Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Top Gun: Maverick (Kosinski, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Top Gun: Maverick (Kosinski, 2022)
28.21%
32.05%
25.64%
8.97%
1.28%
1.28%
2.56%
0%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Top Gun: Maverick (Kosinski, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-22, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts
Re: Top Gun: Maverick (Kosinski, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
That's exactly how I experienced so many Hollywood classics for the first time.
I mean, Casablanca is a great movie but it was even better when I saw a special Sunday matinee on one of the biggest screens in town.
Old 06-07-22, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
I mean, Casablanca is a great movie but it was even better when I saw a special Sunday matinee on one of the biggest screens in town.
I was pretty lucky. My mother took me to see it at a revival theater along with THE MALTESE FALCON when I was 14. CASABLANCA was her favorite movie. It was the first time I'd seen either one.
On the way home, we stopped to see a parade in Manhattan and who did we see marching past us but Robert F. Kennedy alongside city comptroller (and future mayor) Abe Beame. A memorable day.
Old 06-07-22, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
In this we agree. Why even bother getting into the BD/4K hobby to begin with? A "good" movie should be able to stand on its own, even on a shitty 13" CRT television and its built-in speakers.
I guess I could ask the same question of you. Why bother with BD/4k if many of the movies you like can only be really enjoyed on an IMAX screen with thundering sound? I mean, are you going to buy this movie when it gets released? Do you own an IMAX screen and equivalent quality sound? If not, then why bother since everyone's main argument about why I didn't care for the movie seems to be because it must be viewed not just in a regular theatrical way but a premium one?

Again, I don't understand the obsession of some of you to knock my theatrical experience that you have no firsthand knowledge about. Do you realize how elitist you sound? Do you ask for specs before hearing anyone's opinion on a movie? You're basically saying if someone can't afford or doesn't have access to premium theatrical options or can't afford a high-end home theater system they are not able to make judgements about certain movies. Actually, strike that. Going by your load of BS, the only people that should be qualified to speak about any movie are those who saw it in a theater with properly calibrated sound because home viewing is a compromise in itself. Or is there a list of minimum specs for discussing movies on DVDTalk that I'm not aware of?
Old 06-07-22, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
That's exactly how I experienced so many Hollywood classics for the first time.

Maybe not quite with a family like this, but you get the idea:

Yeah, so did I. And I still went to the movies to get the best video/audio I could get. When I got my first job I built up my first HT and got an LD player and said I would never go back to the shit I grew up with. It was terrible and I don't miss it, not even for nostalgia's sake. But apparently I'm an elitist now because I prefer watching films in their best possible presentation.
Old 06-07-22, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Yeah, so did I. And I still went to the movies to get the best video/audio I could get. When I got my first job I built up my first HT and got an LD player and said I would never go back to the shit I grew up with. It was terrible and I don't miss it, not even for nostalgia's sake. But apparently I'm an elitist now because I prefer watching films in their best possible presentation.
Not sure why you didn't notice all the homoeroticism in the new Top Gun when you're such a drama queen.

I should have known you wouldn't understand. An elitist isn't someone who has certain preferences; it's someone who expects everyone else to also have the same set of preferences. It's having the attitude that others are wrong if they don't share them that is elitist. Not everyone wants to go to IMAX. Guess what. That's OK. They can still judge a movie as well.

Why can't you just get over it and start talking about the damn movie again?! I thought the post where I said that we should be able to respect each others' choices was rather sensible and a clear attempt at getting this thread back on topic. I'm again not sure why you won't just let it go. I don't have IMAX or Drafthouse in my area. I soured on the traditional movie theater experience years ago so wouldn't seek them out anyway. If that means my opinion on movies is less relevant to you, block me or keep scrolling. If you want to continue to talk about why you feel a drive-in is an inadequate viewing experience or why a premium theater is worth the extra, then why don't you start a thread about it? If you want to explain to me why I shouldn't have found this movie supremely cheesy, silly and riddled with clichιs, you're in the right place.
Old 06-07-22, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think the only point being made is that maybe, in your case, the cheese and cliches were more obvious because you weren't experiencing the thrills of the dogfights to offset them.

Think of it like a rollercoaster - it could have a super-cheesy cast of cutesy characters scattered around, but if it then goes balls-to-the-wall, you're gonna let that slide. But if you've got the cheesy characters AND a more boring ride, the characters will stick out more.

Here's my specific experience - I went to Disney and did both big Avatar rides, Flight of Passage and Na'vi River Journey. I dislike Avatar as a movie so I don't care that while waiting for Flight of Passage, you are winding your way through a mock-up of a lab from the movie with a life-sized Na'vi floating in a tank. I do not care at all. But Flight of Passage itself kicked nine kinds of ass and was one of the most thrilling things I've ever done. Then the Na'vi River, with a similar aesthetic, was boring as shit - you just float through a forest. So my overall annoyance with Avatar was compounded by a boring ride, where it was ignored on an awesome one.

The following users liked this post:
Dr. DVD (06-07-22)
Old 06-07-22, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
Not sure why you didn't notice all the homoeroticism in the new Top Gun when you're such a drama queen.

I should have known you wouldn't understand. An elitist isn't someone who has certain preferences; it's someone who expects everyone else to also have the same set of preferences. It's having the attitude that others are wrong if they don't share them that is elitist. Not everyone wants to go to IMAX. Guess what. That's OK. They can still judge a movie as well.

Why can't you just get over it and start talking about the damn movie again?! I thought the post where I said that we should be able to respect each others' choices was rather sensible and a clear attempt at getting this thread back on topic. I'm again not sure why you won't just let it go. I don't have IMAX or Drafthouse in my area. I soured on the traditional movie theater experience years ago so wouldn't seek them out anyway. If that means my opinion on movies is less relevant to you, block me or keep scrolling. If you want to continue to talk about why you feel a drive-in is an inadequate viewing experience or why a premium theater is worth the extra, then why don't you start a thread about it? If you want to explain to me why I shouldn't have found this movie supremely cheesy, silly and riddled with clichιs, you're in the right place.

I think the first film is beyond homoerotic. I mentioned that before. I'm not a fan of that film. I think Part 2 scaled it down and made it about a different dynamic (father/son) than a bunch of swinging dicks like in the first film. Yes, I know, you still think part 2 is homoerotic. In the end, you're just not Top Gun 2 material. I said that was ok many posts ago and I still say it's ok.
Old 06-07-22, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Also just the inclusion of women in the program (and on the beach...which actually had a point this time rather than just the beefcake central of the original) cut any undertones way down.
Old 06-07-22, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Then the Na'vi River, with a similar aesthetic, was boring as shit - you just float through a forest. So my overall annoyance with Avatar was compounded by a boring ride, where it was ignored on an awesome one.
No more boring than It's A Small World or Jungle Cruise or any of a half dozen other similar rides. The animatronic Na'vi is pretty impressive.

But back on track. Maverick was awesome!
Dr. DVD (06-07-22)
Old 06-07-22, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts

Also just the inclusion of women in the program (and on the beach...which actually had a point this time rather than just the beefcake central of the original) cut any undertones way down.
Yeah, but her call sign was”Phoenix”. And does does a phoenix do? It rises…like an erection. Homoerotic.
tanman (06-07-22)
Old 06-07-22, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 314 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Yeah, but her call sign was”Phoenix”. And does does a phoenix do? It rises…like an erection. Homoerotic.

Old 06-07-22, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

In clckworang’s defense, there were a number of silly clichιs throughout and callbacks to the original that that could be considered retreads.

I also think that drive-in theater or not, if you go into any movie with an MST3k attitude with your friends, you’re going to automatically find fault with the movie you’re watching. That’s ok, it’s just a completely different movie watching experience.

For me, I saw it in IMAX (maybe liemax, I don’t know) and enjoyed the hell out of it. I loved everything about it. Even the callbacks to the original and the clichιd ending.

Im still ranking this as my favorite movie of the last 10 years or so!

This is exactly the kind of movie the Academy Awards needs to get back some viewers. If they were smart, they’d capitalize on this movie like a Mofo!

Last edited by GoldenJCJ; 06-07-22 at 05:06 PM.
Old 06-07-22, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This is exactly the kind of movie the Academy Awards needs to get back some viewers. If they were smart, they’d capitalize on this movie like a Mofo!
Narrator: They won't.

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
No more boring than It's A Small World or Jungle Cruise or any of a half dozen other similar rides. The animatronic Na'vi is pretty impressive.
It's a Small World was down for repair when we were there but we wouldn't have gone anyway. We only did Jungle Cruise for nostalgia purposes but it was also pretty lame.
Old 06-07-22, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think the only point being made is that maybe, in your case, the cheese and cliches were more obvious because you weren't experiencing the thrills of the dogfights to offset them.

Think of it like a rollercoaster - it could have a super-cheesy cast of cutesy characters scattered around, but if it then goes balls-to-the-wall, you're gonna let that slide. But if you've got the cheesy characters AND a more boring ride, the characters will stick out more.

Here's my specific experience - I went to Disney and did both big Avatar rides, Flight of Passage and Na'vi River Journey. I dislike Avatar as a movie so I don't care that while waiting for Flight of Passage, you are winding your way through a mock-up of a lab from the movie with a life-sized Na'vi floating in a tank. I do not care at all. But Flight of Passage itself kicked nine kinds of ass and was one of the most thrilling things I've ever done. Then the Na'vi River, with a similar aesthetic, was boring as shit - you just float through a forest. So my overall annoyance with Avatar was compounded by a boring ride, where it was ignored on an awesome one.
Can't one find the dogfights thrilling and still find faults in other aspects of the film? As I've said, I didn't think it was terrible, just difficult for me to take serious. What's interesting is that the two friends who went with me (both women, if that matters) were much harsher about the film.

For what it's worth, the full theater experience didn't help me like things like Avatar or A Force Awakens any more. I don't list more big blockbusters because I've largely avoided them in theaters, especially the last number of years. I didn't like full theaters even before COVID.

In clckworang’s defense, there were a number of silly clichιs throughout and callbacks to the original that that could be considered retreads.

I also think that drive-in theater or not, if you go into any movie with an MST3k attitude with your friends, you’re going to automatically find fault with the movie you’re watching. That’s ok, it’s just a completely different movie watching experience.
We didn't go in with that attitude. The movie led us there. It was my birthday. They asked what I wanted to do, and I picked seeing this. I was actually really looking forward to it. Go figure.
Old 06-07-22, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

One of the friends who went with me is bi. She tends to go for more butch types. She actually said yesterday the presence of Phoenix didn't help alleviate it any because "she is too macha."
Old 06-07-22, 05:34 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Did you hear the production company is getting sued?
https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2022/06/06/e...uit/index.html
Old 06-07-22, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

One of the friends who went with me is bi. She tends to go for more butch types. She actually said yesterday the presence of Phoenix didn't help alleviate it any because "she is too macha."
They “manly-ed” her up for the movie for sure but she’s a very pretty woman in general. A quick Google search shows how hot she actually is!

Shes got a little bit of a Katie Holmes look to her. I’m surprised Tom hasn’t interviewed her to be his next wife.
Old 06-07-22, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

I’m surprised Tom hasn’t interviewed her to be his next wife.
Maybe he did but she's not willing to join the cult.
Old 06-07-22, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts

Nothing in my critique complained about my theatrical experience. The actual theatrical experience was great. I never said we had a crummy drive-in. It's quite the contrary. It's everyone else that said it had to be that. I mentioned to my friend that everyone here was saying we would have liked the movie more if we had seen it on a different screen. She laughed and agreed with me that they probably don't realize how good it actually is at our drive-in.

I'm sure one's experience will likely depend on the drive-in itself and the car one brings. First, I know a lot of you have a hard-on for IMAX. That's great, but I can tell you right now that there is none in my area. So, we're talking normal sized screens.

The screen at our drive-in is no IMAX, but it's plenty big, especially if you arrive early enough that you can find a good place to park. If you're near the front or middle of the place, it's very similar proportionally to watching in a movie theater. In fact, like the first couple of rows at a theater, the first couple of rows of parking are a little too close to the screen. You'd need to really put your seat back. But I totally agree that if you were parked in the back, it would be a much poorer experience. As for the windshield, well, you clean it before you go. If you have a nice clean windshield, then you really don't think about it; it's just clear glass. We've always been very pleased with the presentation, which is why we've continued to go back.

As far as audio goes, the theater uses an FM frequency, so it comes down to how your car speakers are - unless you bring another device, which some people do, especially if they're going to sit outside. If you have a decent sound system, you can still get some rumble, but you can obviously control the audio more yourself. I guess it's more similar to watching at home where you can have it a volume you are comfortable with. I tend to keep it fairly loud, but it's nice to be able to adjust.

As far as other reasons, there are quite a few, some of which might mean more to some than others. Admission is per vehicle, so it's $10 for a double feature, both new movies though the second film has usually been out for a few weeks. That's pretty tough to beat. You're allowed to bring outside food in with you, so you can pick up dinner beforehand along with whatever snacks you want. I have trays, so it's really easy to set up and get comfortable to eat. There's a concessions stand there as well should you need one. Bring a cooler for drinks if you want. Their official rule is alcohol is prohibited, but as long as you are respectful, there's not an issue if you do bring some in. My friends and I smoke, so it's nice to be able to do that in the car while we watch a movie, similar to what we'd do at my place.

A lot of the things that I don't like about the traditional movie theater experience can also be eliminated or at least reduced. We put window screens along the passenger windows and back glass, so you're basically able to put blinders all around you. You don't have to worry about people talking next to you or people getting to the theater late. You don't have to notice the person checking their phone during the movie. You can better focus on the movie rather than outside variables. Along those lines, I'm always freezing in theater. This way, I use my AC and am able to be comfortable, and this has minimal impact on my car's range. Speaking of comfort, my car seats are plenty comfortable and very adjustable. Of course, this isn't even addressing ability to social distance. You're able to create your own bubble.

Many of us soured on the theater experience well before the pandemic for a number of reasons, some of which I already mentioned. The drive-in has actually made me excited to go to the theater again. I've actually gotten a lot more out of my screenings there than I did at the regular theater. I've been pleasantly surprised at the diversity. Plenty of blockbuster types but also ones like Licorice Pizza and Last Night in Soho I have zero complaints about the quality of the presentation, but as I said, that's really contingent on planning ahead to get there in time for a good space, something we've always done.
Fine, you didn't like it because you went to the drive in theater. You didn't like it because your taste in movies suck.

Last edited by tanman; 06-07-22 at 10:59 PM.
sye46 (06-10-22)
Old 06-07-22, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What can I add that hasn't already been said before?

Just an overall incredible movie. Way more then the sum of it's parts. Meaning that it's a pretty simple story with some real cliches but everything just..works..
So much better then the original. I love how it does manage to avoid some cliches though. Like John Hamm's character. Yeah he did throw his weight around a bit but not without reason. One example is the beach scene. A lesser movie like the original would have played that scene for laughs or to establish John Hamm as the antagonist with him yelling at Maverick for wasting time. But they avoid that trope and they just show him walking up to the beach. He calmly asks what's going on, reiterates that every minute is crucial and how little time is left, Maverick's explanation is pretty reasonable so he calmly walks off. No artificial drama. Just a great scene and a way to put in a gratuitous beach body scene showing beautiful people playing full contact sports in jeans again (who the hell does that??) but also adding to the development of the characters that the original doesn't do.

I also loved how the mission was pretty much the trench run. I mean to a T. Even has someone saying Stay on target. and added in a we'll fly low to confuse their targeting sensors.

I didn't expect the first 5 minute to exactly mirror the first film. That was so unexpectedly great. Just perfect and nostalgia at it's prime.
Old 06-07-22, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

They “manly-ed” her up for the movie for sure but she’s a very pretty woman in general. A quick Google search shows how hot she actually is!

Shes got a little bit of a Katie Holmes look to her. I’m surprised Tom hasn’t interviewed her to be his next wife.
Monica Barbaro is a fairly new actress. She's only been working in mainstream projects less than 10 years, She's going to be playing Arnold's daughter in his new Netflix action series whenever the hell that comes out.

GoldenJCJ (06-08-22)
Old 06-08-22, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Not much I can add since I enjoyed the hell out of it. The only nitpick I might have had was that scene in the snowy forest felt like it was shot on a soundstage months after any of the other footage. Just felt "off."

Saw it in Dolby Cinema which was amazing.
Old 06-08-22, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have no doubt that the flying and planes were all real. But did they really fly under a bridge in the final run? Or did they add that later? That seems way too risky. Also, total nitpick,but the SAM sites looked pretty fake whenever they showed them. Especially up close. Maybe that's because the planes were real they stuck out more?

I also loved how when the "darkstar" did it's low pass and destroyed the guard house roof that was totally unintentional. They didn't mean for it to blow the roof off like that. I wonder what it felt like on the ground. Massive kudos to Ed Harris for basically not reacting in that scene.
Old 06-08-22, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

^ And then never be seen in the movie again.
Old 06-10-22, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Even if I didn't love this film as much as some, it has been nice to see more adults going to the movies again. I was texting with my older sister yesterday, and she mentioned that she and her best friend since high school were making plans to go see it together. She said that she figured she should go with someone she watched the first movie with a bunch of times. My guess is that it has been a really long time since she went to see a movie without either of her kids. I told her to have fun reliving the 80s and that I remembered the big Top Gun poster she had on her bedroom door.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.