Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Play-Doh: The Movie (D: Jon M. Chu)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-22, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Nope, not a joke. From the director of In the Heights, comes Play-Doh

https://deadline.com/2022/03/play-do...ie-1234981605/

EXCLUSIVE: Play-Doh, the popular children’s play compound, will be coming to a theater near you at some point in the future as eOne and Hasbro mount an animated feature which The Big Sick Oscar nominated scribe Emily V. Gordon will pen and Jon M. Chu will produce, with an eye to direct.

“The team looks forward to bringing the audience a moldable, pliable, iconically-scented story about the importance of imagination,” stated Chu and Gordon.

Play-Doh is the No. 1 arts & crafts toy brand and is sold in 80+ countries.

Lance Johnson and Jane Lee will oversee through Chu’s Electric Somewhere banner. Gordon will also executive produce. Jillian Share, Chanel Vidal, and Steven Holster will oversee for eOne.

Play-Doh reps the latest package from eOne to pair star talent with Hasbro’s iconic toy properties. Since the acquisition of eOne by Hasbro in 2019, which brought the development of content for their beloved brands in-house, the company has been ramping up production on a slate of toy and game projects across both film and TV including wrapping production on Paramount’s Dungeons & Dragons, which is set for release on March 3, 2023. Jonathan Goldstein and John Francis Daley directed with a cast that includes Chris Pine, Regé-Jean Page, Hugh Grant, and Michelle Rodriguez.

There’s also the latest installments of the multi-billion-dollar Transformers franchise which includes a live action film directed by Steven Caple set to be released on June 23, 2023, and an animated spinoff helmed by Josh Cooley slated for July 19, 2024. On the feature side there’s been six Transformers movies and related spinoffs grossing $4.8 billion worldwide. In regards to film and TV adaptations, there’s Power Rangers led by Jonathan Entwistle, a newly announced D&D television series from Rawson Marshall Thurber, a Beau Willimon helmed television series adaptation of the globally popular game Risk, and Magic: The Gathering animated series releasing on Netflix later this year. Other active development includes movies such as Ouija, Clue, and Mouse Trap. Hasbro’s Brand Blueprint strategy has the consumer at the center, aiming to deliver amazing brand experiences across platforms, building and growing brand connections through play and entertainment.

Chu’s directing credits include In the Heights and the blockbuster Crazy Rich Asians. He is represented by UTA, Artists First and Goodman, Genow, Schenkman, Smelkinson & Christopher.

Gordon’s The Big Sick, which she also produced, was nominated for an original screenplay Oscar. She also wrote and co-created Little America. She is represented by UTA, Mosaic and Schreck Rose Dapello Adams Berlin & Dunham.
Old 03-17-22, 05:25 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Re: Play-Doh: The Movie (D: Jon M. Chu)

it worked for Lego.

Old 03-17-22, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I guess that’s true about Lego. Still seems kinda weird though. Lego crosses over into pop culture more than Play-Doh.
Old 03-17-22, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,832 Likes on 1,228 Posts

I am sure they can do something entertaining and interesting with the concept, but I'm still holding out for Jump Rope the movie.
Old 03-17-22, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

Is there a proof of concept?
Old 03-17-22, 06:17 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

i guarantee a scene where play-doh is being squeezed out of a hole and the characters go "ewwwwwwwwwwww"
Old 03-17-22, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
i guarantee a scene where play-doh is being squeezed out of a hole and the characters go "ewwwwwwwwwwww"
Yep. My money is on a character sticking his head out-of-frame to vomit.

I guess this is going to basically be a claymation type movie. I mean, Mr. Bill was funny…40 years ago.
Old 03-17-22, 07:06 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Can you eat it?
Old 03-17-22, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts

I bet a movie about Play-Doh will still end up being better than Nolan's Oppenheimer film.
Old 03-17-22, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Will it be better than Pixels?
Old 03-17-22, 09:53 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Will it be better than Pixels?
If Sandler isn’t involved it already is.