DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   William Hurt dead at 71 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/655033-william-hurt-dead-71-a.html)

DJariya 03-13-22 03:49 PM

William Hurt dead at 71

Wow, I'm stunned.

story 03-13-22 03:52 PM

Re: William Hurt dead at 71

That's too and, feels like out of nowhere, as far as we the public are concerned. I also didn't realize he was only 71, that seems young for such a long, full career.

dex14 03-13-22 03:56 PM

I’m not surprised. He’s been sick for years and hasn’t looked well. His cancer was terminal.

RIP. One of the greats.

Coral 03-13-22 03:58 PM

Wikipedia says:

It was announced in May 2018 that Hurt had terminal prostate cancer that spread to the bone.

I never heard anything about this.

DJariya 03-13-22 04:00 PM

I didn't realize he was suffering from prostate cancer and his disease was terminal. The last project I saw him on was Black Widow and I couldn't tell if he was ill because he was de-aged.

CyberpunkCentra 03-13-22 04:03 PM

Wtf!? Rip

dex14 03-13-22 04:04 PM

I think they actually CG’d his looks in BW because of how sick he looked in real life. They wouldn’t really need to de-age him 5 years worth.

Nick Danger 03-13-22 04:21 PM

That definitely looks artificial.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...dc83138c55.jpg

DJariya 03-13-22 04:31 PM

Wow has face does look really fake. I haven't seen Black Widow since I saw it in the theater. A friend did give me the 4K disc for Christmas. Going to have to pay more attention to that.

Anyways, it's sad that another long-time great is gone.

E Unit 03-13-22 04:41 PM

After the whole thing with Marlee Matlin, I kind of tuned him out.

GoldenJCJ 03-13-22 04:51 PM

Sad. I always liked him. I didn’t know he was sick.

He was great in A History of Violence and The Big Chill.

Decker 03-13-22 04:52 PM

He was really the biggest movie star of the 80s, which is a trip thinking about it now. But he really was between Altered States, Body Heat, The Big Chill, Kiss of the Spider Woman, Children of a Lesser God, The Accidental Tourist and Broadcast News he owned the decade like nobody has ever owned a decade, honestly.

God I love Broadcast News. What a great "elevated" rom-com that totally holds up. Broke my heart.

dvdjunkie32 03-13-22 05:04 PM

RIP to one of the greats. My favorite role of his was in Mr. Brooks as the evil alter ego. Such an underappreciated thriller. Also had a small but powerful role in Into The Wild.

The Antipodean 03-13-22 05:23 PM

Broadcast News is one of the all-time greats. RIP.

Nick Danger 03-13-22 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 14073734)
He was really the biggest movie star of the 80s, which is a trip thinking about it now. But he really was between Altered States, Body Heat, The Big Chill, Kiss of the Spider Woman, Children of a Lesser God, The Accidental Tourist and Broadcast News he owned the decade like nobody has ever owned a decade, honestly.

God I love Broadcast News. What a great "elevated" rom-com that totally holds up. Broke my heart.

I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to go with the star who was in Raiders of the Lost Ark, Return of the Jedi, Bladerunner, and Witness.

The Antipodean 03-13-22 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 14073734)

Hurt was great, and definitely one of the great movie actors of the 1980s, but when I think “stars” I think of Ford, Schwarzenegger, Cruise, Murphy, Stallone, Murray, Reynolds etc

Coral 03-13-22 07:39 PM

William Hurt isn't a "movie star" by it's definition. He's not exactly popular for his leading roles - even in the 80s when he had his most success.
"Let's go see the new William Hurt movie" - isn't something you'd hear anywhere.

Personally, I don't get excited over a movie because of a "movie star".

DJariya 03-13-22 07:44 PM

I thought William Hurt was a good actor and I liked most of his work. But he was never a draw for me.

Body Heat was a great movie with him as the lead because he had some dynamic on screen chemistry with Kathleen Turner.

philo 03-13-22 07:56 PM

Damn that's too bad. Really great actor. One of the few believable at playing doctors or scientists. He definitely had a starring run in the 80s but continued to do interesting work no matter the size of the role. Prostate cancer can be a real sneaky bitch if its not caught early.

At first I thought he had been in that great miniseries Chernobyl but then realized that was Stellan Skarsgard.

JeffTheAlpaca 03-13-22 08:03 PM

RIP he was a good actor and you welcomed his presence whenever you saw him on screen.

I remember him from Smoke a 90's movie nobody ever saw and the dad in Into the Wild.

I had Broadcast News on my dvr but erased it for space but will need to watch that.

Kurt D 03-13-22 08:17 PM

That's an unwelcome surprise for me. Been a fan since Altered States. RIP.

Perkinsun Dzees 03-13-22 08:25 PM

He was also great in a dialogue-free performance as the hitman doing battle with a bunch of toy soldiers in the TV adaptation of Stephen King's Battleground.

Goldberg74 03-13-22 08:26 PM

Rest In Peace, General “Thunderbolt” Ross. 🪦

My first memory of a film of his that stuck out to me was “The Doctor” (1991). Such a brilliant and memorable performance.

Throwing Copper 03-13-22 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Nick Danger (Post 14073765)
I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to go with the star who was in Raiders of the Lost Ark, Return of the Jedi, Bladerunner, and Witness.

Risky Business
Top Gun
The Color of Money
Cocktail
Rain Man
Born on the Fourth of July

I really enjoyed William Hurt. Sad that he’s gone.

Nobody went to the movies to see Hurt. He was a good actor who chose good projects to work on.

GoldenJCJ 03-13-22 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees (Post 14073821)
He was also great in a dialogue-free performance as the hitman doing battle with a bunch of toy soldiers in the TV adaptation of Stephen King's Battleground.

i forgot about this. I watched the series when it originally aired and definitely enjoyed William Hurt’s episode the best. It was a little silly and doesn’t really feel like a Stephen King story but it was fun to watch regardless.