DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Moonage Daydream (2022, D: Morgen) -- David Bowie "cinematic experience" (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/655446-moonage-daydream-2022-d-morgen-david-bowie-cinematic-experience.html)

dex14 05-23-22 05:31 AM

Moonage Daydream (2022, D: Morgen) -- David Bowie "cinematic experience"

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...43d0ea0ad.jpeg

In cinemas worldwide September

Genre: Documentary
Cast: David Bowie, Ziggy Stardust, The Thin White Duke, David Jones
Directed by: Brett Morgen
Written by: Brett Morgen
Producers: Brett Morgen, Debra Eisenstadt, Bill Gerber
Executive Producers: Aisha Cohen, Tom Cyrana, Eileen D'Arcy, Kathy Rivkin Daum, Justus Haerder, Ryan Kroft, Hartwig Masuch, Heather Parry, Michael Rapino, Bill Zysblat

From Oscar-nominated filmmaker Brett Morgen, director of Cobain: Montage of Heck, and featuring never-before-seen concert footage, MOONAGE DAYDREAM is an immersive cinematic experience; an audio-visual space odyssey that not only illuminates the enigmatic legacy of David Bowie but also serves as a guide to living a fulfilling and meaningful life in the 21st Century.

MOONAGE DAYDREAM is not a documentary. It is a genre-defying cinematic experience based on one of the most iconic and global rock stars of all time, destined to be one of the defining cultural moments of the year

The film has the full support of Bowie’s estate and features many of his greatest tracks, as well as previously unseen concert footage.

Troy Stiffler 05-23-22 11:38 AM

Re: Moonage Daydream (2022, D: Morgen) -- David Bowie "cinematic experience"

Love Bowie, right up thru his final album. Will watch.

rexinnih 05-23-22 09:56 PM

Same here on the love Bowie. Look forward to the "immersive" experience this is touting.

dex14 09-12-22 06:18 AM

Opens this weekend in IMAX theatres. It may be limited since The Woman King has IMAX too.

TomOpus 09-12-22 08:51 AM

I would imagine it would sound awesome in IMAX. I saw Atomic Blonde in IMAX and when Cat People played, I wanted to hear his discography that way.

rexinnih 09-12-22 03:29 PM

Got IMAX for Thursday.

TomOpus 09-14-22 01:06 AM

Two thumbs up

Daytripper 09-14-22 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by rexinnih (Post 14162668)
Got IMAX for Thursday.

Saturday here for me. IMAX. Can't wait!

rexinnih 09-15-22 10:58 PM

Had to miss it tonight with a last minute conflict for the kids. Will try to get it this weekend.

TomOpus 09-16-22 03:02 AM

Damn kids. Inflict heavy guilt.

Daytripper 09-18-22 01:02 PM

Saw it yesterday as planned. It was arty, trippy, weird and wonderful. At one point I turned to my friend as said "I can't decide if he's a madman or a genius".His response was "Both. With a little schizophrenia". What a life, a talent and a true original Bowie was. This must be seen at IMAX to get the full experience. It is sight and sound nirvana. My ears were ringing when I walked out. And still are. The only gripe I have with this film is that it's way too long. 2 hours and 15 minutes. It could have and should have been 30 minutes shorter. But still gets a 10/10 rating from me.

rexinnih 09-20-22 02:00 PM

Saw this also over the weekend. Can't recall but may have been my first IMAX full length movie and wow was it impressive with the sound. Hope the home release gets an Atmos mix on it.
Now for the movie. As a Bowie fan, I was able to follow along but someone new or just a passing knowledge may get lost or even a bit bored. Did feel a bit long at times but honestly thought it could have been even longer as musically, heavy on the early years (let's say Let's Dance and before) felt they didn't do justice to later music releases. Glad they also didn't just focus on the music, there was a lot on his art, acting and writing. For family life, marriage to Iman but nothing on first marriage or kids. It was the interviews that focused around art (music, painting, acting, etc.) that gave great insight into the artist but what about more away from the spotlight? The concert footage was amazing also.
That's just me picking nits but overall, a fascinating movie that really followed and reflected the artistic nature of Bowie.

Daytripper 09-20-22 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by rexinnih (Post 14166141)
Saw this also over the weekend. Can't recall but may have been my first IMAX full length movie and wow was it impressive with the sound. Hope the home release gets an Atmos mix on it.
Now for the movie. As a Bowie fan, I was able to follow along but someone new or just a passing knowledge may get lost or even a bit bored. Did feel a bit long at times but honestly thought it could have been even longer as musically, heavy on the early years (let's say Let's Dance and before) felt they didn't do justice to later music releases. Glad they also didn't just focus on the music, there was a lot on his art, acting and writing. For family life, marriage to Iman but nothing on first marriage or kids. It was the interviews that focused around art (music, painting, acting, etc.) that gave great insight into the artist but what about more away from the spotlight? The concert footage was amazing also.
That's just me picking nits but overall, a fascinating movie that really followed and reflected the artistic nature of Bowie.

Yeah, it was odd there was no mention of his first wife. The film made it sound like he found love and happiness for the first time with Iman. And that was a very tender moment. Also missing, and I was not a fan, his stint with Tin Machine.

TomOpus 05-01-23 12:22 AM

If you missed the theater experience, it's on HBO Max.