Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Batman (2022, D: Reeves) S: Pattinson, Kravitz, Wright, Dano - The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of The Batman?
9.33%
20.00%
37.33%
13.33%
9.33%
4.00%
5.33%
0%
0%
0%
0%
Not interested.
1.33%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

The Batman (2022, D: Reeves) S: Pattinson, Kravitz, Wright, Dano - The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Old 02-28-22, 07:19 AM

Received 2,924 Likes on 2,001 Posts

Continue pre-release discussion here.

Two years of stalking the streets as the Batman (Robert Pattinson), striking fear into the hearts of criminals, has led Bruce Wayne deep into the shadows of Gotham City. With only a few trusted allies — Alfred Pennyworth (Andy Serkis), Lt. James Gordon (Jeffrey Wright) — amongst the city's corrupt network of officials and high-profile figures, the lone vigilante has established himself as the sole embodiment of vengeance amongst his fellow citizens.

When a killer targets Gotham's elite with a series of sadistic machinations, a trail of cryptic clues sends the World's Greatest Detective on an investigation into the underworld, where he encounters such characters as Selina Kyle/aka Catwoman (ZoŽ Kravitz), Oswald Cobblepot/aka the Penguin (Colin Farrell), Carmine Falcone (John Turturro), and Edward Nashton/aka the Riddler (Paul Dano). As the evidence begins to lead closer to home and the scale of the perpetrator's plans becomes clear, Batman must forge new relationships, unmask the culprit, and bring justice to the abuse of power and corruption that has long plagued Gotham City.
IMDb: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1877830
Rotten Tomatoes: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_batman (Embargo lifts on Monday, 28th of Febuary, 12PM EST/9AM PST)

Runtime: 2 hr 56 min
Rating: Rated PG-13 for strong violent and disturbing content, drug content, strong language, and some suggestive material

Release: Tuesday, 3/1 - IMAX Fan Event, Wednesday, 3/2 - 7pm early showings, Thursday 3/3 - showings start at 3pm, Friday 3/4 - official release date.
Will be streaming on HBO Max after a minimum of 45 days theatrical window, approximately April 19th.

Please do not post untagged spoilers in here at least until after 7pm on Tuesday. If you do not want to risk being spoiled, do not come into the thread.

Last edited by dex14; 03-02-22 at 03:12 PM.
Old 02-28-22, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 763 Likes on 621 Posts
re: The Batman (2022, D: Reeves) S: Pattinson, Kravitz, Wright, Dano - The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Iíve watched a couple non spoiler reviews on YouTube. Sounds overwhelmingly positive so far. Iím hoping to go on Thursday.
Old 02-28-22, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 158 Posts
Re: The Batman (2022, D: Reeves) S: Pattinson, Kravitz, Wright, Dano - The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Here is all I need in a review, in these 2 quotes

The Batman is a gripping, grimy and sensational street-level detective story.

It’s a story about Batman. No Bat-flick has centered so fully on a suited and booted Bats in media
The following 2 users liked this post by stingermck:
Deftones (02-28-22), IBJoel (03-03-22)
Old 02-28-22, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,975 Likes on 1,447 Posts
Re: The Batman (2022, D: Reeves) S: Pattinson, Kravitz, Wright, Dano - The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Going on Thursday at 3pm. Is there anyone here seeing it tomorrow night in IMAX for the early free screenings?
Old 02-28-22, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts

It’s a story about Batman. No Bat-flick has centered so fully on a suited and booted Bats in media
Haven't seen this new movie, so obviously I can't criticize it- but this is exactly what Nolan was celebrated for doing with Batman Begins, after the first four 90's era films were seen as guest starring villain-centric romps.

The following users liked this post:
majorjoe23 (03-05-22)
Old 03-01-22, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 136 Likes on 94 Posts

Bought tickets for Thursday night. Been a minute since I was this excited to see an upcoming movie
Old 03-01-22, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

At 87% with 188 reviews on RT.

For comparison, Batman Begins was 85%, The Dark Knight 94%, and The Dark Knight Rises 87%
Old 03-01-22, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Went tonight. It's long, really long. Felt all the pacing issues, but enjoyed pattinson, wright, and kravitz a lot. tutrturro a little less. didn't care for dano or farrell. first half of the movie was really good.
Old 03-02-22, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Finally....DETECTIVE Batman!! I thought the pacing was just right, with action coming in the right places. Really loved the Gordon/Batman relationship, if you've seen the "punch" trailer, it perfectly encapsulates the relationship they have at this time (you don't get the full context in that trailer). I also love that he wasn't overly reliant on gadgets and relied more on brute force and his acumen to figure things out/get things done.

The atmosphere throughout fit the film perfectly with Gotham having that look and feel that was missing in the Nolan trilogy. The score and cinematography were also top notch. The use of shadows and music built up a sense of dread that The Batman could be hiding in those shadows.

I also like that it didn't end like your typical cookie cutter comics movie in that the
Spoiler:
villain lives and is setup to make a return (the after credits "scene" also indicates this). I mean, how many times did a big-time villain that is a constant foil to a given hero get killed in the first movie? And...is it really "him" in the next cell? Sure sounded like it, and what little you see, it sure could be....

Last edited by SmackDaddy; 03-03-22 at 06:34 AM.
Old 03-03-22, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 524 Likes on 319 Posts

9/10. I loved this movie. Batman isn't a Terminator/Super-Ninja; every battle is felt and earned. Pattinson is spot-on fantastic in the role. Dano is fucking unreal. Ferrell is a revelation. Kravitz acquits herself well. Is it long? Surely. Is it slow? Never.

The movie is still percolating in my mind but I'll say straight out this is the closest Batman on film that reminded me of BATMAN. Not an over-brooding psychopath. Something closer to a hero. A dark vigilante and driven by fear and (here it comes) vengeance, but a hero nonetheless. AND the world's greatest detective. Matt Reeves GETS it.

Roy.
The following 2 users liked this post by Hokeyboy:
Brack (03-03-22), IBJoel (03-03-22)
Old 03-03-22, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk God

I just got back from seeing it in a near full house. This is definitely a different take on the character and genre. It's more of a detective and serial killer thriller than an actual comic book action movie. It's very dark. But, overall I thought it was a solid movie. 4 out of 5 from me. I did think some parts dragged a little.

Pattinson was a solid Batman. Jeffrey Wright was good as Jim Gordon, but to me the standout was Paul Dano. He was fantastic as the Riddler. This is not the goofy character you saw on Batman forever or the 1960s TV show. This is a disturbed and psychotic and very scary serial killer. He was super creepy. Great directing and set designs by Reeves and his team. I also liked Kravitz as Selina as well. Also, the Batmobile was fucking awesome. That chase scene with Batman and the Penguin was amazing. Too bad most of it was in the trailer.

Is this a "fun" movie, probably not. But, it's a riveting thriller that happens to have Batman and an exploration of a psychopath.
Brack (03-03-22)
Old 03-03-22, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 154 Likes on 107 Posts

4/5

Really enjoyed this one! I much prefer this European/Gothic Gotham to Nolan's U.S. cities. I saw some complaints about the movie switching tones for the last act - I just saw it as the Riddler's final plan coming to fruition. I was anticipating his followers copycat costumes coming more into play for a possible last reveal.

Should not have included "that scene", it just didn't work for me... maybe if you just heard a voice from a vent, that could've worked better. And if your going to include something after the credits - make sure it's worth the audience's time. You don't want everyone feeling like they stayed 10min longer than they needed to, esp after an already long film.

Last edited by Artman; 03-03-22 at 10:20 PM.
IBJoel (03-03-22)
Old 03-03-22, 10:26 PM
Administrator

Received 576 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
9/10. I loved this movie. Batman isn't a Terminator/Super-Ninja; every battle is felt and earned. Pattinson is spot-on fantastic in the role. Dano is fucking unreal. Ferrell is a revelation. Kravitz acquits herself well. Is it long? Surely. Is it slow? Never.

The movie is still percolating in my mind but I'll say straight out this is the closest Batman on film that reminded me of BATMAN. Not an over-brooding psychopath. Something closer to a hero. A dark vigilante and driven by fear and (here it comes) vengeance, but a hero nonetheless. AND the world's greatest detective. Matt Reeves GETS it.

Roy.
100%. Every fight, I was like, "Oh I'm actually concerned about Batman!"
Old 03-03-22, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Really liked this a lot. To me the film didnít seem overly long. I was invested the entire time and didnít feel like any of it dragged.

Great performances all around. Pattinson as Batman was awesome. His Bruce could use work, but I feel like it fit this story and his character will probably develop more in the sequels.

Zoe Kravitz as Selina/Catwoman I really liked. Liked how we saw a team up of the Bat and the Cat. We also got it in The Dark Knight Rises, but this was better.

Colin Farrell was absolutely fantastic as Penguin. I think he stood out the most to me for the villains. Just for how much of a transformation he underwent for the role.

Not to take away from Paul Dano as The Riddler who was sufficiently creepy. I didnít love the look initially, but it grew on me and fit this version of the character.

Also really enjoyed Jeffrey Wright as Gordon, and in his limited screen time I feel like Andy Serkis is a good Alfred.

Overall no real complaints from me. Maybe itís just the high of seeing it, but I loved it. Absolutely am looking forward to more of this universe. I was skeptical on all the announced spin-offs, but now am looking forward to seeing them play out.
Old 03-04-22, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Dug it. Pattinson was an excellent Batman. I can't believe I didn't realize Penguin was Colin Farrell until the credits
Old 03-04-22, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 View Post
I can't believe I didn't realize Penguin was Colin Farrell until the credits
The only shot that I feel like you can see him is when he looks back towards the Batmobile (unfortunately the one used in all of the marketing)..but that's the one time. I am surprised they referred to him as the Penguin in this film, I just assumed that would come later.
Old 03-04-22, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk God

So that ending at Arkham was obviously a tease for the Joker right?

and I didn't stay through the credits because I found it was nothing but a computer text graphic. Reeves probably knew that people were making a mad dash to the restroom after 3 hours. Most were leaving in my theater when the credits started rolling. I was able to make it to the 2 hour mark before I had to hit the restroom.

Last edited by DJariya; 03-04-22 at 12:50 AM.
Old 03-04-22, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
So that ending at Arkham was obviously a tease for the Joker right?
That's how I viewed it. And did Reeve just lie about it not being in the film? Just a terrible approach, why box yourself in to his portrayal this early? Or set yourself up for the 2nd movie being a direct comparison to TDK? Leave him for the third film.
Old 03-04-22, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk God

One thing I appreciated about Pattinson's Batman was that he actually spoke in his normal voice rather than Bale's Batman, who spoke like he had a sore throat and was ready to cough.

The Dolby Atmos audio was incredible for this movie. Especially the scene where the Batmobile was revving up and getting ready to take off. I could feel it in my seat as well as during the chase sequence.

Last edited by DJariya; 03-04-22 at 01:48 AM.
Old 03-04-22, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 209 Likes on 169 Posts

I liked the movie, I think it was a little bit to long. It was great to see a movie so focussed on Batman, not Batman and Bruce Wayne, just Batman. The few scenes Bruce isn't in the suit he either is talking to Alfred or he uses Bruce Wayne as the disguise for Batman, to further the investigation.
Old 03-04-22, 06:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
One thing I appreciated about Pattinson's Batman was that he actually spoke in his normal voice rather than Bale's Batman, who spoke like he had a sore throat and was ready to cough.

The Dolby Atmos audio was incredible for this movie. Especially the scene where the Batmobile was revving up and getting ready to take off. I could feel it in my seat as well as during the chase sequence.
​​​​​​
I know it became meme material, but Bale's vocal choice for his Batman had gotten harder to watch as time goes by. Pattinson's take was nearly perfect.

I forgot to mention how great I thought Paul Dano was as Riddler. That creepy smile he was making at Batman in the window when he was getting arrested the diner just showed how unhinged he was. One thing I'm still not 100% sure on is did he actually know that Bruce Wayne was Batman or was he just railing on Bruce Wayne to Batman (comparing their divergent orphan experiences) during the interview at Arkham.

Last edited by SmackDaddy; 03-04-22 at 11:06 AM.
Old 03-04-22, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 209 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy View Post
​​​​​​
I know it became meme material, but Bale's vocal choice for this Batman had gotten harder to watch as time goes by. Pattinson's take was nearly perfect.

I forgot to mention how great I thought Paul Dano was as Riddler. That creepy smile he was making at Batman in the window when he was getting arrested the diner just showed how unhinged he was. One thing I'm still not 100% sure on is did he actually know that Bruce Wayne was Batman or was he just railing on Bruce Wayne to Batman (comparing their divergent orphan experiences) during the interview at Arkham.
I think it's supposed to be ambiguous. The Riddler did a lot of research on his victims, so it's not outside the realm of possibility for him to have figured out Batman's identity, but it wasn't 100% clear to me either.
Old 03-04-22, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 158 Posts

What a masterpiece for Batman. It's now neck and neck for me with The Dark Knight.

Pattison was great and like Bale, you could feel his rage bubbling, but somehow contained. I loved the way he walked. Slow, like a monster. Every movement had a purpose.

The Batmobile! Holy shit, it was like it was alive.

The shot near the end of him rescuing the kids trapped was amazing.

The cast, the detective work, the fights, everything was great.

Last edited by stingermck; 03-04-22 at 07:49 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by stingermck:
DJariya (03-04-22), IBJoel (03-04-22)
Old 03-04-22, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Runaway View Post
I think it's supposed to be ambiguous. The Riddler did a lot of research on his victims, so it's not outside the realm of possibility for him to have figured out Batman's identity, but it wasn't 100% clear to me either.
I wasnít sure either. It kind of seemed like he knew and was fucking with Batman at first, but then it kind of seemed like maybe he didnít know.

Originally Posted by Artman View Post
That's how I viewed it. And did Reeve just lie about it not being in the film? Just a terrible approach, why box yourself in to his portrayal this early? Or set yourself up for the 2nd movie being a direct comparison to TDK? Leave him for the third film.
I donít think he lied, but he probably didnít want to spoil it. The Joker being there was something I was iffy on. I just dislike the fact that we have to go back to the well and drag The Joker out again. Just focus on other villains.
Old 03-04-22, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 524 Likes on 319 Posts

Reeves is on record saying while that WAS the Joker, it wasn't quite "THE" Joker in full form. He is also on record saying Joker isn't necessarily in the next film.

Which is fine.

The way they teed off the "Batman is inadvertently inspiring sociopaths to unmask themselves/Gotham City is now in the midst of a crimelod power-play" sets up the next movie or movies perfectly. You could introduce almost any characters/villains into this storyline.
The following 2 users liked this post by Hokeyboy:
IBJoel (03-04-22), majorjoe23 (03-05-22)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.