Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Bros (2022, P: Apatow / D: Stoller) - S: Billy Eichner

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Bros (2022, P: Apatow / D: Stoller) - S: Billy Eichner

Old 10-03-22, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts
Re: Bros (2022, P: Apatow / D: Stoller) - S: Billy Eichner

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial View Post
How could the makers expect this movie to appeal to anyone outside the single digit percentage of the gay male population that would go see it? I'm sorry but I'm not going to watch it.
You wore pink to a wedding. You're the target audience.
The following 2 users liked this post by William Fuld:
GoldenJCJ (10-04-22), Obi-Wanma (10-03-22)
Old 10-04-22, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku View Post
I can't speak to where they ran the ads, but in the last two weeks, Eichner was a guest promoting the movie on Today, CBS Morning, (no GMA), The View, Colbert, James Corden, Seth Meyers, (no Fallon interestingly), Kelly Clarkson, Drew Barrymore, Andy Cohen (yeah, I know). And they did a feature on the movie on CBS Sunday Morning to raise awareness among old, white people.
Also Billy on the Street.

Old 10-04-22, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 205 Likes on 176 Posts

Yikes, I just realized that I can only sit still to watch a little bit of these man on the street bits. I appreciate the effort put in to shill for the movie though. One of those Xfinity news tidbit blurbs popped up during a screensaver moment on my TV the past couple days and it notes that word of mouth is solid and may lead to longevity in theaters despite it not being a smash hit right out of the gate.

Also, the funniest bit in your link Match is when Eichner says to the two dudes in the beginning who are all yes, I will see this movie (because they, like most of America, love Paul Rudd), and then Eichner says lots of gay sex in the film and they are like whoa!
Old 10-04-22, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,003 Likes on 726 Posts

Originally Posted by Inhumans99 View Post
Yikes, I just realized that I can only sit still to watch a little bit of these man on the street bits.
He can come off as a little obnoxious. Maybe he's the reason straights stayed away? I certainly wouldn't want to see someone like that for 2 hours.
Old 10-04-22, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 261 Likes on 187 Posts

Went to see this today, and just like when I went to see Brokeback Mountain in 2003, I was the only man in the theatre, the rest of the audience being groups of older women.

Rom-coms are not my favorite genre, but I like to keep an open mind when I go to stuff. I like that the movie is self-aware about the nature of the characters, and I appreciate that this is an actual movie. Rather than filling the run-time with multiple montages set to popular songs, Bros has scenes, with characters interacting, and stuff happening. In fact, I think in the entire movie, there is only one (and it's barely that) music montage.

Amanda Bearse has a small role, and she's in probably the movie's best scene, a torturously awkward family dinner.

I hope this doesn't fall into that category of movie everyone says sucked even though few of them saw it. I don't feel seeing it in the theatre was a waste like Mack & Rita or Easter Sunday.

Edit: This movie is also overflowing with one of my movie pet-peeves; characters wearing their underwear during sex scene. I understand they can't be showing naked erect penises, so maybe reframe the shot instead of shattering the illusion. They can't be that passionate when they're clearly flaccid.

Last edited by Crocker Jarmen; 10-04-22 at 09:26 PM.
Old 10-04-22, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
He can come off as a little obnoxious.
Billy Eichner? Nooooooo

😆

Big fan of his and would have gone to see this in the theatres in the before times. Will check it out on streaming asap
Old 11-28-22, 01:31 PM

Received 3,431 Likes on 2,330 Posts

This will be on Peacock starting December 2.
Old 11-28-22, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 2,311 Likes on 1,703 Posts

Even coming to Peacock I have virtually no interest in this movie. Sorry that Billy Eichner took this movie bombing so personally and made exaggerated assumptions on why it failed.

Old 12-17-22, 12:51 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Watched it. Having watched the trailer I expected more com. This was more of a drama sort of. I can’t explain. The last 20 min redeemed it for sure. Up to that point I did not understand the ratings. And I love me some Billy
Old 12-20-22, 03:57 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 508 Likes on 338 Posts

I love Billy on the Street in small doses, a few minutes every few months, but I’ll give this a shot someday. Added to the queue.