Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Best/Worst scenes of fake musicians "playing"...

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Best/Worst scenes of fake musicians "playing"...

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-22, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Re: Best/Worst scenes of fake musicians "playing"...

Originally Posted by Decker
Cameron Crowe sent his actors to "Rock & Roll Camp" to get instructions from Peter Frampton and Ann Wilson on how to appear to be a competent musician before shooting Almost Famous. Think it was a good idea and worked pretty well.
First movie that came to mind. Of course it's one of my favorite movies and I just watched it again last week.

Also, apparently the character Russell Hammond was written for Brad Pitt who spent months developing the character before ultimately bailing which led to Billy Crudup landing the role. This explains two lines that have nagged at me forever. First, Jeff Bebe (Jason Lee) yelling at Hammond that "your looks are becoming a problem," which was always just an odd insult to close out a heated argument. Now picture pretty boy Pitt in the role and it suddenly makes sense for a grungy hard rock band to not want a pretty guy distracting from the music. It also makes the "blurry out of focus" band t-shirt gag even more relevant. Second, the "I'm a golden god!" line from Hammond at the teen's party. Just a fun line by a guy that has an over inflated view of himself. It works. Now picture a ripped & tan Pitt with blonde locks and it makes even more sense.

Anyway, I just read this recently so it thought it would be fun to share to those that hadn't heard that trivia bit yet.
The following users liked this post:
GoldenJCJ (04-18-22)
Old 04-18-22, 11:30 PM

Received 1,906 Likes on 1,125 Posts

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy
So what are some terrible and good examples of "bands" in movies?
Originally Posted by Paff
There was a Mystery Science Theater 3000 outing, I'm thinking The Wild Rebels (but possibly Catalina Caper) where they asked how the band was able to fade out in a live performance.
Old 04-19-22, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,185 Likes on 4,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
First movie that came to mind. Of course it's one of my favorite movies and I just watched it again last week.

Also, apparently the character Russell Hammond was written for Brad Pitt who spent months developing the character before ultimately bailing which led to Billy Crudup landing the role. This explains two lines that have nagged at me forever. First, Jeff Bebe (Jason Lee) yelling at Hammond that "your looks are becoming a problem," which was always just an odd insult to close out a heated argument. Now picture pretty boy Pitt in the role and it suddenly makes sense for a grungy hard rock band to not want a pretty guy distracting from the music. It also makes the "blurry out of focus" band t-shirt gag even more relevant. Second, the "I'm a golden god!" line from Hammond at the teen's party. Just a fun line by a guy that has an over inflated view of himself. It works. Now picture a ripped & tan Pitt with blonde locks and it makes even more sense.

Anyway, I just read this recently so it thought it would be fun to share to those that hadn't heard that trivia bit yet.
I mean Crudup isn't exactly unattractive himself. And the Golden God line was a direct quote from Robert Plant. If you've watched the commentary, and I assume you have, you'll recall the story of Crowe showing the film early to Plant and in the part where Russell reads the Rolling Stone article and says "I never said 'I am a Golden God'... did I?", in the screening room Plant shouted "I did!".
The following 2 users liked this post by Decker:
cultshock (04-20-22), Michael Corvin (04-19-22)
Old 04-19-22, 03:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Besides the 1-877-KARS-4-KIDS commercial?

Have to go with all 3 girls in "Josie and the Pussycats," especially Tara. Just all kinds of levels of bad.

And on the flip side, Russell Crowe and Paul Bettany really learned how to play their instruments in "Master & Commander." Crowe called learning the violin the toughest challenge he'd ever had.
Old 04-19-22, 04:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Ralph Macchio did great in Crossroads. That's a wild final solo and for someone who doesn't play the guitar, he sure faked it good.
Old 04-19-22, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

It doesn't take me out of the film, because it's still a fun raunchy film but the non-musicians in Rockstar. Also the shitty indy band in Whip It - I think the lead singer of that becomes Page's love interest?
Old 04-19-22, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 977 Likes on 688 Posts

In the movie it's technically a music video and not a performance, but Jim Carrey doing Welcome to the Jungle in The Dead Pool is certainly a choice.

Also, since it was mentioned in the Clint Eastwood thread, Mario Van Peebles rocking out in Heartbreak Ridge comes to mind. I couldn't find the clip with music intact on YouTube so I can't honestly say it's as bad as I remember it, but I'm going to assume it is.
Old 04-19-22, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Not a movie but this clip was circulating on reddit this weekend and it had my dying:

Old 04-19-22, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

The scene in Moonraker where Hugo Drax plays the piano has bugged me for over 40 years. What I find interesting is there are people that say it syncs up perfectly with the music. I maintain not only does it look fake, but it looks SO fake I question whether the scene is deliberately shot in a way to show us he's faking it.

Old 04-19-22, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,185 Likes on 4,213 Posts

That movie ends with a couple fucking in space in zero gravity, with a blanket carefully and discretely draped over them, and the piano playing is what you have an issue with?
Old 04-20-22, 05:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

I'm still blown away by the fact that the girl who liked Jaws didn't have braces.
Old 04-20-22, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

The long forgotten 1988 movie "Satisfaction", which features a teenage girl bar band. (It featured Julia Roberts and Liam Neeson, before they were A-list stars).

Hard to suspend disbelief seeing a bar band which sounds like they're playing with "studio perfection".

If one has been to enough concerts either at small nightclubs/bars or stadiums, it is quite rare to hear anything played with "studio perfection".
Old 04-20-22, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 977 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
That movie ends with a couple fucking in space in zero gravity, with a blanket carefully and discretely draped over them, and the piano playing is what you have an issue with?
The thread is about worst fake music performances and not worst scenes of zero gravity sex, so it would've been kind of weird had he brought that up.
​​​​​