Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Bros (2022, P: Apatow / D: Stoller) - S: Billy Eichner

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-22, 10:53 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Bros
Only In Theaters September 30

This fall, Universal Pictures proudly presents the first romantic comedy from a major studio about two gay men maybe, possibly, probably, stumbling towards love. Maybe. They're both very busy.

From the ferocious comic mind of Billy Eichner (Billy on the Street, 2019's The Lion King, Difficult People, Impeachment: American Crime Story) and the hitmaking brilliance of filmmakers Nicholas Stoller (the Neighbors films, Forgetting Sarah Marshall) and Judd Apatow (The King of Staten Island, Trainwreck, The Big Sick), comes Bros, a smart, swoony and heartfelt comedy about how hard it is to find another tolerable human being to go through life with.

Starring Billy Eichner, the first openly gay man to co-write and star in his own major studio film—and featuring an entirely LGBTQ+ principal cast, including Luke Macfarlane (Killjoys), Ts Madison (The Ts Madison Experience), Monica Raymund (Chicago Fire), Guillermo Díaz (Scandal), Guy Branum (The Other Two) and Amanda Bearse (Married …with Children)—Bros is directed by Nicholas Stoller from his screenplay with Eichner. The film is produced by Judd Apatow, Stoller and Joshua Church (co-producer Trainwreck, Step Brothers) and is executive produced by Eichner.

Last edited by dex14; 05-18-22 at 02:33 PM.
Old 05-18-22, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
re: Bros (2022, P: Apatow / D: Stoller) - S: Billy Eichner

I clicked through to that on a reddit post this morning, definitely emphasis on the NSFW on that trailer.
Old 05-18-22, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts

Looks funny.

From that trailer, is that podcast stuff specifically for the trailer or is the movie ABOUT a gay guy writing a movie?
Old 05-18-22, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Looks funny.

From that trailer, is that podcast stuff specifically for the trailer or is the movie ABOUT a gay guy writing a movie?
I would assume the podcast is part of the latter.

It would be nice to see Amanda Bearse in something. I haven't seen her in a while.
Old 06-16-22, 01:27 PM

Old 09-26-22, 06:14 PM

Re: Bros (2022, P: Apatow / D: Stoller) - S: Billy Eichner

Out this weekend.

Reviews are very positive so far: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/bros_2022
Old 09-26-22, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Love Billy Eichner.

I'll definitely check this out.
Old 10-03-22, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,100 Likes on 796 Posts

Billy Eichner had some things to say on Twitter yesterday about his movie's disappointing opening weekend box office results.

Last night I snuck in and sat in the back of a sold out theater playing BROS in LA. The audience howled with laughter start to finish, burst into applause at the end, and some were wiping away tears as they walked out. It was truly magical. Really. I am VERY proud of this movie.

Rolling Stone already has BROS on the list of the best comedies of the 21st century. What’s also true is that at one point a theater chain called Universal and said they were pulling the trailer because of the gay content. (Uni convinced them not to). America, fuck yeah, etc etc.

That’s just the world we live in, unfortunately. Even with glowing reviews, great Rotten Tomatoes scores, an A CinemaScore etc, straight people, especially in certain parts of the country, just didn’t show up for Bros. And that’s disappointing but it is what it is.

Everyone who ISN’T a homophobic weirdo should go see BROS tonight! You will have a blast! And it *is* special and uniquely powerful to see this particular story on a big screen, esp for queer folks who don’t get this opportunity often. I love this movie so much. GO BROS!!!
I'll say this. I saw Eichner on three different talk shows promoting BROS, and I heard an awful lot about representation and how important this film is, but he never made it sound funny, and the clip he showed (Office gif texting scene) did not move my humor meter in any way.
Old 10-03-22, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

He isn't wrong, people didn't show up.

If it's funny, it'll find its footing on streaming. Reviews have been very strong.

I don't think I've ever seen a straight up rom-com in theaters, but from what I recall normally it has to have a huge star to anchor it in order for it to open even mildly well, and a terminal illness to crack $100m.

Last edited by RichC2; 10-03-22 at 08:27 AM.
Old 10-03-22, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

I can’t believe this bombed so bad. I had been hearing about how hilarious this was for months.

Old 10-03-22, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

How can this be considered a bomb? Nearly $5 million for a movie like this seems pretty good. I assume the budget was kept pretty small.
Old 10-03-22, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
He isn't wrong, people didn't show up.

If it's funny, it'll find its footing on streaming. Reviews have been very strong.

I don't think I've ever seen a straight up rom-com in theaters, but from what I recall normally it has to have a huge star to anchor it in order for it to open even mildly well, and a terminal illness to crack $100m.
I think rom-coms that are more on the comedic side can get away without having big stars... I don't think Carell was a gigantic star when 40 year old virgin came out, for instance. And then you have stuff like My Big Fat Greek Wedding and Crazy Rich Asians that are surprise hits.

But yeah a certain segment of America/the world will not even entertain watching this in theaters, and it has nothing to do with the quality of the film.

Last edited by fujishig; 10-03-22 at 11:01 AM.
Old 10-03-22, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Bitching about people not showing up is ALWAYS a good way to find an audience...
The following 4 users liked this post by d2cheer:
bchbdaddy (10-03-22), Bluelitespecial (10-03-22), IBJoel (10-03-22), MysterioMan007 (10-05-22)
Old 10-03-22, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
I can’t believe this bombed so bad. I had been hearing about how hilarious this was for months.
I totally can. People don't show up for comedies at all any more. This is a gay-themed rom-com staring a guy who is not really famous at all -- and nobody else. I'd heard about it and thought I would catch it on streaming eventually, but had zero desire to see it in a movie theater.

Veiled claims of homophobia to those who don't want to see it in a theater do not sit well with me at all. I'll show up to that upcoming George Clooney - Julia Roberts rom-com, but anything short of that is probably streaming material for me.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (10-03-22)
Old 10-03-22, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

I love Billy Eichner but I can't think of the last time I went and saw a comedy in the theater. Even if it's the funniest thing ever, I usually wait for "video". I can generally only muster the strength to deal with the movie-going public for big blockbusters .
Old 10-03-22, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I’m surprised anyone thought this would be a huge hit anyway. Funny or not, this was marketed for a niche audience.

That first paragraph on Eichner’s Twitter rant sounds very Trump-ian in the way it’s written.

Old 10-03-22, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ticket to Paradise, a rom-com starring Julia Roberts and George Clooney, opens in two weeks. I guess we will see if good old-fashioned heterosexual star power can draw audiences into a theater to see a rom-com.

Originally Posted by windom
How can this be considered a bomb? Nearly $5 million for a movie like this seems pretty good. I assume the budget was kept pretty small.
According to wiki, the budget was $22 million, plus all the millions Universal spent releasing it in theaters instead of sending it straight to Peacock.
Old 10-03-22, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I’m surprised anyone thought this would be a huge hit anyway. Funny or not, this was marketed for a niche audience.

That first paragraph on Eichner’s Twitter rant sounds very Trump-ian in the way it’s written.
I can't speak to where they ran the ads, but in the last two weeks, Eichner was a guest promoting the movie on Today, CBS Morning, (no GMA), The View, Colbert, James Corden, Seth Meyers, (no Fallon interestingly), Kelly Clarkson, Drew Barrymore, Andy Cohen (yeah, I know). And they did a feature on the movie on CBS Sunday Morning to raise awareness among old, white people.
Old 10-03-22, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

They also had a whole segment on Big Brother a few week ago promoting the movie. A competition was tied into it and some of the houseguests got to watch the movie. Wonder how much something like that cost them.
Old 10-03-22, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,280 Likes on 731 Posts

Yeah.. I saw the previews and it seemed, to me anyhow, this was going to be 90 minutes or so of straight bashing and/or gay inside jokes. Why would I want to see that exactly?
Old 10-03-22, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by General Zod
Yeah.. I saw the previews and it seemed, to me anyhow, this was going to be 90 minutes or so of straight bashing and/or gay inside jokes. Why would I want to see that exactly?
I think the Hollywood liberal elites thought that in 2022 people would be less inclined to pigeonhole the movie as just being for "the gays."
Old 10-03-22, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 424 Likes on 305 Posts

How could the makers expect this movie to appeal to anyone outside the single digit percentage of the gay male population that would go see it? I'm sorry but I'm not going to watch it.
Old 10-03-22, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
How could the makers expect this movie to appeal to anyone outside the single digit percentage of the gay male population that would go see it? I'm sorry but I'm not going to watch it.
I feel the same way about straight rom-coms. Gross.

I suspect they might have thought that with the success of Drag Race, and the surprisingly large number of straight women that watch that franchise, that they could get a number of those women into movie seats to see it. Apparently that didn't happen. Though I suppose I am the target market for this, and I literally have only seen 1 ad for it. I used to feel obligated to go to these kinds of things, you know "Well they are going out of their way to make GLBT+ content, the least I can do is support it". But I don't really even go to movies anymore since COVID, so I'm fine waiting until streaming.
Old 10-03-22, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
I can't speak to where they ran the ads, but in the last two weeks, Eichner was a guest promoting the movie on Today, CBS Morning, (no GMA), The View, Colbert, James Corden, Seth Meyers, (no Fallon interestingly), Kelly Clarkson, Drew Barrymore, Andy Cohen (yeah, I know). And they did a feature on the movie on CBS Sunday Morning to raise awareness among old, white people.
I’m out of the loop on the talk show circuit, I guess. I haven’t seen any of those. I’ve seen a couple TV spots and the trailer. Both of which seemed to be marketing it to the LGBTQ crowd.
Old 10-03-22, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Regardless of the movie, I do enjoy a good 'blame movie goers for your flop' meltdown
The following users liked this post:
Bluelitespecial (10-03-22)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.