeing the legacy characters back!

- Watching Dr. Sattler and Dr. Grant’s character progress.

- Ian Malcolm had some funny one-liners with oerfect Goldblum-ian delivery.

- The subtle nods to the original (Ian buttoning his shirt , Ellie removing her sunglasses at the beginning)

- The Dino special effects were pretty good and probably the best since the original in ‘93.

- Bryce Dallas Howard is always good to watch.

Cons:
- That fucking script! Just…damn!

- The not-so-subtle nods to the original (Ian distracting the Dino with the flaming spear, the re-appearance of the shaving cream can for no reason whatsoever).

- Again the script! I watched the extended cut so I’m not sure what was added back in but this story could have been streamlined so much better. Characters crossed paths in the most unbelievable ways, character motivations were plucked out of thin air, plot devices were all so convenient.

- The weather/environment. They literally went from jungle/rainforest to winter/snow in the exact same location.

- What was up with that Asian lady with the laser pointers? She was set up as the villain and then disappeared altogether. Not that she was particularly interesting but it was an odd dropped plot line.

- Dodson. Is this supposed to be the same guy from the first movie? Just a relative with the same name? I know it was two different actors but it was also two completely different characters. Weird real-life inspired tech billionaires seems to be a strange cliché in movies lately.

-B.D. Wong. They actually set his character up as a fairly interesting villain with fun “bad guy” motivations in the JW movies and then flip it around completely in this movie to give him a redemption story.

Last edited by GoldenJCJ; 08-20-22 at 01:08 PM.
Old 08-21-22, 03:25 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ

- Dodson. Is this supposed to be the same guy from the first movie? Just a relative with the same name? I know it was two different actors but it was also two completely different characters. Weird real-life inspired tech billionaires seems to be a strange cliché in movies lately.
Same character. Different actor. The original actor is a convicted rapist.
Old 08-21-22, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

I finally got around to watching this last night. Overall I didn’t hate it and actually kind of enjoyed it for the most part but holy shit is this script a mess! Really, you have a movie about an entire world of dinosaurs roaming around and you focus on big locusts destroying crops and a weird cloned girl?!

Pros:
- I loved seeing the legacy characters back!

- Watching Dr. Sattler and Dr. Grant’s character progress.

- Ian Malcolm had some funny one-liners with oerfect Goldblum-ian delivery.

- The subtle nods to the original (Ian buttoning his shirt , Ellie removing her sunglasses at the beginning)

- The Dino special effects were pretty good and probably the best since the original in ‘93.

- Bryce Dallas Howard is always good to watch.

Cons:
- That fucking script! Just…damn!

- The not-so-subtle nods to the original (Ian distracting the Dino with the flaming spear, the re-appearance of the shaving cream can for no reason whatsoever).

- Again the script! I watched the extended cut so I’m not sure what was added back in but this story could have been streamlined so much better. Characters crossed paths in the most unbelievable ways, character motivations were plucked out of thin air, plot devices were all so convenient.

- The weather/environment. They literally went from jungle/rainforest to winter/snow in the exact same location.

- What was up with that Asian lady with the laser pointers? She was set up as the villain and then disappeared altogether. Not that she was particularly interesting but it was an odd dropped plot line.

-B.D. Wong. They actually set his character up as a fairly interesting villain with fun “bad guy” motivations in the JW movies and then flip it around completely in this movie to give him a redemption story.
I enjoyed it overall but had almost the same exact gripes as you (especially regarding how they handled B.D. Song's Dr. Henry Wu).

You say you watched the extended cut? I was hoping it'd address what happened to Dichen Lachman's character (the Asian lady). She's seemingly captured but then it's mentioned that she got word to Dodgson that Owen and Claire escaped on a plane. I assumed the extended cut would show her killing Owen's buddy and somehow managing to witness the two leads flying away.

Last edited by RocShemp; 08-21-22 at 08:33 PM.
Old 08-21-22, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,200 Likes on 2,065 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
You say you watched the extended cut? I was hoping it'd address what happened to Richer Lady man's character (the Asian lady). She's seemingly captured but then it's mentioned that she got word to Dodson that Owen and Claire escaped on a plane. I assumed the extended cut would show her killing Owen's buddy and somehow managing to witness the two leads flying away.
Nope. In the extended cut, the last we see of her is when Owen’s buddy had his gun pointed at her with her hands up. She gives off one last laser pointer cue to the dinos to chase Owen on the motorcycle and then we never see her again.

Also, it’s good to see you back, RocShemp. You were always a decent dude to interact with.
Old 08-21-22, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Nope. In the extended cut, the last we see of her is when Owen’s buddy had his gun pointed at her with her hands up. She gives off one last laser pointer cue to the dinos to chase Owen on the motorcycle and then we never see her again.
Yeah, that's exactly how it played out in the theatrical cut. I was hoping the extended cut would have fleshed that out.

Also, it’s good to see you back, RocShemp. You were always a decent dude to interact with.
Thanks. I always felt the same about you (as well as other folk here).
GoldenJCJ (08-21-22)
Old 08-25-22, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Wow. Genetically modified locusts. I hope Universal got a discount on the screenwriters... On the plus side, some of the effects were okay. The hero shots of the two franchises (Jurassic Park and Jurassic World) looked good. Otherwise this was a slug to get through and felt like the old guard and new guard were phoning it in. I didn't like Lost Kingdom very much but at least it was entertainingly dumb. *¼/***** (4K Ultra HD)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.