Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire (2024, D: Kenan)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire (2024, D: Kenan)

Old 12-06-22, 03:56 PM
  #51  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 42,989
Received 1,573 Likes on 982 Posts
re: Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire (2024, D: Kenan)

Originally Posted by jjcool
And there isn't any reason to. Why call back to what was arguably a pretty terrible movie?
I think GB2016 was better than Afterlife - at least Answer the Call had jokes. And the critics agreed. Though the review-bombing dudes were real mad (look at the number of ratings from those scared little boys).


Old 12-06-22, 04:37 PM
  #52  
DVD Talk Legend
 
DaveyJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 19,326
Received 183 Likes on 127 Posts
re: Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire (2024, D: Kenan)

Critics are people, too. They're prone to biases just like the rest of us. With all of the controversy surrounding the 2016 film, it's hard to imagine people weren't factoring that into their opinion of the film, whether for or against it.
Old 12-06-22, 06:14 PM
  #53  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Toddarino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Northeastern Wisconsin
Posts: 4,434
Received 805 Likes on 532 Posts
re: Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire (2024, D: Kenan)

Originally Posted by Draven
I think GB2016 was better than Afterlife - at least Answer the Call had jokes. And the critics agreed. Though the review-bombing dudes were real mad (look at the number of ratings from those scared little boys).


It kind of sucks that the people that dislike 2016 for legitimate reasons get lumped in with the women hating basement dwellers.

The following 3 users liked this post by Toddarino:
bchbdaddy (12-07-22), dsa_shea (12-06-22), TGM (12-09-22)
Old 12-06-22, 07:48 PM
  #54  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 42,989
Received 1,573 Likes on 982 Posts
re: Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire (2024, D: Kenan)

Originally Posted by Toddarino
It kind of sucks that the people that dislike 2016 for legitimate reasons get lumped in with the women hating basement dwellers.
True, but there was a lot of denial that was happening when it was so obvious it was. Again, just look at the number of ratings. The Afterlife number is far more realistic as far as an audience score. A 95,000 difference?
Old 12-06-22, 07:55 PM
  #55  
DVD Talk Hero
 
GoldenJCJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Colorado
Posts: 26,949
Received 3,104 Likes on 2,009 Posts
re: Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire (2024, D: Kenan)

Originally Posted by Draven
True, but there was a lot of denial that was happening when it was so obvious it was. Again, just look at the number of ratings. The Afterlife number is far more realistic as far as an audience score. A 95,000 difference?
There’s also a 5 years difference in the two movies. Similar “fanboy” movies from 2016 are up to 100,000 ratings as well. Deadpool, SW: Rogue One, Justice League all have the same number of ratings. Heck, Kung Fu Panda 3 has 100,000+ ratings.

Of course this isn’t to discredit your original point. Toxic internet fanboys are the worst.
Old 12-07-22, 10:47 AM
  #56  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
jjcool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: CT
Posts: 7,671
Received 128 Likes on 102 Posts
re: Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire (2024, D: Kenan)

Originally Posted by Draven
I think GB2016 was better than Afterlife - at least Answer the Call had jokes. And the critics agreed. Though the review-bombing dudes were real mad (look at the number of ratings from those scared little boys).


Yeah, and the extra five years that it has been out has nothing to do with the extra reviews. Sure. Must be "scared little boys" that posted all those reviews, because there couldn't be any other reason that a film goer would dislike the movie other than toxic masculinity.
Old 12-07-22, 11:03 AM
  #57  
DVD Talk Hero
 
GoldenJCJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Colorado
Posts: 26,949
Received 3,104 Likes on 2,009 Posts
re: Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire (2024, D: Kenan)

Ghostbusters 2016 wasn’t THAT bad of a movie to warrant all the vitriol it received. It’s also not a very good movie.

My biggest problem with it, aside from not being very funny or utilizing the original cast well at all, was that it didn’t play by its own rules. They talk about the ghost traps and how to use them. They’re basically sticking with the original idea of trapping ghosts. Then at the end, Kate McKinnon pulls out her proton pistols and just starts zapping ghosts out of the air.

The ghost effects also looked out of place. Like they belonged more on a live-action Scooby Doo movie than a Ghostbusters movie.

And yeah, Kate McKinnon was definitely the best part of the movie, making a bold choice of channeling the cartoon Egon, that paid off well.
The following users liked this post:
Shannon Nutt (12-09-22)
Old 12-07-22, 11:17 AM
  #58  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 42,989
Received 1,573 Likes on 982 Posts
re: Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire (2024, D: Kenan)

Originally Posted by jjcool
Yeah, and the extra five years that it has been out has nothing to do with the extra reviews. Sure. Must be "scared little boys" that posted all those reviews, because there couldn't be any other reason that a film goer would dislike the movie other than toxic masculinity.
If you don't think there was a concerted effort from toxic men to review-bomb that movie, then I don't know what to tell you.

And I stand by my statements - and more critics agreed with me that Answer the Call was better than Afterlife
Old 12-07-22, 12:07 PM
  #59  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Runaway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 1,734
Received 393 Likes on 316 Posts
re: Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire (2024, D: Kenan)

I'm actually surprised how anyone could think Ghostbusters (2016) is better than Afterlife. To me 2016 is barely a movie. At least 3 of the Ghostbusters are the same character, the whole improve shows, so the script isn't very good and the dialogue and comedy just loud. I do think Kate McKinnon did a good job and Chris Hemsworth was OK, but that's about it. I don't think the actresses were the problem. Paul Feig is the movie's problem. His style of comedy can be reduced to Melissa McCarthy shitting in a bathroom sink and that's not remotely funny otherwise Nomadland would have been a comedy.
Old 12-07-22, 12:22 PM
  #60  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 42,989
Received 1,573 Likes on 982 Posts
re: Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire (2024, D: Kenan)

Originally Posted by Runaway
I'm actually surprised how anyone could think Ghostbusters (2016) is better than Afterlife. To me 2016 is barely a movie. At least 3 of the Ghostbusters are the same character, the whole improve shows, so the script isn't very good and the dialogue and comedy just loud. I do think Kate McKinnon did a good job and Chris Hemsworth was OK, but that's about it. I don't think the actresses were the problem. Paul Feig is the movie's problem. His style of comedy can be reduced to Melissa McCarthy shitting in a bathroom sink and that's not remotely funny otherwise Nomadland would have been a comedy.
Paul Fieg has directed some of the best comedy of the past 20 years, including Bridesmaids, 30 Rock, Parks and Rec, The Office, Freaks and Geeks and Arrested Development.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (12-07-22)
Old 12-08-22, 02:37 AM
  #61  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Runaway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 1,734
Received 393 Likes on 316 Posts
re: Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire (2024, D: Kenan)

Originally Posted by Draven
Paul Fieg has directed some of the best comedy of the past 20 years, including Bridesmaids, 30 Rock, Parks and Rec, The Office, Freaks and Geeks and Arrested Development.
I wouldn't count most of TV shows. Those are in the hands of the showrunners and Bridesmaids was unfunny garbage too, like I said Melissa McCarthy shitting in a sink. I give you Freaks and Geeks, which wasn't even in the last 20 years.
Old 12-08-22, 10:22 AM
  #62  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 42,989
Received 1,573 Likes on 982 Posts
re: Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire (2024, D: Kenan)

Originally Posted by Runaway
I wouldn't count most of TV shows. Those are in the hands of the showrunners and Bridesmaids was unfunny garbage too, like I said Melissa McCarthy shitting in a sink. I give you Freaks and Geeks, which wasn't even in the last 20 years.
You're in the minority on your Bridesmaids opinion. And he was one of the original directors of The Office and helped set the tone for the show. I think you are discounting his accomplishments in comedy too easily.
Old 12-08-22, 10:52 AM
  #63  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 11,288
Received 281 Likes on 206 Posts
re: Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire (2024, D: Kenan)

Originally Posted by Draven
You're in the minority on your Bridesmaids opinion. And he was one of the original directors of The Office and helped set the tone for the show. I think you are discounting his accomplishments in comedy too easily.
Agree. "Bridesmaids" was hilarious and far from garbage. Speaking of those women hating basement dwellers, when I saw the trailer for "Ghostbusters: Afterlife" in the theater last Fall, a guy in his early 20's that was sitting in front of me shouted out "Thank God it's not an all-female cast this time". And I shouted out "Grow the fuck up".
The following users liked this post:
JeremyM (12-09-22)
Old 12-08-22, 11:32 AM
  #64  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
jjcool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: CT
Posts: 7,671
Received 128 Likes on 102 Posts
re: Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire (2024, D: Kenan)

Originally Posted by Draven
If you don't think there was a concerted effort from toxic men to review-bomb that movie, then I don't know what to tell you.

And I stand by my statements - and more critics agreed with me that Answer the Call was better than Afterlife
So, again, you're saying that the only reason someone has to think it was a bad movie is they are "toxic men". Got it. And where exactly did I say that there was not a concerted effort to "review bomb" the movie?
Well, seems like many others agreed that it was a shitty movie, otherwise we'd be getting a sequel to that rather than the Rudd film.
Old 12-08-22, 12:34 PM
  #65  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Runaway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 1,734
Received 393 Likes on 316 Posts
re: Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire (2024, D: Kenan)

Originally Posted by Draven
You're in the minority on your Bridesmaids opinion. And he was one of the original directors of The Office and helped set the tone for the show. I think you are discounting his accomplishments in comedy too easily.
Being in the minority shouldn't be a problem, I do remember a single voice in the Andor thread.

Perhaps Paul Feig just isn't for me. I do think he uses vulgarity and prophantity for easy jokes, way to often. Noise trumps nuance, in his movies. There is definitely an audience for that kind of humor, I'm not it. That being said, I still think he shouldn't have relied on the improv, especially not if three actress are kind of the same character.
Old 12-08-22, 12:52 PM
  #66  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 42,989
Received 1,573 Likes on 982 Posts
re: Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire (2024, D: Kenan)

Originally Posted by jjcool
So, again, you're saying that the only reason someone has to think it was a bad movie is they are "toxic men". Got it. And where exactly did I say that there was not a concerted effort to "review bomb" the movie?
I was responding to this:

Sure. Must be "scared little boys" that posted all those reviews, because there couldn't be any other reason that a film goer would dislike the movie other than toxic masculinity.
You seemed to be discounting that that toxic masculinity was the reason for the absurdly low audience score (especially when compared to the critics' scores). You can see the same thing on the YouTube trailer too. There's a difference between "I didn't like this movie" and "this movie was so upsetting to me for SOME REASON that I participate in an organized quest to bomb the rating".

These is within the first page of comments on the 2016 movie's YouTube trailer:
  • C'mon guys we're almost to 500,000 dislikes we can do this
  • I am sorry but using women disrespects the original. Nothing against women.
  • I can't believe Sony left this up. Even detectives eventually clean up the scene of death after a murder.
  • For those of you who can't see it in the future when YouTube hides it, the like/dislike ratio is currently 321k/1.1M, and I proudly added my own dislike.
Yes, these seem like rational responses to a movie trailer.

Well, seems like many others agreed that it was a shitty movie, otherwise we'd be getting a sequel to that rather than the Rudd film.
Well, the critics thought Answer the Call was better. But who knows, maybe they'll put some jokes in the sequel. That would be a nice change of pace!

Originally Posted by Runaway
Being in the minority shouldn't be a problem, I do remember a single voice in the Andor thread. .
I certainly can have an opinion that goes out of the mainstream. Nothing wrong with that for anyone. But I also expected that blowback because both critics and audiences loved Andor. The response to Answer the Call and Afterlife wasn't nearly as clear-cut or positive, and when I say that I think Answer the Call is a better movie of the two, I also have the critics agreeing with me.

Last edited by Draven; 12-08-22 at 01:02 PM.
Old 12-08-22, 01:37 PM
  #67  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Runaway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 1,734
Received 393 Likes on 316 Posts
re: Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire (2024, D: Kenan)

Originally Posted by Draven
I certainly can have an opinion that goes out of the mainstream. Nothing wrong with that for anyone. But I also expected that blowback because both critics and audiences loved Andor. The response to Answer the Call and Afterlife wasn't nearly as clear-cut or positive, and when I say that I think Answer the Call is a better movie of the two, I also have the critics agreeing with me.
Like I said initially I'm just suprised someone liked the movie. I know one person who liked it and she has a terrible taste in movies. I do agree with you, that the audience score for Answer The Call is poisened and while I didn't like the movie, it wasn't the the worst ever either. Bridesmaids isn't either, garbage was a bit strong, like Paul Feig, I didn't find the nuance, but Answer the Call made it easy for the haters, since it just wasn't good. Wonder Woman killed the discussion about female super heroes can't be successful and good, by being both. I really wanted the movie to be good just to shut up the toxic loud mouths, I just didn't like the movie.
While I think the audience score is tainted, I'm not sure the critics score isn't either. I think it's possible there is an over correction in reaction to the toxicity.
Afterlife I liked, but again I'm with you regarding the comedy. The movie wasn't a comedy it was a light hearted coming-of-age movie set in the world of the Ghostbusters. It was a different genre, but to me still a fine movie, although I did expect more from it, too.
The following users liked this post:
Draven (12-08-22)
Old 12-09-22, 11:47 AM
  #68  
DVD Talk Legend
 
DaveyJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 19,326
Received 183 Likes on 127 Posts
re: Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire (2024, D: Kenan)

Originally Posted by Runaway
While I think the audience score is tainted, I'm not sure the critics score isn't either. I think it's possible there is an over correction in reaction to the toxicity.
.

Old 12-09-22, 12:07 PM
  #69  
DVD Talk Legend
 
milo bloom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Chicago suburbs
Posts: 18,185
Received 1,354 Likes on 1,001 Posts
re: Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire (2024, D: Kenan)

As we've said numerous times already: Kate McKinnon was funny, the rest not so much. She could probably be funny reading the phone book.
Old 12-09-22, 12:07 PM
  #70  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 42,989
Received 1,573 Likes on 982 Posts
re: Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire (2024, D: Kenan)

Is the implication there that women haven't been traditionally called "not funny" when compared to men?
Old 12-09-22, 01:16 PM
  #71  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Shannon Nutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 18,330
Received 313 Likes on 234 Posts
re: Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire (2024, D: Kenan)

The lead in Afterlife is female. The idea that Ghostbuster 2016's unpopularity had to do with female leads has always been, well...laughable. The movie is horribly written, and that's on MALE writer/director Feig.
Old 12-09-22, 01:43 PM
  #72  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
jjcool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: CT
Posts: 7,671
Received 128 Likes on 102 Posts
re: Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire (2024, D: Kenan)

Originally Posted by Draven
I was responding to this:
But you didn't respond to it. You seemed to think that the only reason someone would have to dislike the 2016 movie is because of toxic masculinity. I've never discounted that there was some toxic masculinity that lead to some of the negative reviews. You seem to be taking it as fact that ALL of the negative reviews were due to toxic masculinity.
Old 12-09-22, 02:11 PM
  #73  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Runaway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 1,734
Received 393 Likes on 316 Posts
re: Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire (2024, D: Kenan)

The 2016 movie cost double of what Afterlife cost, made not that much more and wasn't released during a pandemic and didn't carry the weight of a botched reboot 5 years prior to its release.
Even if you discard the audience score, the audience wasn't that interested in the movie. It made less than Assassin's Creed or Turtles 2 and much less than The Legend of Tarzan or Independence Day: Resurgence. Afterlife was in Top 25 of last year's box office 2016 barely made the top 40. That's not due to toxic masculinity.
Old 12-09-22, 04:10 PM
  #74  
DVD Talk Legend
 
milo bloom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Chicago suburbs
Posts: 18,185
Received 1,354 Likes on 1,001 Posts
re: Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire (2024, D: Kenan)

Originally Posted by Runaway
The 2016 movie cost double of what Afterlife cost, made not that much more and wasn't released during a pandemic and didn't carry the weight of a botched reboot 5 years prior to its release.
Even if you discard the audience score, the audience wasn't that interested in the movie. It made less than Assassin's Creed or Turtles 2 and much less than The Legend of Tarzan or Independence Day: Resurgence. Afterlife was in Top 25 of last year's box office 2016 barely made the top 40. That's not due to toxic masculinity.
You can't discount how long people hold grudges against specific entries in franchises. When the new Planet of the Apes movies was announced (around 2009 or so) people immediately began asking if it was a sequel to the 2001 Tim Burton movie. There's still people that hold a grudge against The Phantom Menace from 1999 and of course The Last Jedi still gets flack.

I would say a not insignificant amount of people did not bother seeing Afterlife because of ATC.
Old 12-09-22, 05:36 PM
  #75  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 42,989
Received 1,573 Likes on 982 Posts
re: Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire (2024, D: Kenan)

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
The lead in Afterlife is female. The idea that Ghostbuster 2016's unpopularity had to do with female leads has always been, well...laughable. The movie is horribly written, and that's on MALE writer/director Feig.
There were concerted efforts by groups on the internet to review-bomb that movie. One of the running complaints in the review thread on this board was that women couldn't carry proton packs. C'mon.

Originally Posted by jjcool
But you didn't respond to it. You seemed to think that the only reason someone would have to dislike the 2016 movie is because of toxic masculinity. I've never discounted that there was some toxic masculinity that lead to some of the negative reviews. You seem to be taking it as fact that ALL of the negative reviews were due to toxic masculinity.
Please indicate where I said ALL of the negative reviews were due to toxic masculinity. But considering the movie had a flood of negative reviews before release, I'm thinking it was more than their performances and the script at play here.

Link

As you probably recall, the trailer for Paul Feig’s Ghostbusters became the most disliked movie trailer in YouTube history thanks to a certain contingency of very vocal fans of Ivan Reitman’s original film. It would appear that those fans are at it again, this time taking to IMDb, where they’re spamming the ratings for Feig’s reboot to ensure it has a low user score. Unsurprisingly, the majority of voters are men between the ages of 18 and 44. And while the exact point of this little exercise in anti-Ghostbusters activism is unclear, what is apparent is that these guys aren’t letting this whole thing go anytime soon.Update: Our own Matt Singer checked the IMDb page and found that there have been 700 more ratings of 1 / 10 since we posted this article. The page updates once a day, so it might not actually be too bad, but this is still pretty troubling

If you head over to the IMDb page for Feig’s Ghostbusters reboot, you’ll notice that the film has a user rating of 3.6 out of 10, which isn’t the lowest rating on the site — that honor belongs to a Turkish film from 2015 called Code Name: K.O.Z. (rating: 1.5), followed closely by Kirk Cameron’s faith-based family comedy Saving Christmas (rating: 1.6). But what makes the Ghostbusters rating particularly notable is that the film doesn’t even hit theaters until this weekend, and most of the early promo screenings for the general public aren’t taking place until sometime this week.

…Which means most of these people are rating the new Ghostbusters without seeing it first. I suppose that shouldn’t be terribly surprising, since many of the people giving Feig’s reboot a low rating are presumably the same people who drove up the dislikes on YouTube and who have been very vocal in their disdain for an all-female take on their beloved Ghostbusters.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.