Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Vengeance (2022, D: B.J. Novak) S: Novak, Rae, Kutcher, Holbrook, Cameron, Smith-Cameron

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Vengeance (2022, D: B.J. Novak) S: Novak, Rae, Kutcher, Holbrook, Cameron, Smith-Cameron

Old 05-23-22, 11:57 AM

Received 4,557 Likes on 3,092 Posts

In Theaters July 29

VENGEANCE, the directorial debut from writer and star B.J. Novak (“The Office”), is a darkly comic thriller about Ben Manalowitz, a journalist and podcaster who travels from New York City to West Texas to investigate the death of a girl he was hooking up with. With an ensemble cast that includes Issa Rae, Ashton Kutcher, Boyd Holbrook, J. Smith-Cameron, and Dove Cameron.
Old 07-25-22, 07:07 AM

Re: Vengeance (2022, D: B.J. Novak) S: Novak, Rae, Kutcher, Holbrook, Cameron, Smith-Cameron

This comes out this weekend. Reviews: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/vengeance_2022
Old 07-29-22, 03:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts
Re: Vengeance (2022, D: B.J. Novak) S: Novak, Rae, Kutcher, Holbrook, Cameron, Smith-Cameron

BJ Novak stars as a semi-famous New York-based writer named Ben who, in an opening scene featuring a cameo by John Mayer, discusses how it's better to have relationships with several women than to just settle down with one and expect them to fulfill all your needs. One night while in bed with his latest conquest, Ben receives a phone call from the grief stricken brother of one his recent casual flings, who reports that his sister Abilene has tragically died and that Ben needs to come to her funeral since he was her boyfriend. Unable to talk himself out of the situation, Ben is forced to fly down to Texas, where he is picked up by Abby's brother (Boyd Holbrook) and then delivers a generic eulogy at the funeral for the woman he barely knew. As they drive away together, Abby's brother confides to Ben that he believes Abby was murdered and that he and Ben need to take lethal vengeance on her killer. At first taken aback, Ben soon realizes that investigating Abby's death could be the perfect starting point for the podcast that he's desperately wanted to launch. He decides to shack up with Abby's family for a couple of weeks while he interviews people connected to Abby, but what he finds out about those around him and about himself is far from what he expected.

Vengeance is mostly watchable without ever seeming very fresh or original. It feels like we've seen this scenario many times before with the self-centered, condescending and opportunistic city guy who finds himself amused by the crude antics of the simplistic country folk (or, in this case, white trash Texas folk), before discovering the substance in them and the shallowness in himself. Think Local Hero, but on a more sitcom-y level with a rambling narrative that strains credibility at several turns and juggles different tones in a less than cohesive manner, particularly in its ending. Ashton Kutcher pops up in a pivotal supporting role and he's not bad (not great either) but he seems less like an actual human being and more like someone who exists just to blatantly spell out a lot of the movie's serious themes. There is some witty dialogue here and there, and Novak who both wrote and directed the film, makes a for a reasonably appealing if bland everyman with his deadpan Seth Meyers-ish style of humor. Unfortunately, Albert Brooks, he is not.

Old 07-30-22, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

I thought this was a pretty solid feature directorial debut by BJ Novak. Too bad it has no big stars in it so it's not going to make any money.

But, it was a pretty good mix of dark comedy, quirky murder mystery and a movie about self discovery. There are some politics in it and they do acknowledge some stereotypes from that region of the states. Novak actually did quite well balancing being a director and as the lead. Even though he's a little bland as an actor. I never really found him to be a great actor from his work on The Office. It does take some interesting turns in it. Even though I thought the big resolution felt a little contrived.

A give it between a B and B+ from me. A worthy watch. If you don't have the urge to visit the theater for a movie like this, this will probably be on Peacock soon. Normally I don't go out of my way to see movies like this in the theater, but I liked that it was something different than the usual action or visual spectacle.

Last edited by DJariya; 07-30-22 at 10:25 PM.
Old 07-31-22, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Like I speculated, no stars and it barely made the top 10 at $1.7M. Not that this movie was going to make bank since it’s a small movie. The producer of this movie should have told Novak to sit this one out and direct only. It probably would have done a little better with a known star as the lead. This will probably be on Peacock very soon.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/weeken...?ref_=bo_hm_rw
Old 07-31-22, 06:50 PM

It was Blumhouse produced, so it's not like they are taking a bath on BO $$$. It only opened in less than 1,000 theatres. The budget was likely pretty small and Blum gave Novak the freedom to do as he pleased.

Last edited by dex14; 07-31-22 at 06:56 PM.
Old 08-05-22, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

This was good, glad I gave it a chance. Didn't know Novak had this kind of behind the camera talent. Well done
Old 09-03-22, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,020 Likes on 811 Posts

I really liked it but man did Novak write himself an obnoxious ass of a character in spots. The ending didn't really work for me, but it was overall a solid flick. Recommended.
​​​​​

Last edited by RichC2; 09-03-22 at 01:33 PM.
Old 09-03-22, 09:39 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

i didn't like this at all. a lot of barking and no bite, or at least very little vengeance. slow and uninteresting. some funny parts.
Old 09-16-22, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk God

This is now up on Peacock. In case you didn't want to spend $20 to rent it.
Old 09-21-22, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

This looks really good. Glad it’s on Peacock.
Old 12-07-22, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,014 Likes on 838 Posts

I expected more of a thriller than a quirky character comedy but I liked it. Examination of current media and regional stereotypes, plus some unexpected heart. I never watched the office so don’t know Novak.
Old 12-29-22, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
Examination of current media and regional stereotypes...
These were the best parts.

I didn't feel like watching this for awhile. It's free on Peacock. Watched it and was attentive the whole time.
Old 12-29-22, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I'm glad more people are "finding" this movie. It was in my top 10 of 2023. My top 5, actually.
Old 12-29-22, 06:12 PM

Saw it a while back.

That Liam Neeson / Schindler’s List joke made me .
Old 12-29-22, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 449 Likes on 307 Posts

This leaves Peacock at the end of the month (two days).
Old 12-29-22, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

40 minutes in … I’ve laughed and I like the philosophy behind much of this (time shifting, technology, etc.) but more importantly I’m craving Whataburger.

EDIT: Six Flags … oh shit …

Last edited by Abob Teff; 12-29-22 at 11:15 PM.
Old 12-30-22, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I had no idea that’s what Six Flags meant.
Old 12-30-22, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBang
I had no idea that’s what Six Flags meant.
Like the main character, I had 5 out of 6 and then had a very similar reaction. Oh. Of course.

It is true, but the investors page removes reference to which six flags they are referring to:

https://investors.sixflags.com/inves...ompany-history
Throngs flocked to Six Flags Over Texas when the park opened in 1961. Six themed sections, modeled after the culture of the six countries whose flags flew over Texas during the state's colorful history, created a spectacular and magical setting for guests — and provided the park's name. The inventive theming afforded guests a chance to experience places and times that previously only existed in their imaginations, including cowboy culture, French and Spanish cultures, and even pirates.

As for the movie … I was really liking it, but I didn’t care for the ending. I get it, but it negated the whole movie.
Old 01-19-23, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Like the main character, I had 5 out of 6 and then had a very similar reaction. Oh. Of course.
The six flags of Texas was a question on Jeopardy yesterday ("The "Six Flags" over Texas refer to the entities that have controlled it; sixth is the USA, this was fifth"), and all 3 contestants got it wrong. Because of this movie, I knew the correct answer was the Confederacy!