Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Disney/Pixar's Elemental (2023, D: Sohn)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 05-16-22, 10:22 AM

Received 4,557 Likes on 3,092 Posts

(Concept Art)
Since the ’90s, Pixar has made animated films exploring questions like: What if toys had feelings? (“Toy Story”). What if cars had feelings? (“Cars”). And what if feelings had feelings? (“Inside Out”). Now, it’s time for “What if elements had feelings?”

On Monday, Pixar announced its upcoming 27th film, “Elemental,” coming on June 16, 2023. The film follows two adorable beings made of fire and water who, despite their fundamental, elemental differences, realize they have a lot of similarities.

The logline reads, “The film journeys alongside an unlikely pair, Ember and Wade, in a city where fire-, water-, land- and air-residents live together. The fiery young woman and the go-with-the-flow guy are about to discover something elemental: how much they actually have in common.”

Peter Sohn, who directed Pixar’s “The Good Dinosaur” and the “Partly Cloudy” short, will helm the new film. It will be produced by Denise Ream (“The Good Dinosaur,” “Cars 2”). The movie is also inspired by Sohn’s childhood in New York.

“My parents emigrated from Korea in the early 1970s and built a bustling grocery store in the Bronx,” he said in a statement. “We were among many families who ventured to a new land with hopes and dreams — all of us mixing into one big salad bowl of cultures, languages and beautiful little neighborhoods. That’s what led me to ‘Elemental.'”

“Our story is based on the classic elements — fire, water, land and air,” he added. “Some elements mix with each other, and some don’t. What if these elements were alive?”
https://variety.com/2022/film/news/p...al-1235268093/
Old 05-16-22, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,170 Likes on 4,200 Posts
Re: Disney/Pixar's Elemental (2023, D: Sohn)

Could be cool. Wonder why they didn't announce the vocal cast. They had to have already done the voice work if it's coming out in 13 months from now.
Old 09-09-22, 08:04 PM

Old 09-09-22, 08:09 PM

Played by who and who now?
Guess name recognition isn’t that important to Pixar any more.
Old 09-09-22, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Played by who and who now?
Guess name recognition isn’t that important to Pixar any more.
Apparently they low balled the previous actors like Hader, so the bailed.

Edit: my bad, I was thinking this was the sequel to Inside Out. That was the one where they low balled the actors.
Old 11-17-22, 11:36 AM

Check out the teaser trailer and a poster for Disney and Pixar’s “Elemental,” an all-new, original feature film set in Element City, where fire-, water-, land- and air-residents live together. The story introduces Ember, a tough, quick-witted and fiery young woman, whose friendship with a fun, sappy, go-with-the-flow guy named Wade challenges her beliefs about the world they live in. Directed by Peter Sohn, produced by Denise Ream, and featuring the voices of Leah Lewis and Mamoudou Athie as Ember and Wade, respectively, “Elemental” releases on June 16, 2023.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (11-17-22)
Old 03-28-23, 08:31 AM

This Summer, meet the residents of Element City

Watch the new trailer for Disney and Pixar’s #Elemental and see the movie in 3D, only in theaters June 16!

Check out a brand-new trailer for Disney and Pixar’s “Elemental,” an all-new original feature film that transports moviegoers to an extraordinary place called Element City, where a host of elements live and work. The trailer showcases each element—air, earth, water and fire—and what sets them apart according to Ember, a quick-witted and fiery woman who’s always stayed close to home in Firetown. In “Elemental,” which opens in theaters on June 16, she finally ventures out of her comfort zone to explore this spectacular world born from the imaginations of Pixar’s filmmakers and specifically crafted for the big-screen experience. Element City is inspired by big cities around the globe and embraces theorized contributions from each elemental community—from giant pine-tree-like buildings and waterfall skyscrapers to a tornado-shaped arena called Cyclone Stadium.

Joining the previously announced voice cast including Leah Lewis and Mamoudou Athie as Ember and Wade, respectively, are Ronnie del Carmen as Ember’s soon-to-be retired dad, Bernie; Shila Ommi as Ember’s love-seeking mom, Cinder; Wendi McLendon-Covey as Wade’s stormy and Air-Ball-loving boss, Gale; Catherine O’Hara as Wade’s welcoming mom, Brook; Mason Wertheimer as Ember’s admiring earth neighbor, Clod; and Joe Pera as an overgrown city bureaucrat, Fern.

Directed by Peter Sohn, produced by Denise Ream, p.g.a., and executive produced by Pete Docter, “Elemental” features a screenplay by John Hoberg & Kat Likkel and Brenda Hsueh with story by Sohn, Hoberg & Likkel and Hsueh. The film’s original score was composed and conducted by Thomas Newman.
Old 03-28-23, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Not feeling this one at all. But Pixar has only rarely disappointed me, so I'll give it a shot.
Old 03-28-23, 12:35 PM

Yeah, that looks pretty generic and kind of too similar to a low rent Inside Out or Soul.
And as I said before it's hurt by the lack of name talent.
Old 03-28-23, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,299 Likes on 943 Posts

My granddaughter is named Ember.
Old 03-28-23, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts

The backgrounds look fantastic but, holy shit, are those character designs bad. They’re like those 1960s cartoons that just add and animated mouth to static characters.
Old 06-09-23, 06:41 AM

This has been having festival screenings. Some reviews: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/elemental_2023

It comes out next week.
Old 06-09-23, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Ouch.

I hate what's happened to Pixar. They were the leaders in storytelling for so long but it feels like they got lazy and let success go their heads. I used to collect every Pixar movie on DVD/Blu but I've gradually eased off of that and I haven't even seen many of the recent years' films.

One of the things that I'm thinking about for this one is how the concept art is so beautiful and then the actual designs are so plain. I know that's not connected to story issues, per se, but it may be part of the whole attitude they have now.
Old 06-09-23, 01:17 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Ouch.

I hate what's happened to Pixar. They were the leaders in storytelling for so long but it feels like they got lazy and let success go their heads. I used to collect every Pixar movie on DVD/Blu but I've gradually eased off of that and I haven't even seen many of the recent years' films.
I think it lines up with John Lasseter leaving. He had his finger in every Pixar story very early in the process. When Disney bought Pixar and made him head of Disney Animation, all of a sudden Disney animated movies went from terrible to bonafide classics again. Now that he's been gone for a few years, Disney is back to making mediocre movies along with Pixar. Pixar has lost some of their original creative talent too which didn't help.
Old 06-09-23, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

67% isn't a terrible score. Most people seem to not understand RT correctly. It doesn't mean that's a D grade. It means 67% of the 24 reviews in so far gave it a favorable opinion. Yes, it's a far cry from the hey day of Pixar when practically all their movies were critical darlings.

And it certainly didn't help when Chapek dumped Soul, Luca and Turning Red on to Disney + I think it made people devalue Pixar movies as theatrical experiences and made some think they were throwaway streaming movies.

Abob Teff (06-28-23)
Old 06-13-23, 09:33 AM

It's up to 80% now that general critics are starting to review. Like Indiana Jones, this wasn't really the ideal film to start premiering at festivals.
Old 06-19-23, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Just got back from a matinee. It was mostly teens and kids with their parents in the audience. I realize most of this forum is probably not the audience for this movie. And only hot IPs like DC and Marvel propel most discussions. But, I thought it was a really well done Pixar movie that tackled some mature themes. So no, this isn’t some cheesy kiddie movie even though it’s animated. It tackled Immigrants, cultures clashing and a forbidden love story. There is actually no big stars among the voice cast and I thought that worked and allowed me to focus more on the story and characters and not get distracted by what star was voicing who. The Wade and Ember love story was sweet and had some really nice moments. Again two unknowns voicing the two leads.

There was also a short prior to the movie of Carl and Dug from Up! Carl was going on his first date since the death of his wife. It was pretty funny. I guess the short was voiced by Ed Asner sometime prior to his death in 2021.

This IMO is a good movie for adults and younger children.
Old 06-19-23, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
So no, this isn’t some cheesy kiddie movie even though it’s animated. It tackled Immigrants, cultures clashing and a forbidden love story.
This sounds like exactly the reasons it failed to find an audience - what an incredibly unappealing animated Pixar movie. Sure, have messages and themes that flow naturally from stories... but audiences can sniff out when it's being banged over their head - no different than faith based films imo.

Last edited by Artman; 06-19-23 at 11:01 PM.
Old 06-19-23, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Artman
This sounds like exactly the reasons it failed to find an audience - what an incredibly unappealing animated Pixar movie. Sure, have messages and themes that flow naturally from stories... but audiences can sniff out when it's being banged over their head - no different than faith based films imo.
I think audiences are getting smarter IMO. I don't think Pixar movies always have to be light and bubbly like Toy Story or Up! to be relatable to families. Also, I thought this story that dealt with the child of an Immigrant family (fire) will give some children of immigrant families good talking points with their parents about where they came from and how they fit into this culture. It also showed you can find love no matter backgrounds the people are from and in this case it was fire and water.

I'm not saying you're initial assessment of my thoughts are wrong. Entertainment is highly subjective and this type of animated story may not appeal to you. I'm just saying that we don't always have to make stories for families about a heroine/hero, a villain, a conflict and a resolution. There were no heroes or villains in this movie.

And regarding it not making bank at the office, that could be a number of reasons. Extremely stiff competition since it's summer and not enough money to go around is likely the main factor. And of course, Disney's mismanagement of the Pixar IP and devaluing it for some people. But, It's only June and this is probably the most competitive summer with lots of new movies since the pandemic died down.

Last edited by DJariya; 06-19-23 at 11:19 PM.
Old 06-20-23, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by Artman
That’s a little reductive. I didn’t get any sense that those issues played a big role in the film, so it seems unlikely that they’re playing a significant part in the films opening week box office failure. I think it’s much more likely a combination of
1) No name cast. A terrible decision, counter to just about every big budget animated film of the 21st Century.
2) Derivative animation style that looks like a low-rent Inside Out mixed with Soul
3) A trailer where absolutely none of the jokes landed. I felt like I’ve seen this film before and it’s not clever enough to watch again.

It felt like there was no excitement and no buzz about this film at all.
Jason Bovberg (06-20-23)
Old 06-21-23, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,299 Likes on 943 Posts

Carl's Date will tug at your heart. It was a great short.

I enjoyed Elemental more than most. I always like the little touches like at the playoff game when water elements do a wave they do a literal wave. Not a gut buster but Pixar cute. I am probably biased because I have a granddaughter named Ember.
The following 2 users liked this post by TomOpus:
DJariya (06-21-23), JeremyM (06-25-23)
Old 06-22-23, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
That’s a little reductive. I didn’t get any sense that those issues played a big role in the film, so it seems unlikely that they’re playing a significant part in the films opening week box office failure. I think it’s much more likely a combination of
1) No name cast. A terrible decision, counter to just about every big budget animated film of the 21st Century.
2) Derivative animation style that looks like a low-rent Inside Out mixed with Soul
3) A trailer where absolutely none of the jokes landed. I felt like I’ve seen this film before and it’s not clever enough to watch again.

It felt like there was no excitement and no buzz about this film at all.
this movie apparently cost 200 million to make and it looked so generic in the trailers. absolutely no interest in watching this in the theaters
Old 06-22-23, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

We enjoyed it. Not sure where the "derivative" style comments come from. It looked pretty unique to me, especially for the fire people. It was kind of a 2d/3d hybrid for their facial features which was kind of neat looking. I do agree, however, that this was a tough to market film. It's a pretty small/simple "human" story that wasn't conveyed at all in the trailers that I saw.
DJariya (06-22-23)
Old 06-22-23, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy
We enjoyed it. Not sure where the "derivative" style comments come from. It looked pretty unique to me, especially for the fire people.
I talked to a couple of MAs in my office with small children. Both were barely aware of the film, had no idea it had already come out, and both thought the movie was Inside Out 2.
Old 06-22-23, 12:32 PM

While they're not identical, they look close enough to confuse a casual movie-goer who catches a trailer or ad on TV.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.