Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Don't Worry Darling (2022, D: Wilde) S: Pugh, Styles, Pine, Chan, Wilde, Layne

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Don't Worry Darling (2022, D: Wilde) S: Pugh, Styles, Pine, Chan, Wilde, Layne

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-22, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Re: Don't Worry Darling (2022, D: Wilde) S: Pugh, Styles, Pine, Chan, Wilde, Layne

Originally Posted by RichC2
Yeah, on one hand it seems like everyone is ganging up on Wilde. On the other hand, she has done little to suggest she hasn't played a substantial role in it.

One of the rumors going around was the Pugh literally directed a few scenes while Wilde was preoccupied with Styles. I doubt that is completely true, but there are probably some shreds of fact mixed in there.
Did she put Styles in the movie to woo him? I can't say I'm impressed with his music, nor has he been in any movies that I think would give credence to him getting a main role in a movie like this. Well, I guess he was in the Eternals.
Old 08-26-22, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Re: Don't Worry Darling (2022, D: Wilde) S: Pugh, Styles, Pine, Chan, Wilde, Layne

She wasn't wrong to want to keep Shia, clearly sending a desperate message like that. Probably the most damaging is her referring to Miss Flo as being the issue, burned some bridges no doubt.
Old 08-27-22, 03:13 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Old 08-27-22, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Let's be honest: this film wasn't going to make two shekels, no matter what "controversy" was involved. No real bankable actors, and Wilde isn't exactly a commanding director of note.

Now from the controversy, it might make four shekels.
Old 08-27-22, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts

I don’t blame Pugh for not wanting to promote the movie. I’m sure she doesn’t want to spend the next month answering questions about her thoughts on Wilde and Styles’ relationship or the Shia stuff.
Old 08-27-22, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I don’t blame Pugh for not wanting to promote the movie. I’m sure she doesn’t want to spend the next month answering questions about her thoughts on Wilde and Styles’ relationship or the Shia stuff.
Or the box munching scene...
Old 08-27-22, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Let's be honest: this film wasn't going to make two shekels, no matter what "controversy" was involved. No real bankable actors, and Wilde isn't exactly a commanding director of note.

Now from the controversy, it might make four shekels.
It's hard to buy the amount of free publicity this movie has gotten
Old 08-28-22, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

I have a feeling this movie is probably a stink bomb. If Florence Pugh truly thought it was any good , she would be trying to help sell tickets. Wilde is obviously out as she's become too controversial, and they sure as hell can't send out Styles since his banging Wilde. That leaves Pine, but he's not playing a main character.
Old 08-28-22, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
I have a feeling this movie is probably a stink bomb. If Florence Pugh truly thought it was any good , she would be trying to help sell tickets. Wilde is obviously out as she's become too controversial, and they sure as hell can't send out Styles since his banging Wilde. That leaves Pine, but he's not playing a main character.
The original script was interesting enough, but as I said earlier in the thread, it seems Silberman did a decent rewrite to build out the world and characters. So, I wonder how much they took the ending and fleshed out more themes. I'm curious to see people's reactions.
Old 08-28-22, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dex14
The original script was interesting enough, but as I said earlier in the thread, it seems Silberman did a decent rewrite. So, I wonder how much they took the ending and fleshed out more themes. I'm curious to see people's reactions.

I don't know anything about the original script, but judging from the trailer,

Spoiler:
I'm making a call that they are not actually in the 1950s or early 60s and there is some kind of screwy Stepford Wives type utopia being created .
Old 08-28-22, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
I seriously don't think it has literally anything to do with her opinion about the movie's quality. It's all about avoiding the awkward situation she's been put in where she would be asked hundreds and hundreds of questions about 1) Harry & Olivia's relationship, 2) Why did Harry get paid more than her, and 3) Shia's firing/ resignation. That's a lot of sideshow for a budding movie star. I don't blame her in the least. Let Harry and Olivia do the press junket for this. And speaking of which, why isn't anyone hounding Chris Pine for the movie publicity?
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (08-28-22)
Old 08-28-22, 11:40 AM

Gossip sites and Styles stans have breathlessly tracked every little morsel about Don’t Worry Darling since production began in the fall of 2020. After Wilde and Styles became romantically linked, the internet went into overdrive. When the trailer debuted in May, the sex scenes were predictably what was seized upon. “When it’s reduced to your sex scenes, or to watch the most famous man in the world go down on someone, it’s not why we do it. It’s not why I’m in this industry,” Pugh says. “Obviously, the nature of hiring the most famous pop star in the world, you’re going to have conversations like that. That’s just not what I’m going to be discussing because [this movie is] bigger and better than that. And the people who made it are bigger and better than that.”
https://www.harpersbazaar.com/cultur...ing-interview/
Old 08-28-22, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

I can’t wait to see this.
Old 09-05-22, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

This is getting trashed pretty good by critics online in the socials, first screenings finally just finished up.
Old 09-05-22, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,100 Likes on 796 Posts

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
This is getting trashed pretty good by critics online in the socials, first screenings finally just finished up.
What does the phrase "critics online in the socials" mean?

There are 6 reviews up on RT. 4 mixed but positive, 1 mixed but negative, 1 negative.

Are the people "trashing" this movie on social media just randos on twitter? Because that would mean their opinions are worth about as much as belly button lint.
Old 09-05-22, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The original script was interesting enough, but as I said earlier in the thread, it seems Silberman did a decent rewrite to build out the world and characters. So, I wonder how much they took the ending and fleshed out more themes. I'm curious to see people's reactions.

I downloaded the original script and have been skimming it. They appear to have changed characters' names since that initial draft as none of them match with what's listed on IMDB.
Old 09-05-22, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
Critics today mean nothing....I am still shocked anyone cares what an opinion of someone watching a movie that they don't know means.

Old 09-05-22, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by d2cheer
Critics today mean nothing....I am still shocked anyone cares what an opinion of someone watching a movie that they don't know means.

Because they want to get an idea as to whether something they are about to drop some good money on seeing is worthwhile? Granted, there are some movies that are so well established as franchises reviews have little to no effect on people going to see them. However, something like this that has no franchise or something with which a viewer is already familiar, a review provides some insight. That being said...

Spoiler:
if this follows the original script, then yep, this is actually in the future and is basically a hodge podge of Stepford Wives, The Village, and The Matrix. The way I see it this will either surprise people and be a hit, or become something worthy of MST3K. It all depends on the execution of the material. Quite frankly, I don't think Wilde has the visual eye needed for this kind of movie. I could be wrong, but not too certain right now.

Again, I'm reading the original draft, lots could have changed.
Old 09-05-22, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Looks like Florence Pugh really wants nothing to do with Olivia Wilde.

The whole "standing ovation" thing from the film festivals. I don't know why the press puts some much credence into it.

Old 09-05-22, 06:12 PM

I can't believe that guy works for Variety with a tweet like that. "Refuses"? There are like 6 people between them. And there is video that shows she does eventually clap towards her.

Last edited by dex14; 09-05-22 at 06:20 PM.
Old 09-05-22, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Okay, just finished the original draft.

Spoiler:
I am thinking they must have changed a lot because it reads more like a spec script one would develop into a fuller story. As it stands, its' only 88 pages and while it has promise, it kind of deteriorates into a typical woman trying to evade an obsessive man with a healthy dose of gore for its own sake. It seems like something that would play out better as a modern Twilight Zone episode. It also seems to focus for the most part on the characters that would be played by Pugh and Styles, so obviously they expanded on what were background characters in this version.
Old 09-05-22, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts

I can't believe that guy works for Variety with a tweet like that. "Refuses"? There are like 6 people between them. And there is video that shows she does eventually clap towards her.
When I saw that click bait title I assumed Olivia was the one standing just to the right of Pugh and that it would be super obvious she was avoiding eye contact. Of course I watch the clip and realize Olivia is the one in the yellow dress with several other people standing between them.
Old 09-05-22, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

And she looks in her direction right when the camera pans away. I don't know who the guy in blue is but she seems more focused on him.
Old 09-05-22, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Did Harry spit on Chris?

Another viral video from Venice. This is getting ridiculous.
Old 09-06-22, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

He's chewing gum. Was probably adjusting it. Why would he spit knowing the house lights are on and cameras going everywhere.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.