Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Shrouds (D: Cronenberg) S: Cassel

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 05-03-22, 01:12 PM

Received 3,035 Likes on 2,059 Posts

In the last issue of French magazine Les Inrockuptibles, David Cronenberg confirms that he'll shoot a new feature film in March of 2023.This one is called "Shrouds", it comes to us from the aborted Netflix project we had previously spoken of. Supposedly, the streaming giant got cold feet after reading the second episode.

The film will be co-produced by Sad Ben Sad.

He may have been hinting at retirement, with no film released these last six years, but the legendary 79-year-old Canadian director is not done. He’s set to premiere “Crimes of the Future” at Cannes, what will surely be a controversial sci-fi film.
https://www.worldofreel.com/blog/202...scsgo0jtbga7bq

Last edited by dex14; 05-03-22 at 01:20 PM.
Old 05-11-22, 09:23 AM

re: The Shrouds (D: Cronenberg) S: Cassel

Vincent Cassel will reunite with David Cronenberg for “The Shrouds,” a new thriller from the director of “A History of Violence” and “Dead Ringers.” The film, which Cronenberg will write as well as direct, centers on Karsh (Cassel), an innovative businessman and grieving widower, who builds a device to connect with the dead inside a burial shroud.

Cassel and Cronenberg previously teamed up on “Eastern Promises” and “A Dangerous Method.” Their latest collaboration seems very much in the same envelope-pushing vein. According to the official longline for “The Shrouds,” Karsh’s revolutionary business is on the verge of breaking into the international mainstream when several graves within his cemetery are vandalized and nearly destroyed, including that of his wife. While he struggles to uncover a clear motive for the attack, the mystery of who wrought this havoc, and why, will drive Karsh to reevaluate his business, marriage and fidelity to his late wife’s memory, as well as push him to new beginnings.

Sad Ben Sad (SBS Productions), Martin Katz (Prospero Pictures) and Michel Merkt will produce the picture, with CAA Media Finance handling U.S. Sales and FilmNation Entertainment overseeing international distribution. Sales will launch at Cannes, where Cronenberg will premiere his latest film, “Crimes of the Future” starring Viggo Mortensen, La Seydoux and Kristen Stewart.

Cassel’s credits also include “Ocean’s Twelve,” “Ocean’s Thirteen” and “Black Swan.” He began his career in France in 1988 in television and cinema and got a big break with 1995’s “La Haine.” He went on to act in more than 80 films in France and the United States.

Filming on “The Shrouds” will begin in March 2023.

“We are thrilled to be going on a journey into the newest world from the distinctive imagination of David Cronenberg. His ability to write smart and unconventional screenplays and then translate them into unique experiences on screen makes him a unique voice in film,” said Ben Sad.
https://variety.com/2022/film/market...235263784/amp/
Old 09-21-22, 12:48 PM

Re: The Shrouds (D: Cronenberg) S: Cassel

Canadian filmmaker David Cronenberg revealed additional cast and shoot details about his next feature, The Shrouds, during a press conference at San Sebastian International Film Festival, where he has been given the festival’s honorary Donostia Award.

French star Lea Seydoux is joining the cast, alongside the previously announced French actor Vincent Cassel, although Cronenberg insisted: “It’s not a French film.” Seydoux also stars in Cronenberg’s latest body horror feature, Cannes premiere Crimes Of The Future, which is screening at San Sebastian.

“It’s a very personal project for me,” said Cronenberg of The Shrouds. “People who know me will know what parts of it are autobiographical.”

The feature is set to shoot in spring 2023 in Cronenberg’s hometown of Toronto.

As previously announced, Cassel, who worked with Cronenberg on Eastern Promises and Dangerous Method, will play a businessman who builds a device to connect with the dead inside a burial shroud. FilmNation and CAA Media Finance handle sales, while SBS Productions and Prospero Pictures produce.
Future ambitions

Cronenberg admitted he almost gave up making films eight years ago. “I thought I was finished,” he said. However, he confirmed: “I hope to commit more crimes in the future, by making more films.”

He is interested in further pursuing grassroots approaches to filmmaking. “I’ve always been interested in access to technology. You can now make quite a good movie with your phone – if it’s a good phone,” he said. “There were some moments in Crimes Of The Future that were shot with an iPhone.”

The filmmaker described himself as “the junior scientist” with a continued desire to explore “bodies modifying under technology”.

And while his work has been censored in the past, Cronenberg maintained: ”The purpose of my filmmaking is not to shock.”
https://www.screendaily.com/news/lea...174687.article
Old 09-22-22, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 190 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
Its a very personal project for me, said Cronenberg of The Shrouds. People who know me will know what parts of it are autobiographical.

https://www.screendaily.com/news/lea...174687.article
Sounds like he's talking about the same things that inspired his short film last year "The Death Of David Cronenberg"

He spoke to me from Athens during pre-production for his first feature film in seven years. A seven years in which his wife passed away.

[She] died in that house, in a bed, and it felt when she died, partly, like I died, and I still feel that, he said. That corpse is my wife to me. So its not just a frivolous horror film. It is a film about love and the transient aspect of being human.

David Cronenberg on mortality and kissing a silicone corpse in his first short, NFT film - SuperRare Magazine
Old 09-22-22, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 297 Likes on 203 Posts

Hope its better than Crimes of the Future. What an absolute slog that was.