Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

I Wanna Dance With Somebody (2022, D: Lemmons) S: Naomi Ackie -- Whitney Houston biopic

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

I Wanna Dance With Somebody (2022, D: Lemmons) S: Naomi Ackie -- Whitney Houston biopic

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-22, 06:23 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Sony Pictures’ Whitney Houston biopic starring Naomi Ackie has received its first poster. It prominently features Ackie as the iconic R&B singer, whose hit song inspired the title. I Wanna Dance With Somebody will release in theaters on December 21, 2022.

I Wanna Dance With Somebody will be directed by Kasi Lemmons (Harriet) from a screenplay written by Anthony McCarten, the scribe behind acclaimed biopics such as Darkest Hour and Bohemian Rhapsody. Producers are McCarten, Grammy-winning producer Clive Davis, Pat Houston, and Primary Wave’s Larry Mester & Denis O’Sullivan, with Stella Meghie (The Photograph), who was previously attached to direct, still serving as an executive producer.

The film is a co-production by The Whitney Houston Estate and Primary Wave. Due to the blessing of Houston’s estate and Davis, the project has been authorized to use the late singer’s catalog and vocals. Nicole Brown, Shary Shirazi, and Brittany Morrissey are also set to oversee the project on behalf of TriStar Pictures.

After 7 studio albums, 6 Grammy wins, 9 world tours, and countless memorable hit songs later, Whitney Houston is still regarded as one of the most iconic and influential artists of all time. Even after her untimely death eight years ago at the age of 48, her legacy continues to live on through all of the old and new singers she had inspired by her immense talent and music. She had also earned the title of most awarded female artist of all time by the Guinness World Records and is still one of the best-selling music artists of all time with 200 million records sold worldwide.

Houston is also best known for her acting debut film, The Bodyguard starring alongside Kevin Costner which had become the second highest-grossing film worldwide in 1992 and its soundtrack also became the best-selling soundtrack album of all time with the song “I Will Always Love You.” Her other notable film credits include Forest Whitaker’s 1995 romance film Waiting to Exhale; Penny Marshall’s The Preacher’s Wife opposite Denzel Washington; and the Disney musical TV film Rodgers & Hammerstein’s Cinderella which earned 7 Emmy nominations.
Old 04-26-22, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Re: I Wanna Dance With Somebody (2022, D: Lemmons) S: Naomi Ackie -- Whitney Houston biopic

Due to the blessing of Houston’s estate and Davis, the project has been authorized to use the late singer’s catalog and vocals. Nicole Brown, Shary Shirazi, and Brittany Morrissey are also set to oversee the project on behalf of TriStar Pictures.

I didn't expect this to be scandalous or controversial but since it has her family's blessing, it definitely means that it will be "sanitized" even more. I love Whitney's music so I will eventually give it a watch.

I did enjoy that "Whitney" documentary from a few years ago that actually touched upon her "relationship" with Robyn Crawford.
Old 04-26-22, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
Re: I Wanna Dance With Somebody (2022, D: Lemmons) S: Naomi Ackie -- Whitney Houston biopic

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
I didn't expect this to be scandalous or controversial but since it has her family's blessing, it definitely means that it will be "sanitized" even more. I love Whitney's music so I will eventually give it a watch.

I did enjoy that "Whitney" documentary from a few years ago that actually touched upon her "relationship" with Robyn Crawford.
You should read the book she wrote about Whitney, its called "A Song for You". I couldn't put it down. Robyn goes into detail about everything that went on, including their relationship. VERY good book!
The following users liked this post:
LorenzoL (04-27-22)
Old 04-27-22, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,026 Likes on 725 Posts

I'll have to watch this, but the whole story is just so sad.
Old 04-27-22, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,176 Likes on 4,205 Posts

Originally Posted by andicus
I'll have to watch this, but the whole story is just so sad.
Maybe not in this family-sanctioned version.
Old 04-27-22, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

If you’re even remotely interested in a comprehensive film about Whitney’s life and career, watch Whitney from 2018 as LorenzoL just said.
Old 04-27-22, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya
If you’re even remotely interested in a comprehensive film about Whitney’s life and career, watch Whitney from 2018 as LorenzoL just said.
I agree. This one was REALLY good. I was riveted the whole time I watched it and got it on DVD. The part about Dionne Warwick's sister Dee Dee Warwick tho and what she did to Whitney and her brother...damn.
Old 09-15-22, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

Old 09-15-22, 10:22 AM

Looks like it may be good. I'll check out it.
Old 09-15-22, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts

I realize that’s just the teaser but based on that trailer this looks sanitized as fuck.

I’m guessing in this version, Whitney dies because the world just loved her too much.
Old 09-15-22, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I realize that’s just the teaser but based on that trailer this looks sanitized as fuck.

I’m guessing in this version, Whitney dies because the world just loved her too much.
You're not kidding. That looked more like an SNL parody of a sanitized music biopic than an actual real-life one. So many clichés and tropes.

And the movie title is terrible. Yes I know it's one of her most famous songs, but it's also about dancing, which the movie isn't.
Old 09-15-22, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

I see they fixed the actress' teeth for this. I wonder if it was something permanent or temporary. I hope they didn't have to CGI them.
Old 09-17-22, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
I see they fixed the actress' teeth for this. I wonder if it was something permanent or temporary. I hope they didn't have to CGI them.
Can they CGI my teeth so I don't have to go to the dentist?
Old 09-17-22, 12:05 PM

Hollywood Elsewhere post. Apparently this isn't that bad.

Repeating: Houston Biopic Is This Year’s “Respect”

Initially posted on 4.27.22: Kasi LemmonsI Wanna Dance With Somebody (Sony, 12.21.22), a cradle-to-grave biopic of the late Whitney Houston, was screened last night in Las Vegas, and the word (I spoke to two viewers) is definitely on the approving side.

It’s longish (150 minutes, give or take) and technically incomplete, as is normal for any film that’s more than eight months from opening. And it covers almost all of the biographical basics for Whitney fans — definitely a fan-service presentation.

For what it’s worth one guy’s reaction is through the roof about Naomi Ackie‘s Whitney performance. I know nothing about Ackie except that (a) she’s British and (b) played the smallish role of “Jannah” in 2019’s Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker.

What kind of movie is I Wanna Dance With Somebody? Honest response: “It’s a TIFF People’s Award winner…it’s not a Venice or Telluride type of film…it’s been made for your hoi polloi faithful. And yet it’s intelligent and well-written as far as biopics go…screenplay by Anthony McCarten, shot by Zero Dark Thirty‘s Barry Aykroyd. Nothing wrong with that. It takes all sorts of films to make a world.

It’s basically a six-character drama — Ackie as Houston, Ashton Sanders as Bobby Brown, Stanley Tucci as Clive Davis, Nafessa Williams as Robyn Crawford (Whitney’s girlfriend), Clarke Peters as Whitney’s father and Tamara Tunie as her mom.

Houston’s Bodyguard costar Kevin Costner isn’t a character in the film.
Old 09-17-22, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well if a whole *checks notes* TWO random people think it’s good, that’s good enough for me!

Seriously though, if Bohemian Rhapsody is any indicator, I’m sure this will be just fine. It’ll be a harmless cookie-cutter movie that displays her music front and center and leaves the viewer happy without actually digging into any of the more controversial aspects of Whitney’s life.

I’m a big fan of Whitney Houston’s music so I’ll watch regardless but I won’t be expecting anything other than the standard clichéd music biopic.
Old 09-17-22, 12:19 PM

Much like how This Is Spinal Tap ruined all future Rock & Roll documentaries, Walk Hard nailed the cliches and tropes so perfectly that it's almost impossible to take any music biopic seriously after that. I mean Elvis basically just copied the "Audience experiences sexual awakening watching Dewey play music" scene note for note.
Old 11-09-22, 03:41 PM

Experience the voice you know and discover the story you haven’t heard. Naomi Ackie is Whitney Houston in #IWannaDanceMovie – coming exclusively to movie theaters this Christmas.

I Wanna Dance with Somebody is a powerful and triumphant celebration of the incomparable Whitney Houston. Directed by Kasi Lemmons, written by Academy Award® nominee Anthony McCarten, produced by legendary music executive Clive Davis and starring BAFTA Award® winner Naomi Ackie, the film is a no-holds-barred portrait of the complex and multifaceted woman behind The Voice. From New Jersey choir girl to one of the best-selling and most awarded recording artists of all time, audiences are taken on an inspirational, poignant—and so emotional—journey through Houston’s trailblazing life and career, with show-stopping performances and a soundtrack of the icon’s most beloved hits as you’ve never heard them before. Don’t you wanna dance?

Directed by:
Kasi Lemmons

Written by:
Anthony McCarten

Produced by:
Anthony McCarten
Pat Houston
Clive Davis
Larry Mestel
Denis O’Sullivan
Jeff Kalligheri
Matt Jackson
Molly Smith
Trent Luckinbill
Thad Luckinbill
Matt Salloway
Christina Papagjika

Cast:
Naomi Ackie
Stanley Tucci
Ashton Sanders
Tamara Tunie
Nafessa Williams
and Clarke Peters
Old 11-09-22, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My love of Houston’s music will probably be enough to get me to see this but considering the way her life ended, I’m really not feeling the heroic figure they’re pushing for her in this movie.

And if they make Whitney and Bobby’s relationship some sort of fairy tale story, that’s going to go over like a lead balloon with me.
Old 11-09-22, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk God

There is no way in hell they will show Whitney's dark side in this movie. Especially how the trailer markets it as "This Holiday season" They are absolutely going to make this an inspirational story of rags to riches with minor bumps in the road.

I'm willing to bet that it's going to end on some inspirational performance in her later years and then it will go to black and have a title card that says something like "Whitney died on Feb 11, 2012. She solid 500M records and inspired so many all over the world" It's way too predictable.

Just like how Bohemian Rhapsody didn't show Freddie Mercury wasting away dying of AIDS.

Last edited by DJariya; 11-09-22 at 08:02 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by DJariya:
Brian T (12-12-22), GoldenJCJ (11-09-22), majorjoe23 (12-11-22)
Old 11-09-22, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

^ Yep!

I would bet money that it ends on her singing “I Will Always Love You”.

Last edited by GoldenJCJ; 11-09-22 at 08:31 PM.
DJariya (11-09-22)
Old 12-10-22, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Decker
And the movie title is terrible. Yes I know it's one of her most famous songs, but it's also about dancing, which the movie isn't.
They’ve now added “The Whitney Houston Movie” to all the marketing.
Old 12-10-22, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

^ It just rolls off the tongue, doesn’t it?
Old 12-10-22, 03:15 PM

Maybe named by the same brain trust that came up with this catchy original title :

Old 12-10-22, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk God

I’m thinking about passing on this. The 2017 Whitney documentary gave all the real facts about her life and career.

This just seems so vanilla and I have a feeling I’ll be rolling my eyes at how uplifting this will try to be.
Old 12-10-22, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya

This just seems so vanilla and I have a feeling I’ll be rolling my eyes at how uplifting this will try to be.
It's the year's best feel-good movie about crack addiction!
DJariya (12-10-22)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.