Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Pearl (2022, D: Ti West) -- X prequel -- S: Mia Goth

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Pearl (2022, D: Ti West) -- X prequel -- S: Mia Goth

Old 09-20-22, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 212 Likes on 165 Posts
Re: Pearl (2022, D: Ti West) -- X prequel -- S: Mia Goth

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes View Post
I’m glad I’m in good company with Scorsese because this film hasn’t been getting nearly the talk I think it deserves. I found it to be absolutely phenomenal! Film of the year for me so far. I didn’t care much for X but this was nearly perfect. The acting was superb. Mia Goth SHOULD but WON’T be nominated for an Oscar. The cinematography was breathtaking. The script was both sad and twisted at the same time. The visuals were haunting. I gave it a 4.5 out of 5. Far and away Ti Wests best film. First movie I’m gonna see twice in theatres in sometime. I can’t say enough good things about it.
Glad to see I wasn't the only one thinking she should (but probably won't) get some acting nods for this, as I mentioned a few days back. I also think Tandi Wright deserves some kind of supporting actress nominations, but again I doubt we'll see much for either actress because of this being a horror film. Agree on your other points as well. It would have been interesting if they could've gotten MAXXXINE in the can quickly to renew interest in this one closer to awards season.

Forgot to mention earlier that the final shot (under the closing credits) was brilliant. They actually discuss it in the Q&A I posted earlier, toward the end, I think.
Old 09-20-22, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 199 Likes on 143 Posts

Do you need to see X to get this?

I saw it but my wife did not...
Old 09-20-22, 11:52 AM

Received 3,035 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer View Post

I would say no. It stands on it's own. Having seen X could enhance this due to some references.
Old 09-20-22, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by d2cheer View Post

This kind of reminds me of a previous similar discussion regarding THE ENDLESS and RESOLUTION. Like those films, both enhance each other greatly, but can probably be watched in any order. If anything, I found watching X a second time right after the TIFF screening of PEARL made X a little more rewarding due to the backstory, set details, etc., so watching them chronologically – along with MAXXXINE eventually – seems perfectly acceptable. Personally, I'd be game for a PEARL sequel as well, detailing subsequent eras of her journey to becoming the old hag in X. We could end up with duelling franchises here with the same actress!
The following users liked this post:
Dan (09-20-22)
Old 09-22-22, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Brian T View Post
I haven’t read the legit reviews yet, but surely there must be some awards talk for her performance in this, beyond whatever awards Fangoria hands out these days? She’s got a phenomenal extended monologue here that lays the characters psychosis, and her awareness and growing acceptance of it, right on the table, unfortunately opposite someone who immediately regrets hearing it. Great stuff.
Originally Posted by MysterioMan007 View Post
Goth's monologue at the end, imo, was the best part of her performance.
Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen View Post
Such a surprise that the climax of the film is not a horror-movie-rampage, but her giving a lengthy (five minutes? nine minutes?) monologue, confessing her pain and the terrible things she's done and her acceptance of them.
​​​​
Originally Posted by Hazel Motes View Post
The acting was superb. Mia Goth SHOULD but WON’T be nominated for an Oscar

Mia Goth’s Show-Stopping 9-Minute ‘Pearl’ Monologue Deserves Oscar Attention (contains spoilers, naturally)
https://variety.com/2022/awards/awar...ss-1235377891/

Nice comparison to the iconic opening scene in Inglourious Basterds, which actually popped into my head when I was watching Goth's scene, with that whole 'unseen' element (her sister-in-law, who gradually 'disappears' from the sequence) that you keep thinking about as the monologue grows more menacing.

Last edited by Brian T; 09-22-22 at 10:03 AM.
Old 09-22-22, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 83 Likes on 74 Posts

So, um, have any of you guys visited 'Pearl's Peep Show' yet? (I won't directly link to it here for safety reasons. Just type it in for yourself)
Old 09-22-22, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 872 Likes on 634 Posts

Yep, just like the page says when you find it, it's a collection of vintage peep shows.