Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Decision to Leave (2022, D: Park Chan-wook)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 04-14-22, 07:30 AM

Received 3,245 Likes on 2,205 Posts

Renowned filmmaker Park Chan-wook’s latest film “Decision to Leave” has been invited to compete at the 75th Cannes Film Festival.

It’s Park’s first film after a six-year hiatus since “The Handmaiden,” which was released in 2016.

“Decision to Leave” is about a police detective who finds himself attracted to a mysterious widow after she becomes the prime suspect in his latest murder investigation.

Actors Park Hae-il, Tang Wei, Lee Jung-hyun, Go Kyung-pyo and Park Yong-woo feature in the film.

Park is no stranger to Cannes: his 2003 film “Oldboy” won the Grand Prix at the 57th edition and 2009 film “Thirst” won Prix du Jury at the 62nd edition.

At the 72nd edition in 2019, director Bong Joon-ho’s “Parasite” made cinematic history for Korea after receiving the highest honor — the Palme d’Or. The film went on to win four Oscars including Best Picture and Best Director the following year.

The 75th edition of Cannes will run from May 17 to 28.
Old 04-28-22, 11:33 AM

Re: Decision to Leave (2022, D: Park Chan-wook)

EXCLUSIVE: Park Chan-wook’s anticipated Cannes Competition title Decision to Leave has sold to arthouse streamer, theatrical distributor and producer Mubi in what we understand to be the company’s biggest film deal to date.

Mubi, which has made waves in the past 12 months for its voracious appetite for significant festival movies and its acquisition of German sales firm The Match Factory, has picked up Decision to Leave for North America, the UK, Ireland, Turkey, and India.

The film will be released theatrically in the U.S. and the UK with a fall 2022 date planned, followed by an exclusive Mubi streaming release. Parasite outfit CJ is handling international sales and negotiated the deal with the growing arthouse player.

Korean-language thriller Decision to Leave charts the aftermath of a man falling from a mountain peak to his death. The detective in charge of the investigation, Hae-joon, comes to meet the dead man’s wife Seo-rae. When she becomes a suspect, Hae-joon finds himself slowly developing an interest in her.

Produced by Park’s Moho Film, the film stars Tang Wei (Lust, Caution) and Park Hae-il (The Host).

Among the most celebrated directors of the last 20 years, Park returns to Cannes for the fourth time with Decision to Leave, widely regarded as one of the most anticipated premieres of the festival.

Park was previously at Cannes with Grand Prix winner Oldboy (2003), Thirst (2009) and The Handmaiden (2016), which all world-premiered at the festival. Park is also known for Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance (2002), Sympathy for Lady Vengeance (2005), Stoker (2013, starring Nicole Kidman and Mia Wasikowska), and his TV series The Little Drummer Girl (2018).
https://deadline.com/2022/04/mubi-pa...al-1235011902/
Old 05-10-22, 09:44 AM

Old 05-10-22, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 240 Likes on 188 Posts

This looks intriguing. Nice to see Tang Wei back in Korean cinema after such a long gap after LATE AUTUMN. She's been in a number of interesting roles over the years in spite of the CCP's petty treatment of her after Ang Lee's LUST, CAUTION and on >gag< THE FOUNDING OF A PARTY. I'm probably in the minority that actually didn't mind BLACK HAT and her role in that one. Apparently she has another Korean film, a sci-fi picture called WONDERLAND, in the can, directed by her husband Kim Tae-Yong – his first feature since LATE AUTUMN in 2010 (!). Curious to see that one too.
Old 05-10-22, 11:33 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 607 Likes on 521 Posts

i'll see anything foreign (didn't dig Stoker) by Chan-wook and this looks great.
Old 05-24-22, 10:18 AM

Reviews from Cannes: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/decision_to_leave
Old 09-15-22, 01:19 PM

Winner of Best Director at the 2022 Cannes Film Festival, Park Chan-wook (Oldboy, The Handmaiden) returns with a seductive romantic thriller that takes his renowned stylistic flair to dizzying new heights.

In theaters in US & Canada October 14.
In cinemas in UK and Ireland October 21, with previews from October 15.

Coming soon to streaming in the US, Canada, UK, Ireland, India and Turkey. A MUBI Release.
Old 11-11-22, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 608 Likes on 426 Posts

Anyone see this? It randomly popped up at my local AMC this week and I checked it out. Much to my disappointment I fell asleep through much of the second half. It was the kind of thing where I knew I was starting to nod off, but thought I pulled it together only to get to the end and realize I didn't know what was going on. And it had nothing to do with the movie, it just wasn't the right time for me. Anyway, I came home and through the magic of the internet I was able to "find" a copy and watched the parts I missed.

Don't go in expecting a Vengeance trilogy style thriller. This is a romance story within the confines of a police procedural. That's not to say the genre elements aren't satisfying, but the relationships between the characters are the important thing. I don't think I've seen a Park movie since Lady Vengeance, but this did remind me a bit of his BBC Little Drummer Girl miniseries. The narrative is somewhat fragmented and there are lots of moments where characters are either flashing back or imagining moments they themselves didn't witness, but it's not always immediately clear that's what you're watching. It can be a little confusing if you're not fully locked in (or asleep as the case may have been) and the version I watched at home had terrible subtitles that at times made no sense. There's also a lot of language stuff with some characters speaking Chinese that doesn't totally come through if you don't speak Korean or Chinese, or at the very least are able to audibly discern when someone is speaking one vs. the other. All that is to say is that I didn't exactly have the ideal viewing experience and I'm not sure I followed all of the details and nuance. I'm still mulling over what happened and why. I did like it though. Tang Wei, who plays the lead female, is incredibly bewitching. I hadn't seen her since Lust, Caution. And the movie is beautiful to look at. Overall I'd definitely recommend it. I don't know if it'll make my top 10 this year, but it's definitely in the top 20. I probably need to see it again under better circumstances.
Old 11-11-22, 09:09 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 925 Likes on 662 Posts

^ I saw it in a cinema and while it was fine, it's not one I think will merit many repeat viewings, if any. It's serviceable as a romantic story / police procedural, sure. Not disappointing or bad, but just ok.
Old 11-12-22, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 283 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
^ I saw it in a cinema and while it was fine, it's not one I think will merit many repeat viewings, if any. It's serviceable as a romantic story / police procedural, sure. Not disappointing or bad, but just ok.
Saw this last weekend and had similar feelings about the film.
Old 11-14-22, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 775 Likes on 597 Posts

Saw a post somewhere that this is coming to Blu-ray next month.
Old 11-21-22, 09:38 AM

Old 11-22-22, 02:23 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 607 Likes on 521 Posts

Nice!!!!!