Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Untitled Ocean's Eleven film (D: Roach) S: Margot Robbie, Ryan Gosling

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-22, 01:11 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Warner Bros. is betting on more Ocean’s Eleven movies, this time sliding studio favorite Margot Robbie into the deck.

Robbie will star and produce a new Ocean’s movie that will be helmed by Jay Roach, who directed the actress to a best supporting actress Oscar nomination with 2019’s drama, Bombshell.

Robbie is producing with Tom Ackerley, her partner at production banner LuckyChap. Roach is also producing, along with his executive at shingle Everyman Pictures, Michelle Graham.

Details on the script by Carrie Solomon are being kept in the vault but it is known to be an original Ocean’s Eleven that is set in Europe in the 1960s.

Executive producing are Gary Ross, Olivia Milch and Lucky Chap’s Josey McNamara. Village Roadshow is also involved in an exec producer capacity and may also co-finance.

The project is in active development and is not greenlit, insiders say, but the goal is to begin production spring 2023.

Warners’ Ocean’s franchise was launched in 2001 when Steven Soderbergh directed a fast-talking, stylish A-list heist comedy featuring George Clooney, Brad Pitt, Julia Roberts, Matt Damon, and others. What began as a riff and loose remake of the 1960 Rat Pack movie turned into an unexpected franchise. After the first movie made over $450 million worldwide theatrically, Soderbergh and company churned out two more star-packed installments, in 2004 and 2007, respectively. The franchise returned in 2018 with Ocean’s 8, a female-centric spin-off led by Sandra Bullock.

The Ocean’s title has evolved into a recognizable brand at this stage, one that signifies frothy ensemble heist comedies and the new project will allow the studio to stack the deck with big names and colorful locales.

Roach is known for directing the spiffy joke fest that are the Austin Powers movies as well as the Meet the Parents series of comedies. He recently shot all eight episodes of the first season of Apple TV’s upcoming comedy High Desert, which stars Patricia Arquette and Matt Dillon.

Robbie knows a thing or two about heists, having stolen scenes — if not sometimes the whole show — as fan-favorite character Harley Quinn in three films for Warners, most recently in 2021’s The Suicide Squad. She is currently shooting Barbie for the studio, portraying the iconic toy in a feature she is also producing.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...l-1235150432/?
Old 05-19-22, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts
re: Untitled Ocean's Eleven film (D: Roach) S: Margot Robbie, Ryan Gosling

I’m not a big fan of the series but I do like heist movies and the premise of a stand-alone Ocean’s Eleven set in the 60’s sounds fantastic.
Old 05-19-22, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Could be cool. But you don't announce the lead to an Ocean's film, you announce an ensemble.
That said, I bet they assemble a pretty cool cast for this one.
Old 05-19-22, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Decker
Could be cool. But you don't announce the lead to an Ocean's film, you announce an ensemble.
That said, I bet they assemble a pretty cool cast for this one.
It's the same thing that was done when Ocean's 8 was announced to be in the works with Sandra Bullock. No other cast was announced because it was in development, just like this one. The article says it hasn't even been officially greenlit.

Old 05-19-22, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
the premise of a stand-alone Ocean’s Eleven set in the 60’s sounds fantastic.
Agreed.
Old 05-19-22, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

This reminds me I need to still see Ocean's 8. Thankfully all the Ocean's movies are on HBO Max.
Old 05-19-22, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

I read on another forum that speculation that this being set in the 1960s and Clooney and Bullock being born in 1961 and 1964 respectively, this could be a prequel and Robbie is playing Danny and Debbie's mom.
Old 05-20-22, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

That is actually a great idea...
Old 05-20-22, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts

I love the "Ocean" films. I love the OG and the remake/sequels/chick spin off so I'm in.
Old 08-19-22, 05:59 AM

Ryan Gosling, for instance, has agreed to star with Margot Robbie in the prequel to the Ocean’s movies, one of Warners’ biggest franchises outside of DC and Harry Potter. If deals close, the co-stars of next summer’s Barbie, also at Warners, will reunite with filmmaker Jay Roach, with whom De Luca worked with way back on Austin Powers at New Line.
https://puck.news/zaslavs-hamptons-h...anity-project/
The following 2 users liked this post by dex14:
Giantrobo (08-19-22), TheMovieman (08-19-22)
Old 08-19-22, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Now I'm interested! Still it needs to be a buddy comedy where the actors don't take themselves too seriously. Fingers crossed on this one.
Old 08-19-22, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber
Now I'm interested! Still it needs to be a buddy comedy where the actors don't take themselves too seriously. Fingers crossed on this one.
This is what I loved about the "original" trilogy that seemed to be missing a bit from 8. Hopefully they can recapture the fun of 11.
Old 06-08-23, 04:54 PM

Re: Untitled Ocean's Eleven film (D: Roach) S: Margot Robbie, Ryan Gosling

This starts filming at the end of the month apparently: https://productionlist.com/production/oceans-prequel/

More details:
Further details on the new Ocean’s Eleven prequel have been hard to come by since last year’s announcement, but Roach himself just offered an update in which he filled in a lot of information about the movie’s setting and approach. Revealing to AP that the movie is set in Monte Carlo in 1962, Roach went on to talk at some length about his plans for the story (via Lindsey Bahr/Twitter), bringing up some of his classic film inspirations while teasing a big shift in tone from previous Ocean’s movies. Check out what the director had to say in the space below:

The Monaco Grand Prix is the backdrop and there’s a big famous shipping magnate who has a yacht. It’s not inexpensive. And I wanted it to be old-fashioned. Margot brought it to me as a kind of old-fashioned epic love story slash adventure disguised as a heist. It is a heist movie still, but it’s very much a love story. And we were both inspired by Hitchcock. To Catch a Thief but also Notorious. It just wants to be a big, big, you know, cinematic spectacle. We didn’t quite sync up yet on what the right budget for it is.

Originally there were some questions about whether it would be weird to have (Margo Robbie and Ryan Gosling) together again after Barbie. But I think there’s just some pairings you want to see over and over again. It’s such a powerful, powerful duo, you know? And it’s the suspense of will they come together; will they trust each other enough to team up? That’s romantic. That’s why Notorious is one of the most romantic movies I’ve ever seen, because they don’t trust each other, and they need to trust each other. That’s the heart of what I want to do.
https://screenrant.com/oceans-11-pre...ails-director/
Old 06-08-23, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts

^ That’s a long, rambling blurb.

I like the early 60s setting. That’ll be cool and could have similarities to the Clooney movie and the Rat Pack movie…

…Just as long as they don’t make Margot Robbie Danny Ocean’s mom or some shit.
Old 06-09-23, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

As a fan of the (what are we calling them? Can't call them the originals.) Clooney films, and lesser so a fan of the Bullock film, I am down for this. But trying to tie these to the Oceans movies seems pointless. Any connection is going to be tenuous at best, and really, what is the point in tying them together? Is the "Oceans" moniker really going to bring in the crowds? Make a good movie in the vein of Notorious and To Catch a Thief, and the people will show up.
Old 12-03-23, 02:23 PM

UPDATED A couple of months ago it was revealed that “Austin Powers” director Jay Roach was going to make an “Ocean’s 11” prequel. Margot Robbie and Ryan Gosling — Barbie and Ken — would reunite for the heist movie.

Now I can tell you exclusively that the title of the planned film is “Oceans.” That’s because Gosling and Robbie will play the parents of Danny Ocean, the character played by George Clooney in Ocean’s 11, 12, and 13.

The Oceans (I don’t know their first names) will teach son Danny and daughter Debbie (Sandra Bullock) how to steal from the rich in this new caper. The Oceans will have a team to help them, of course.

The new movie will be set in the 60s, which is ironic since the original “Ocean’s 11” with Frank Sinatra, the Rat Pack, et al was released in 1960.

My sources say “Oceans” will set up the more modern “Ocean’s 11” trilogy, not to mention “Ocean’s 8” which starred Bullock and a team of women. (There’s still no “Ocean’s 9,” but who knows!) No word on who’s going to write the new film, but David Levien and Brian Koppelman would be excellent candidates after doing such a good job with “Ocean’s 13.”
https://www.showbiz411.com/2023/12/0...-austin-powers
Old 12-03-23, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

The new movie will be set in the 60s, which is ironic since the original “Ocean’s 11” with Frank Sinatra, the Rat Pack, et al was released in 1960.
That isn't irony, it's intentional.
The following users liked this post:
majorjoe23 (12-03-23)
Old 12-03-23, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 592 Posts

Hollywood... lather, rinse, repeat/reboot/remake/reimagine