Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Untitled Ghostbusters sequel (2023)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Untitled Ghostbusters sequel (2023)

Old 04-28-22, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 518 Likes on 316 Posts
re: Untitled Ghostbusters sequel (2023)

I loved the animated series. Remember The New Jersey Parallelogram?
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (07-05-22)
Old 06-28-22, 11:31 AM

Received 2,867 Likes on 1,967 Posts
Re: Untitled Ghostbusters sequel (2023)

The Ghostbusters sequel to Ghostbusters: Afterlife that Sony teased at CinemaCon in a sizzle reel, and which director Jason Reitman and writer Gil Kenan confirmed on Ghostbusters Day, June 8, is getting a theatrical release of Wednesday, Dec. 20, 2023.

As hinted at in the end credits of Afterlife, the next chapter will return to the original films’ New York City and Firehouse setting.
https://deadline.com/2022/06/ghostbu...23-1235053366/
Old 06-28-22, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 460 Likes on 326 Posts

That's a pretty quick turn around.
Old 06-28-22, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 145 Likes on 106 Posts

Sounds good to me.
Old 06-28-22, 03:16 PM

Received 2,867 Likes on 1,967 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo View Post
That's a pretty quick turn around.
Filming some exteriors in NYC during the holidays 2022, release 2023. A Very Ghostbuster Christmas.
Old 06-28-22, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 3,227 Likes on 2,151 Posts

That seems like a quick turnaround for an effects-heavy movie.
Old 06-28-22, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 755 Likes on 615 Posts

I didnít really care for Afterlife, but Iím curious about the next one possibly being in New York again.
Old 06-28-22, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 771 Likes on 497 Posts

I wonder if they will make this one a comedy?
Old 06-28-22, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 206 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
I wonder if they will make this one a comedy?
Why wouldn't they? All Ghostbuster movies are comedies.
Old 06-28-22, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,927 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Originally Posted by Runaway View Post
If you didnít follow his previous comments on Afterlife, he thought it was dark and not funny at all.
Old 06-28-22, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,390 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
Filming some exteriors in NYC during the holidays 2022, release 2023. A Very Ghostbuster Christmas.
A Very Ghostbusters Christmas might have been good.

If they made it twenty-five years ago with the OG cast.
Old 06-29-22, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 771 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by Runaway View Post
I canít think of one funny moment in Afterlife. I sincerely hope they get back to what the original was like. Maybe a return to New York will help.
Old 07-01-22, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 518 Likes on 316 Posts

There was comedy in Afterlife. I don't think any of it landed.

If they MUST do another movie -- and I really wish they wouldn't -- give it to someone who can handle both the comedy and horror adroitly -- more comedy than horror, but just enough chills to give the material real stakes.

TBH the original Ghostbusters was lightning in a bottle. They keep chasing that movie without understanding it was that perfect convergence of the acting talents of Murray, Aykroyd, and Ramis, Aykroyd's script and worldbuilding, and Reitman's directing. Even Ray Parker Jr's theme song.

(The same goes for Back To The Future. The sequels, whatever you thought of them (big me from me), could never recapture anything remotely like the original)

You know what, just bring back the 80s cartoon.

Old 07-01-22, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 343 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post

If they MUST do another movie -- and I really wish they wouldn't -- give it to someone who can handle both the comedy and horror adroitly -- more comedy than horror, but just enough chills to give the material real stakes.

TBH the original Ghostbusters was lightning in a bottle. They keep chasing that movie without understanding it was that perfect convergence of the acting talents of Murray, Aykroyd, and Ramis, Aykroyd's script and worldbuilding, and Reitman's directing. Even Ray Parker Jr's theme song.

(The same goes for Back To The Future. The sequels, whatever you thought of them (big me from me), could never recapture anything remotely like the original)

You know what, just bring back the 80s cartoon.

I watched this last night and once again they were spot on. The first 2/3 of Afterlife was just ok but the last 20-30mins was a big mess. I donít think I cracked a smile once through the entire movie. Itís a joyless, commercial outing which doesnít have the magic of the first, I canít see how another would be any better.
Old 07-01-22, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,390 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
It was there. It was just a different kind of comedy. The OG Ghostbusters was 80s-style comedy of the kind found in Animal House. The snarky snobs-vs-slobs kind of stuff that was commonplace in that era. The comedy in Afterlife was more of shoe-gazing, PC millennial stuff. Did it work? Sort of. Would the old-school unPC humor ("It's true. This man has no dick.") have worked three decades later? I don't know.

Yes, that it was. It took the early 80s special effects-laden adventure with an underdog protagonist in the mold of Raiders of the Lost Ark and combined with SNL/Animal House-style humor, and made something that was very much of its time.

And, going by Ghostbusters II (and even Afterlife), they really didn't know how to make it work as a franchise. Ghostbusters II reset them from being heroes at the end of the first movie to underdogs at the start of the second. The pink slime wasn't a bad idea, but they felt the need to rehash the Marshmallow Man with the Statue of LIberty. And with Afterlife, we learned that the Ghostbusters fell apart because, after the big events of the movies, there weren't any ghosts left to bust.

In order to be a successful franchise, they needed to keep it moving forward, not constantly hitting the reset button. Ghostbusters II and III and IV should have featured them busting ghosts regularly offscreen, then use the movies for some kind of big battle against a world-ending foe. But, by Hollywood logic, they needed to be presented as perpetual underdogs and losers because that was the successful formula in the first movie.