Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Don't Worry Darling (2022, D: Wilde) S: Pugh, Styles, Pine, Chan, Wilde, Layne

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Don't Worry Darling (2022, D: Wilde) S: Pugh, Styles, Pine, Chan, Wilde, Layne

Old 09-06-22, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 881 Likes on 640 Posts
Re: Don't Worry Darling (2022, D: Wilde) S: Pugh, Styles, Pine, Chan, Wilde, Layne

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
. And there is video that shows she does eventually clap towards her.
Old 09-06-22, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts
Re: Don't Worry Darling (2022, D: Wilde) S: Pugh, Styles, Pine, Chan, Wilde, Layne

Originally Posted by Count Dooku View Post
What does the phrase "critics online in the socials" mean?

There are 6 reviews up on RT. 4 mixed but positive, 1 mixed but negative, 1 negative.

Are the people "trashing" this movie on social media just randos on twitter? Because that would mean their opinions are worth about as much as belly button lint.
It means that critics Tweet a brief recap of their feelings on a film right after they see it and before any review is submitted.

And I was right. 46% on Rotten Tomatoes with 25 reviews.

You are a strange dude sometimes, my man.
Old 09-06-22, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 147 Posts

I am shock our media is lying to us. WTF.
Old 09-06-22, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,217 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer View Post
I am shock our media is lying to us. WTF.
Hollywood Gossip is the lowest level of “news” there is. It’s one small step above internet trolling, and a lot of the time they’re neck and neck for pure sleaziness.
Old 09-06-22, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 3,513 Likes on 2,346 Posts

Yeah since when is Hollywood tabloid gossip coverage considered "Our media"?
Old 09-06-22, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 631 Likes on 468 Posts

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper View Post
It means that critics Tweet a brief recap of their feelings on a film right after they see it and before any review is submitted.

And I was right. 46% on Rotten Tomatoes with 25 reviews.

You are a strange dude sometimes, my man.
I don't engage with Twitter, so if you want to make vague references to what is being said on that social media platform on this site, you might want to be more specific with your explanation. I'm not a mind reader.

Also, you said the movie was getting trashed. The movie is not getting trashed. While the majority of reviews ultimately come down with a negative assessment, the reviews are not completely negative. The overall tone is that Wilde's goals with the story are beyond what is achieved, but the effort is not a complete failure, and in fact, the negative reviews contain great praise for Pugh's performance or the Wilde's direction or the movie's visual style.

Just the percentage of 46% means that almost half the reviews are positive. That is not a movie getting trashed. I'm a strange dude who knows the meaning of words, indeed.

But the truth is I'm just interested in the general tone that seems to have emerged surrounding this film. It seems like the idea that a stunningly beautiful actress, who's almost 40, deciding to pursue directing with serious artistic aspirations, and then take up with a younger man, who's a world-wide sex symbol, makes some people feel like she needs to be taken down, and so there is a feeling of delight expressed that the film is not a triumph.
Old 09-06-22, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 881 Likes on 640 Posts

With all this "publicity" this movie should be #1 when it opens.
Old 09-06-22, 12:00 PM

I don't engage with Twitter, so if you want to make vague references to what is being said on that social media platform on this site, you might want to be more specific with your explanation. I'm not a mind reader.

Also, you said the movie was getting trashed. The movie is not getting trashed. While the majority of reviews ultimately come down with a negative assessment, the reviews are not completely negative. The overall tone is that Wilde's goals with the story are beyond what is achieved, but the effort is not a complete failure, and in fact, the negative reviews contain great praise for Pugh's performance or the Wilde's direction or the movie's visual style.

Just the percentage of 46% means that almost half the reviews are positive. That is not a movie getting trashed. I'm a strange dude who knows the meaning of words, indeed.

It is currently at a score of 49 on MetaCritic. But do continue. lol
Old 09-06-22, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 691 Likes on 559 Posts

A 49 is roughly a 2.5 out of 5 average. That's not quite "trashed" but it isn't very good (on par with Bullet Train and The Gray Man).

Kind of a typical "watchable but forgettable" score.
Old 09-06-22, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 184 Likes on 135 Posts

Why did they leave the comma out of the title?
Old 09-06-22, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by windom View Post
Rumor has it the comma didn’t get along with Florence Pugh so it had to go.

*Cue the video clip of Pugh not making eye contact with the comma*
The following users liked this post:
[email protected] (09-07-22)
Old 09-06-22, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 691 Likes on 559 Posts

They didn't want the title to come off as book-smart.
The following users liked this post:
Ash Ketchum (09-08-22)
Old 09-06-22, 08:46 PM

Ask Brian Wilson

Old 09-06-22, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 619 Likes on 382 Posts

Olivia Wilde said that she fired the comma, but I read a story that said the comma quit.
Old 09-06-22, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 2,067 Likes on 1,517 Posts

Spitgate wasn’t real according to Pine’s reps.

Old 09-06-22, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Ask Brian Wilson
I would think his girlfriend has every right to worry that he’s getting around.
Old 09-06-22, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
I would think his girlfriend has every right to worry that he’s getting around.
Fair enough. But Brian Wilson's girlfriend had more to be worried about than his infidelity.
Old 09-07-22, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 122 Likes on 96 Posts

But the truth is I'm just interested in the general tone that seems to have emerged surrounding this film. It seems like the idea that a stunningly beautiful actress, who's almost 40, deciding to pursue directing with serious artistic aspirations, and then take up with a younger man, who's a world-wide sex symbol, makes some people feel like she needs to be taken down, and so there is a feeling of delight expressed that the film is not a triumph.

46% isn't exactly great, but still doing better than the recent Jurassic World or bigger budgeted Batman v Superman. I would say something registering less than 30% is being ravaged . That being said, everyone seems to be in agreement that the movie isn't much to really talk about. Of course I remember way back in late September of 1999 when the Ashley Judd movie Double Jeopardy was released with horrific reviews and proceeded to be a major hit, so who knows what people will like.
Old 09-08-22, 09:10 AM

Old 09-08-22, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Cellar Door View Post
Olivia Wilde said that she fired the comma, but I read a story that said the comma quit.
only semicolons can be inserted in this film
Old 09-08-22, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 619 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by chowderhead View Post
only semicolons can be inserted in this film
It's this darn "woke" culture!
Old 09-08-22, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 122 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
With all this "publicity" this movie should be #1 when it opens.

People have a short memory. All of this will be forgotten by the time this opens unless one of them does something even crazier in the next two weeks.
Old 09-21-22, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 192 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD View Post
People have a short memory. All of this will be forgotten by the time this opens unless one of them does something even crazier in the next two weeks.
I think so too, however, I was at a restaurant last night, and I could overhear a trio of young students at the table behind us talking about what they'd seen at the movies recently. One of them excitedly told the others she got three free passes, "So we can see DON'T WORRY DARLING on Friday without spending money and supporting Harry Styles."
Old 09-22-22, 07:55 AM

So I saw Olivia Wilde on the Stephen Colbert show and he asked her a bunch of different questions about all the rumors and she kind of denied them for the most part. But when he asked her if there’s any truth to the rumors that there is a feud between Olivia and Florence Pugh, she said she had nothing but respect for Florence’s talent.

That’s not a great way to compliment another person, especially one you worked very closely with for several months.
Old 09-22-22, 08:30 PM

Received 78 Likes on 55 Posts

Just got back from watching this. What a piece of shit. Florence Pugh was the best part of it and gave a great performance, but outside of Chris Pine, no one else showed any acting chops. The theater I was in laughed every time Harry Styles opened his mouth.

The story was interesting, but the execution was not. Just a bunch of hallucinatory bullshit every 5 minutes with the same shot of woman on their backs leg dancing spliced in for some strange reason. Otherwise, the movie was nice visually.

Florence Pugh has never looked more attractive than she was in this movie. She was smoking here. But if you saw the trailer, you pretty much have seen the movie. I was mad at myself while leaving because I took time out of my day to watch this feminist drivel.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.