Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Moonage Daydream (2022, D: Morgen) -- David Bowie "cinematic experience"

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 05-23-22, 05:31 AM

Received 3,058 Likes on 2,073 Posts

In cinemas worldwide September

Genre: Documentary
Cast: David Bowie, Ziggy Stardust, The Thin White Duke, David Jones
Directed by: Brett Morgen
Written by: Brett Morgen
Producers: Brett Morgen, Debra Eisenstadt, Bill Gerber
Executive Producers: Aisha Cohen, Tom Cyrana, Eileen D'Arcy, Kathy Rivkin Daum, Justus Haerder, Ryan Kroft, Hartwig Masuch, Heather Parry, Michael Rapino, Bill Zysblat

From Oscar-nominated filmmaker Brett Morgen, director of Cobain: Montage of Heck, and featuring never-before-seen concert footage, MOONAGE DAYDREAM is an immersive cinematic experience; an audio-visual space odyssey that not only illuminates the enigmatic legacy of David Bowie but also serves as a guide to living a fulfilling and meaningful life in the 21st Century.

MOONAGE DAYDREAM is not a documentary. It is a genre-defying cinematic experience based on one of the most iconic and global rock stars of all time, destined to be one of the defining cultural moments of the year

The film has the full support of Bowie’s estate and features many of his greatest tracks, as well as previously unseen concert footage.

Last edited by dex14; 05-23-22 at 11:42 AM.
Old 05-23-22, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 144 Likes on 109 Posts
Re: Moonage Daydream (2022, D: Morgen) -- David Bowie "cinematic experience"

Love Bowie, right up thru his final album. Will watch.
Old 05-23-22, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 163 Likes on 119 Posts

Same here on the love Bowie. Look forward to the "immersive" experience this is touting.
Old 09-12-22, 06:18 AM

Received 3,058 Likes on 2,073 Posts

Opens this weekend in IMAX theatres. It may be limited since The Woman King has IMAX too.
Old 09-12-22, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 881 Likes on 640 Posts

I would imagine it would sound awesome in IMAX. I saw Atomic Blonde in IMAX and when Cat People played, I wanted to hear his discography that way.
Old 09-12-22, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Got IMAX for Thursday.
Old 09-14-22, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Two thumbs up

Old 09-14-22, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 181 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by rexinnih View Post
Got IMAX for Thursday.
Saturday here for me. IMAX. Can't wait!
The following users liked this post:
rexinnih (09-15-22)
Old 09-15-22, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Had to miss it tonight with a last minute conflict for the kids. Will try to get it this weekend.
Old 09-16-22, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Damn kids. Inflict heavy guilt.
Old 09-18-22, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Saw it yesterday as planned. It was arty, trippy, weird and wonderful. At one point I turned to my friend as said "I can't decide if he's a madman or a genius".His response was "Both. With a little schizophrenia". What a life, a talent and a true original Bowie was. This must be seen at IMAX to get the full experience. It is sight and sound nirvana. My ears were ringing when I walked out. And still are. The only gripe I have with this film is that it's way too long. 2 hours and 15 minutes. It could have and should have been 30 minutes shorter. But still gets a 10/10 rating from me.

Last edited by Daytripper; 09-20-22 at 08:39 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Daytripper:
Decker (09-18-22), rexinnih (09-20-22)
Old 09-20-22, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Saw this also over the weekend. Can't recall but may have been my first IMAX full length movie and wow was it impressive with the sound. Hope the home release gets an Atmos mix on it.
Now for the movie. As a Bowie fan, I was able to follow along but someone new or just a passing knowledge may get lost or even a bit bored. Did feel a bit long at times but honestly thought it could have been even longer as musically, heavy on the early years (let's say Let's Dance and before) felt they didn't do justice to later music releases. Glad they also didn't just focus on the music, there was a lot on his art, acting and writing. For family life, marriage to Iman but nothing on first marriage or kids. It was the interviews that focused around art (music, painting, acting, etc.) that gave great insight into the artist but what about more away from the spotlight? The concert footage was amazing also.
That's just me picking nits but overall, a fascinating movie that really followed and reflected the artistic nature of Bowie.
Old 09-20-22, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rexinnih View Post
Saw this also over the weekend. Can't recall but may have been my first IMAX full length movie and wow was it impressive with the sound. Hope the home release gets an Atmos mix on it.
Now for the movie. As a Bowie fan, I was able to follow along but someone new or just a passing knowledge may get lost or even a bit bored. Did feel a bit long at times but honestly thought it could have been even longer as musically, heavy on the early years (let's say Let's Dance and before) felt they didn't do justice to later music releases. Glad they also didn't just focus on the music, there was a lot on his art, acting and writing. For family life, marriage to Iman but nothing on first marriage or kids. It was the interviews that focused around art (music, painting, acting, etc.) that gave great insight into the artist but what about more away from the spotlight? The concert footage was amazing also.
That's just me picking nits but overall, a fascinating movie that really followed and reflected the artistic nature of Bowie.
Yeah, it was odd there was no mention of his first wife. The film made it sound like he found love and happiness for the first time with Iman. And that was a very tender moment. Also missing, and I was not a fan, his stint with Tin Machine.