Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Top Gun: Maverick (Kosinski, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Top Gun: Maverick (Kosinski, 2022)
28.21%
32.05%
25.64%
8.97%
1.28%
1.28%
2.56%
0
0%
0
0%
0
0%
0
0%
What are you high?
0
0%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Top Gun: Maverick (Kosinski, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 06-02-22, 02:27 PM
  #101  
DVD Talk God
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 79,229
Received 3,711 Likes on 2,667 Posts
Re: Top Gun: Maverick (Kosinski, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

June 2nd. Still at 97% and 99% audience score with 10,000+ audience reviews. This has to be the best reviewed movie of Tom Cruise's 40 year career and it's a summer movie, not a "Prestige" film. I do see that MI: Fallout had pretty similar standings.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/top_gun_maverick

and it's already made more than the 1986 movie's entire domestic run.

https://deadline.com/2022/06/top-gun...ds-1235037381/
Old 06-03-22, 12:56 PM
  #102  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
clckworang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The toe nail of Texas
Posts: 9,556
Received 756 Likes on 492 Posts
Re: Top Gun: Maverick (Kosinski, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I went with a couple of friends last Friday to the drive-in to see this but have held off commenting. I must say that I'm really taken aback at the overwhelmingly positive reception the movie has received. To be honest, the three of us were making cracks and mocking the movie for much of the runtime. We all agreed it was better than the original and very 80s, but none of us was very impressed. In fact, I found myself sort of apologizing at the end because it was my idea to go to the movie since it was my birthday. Also, I go to the drive-in quite often, and it was much less crowded than it usually is on the opening showing of a blockbuster there.

So, I was hanging out yesterday with one of those friends who went with me to the movie. She doesn't follow box office or anything, and I made some crack about how big the movie is. She thought I was joking. I read her the money it brought in, and she was shocked. She then looked it up on Rotten Tomatoes and was really shocked when she saw the scores there. She asked if we were all watching the same movie or that maybe we were making fun of it too much to see it was actually great.

Now, I didn't think the movie was terrible, but it all felt really thin and silly, formulaic to the point there was very little suspense. People are talking like this is the second coming of Hollywood, a major achievement, and I just keep shrugging. I have another friend who wants to see it. I might actually go again because I'm wondering if I really missed something. While I think the original has aged terribly, I really wanted to like this one. In fact, I almost expected to, so I sort of feel like I'm missing out as everyone continues to gush about it. I wish I could, too.
Old 06-03-22, 01:13 PM
  #103  
Moderator
 
dex14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 45,291
Likes: 0
Received 4,682 Likes on 3,170 Posts
Re: Top Gun: Maverick (Kosinski, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

^^^ Go see it, but not at a drive in.
The following 4 users liked this post by dex14:
DJariya (06-03-22), Michael Corvin (06-05-22), tanman (06-07-22), Why So Blu? (06-03-22)
Old 06-03-22, 01:14 PM
  #104  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 45,364
Received 1,035 Likes on 819 Posts
Re: Top Gun: Maverick (Kosinski, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

It's a movie you either get fully engaged in or simply see it for the cliches that it lays on the table. Similar, IMHO, to older Pixar movies which did little interesting with plot but people tended to find engaging in their own right.

Really strong bass helped this movie a lot. And like any movie, if you can't get into it, you're probably gonna be bored.

​​​​
​​​​
Old 06-03-22, 01:14 PM
  #105  
Moderator
 
story's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Hope.
Posts: 14,068
Received 1,987 Likes on 1,171 Posts
Re: Top Gun: Maverick (Kosinski, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I haven't seen it yet and I'm not discounting your experience, yet one must admit that taking in a movie at the drive-in is a very different experience, one that lends itself to chatter, looking at one's watch, and many other distractions. I don't know that I've ever been "immersed" while at the drive-in. Many people here are talking about the awesomeness that is being in the cockpit with the pilots. I'm not sure if one can get that at the drive-in.
The following users liked this post:
tanman (06-07-22)
Old 06-03-22, 01:19 PM
  #106  
DVD Talk God
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 79,229
Received 3,711 Likes on 2,667 Posts
Re: Top Gun: Maverick (Kosinski, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

IMAX, 4DX, RPX, Dolby Cinema....see it in one of those formats.
Old 06-03-22, 01:54 PM
  #107  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 43,603
Received 1,716 Likes on 1,069 Posts
Re: Top Gun: Maverick (Kosinski, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I've seen movies at the drive-in that I've seen before, but I saw Godzilla King of the Monsters for the first time there. Our drive-in is fine and that movie is not great under any circumstances, but watching it at home was a LOT better. I can't imagine seeing this at a drive-in with piped in speaker music and full-blown conversations happening during it.
Old 06-03-22, 01:57 PM
  #108  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
clckworang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The toe nail of Texas
Posts: 9,556
Received 756 Likes on 492 Posts
Re: Top Gun: Maverick (Kosinski, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

[QUOTE=DJariya;14113299]IMAX, 4DX, RPX, Dolby Cinema....see it in one of
Originally Posted by dex14
^^^ Go see it, but not at a drive in.
Originally Posted by DJariya
IMAX, 4DX, RPX, Dolby Cinema....see it in one of those formats.
If a movie requires those formats to be enjoyed, it must not be that good of a movie on its own.

We didn't experience this problem when we went to the drive-in and saw the new Spiderman, Licorice Pizza, Last Night in Soho, West Side Story, Batman, Dune, etc. Any time I hear someone say it must be seen on the biggest screen possible, part of me wonders if that is to compensate for other things. But we were actually pretty close to the screen, so it's not like we were looking at some tiny postage stamp.

Originally Posted by story
I haven't seen it yet and I'm not discounting your experience, yet one must admit that taking in a movie at the drive-in is a very different experience, one that lends itself to chatter, looking at one's watch, and many other distractions. I don't know that I've ever been "immersed" while at the drive-in. Many people here are talking about the awesomeness that is being in the cockpit with the pilots. I'm not sure if one can get that at the drive-in.
And while I won't discount your experiences, I've never had that problem at the drive-in. I often find being at a theater far more distracting. I've always been able to get into a movie at the drive-in, and chatter in my car is typically very minimal. We just found it all very silly and the blatant homoeroticism hysterical. It couldn't have been an accident, especially the way he was used, that a close synonym for rooster is also another term for male genitalia, could it?

Originally Posted by RichC2
Really strong bass helped this movie a lot. And like any movie, if you can't get into it, you're probably gonna be bored.​​​​
​​​​
​​​​​​​
My car has fairly good bass. The audio quality wasn't the problem; it was the dialogue quality. We weren't bored; we just didn't think it was all that good.
Old 06-03-22, 01:59 PM
  #109  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
clckworang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The toe nail of Texas
Posts: 9,556
Received 756 Likes on 492 Posts
Re: Top Gun: Maverick (Kosinski, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Draven
I've seen movies at the drive-in that I've seen before, but I saw Godzilla King of the Monsters for the first time there. Our drive-in is fine and that movie is not great under any circumstances, but watching it at home was a LOT better. I can't imagine seeing this at a drive-in with piped in speaker music and full-blown conversations happening during it.
Piped in speaker music? What does your drive-in use for audio?

There weren't full blown conversations happening, more like MST3K chatter at what we were watching.
Old 06-03-22, 01:59 PM
  #110  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 43,603
Received 1,716 Likes on 1,069 Posts
Re: Top Gun: Maverick (Kosinski, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by clckworang
And while I won't discount your experiences, I've never had that problem at the drive-in. I often find being at a theater far more distracting. I've always been able to get into a movie at the drive-in, and chatter in my car is typically very minimal. We just found it all very silly and the blatant homoeroticism hysterical. It couldn't have been an accident, especially the way he was used, that a close synonym for rooster is also another term for male genitalia, could it?
...what? I'm 45 and fairly hip to the lingo and I've never heard that. It was just another farm-type bird name, same as his father. I see some 20 year old entries on Urban Dictionary on it, so I don't think it's in common usage.

I think you were trying to see some things that weren't actually there.

Last edited by Draven; 06-03-22 at 02:12 PM.
Old 06-03-22, 02:00 PM
  #111  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 38,263
Received 1,208 Likes on 928 Posts
Re: Top Gun: Maverick (Kosinski, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by clckworang
I went with a couple of friends last Friday to the drive-in to see this but have held off commenting. I must say that I'm really taken aback at the overwhelmingly positive reception the movie has received. To be honest, the three of us were making cracks and mocking the movie for much of the runtime. We all agreed it was better than the original and very 80s, but none of us was very impressed. In fact, I found myself sort of apologizing at the end because it was my idea to go to the movie since it was my birthday. Also, I go to the drive-in quite often, and it was much less crowded than it usually is on the opening showing of a blockbuster there.

So, I was hanging out yesterday with one of those friends who went with me to the movie. She doesn't follow box office or anything, and I made some crack about how big the movie is. She thought I was joking. I read her the money it brought in, and she was shocked. She then looked it up on Rotten Tomatoes and was really shocked when she saw the scores there. She asked if we were all watching the same movie or that maybe we were making fun of it too much to see it was actually great.

Now, I didn't think the movie was terrible, but it all felt really thin and silly, formulaic to the point there was very little suspense. People are talking like this is the second coming of Hollywood, a major achievement, and I just keep shrugging. I have another friend who wants to see it. I might actually go again because I'm wondering if I really missed something. While I think the original has aged terribly, I really wanted to like this one. In fact, I almost expected to, so I sort of feel like I'm missing out as everyone continues to gush about it. I wish I could, too.

Yeah, cuz you saw it at a fucking drive-in.

Old 06-03-22, 02:01 PM
  #112  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
clckworang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The toe nail of Texas
Posts: 9,556
Received 756 Likes on 492 Posts
Re: Top Gun: Maverick (Kosinski, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

[QUOTE=Draven;14113321]
Originally Posted by clckworang

...what? I'm 45 and fairly hip to the lingo and I've never heard that. It was just another farm-type bird name, same as his father.
You've never heard that another name for a rooster is cock?

Edit to add: you must have never watched Deadwood.
Old 06-03-22, 02:02 PM
  #113  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
clckworang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The toe nail of Texas
Posts: 9,556
Received 756 Likes on 492 Posts
Re: Top Gun: Maverick (Kosinski, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Yeah, cuz you saw it at a fucking drive-in.
So dialogue and story get better at a different venue?
Old 06-03-22, 02:06 PM
  #114  
DVD Talk God
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 79,229
Received 3,711 Likes on 2,667 Posts
Re: Top Gun: Maverick (Kosinski, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Top Gun Maverick is a great movie on it's own IMO. But, IMO the premium format added to the experience. My view is that if you're going to see a blockbuster, you should make it more than just a movie and make it an "experience" But, that's just my view. I've seen plenty of great movies and even blockbusters where I didn't pay for a premium format.

If your drive-in is your "go to" theater and is most convenient for you, then cool beans. Not trying to change or pressure you to change your routine for you to enjoy entertainment.


Old 06-03-22, 02:07 PM
  #115  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 38,263
Received 1,208 Likes on 928 Posts
Re: Top Gun: Maverick (Kosinski, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by clckworang
So dialogue and story get better at a different venue?
Escapist entertainment does. This is Top Gun, not Citizen Kane. You go to the drive-in to watch dialogue and story driven films? You're doing it wrong, mate.
Old 06-03-22, 02:12 PM
  #116  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 43,603
Received 1,716 Likes on 1,069 Posts
Re: Top Gun: Maverick (Kosinski, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by clckworang

You've never heard that another name for a rooster is cock?

Edit to add: you must have never watched Deadwood.
Just did a full watch-through a few months ago.
Old 06-03-22, 02:14 PM
  #117  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
clckworang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The toe nail of Texas
Posts: 9,556
Received 756 Likes on 492 Posts
Re: Top Gun: Maverick (Kosinski, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Escapist entertainment does. This is Top Gun, not Citizen Kane. You go to the drive-in to watch dialogue and story driven films? You're doing it wrong, mate.
I go to the movies to hopefully see a good movie. As I said previously, the drive-in didn't impact my enjoyment of many other escapist movies.

And that's why I hesitated from even posting my feelings about the movie. It felt like an earnest Team America movie, and everyone is so enthusiastic about it. I knew a contrary opinion would get attacked. I also knew that those same people would use a venue as an excuse. If it's good entertainment, it shouldn't matter the screen size. If it requires it to be enjoyed, then it's a crutch.
Old 06-03-22, 02:16 PM
  #118  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
clckworang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The toe nail of Texas
Posts: 9,556
Received 756 Likes on 492 Posts
Re: Top Gun: Maverick (Kosinski, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Draven
Just did a full watch-through a few months ago.
Then I guess you learned something new today. Cock is a synonym for rooster and penis, and both usages are still in wide use.
Old 06-03-22, 02:19 PM
  #119  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 38,263
Received 1,208 Likes on 928 Posts
Re: Top Gun: Maverick (Kosinski, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by clckworang
I go to the movies to hopefully see a good movie. As I said previously, the drive-in didn't impact my enjoyment of many other escapist movies.

And that's why I hesitated from even posting my feelings about the movie. It felt like an earnest Team America movie, and everyone is so enthusiastic about it. I knew a contrary opinion would get attacked. I also knew that those same people would use a venue as an excuse. If it's good entertainment, it shouldn't matter the screen size. If it requires it to be enjoyed, then it's a crutch.

No one is attacking you. Next time just go to the drive-in by yourself if that's your thing, because I know if I went with some annoying as friends that spent the entirety of the film cracking jokes and whatnot, I'd be annoyed and would probably not enjoy myself.
Old 06-03-22, 02:29 PM
  #120  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
clckworang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The toe nail of Texas
Posts: 9,556
Received 756 Likes on 492 Posts
Re: Top Gun: Maverick (Kosinski, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
No one is attacking you. Next time just go to the drive-in by yourself if that's your thing, because I know if I went with some annoying as friends that spent the entirety of the film cracking jokes and whatnot, I'd be annoyed and would probably not enjoy myself.
No one is attacking me; they're just discounting my opinion because I didn't see it on a screen that they deem worthy to pass judgment.

And you're still not understanding. We didn't talk through the whole thing. I didn't go with annoying friends. I took my friends to a movie that we tried to take earnestly and found too silly to do so. If you've never been to a movie that you've felt like that about, then I guess those extra big screens really do the job for you.
Old 06-03-22, 02:40 PM
  #121  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 45,364
Received 1,035 Likes on 819 Posts
Re: Top Gun: Maverick (Kosinski, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by clckworang
My car has fairly good bass. The audio quality wasn't the problem; it was the dialogue quality. We weren't bored; we just didn't think it was all that good.
Ah well that's good at least. I do agree that a good bit of it was silly, but I actually enjoyed that aspect a decent bit.

I'm also a little surprised by the overwhelming praise, but did enjoy it.

Last edited by RichC2; 06-03-22 at 02:46 PM.
Old 06-03-22, 03:29 PM
  #122  
Moderator
 
story's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Hope.
Posts: 14,068
Received 1,987 Likes on 1,171 Posts
Re: Top Gun: Maverick (Kosinski, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by clckworang
So dialogue and story get better at a different venue?
I don't know about dialogue but I'm much better in-person than here, absolutely.
Old 06-03-22, 03:29 PM
  #123  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 43,603
Received 1,716 Likes on 1,069 Posts
Re: Top Gun: Maverick (Kosinski, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by clckworang
Then I guess you learned something new today. Cock is a synonym for rooster and penis, and both usages are still in wide use.
I think “wide use” is a bit much but maybe you roll in different circles. Certainly doesn’t come up in daily conversation for me.

I love the drive-in and I also admit that it’s not the best place to see a brand-new movie.
Old 06-03-22, 04:01 PM
  #124  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 45,364
Received 1,035 Likes on 819 Posts
Re: Top Gun: Maverick (Kosinski, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Some are seeing this weekend at $68m (-46%), which would put it at $273.6m which is well above Tom Cruise's previous domestic high (War of the World @ $234m).

Even the lower end estimates at $50m put it above his previous record.
Old 06-03-22, 05:13 PM
  #125  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
clckworang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The toe nail of Texas
Posts: 9,556
Received 756 Likes on 492 Posts
Re: Top Gun: Maverick (Kosinski, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Draven
I think “wide use” is a bit much but maybe you roll in different circles. Certainly doesn’t come up in daily conversation for me.

I love the drive-in and I also admit that it’s not the best place to see a brand-new movie.
Which usage isn't in wide use? Just because a word doesn't come up in daily conversation doesn't mean it's still not widely used. I've never heard anyone refer to rooster fighting. It has always been cock fighting. There's a well known film directed by Monte Hellman called Cockfighter. What did you think he was fighting? There's also the expression cock of the walk. These things aren't obscure.



And if you're referring to the other usage, then I'd again point you to Deadwood and many, many other places.

And it sounds like you should go to a better drive-in or at least get better audio in your car.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.