Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Top Gun: Maverick (Kosinski, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Top Gun: Maverick (Kosinski, 2022)
28.21%
32.05%
25.64%
8.97%
1.28%
1.28%
2.56%
0
0%
0
0%
0
0%
0
0%
What are you high?
0
0%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Top Gun: Maverick (Kosinski, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 01-13-23, 07:18 PM
  #376  
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY
Thread Starter
 
OldBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Are any of us really anywhere?
Posts: 49,697
Received 965 Likes on 805 Posts
Re: Top Gun: Maverick (Kosinski, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Watching for fifth time. Still thrilling, still get emotional with genuine welling up at certain parts. The keeping of Harold Faltermeyer score, everything so damn rewatchable. With updates, obviously.

I’ve never, ever watched a movie this many times in such a short span of time. I don’t know what it is. And I have quite the backlog, but when nothing else to concentrate on, this fits the bill ten fold.
Old 02-14-23, 12:30 PM
  #377  
Moderator
 
dex14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 45,373
Likes: 0
Received 4,694 Likes on 3,180 Posts
Re: Top Gun: Maverick (Kosinski, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 02-14-23, 12:33 PM
  #378  
DVD Talk Legend
 
ViewAskewbian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Posts: 16,055
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts
Re: Top Gun: Maverick (Kosinski, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Maybe, but Spider-Man had a part to play in this too.
The following users liked this post:
tanman (02-14-23)
Old 02-14-23, 11:12 PM
  #379  
DVD Talk Legend
 
tanman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Gator Nation
Posts: 10,028
Received 991 Likes on 692 Posts
Re: Top Gun: Maverick (Kosinski, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
Maybe, but Spider-Man had a part to play in this too.
No no no. It's Marvel so it's not real cinema so it doesn't count. Neither does Dr. Strange or Avatar 2 or Black Panther or The Batman or Jurassic World. Nope. Only the movie that I like counts.

But I'm being harsh. It was just a comment between to people in a semi private conversation.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (02-15-23)
Old 02-15-23, 07:17 AM
  #380  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
rocket1312's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 6,314
Likes: 0
Received 1,023 Likes on 719 Posts
Re: Top Gun: Maverick (Kosinski, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by tanman
No no no. It's Marvel so it's not real cinema so it doesn't count. Neither does Dr. Strange or Avatar 2 or Black Panther or The Batman or Jurassic World. Nope. Only the movie that I like counts.

But I'm being harsh. It was just a comment between to people in a semi private conversation.
There was a very specific narrative surrounding Maverick. The studio tried multiple times during the pandemic to release it to streaming. Cruise held his ground and refused to let that happen. He bet on himself and the studio ended up winning.

Maverick also represents a slightly different kind of movie than those others you mention. Yes it is a big budget franchise sequel, but it's much more of a traditional 4 quadrant blockbuster. It reached a portion of the audience that doesn't go see Spider-Man and probably doesn't go to the theater much at all these days. That's why Maverick was so important.
The following 4 users liked this post by rocket1312:
DJariya (02-15-23), Michael Corvin (02-17-23), Throwing Copper (02-15-23), Why So Blu? (02-15-23)
Old 02-15-23, 10:27 AM
  #381  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,159
Received 130 Likes on 110 Posts
Re: Top Gun: Maverick (Kosinski, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by rocket1312

Maverick also represents a slightly different kind of movie than those others you mention. Yes it is a big budget franchise sequel, but it's much more of a traditional 4 quadrant blockbuster. It reached a portion of the audience that doesn't go see Spider-Man and probably doesn't go to the theater much at all these days. That's why Maverick was so important.
Yep. This right here.
Old 02-15-23, 10:29 PM
  #382  
DVD Talk Legend
 
tanman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Gator Nation
Posts: 10,028
Received 991 Likes on 692 Posts
Re: Top Gun: Maverick (Kosinski, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by rocket1312
There was a very specific narrative surrounding Maverick. The studio tried multiple times during the pandemic to release it to streaming. Cruise held his ground and refused to let that happen. He bet on himself and the studio ended up winning.

Maverick also represents a slightly different kind of movie than those others you mention. Yes it is a big budget franchise sequel, but it's much more of a traditional 4 quadrant blockbuster. It reached a portion of the audience that doesn't go see Spider-Man and probably doesn't go to the theater much at all these days. That's why Maverick was so important.

Ah...yes you're absolutely right. I also appreciate how they didn't capitulate to Chinese pressure. It did feel like something special beyond just the blockbuster numbers. Almost like a throwback movie in a way.
Old 03-24-23, 09:31 AM
  #383  
DVD Talk Hero
 
TomOpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 40,177
Received 1,310 Likes on 954 Posts
Re: Top Gun: Maverick (Kosinski, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

For the five people who haven't seen this or don't have Paramount+, this is on Prime.
Old 03-24-23, 03:01 PM
  #384  
DVD Talk Hero
 
slop101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 43,941
Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts
Re: Top Gun: Maverick (Kosinski, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Yeah, my in-laws went to see Maverick in the theaters, and they haven't been to the theaters in well over a decade.
Old 03-24-23, 04:19 PM
  #385  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2023
Location: Washington D.C.
Posts: 128
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Re: Top Gun: Maverick (Kosinski, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Yes, older people went out and saw this one. I am still somewhat perplexed by this narrative that this film “saved movie theaters”. Spider-Man: No Way Home was released more towards the HEIGHT of the “pandemic”. There were still mask mandates in places, some theater chains were still not allowing the purchase of reserved seats next to one another, etc. And SM:NWH still made more money than Top Gun. 🤔
Old 03-24-23, 08:48 PM
  #386  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
rocket1312's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 6,314
Likes: 0
Received 1,023 Likes on 719 Posts
Re: Top Gun: Maverick (Kosinski, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by CristonCole
Yes, older people went out and saw this one. I am still somewhat perplexed by this narrative that this film “saved movie theaters”. Spider-Man: No Way Home was released more towards the HEIGHT of the “pandemic”. There were still mask mandates in places, some theater chains were still not allowing the purchase of reserved seats next to one another, etc. And SM:NWH still made more money than Top Gun. 🤔
Because no one ever questioned whether or not teenagers and the nerd brigade would go to the theater and support Spider-Man. That movie was never going to play anywhere other than a theater. To paraphrase Thanos, "it was inevitable."

Paramount, on the other hand, tried to send Maverick to streaming. They never expected that the movie would convince a demographic that stopped going to the movies even before the pandemic, to go to a theater. It's evidence that Hollywood can still successfully profit off of that segment of the audience.

While Spider-Man was probably just what struggling theaters needed in that moment coming out of the pandemic, Maverick may ultimately have a larger impact on the industry going forward. Or maybe it was just Spielberg saying something nice to Tom Cruise in a candid moment at an awards show.
Old 03-25-23, 02:38 AM
  #387  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2023
Location: Washington D.C.
Posts: 128
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Re: Top Gun: Maverick (Kosinski, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by rocket1312
Because no one ever questioned whether or not teenagers and the nerd brigade would go to the theater and support Spider-Man. That movie was never going to play anywhere other than a theater. To paraphrase Thanos, "it was inevitable."

Paramount, on the other hand, tried to send Maverick to streaming. They never expected that the movie would convince a demographic that stopped going to the movies even before the pandemic, to go to a theater. It's evidence that Hollywood can still successfully profit off of that segment of the audience.

While Spider-Man was probably just what struggling theaters needed in that moment coming out of the pandemic, Maverick may ultimately have a larger impact on the industry going forward. Or maybe it was just Spielberg saying something nice to Tom Cruise in a candid moment at an awards show.

Stevie was just saying something nice about Tom because they’re about to start a new movie together.
Old 04-22-23, 09:59 PM
  #388  
Dan
DVD Talk Hero
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: In the straps of boots
Posts: 28,091
Received 1,213 Likes on 860 Posts
Re: Top Gun: Maverick (Kosinski, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Damn good movie!
Hard to believe there’s been absolutely zero hype for this. Just came and went without making any kind of notable splash. Maybe it’ll find its true audience in streaming platforms or something. Oh well.
Old 04-22-23, 11:58 PM
  #389  
Moderator
 
story's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Hope.
Posts: 14,105
Received 2,011 Likes on 1,182 Posts
Re: Top Gun: Maverick (Kosinski, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Dan
Damn good movie!
Hard to believe there’s been absolutely zero hype for this. Just came and went without making any kind of notable splash. Maybe it’ll find its true audience in streaming platforms or something. Oh well.
Sequels, man. Whattaya gonna do?
The following users liked this post:
Dan (04-23-23)
Old 05-08-23, 06:55 PM
  #390  
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY
Thread Starter
 
OldBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Are any of us really anywhere?
Posts: 49,697
Received 965 Likes on 805 Posts
Re: Top Gun: Maverick (Kosinski, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Watching for sixth time. It just never gets old and just so much fun.
Old 05-27-23, 08:28 AM
  #391  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 2,393
Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Re: Top Gun: Maverick (Kosinski, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Decided to kick off Memorial Day weekend by watching this again. It made me think there should have been another Top Gun sequel shortly after the first showing us Maverick and Iceman as friends. Would've been an interesting dynamic to watch the two best pilots working together on a mission with their mismatched personalities. I feel like the ending to the first TG hinted that we might see something like that next, but alas we had to wait 36 years. Strange we had to wait so long for a sequel to the highest grossing movie of 1986, but it was well worth the wait!
Old 05-27-23, 09:55 AM
  #392  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Bluelitespecial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 10,741
Received 440 Likes on 320 Posts
Re: Top Gun: Maverick (Kosinski, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I'm watching Top Gun right now and will watch Top Gun Maverick this weekend. It will be a part of annual Memorial Day viewing going forward.
Old 05-28-23, 06:50 PM
  #393  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,021
Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts
Re: Top Gun: Maverick (Kosinski, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Watching for sixth time. It just never gets old and just so much fun.
I think it was a solid movie. I enjoyed it. It was ridiculously cliche and predictable. I couldn't imagine watching it a 2nd time no less 6. Just see nothing really to see again in this. Obviously I am in the minority but I think that the popularity is more it being the first sort of old school non superhero "summer" movie in quite a long time. I enjoyed it think it is a good flick, but not for me at least the blockbuster megamovie people make it out to be.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (06-02-23)
Old 05-29-23, 11:33 PM
  #394  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 5,573
Received 371 Likes on 283 Posts
Re: Top Gun: Maverick (Kosinski, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Finally watched this. Great film. Interesting to recreate the intro, but I didn’t mind seeing it again.

The F14 Tomcat scenes were my favorite. I also loved how they covered the mission objectives over and over (instead of the typical movie montage). By the time the real mission came about, I felt like I was flying along with them and had to remember each part of the objectives.

The following 2 users liked this post by MLBFan24:
mikehunt (06-02-23), OldBoy (05-30-23)
Old 06-02-23, 01:17 PM
  #395  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Posts: 29,835
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Top Gun: Maverick (Kosinski, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

just saw it. solid movie, did kind of do an eye roll at the star wars plan and some of almost the shot for shot copying of Top Gun, but it was fun serious enough, and not completely unbeleivable
plus that P51 is Tom's actual plane

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.