Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Bones And All (2022, D: Guadagnino) S: Chalamet, Russell

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 03-22-22, 05:17 PM

Received 3,240 Likes on 2,203 Posts

In the wake of being acquired by Amazon, MGM has made its first bold theatrical move, picking up worldwide distribution rights to Oscar-nominated filmmaker Luca Guadagnino’s first U.S.-set feature film, Bones and All. Timothée Chalamet, Taylor Russell, Mark Rylance, André Holland, Jessica Harper, Michael Stuhlbarg, David Gordon-Green, Francesca Scorsese and Chloë Sevigny star.

Directed by Guadagnino and written by his longtime collaborator David Kajganich (Suspiria, A Bigger Splash), the pic is adapted from the Camille DeAngelis novel. The pic reps a reteam with Guadagnino and his Call Me by Your Name actors Chalamet and Stuhlbarg.

The movie is a story of first love between Maren (Russell), a young woman learning how to survive on the margins of society, and Lee (Chalamet), an intense and disenfranchised drifter, as they meet and join together for a thousand-mile odyssey which takes them through the back roads, hidden passages and trap doors of Ronald Reagan’s America. But despite their best efforts, all roads lead back to their terrifying pasts and to a final stand that will determine whether their love can survive their otherness.

Said Michael De Luca, MGM Film Group Chairman and Pam Abdy, MGM Film Group President: “Since his earliest days, Luca has been obsessed with movies, which makes him a kindred spirit to us both. We have long admired his devotion to the kind of cinema that is both admired and passionately discussed by moviegoing audiences. He is the rare filmmaker whose two-decades long career has spanned countless genres and subjects, and throughout he has remained true to his unique vision. We are equally thrilled to be working with Timothée, Taylor, Mark and this outstanding ensemble cast whose work in Bones and All will be a must see on the big screen.”

Said Guadagnino: “I am delighted that MGM, a studio that so clearly loves filmmakers and respects bold vision, is going to bring my movie into the world and that the amazing work of Timothée, Taylor, Mark and the rest of the cast will be seen in theaters. Bones and All could not be in better hands with Kevin Ulrich, Mike De Luca and Pam Abdy at the helm. I am truly proud to be associated with the iconic lion that has roared at the start of so many of my favorite films over the decades.”

The movie was shot in the Ohio Tri-State area in the spring of 2021. We’re hearing that Bones and All likely will not make its way to Cannes Film Festival in time for a world premiere.

Guadagnino’s Call Me by Your Name was nominated for four Oscars, including Best Picture, and won for James Ivory’s Best Adapted Screenplay. The pic blasted off the career of Chalamet as a leading star, the actor landing a Best Actor Oscar nom for the pic back in 2018. Guadagnino’s next movie after Call Me by Your Name was the remake of Dario Argento’s horror giallo, Suspiria, which was released by Amazon in theaters, and starred Dakota Johnson, Tilda Swinton and Chloe Grace Moretz.

MGM during the pandemic has delivered some solid adult movies at the box office including the Oscar-nominated House of Gucci, which made over $156M WW and $53.8M at the domestic B.O., and the Channing Tatum family movie, Dog, which has racked up $54.4M. Even its three-time Oscar nominated Licorice Pizza has been a bright spot for specialty cinemas with a $17M domestic gross (near $30M WW), a result that’s significantly better than other indie distrib rivals’ titles.

Bones and All is a Frenesy Film Company and Per Capita Productions title in association with The Apartment Pictures – a Fremantle company, Memo Films and 3 Marys Entertainment. The movie is produced by Guadagnino, Theresa Park, Francesco Melzi d’Eril, Dave Kaiganich, Marco Morabito, Lorenzo Mieli, Gabriele Moratti and Peter Spears. The movie is executive produced by Giovanni Corrado, Raffaella Viscardi, Marco Colombo and Moreno Zani.

The film’s financiers are the Italian companies The Apartment Pictures (a Fremantle Company), 3 Marys Entertainment, Memo Films, Tenderstories, Elafilm, Excelsa, Serfis and Wise Pictures.

The pic’s sale was handled by WME on behalf of Frenesy Film Company, The Apartment Pictures (a Fremantle Company), Memo Films and 3 Marys Entertainment. Vision Distribution will distribute the movie in Italy.
https://deadline.com/2022/03/timothe...on-1234984057/
Old 08-10-22, 05:32 PM

Re: Bones And All (2022, D: Guadagnino) S: Chalamet, Russell

Old 08-11-22, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 306 Likes on 209 Posts

Fuck yeah.
Old 09-29-22, 12:00 PM

Festival reviews are very strong: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/bones_and_all

I'm seeing this one next week.

Last edited by dex14; 09-29-22 at 12:08 PM.
Old 10-05-22, 05:10 PM

Old 10-05-22, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts

I almost hate to say it, but this has become one of my Most anticipated films of the fall.
Old 10-09-22, 08:25 AM

This was really good. Kind of like Raw or Thirst via a road movie. Great performances from Chalamet, Russell, and Rylance. Rylance was creepy as hell. Guadagnino is one of the best working today.
I think festival crowds are overhyping this a bit, but it is definitely worth checking out.
Old 10-09-22, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 283 Likes on 235 Posts

I've been seeing the trailer for this film quite frequently in theaters.

Gives off a Near Dark (1987) vibe. Definitely going to check it out.
Old 11-21-22, 07:26 AM

This expands to a wide release on Wednesday.

Old 11-25-22, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 283 Likes on 235 Posts

Saw this last night.

It runs a bit long but I enjoyed it.

Fantastic performances from Timothee Chalamet & Mark Rylance.

I also appreciated the use of violence/gore in the film, which echo a lot of visual aesthetics of Trouble Every Day (2001).
Old 11-25-22, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 228 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore View Post

Gives off a Near Dark (1987) vibe. Definitely going to check it out.
I was shocked by the trailer after seeing that awful poster all month. Really looking forward to checking this out, hopefully tomorrow.
The following users liked this post:
asianxcore (11-26-22)
Old 11-25-22, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 651 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post

My wife and I were supposed to have a date night tonight, but since Glass Onion wasn't playing, we couldn't find anything we agreed on to see.

I assumed this was some Oscar-contender romance flick by the cast, poster, and blurb on the AMC app. She shot it down since she had never heard of it.

I watched the theatrical trailer first and was curious, so I hit play on this one. I stopped that trailer less than a minute in ... I don't want to know anything more. Looks like I was VERY wrong and I am so "in" now.

Was thinking about going to see The Menu tomorrow ... don't think so now.
Old 11-26-22, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 228 Likes on 164 Posts

Was the only person in the theatre seeing this today, but to be fair it was uncharacteristically warm today, so maybe people were more interested in being outside than going to a movie.

I thought the movie was haunting. I figured right away it must be based on a novel because every scene was so rich in detail, and the characters were all so strong. It's large part a road trip movie, so the story is episodic, but they're all great episodes.

I was fascinated by Sully's ethics,
Spoiler:
the idea of not killing people, just seeking out the weak and alone and waiting for them to pass before eating them. That woman stroked out on the floor, for two days, slowly and painfully dying. You start feeling like it would be better for him to just kill her instead of allowing her to die naturally

Didn't pick up until the end credits the score was by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross, which I guess means this isn't the kind of music I normally associate with their scores. Thought it was a little funny that they credited the original song THREE DIFFERENT TIMES in the end credits.

The violence is plentiful and gruesome. I winced a few times, as this isn't stylized horror movie gore, but realistic depictions like you'd get in a serious crime movie.

Funny seeing a movie with both Mark Rylance and Chole Sevigny.