Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Boys in the Boat (2023, D: Clooney) S: Edgerton, Turner

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 03-08-22, 12:59 PM

Received 4,551 Likes on 3,087 Posts

EXCLUSIVE: George Clooney’s long-awaited adaptation of The Boys in the Boat looks to be gearing up production as sources tell Deadline, Clooney has rounded out his cast with Joel Edgerton, Jack Mulhern, Sam Strike, Luke Slattery, Thomas Elms, Tom Varey, Bruce Herbelin-Earle, Wil Coban and Hadley Robinson joining Callum Turner, who was previously announced. MGM, Spyglass and Smokehouse are partnering on the production with Clooney directing and Mark L. Smith writing the script with Chris Weitz writing a previous draft.

Based on No. 1 New York Times bestselling author Daniel James Brown’s 2013 novel The Boys in the Boat: Nine Americans and their Epic Quest for Gold at the 1936 Berlin Olympics, the pic will tell the triumphant underdog story of the University of Washington men’s rowing team, who stunned the world by winning gold at the 1936 Berlin Olympics.

Clooney and his Smoke House Pictures partner Grant Heslov are producing the project with Spyglass executive producing. Clooney has been eyeing this adaptation for some time and came close to directing last year, but when he had the opportunity to direct Tender Bar, he decided to shoot that first and positioned this as his follow-up project. Once Tender Bar was behind him, he set his sights on this and now has his cast in place with production set to start this month.
https://deadline.com/2022/02/george-...se-1234930925/
EXCLUSIVE: James Wolk is joining the cast of MGM’s adaptation of The Boys in the Boat. He joins an ensemble that includes Callum Turner, Joel Edgerton, Jack Mulhern, Sam Strike, Luke Slattery, Courtney Henggeler, Thomas Elms, Tom Varey, Bruce Herbelin-Earle, Wil Coban and Hadley Robinson.
https://deadline.com/2022/03/james-w...gm-1234972450/
Old 03-08-22, 03:25 PM

Received 91 Likes on 62 Posts
re: The Boys in the Boat (2023, D: Clooney) S: Edgerton, Turner

George Clooney is very hit and miss when he directs.
Old 10-04-23, 01:15 PM

"The stakes were much higher for them... and it gave them an edge. That you can pull yourself up from nothing and succeed."

Watch The Boys In The Boat director George Clooney lead his crew on-set and learn about the inspiring true story, based on the #1 New York Times bestselling non-fiction novel. See the film only in theaters this Christmas.
Old 10-04-23, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 443 Likes on 250 Posts

I first thought this was a remake of Boys in the Band but set on a boat

"Stop prancing about Emory, you're rocking the boat!"
Old 10-04-23, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

...and then they took on the Nazis. Sounds like they won WW2 by rowing.
Old 10-04-23, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,158 Likes on 4,191 Posts

Originally Posted by Runaway
...and then they took on the Nazis. Sounds like they won WW2 by rowing.
No, they just showed the Nazis up at their own Olympics. Like in Race.
The US didn't win WW2 by rowing until Unbroken.
Old 10-04-23, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,187 Likes on 2,055 Posts

Originally Posted by CyberpunkCentra
George Clooney is very hit and miss when he directs.
More misses than hits, IMO. I finally got around to watching The Tender Bar a few weeks ago. While not great it was still good. Probably my favorite Clooney directed film. I havenít been a fan of many of his other directing efforts.
Old 10-18-23, 04:47 PM

This Christmas, the race is on. Watch the official trailer for The Boys In The Boat, from director George Clooney, starring Joel Edgerton and Callum Turner.

Based on the best-selling book about the inspirational true story of the 1936 University of Washington rowing team that competed for gold at the Summer Olympics in Berlin. See the film only in theaters this Christmas.

Directed By: George Clooney
Starring: Joel Edgerton and Callum Turner
Written By: Mark L. Smith
Old 12-18-23, 08:26 AM

Re: The Boys in the Boat (2023, D: Clooney) S: Edgerton, Turner

This will be out in theatres starting on Sunday.

Reviews: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_boys_in_the_boat

Seems like another forgettable directorial effort from Clooney.
Old 12-18-23, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 837 Likes on 585 Posts

The cheese factor looks high.
Plus this seems to follow the same old formula. Just swap the sport, add overused historical wartime backdrop and voila!... instant cheese for your nachos.
Old 12-27-23, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

This was our Christmas day film, which we all thought was great - certainly this should satisfy the audience going to see it. (which was definitely older) Yes it's old fashioned with the kinds of movie moment scenes you'd expect from decades past, but that's the charm of it and there isn't an ounce of cynicism to be found. A nice score from Alexandre Desplat as well.
Old 12-31-23, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,627 Likes on 2,603 Posts

I saw this tonight and I was entertained. Sure, It's very predictable and very by the numbers as a sports underdog story. But, it's very well filmed and directed by Clooney. The rowing sequences are very exciting. You felt exhausted seeing the actors work their ass off.

I would have appreciated some kind of graphic update on what happened with the team post-Olympics. But, they just went to credits and showed some old photos.

I thought Edgerton and Callum Turner were both really good.

It brought nothing new to the genre, but it was an entertaining 2 hours. I'd give it a solid B
Old 01-26-24, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 901 Likes on 665 Posts

Wife wanted to watch this so we rented it last night. Agree that it was good but did nothing new. First thing I mentioned to my wife was that there was no way guys who were struggling to get meals and working that hard would have near the muscle mass of the actors. Sure enough, the few real photos we see at the end showed that they were all rail thin. I know there's probably plenty of info out there but I was hoping we'd get more info about the real men at the end. True stories like this usually give us some info on what they did after or show some more "recent" pictures of them. The few we got (which I understand, considering when it all happened) were behind the credits for some reason. Bad editing there.

I also saw no reason to include "him" during the Olympic scenes. I don't care if he was there in real life. I'd rather we not acknowledge his existence unless it's to show how much of a monster he was.

Some really great camera work during the various race scenes. Definitely a beautiful movie to look at.

Edit: The whole time I was watching I thought the actress who played the lead's gf looked just like Wren Schmidt from For All Mankind, just younger. Just looked it up and realized she was the actress who played Jeanie Buss in Winning Time. That's why she looked so familiar to me.

Last edited by Noonan; 01-26-24 at 02:45 PM.
Old 01-28-24, 06:24 AM

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Agree that this was another minor yet enjoyable by the numbers movie from Clooney.

I know he gets to cherry pick the projects but I wish he would go back to just making regular old popcorn movies without an agenda. I feel like WW2 and political stuff is overdone now. He was great in O Brother Where Art Thou but I don't enjoy seeing him in comedic roles. The rom com with Julia Roberts last summer was horrible. I think the last thing I really enjoyed him in was The Descendants. And for the love of God no more Ocean's movies.

It just seems like such a waste. He is one of the last great modern movie stars and probably only has another 10 movies left in him. Wish we could get better stuff than this.
Old 01-28-24, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

We watched this the other night and really enjoyed it. Didn't know anything about this other than assuming we at least medaled in the competition (didn't want to look it up and spoil anything). The close-ups of the oar stirrup were maddening, lol, we kept thinking an oar was going snap right out. After, I googled the history of this and found some really cool stuff, like that they reunited every 10 years. They were also pretty spot on with the actor selections too, when comparing the historical footage.
Old 01-29-24, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 714 Likes on 584 Posts

So when does this hit Prime or MGM+?
Old 03-29-24, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It premieres this Sat March 30 on MGM+
Old 04-01-24, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It was ok but with Clooney and Edgerton involved I thought it would be more than a typical sports movie but it was not and kind of generic though a nice story.

Hadley Robinson who played Jeannie Buss in the Lakers HBO show was in this too.
Old 04-01-24, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 971 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Hadley Robinson who played Jeannie Buss in the Lakers HBO show was in this too.
So was Jack Mulhern, who played Grizz on The Society.