Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Batman (2022, D: Reeves) S: Pattinson, Kravitz, Wright, Dano - The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of The Batman?
9.09%
20.78%
36.36%
12.99%
9.09%
3.90%
5.19%
1.30%
0%
0%
0%
Not interested.
1.30%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

The Batman (2022, D: Reeves) S: Pattinson, Kravitz, Wright, Dano - The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-22, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts
Re: The Batman (2022, D: Reeves) S: Pattinson, Kravitz, Wright, Dano - The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Draven
Well yes but this movie posits that light bulbs aren't in use anywhere.
And in Se7en it rained constantly, sometimes it's just to set the mood and Batman is still the Dark Knight. It's not like it was a movie about Booster Gold.
Old 04-04-22, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts
Re: The Batman (2022, D: Reeves) S: Pattinson, Kravitz, Wright, Dano - The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Runaway
Batman is a criminal he has to hide is identity. Superman hides is idenitiy since being a God amongst humans takes away his only way to connect to people, same for Wonder Woman and the barely shows her powers, since she is in hiding for decades.
Aquaman isn't promoting his powers, but he isn't hiding them very good either, at least in the movies. Peacemaker doesn't hide very well and he is a wanted criminal, like Batman should be.
You may not like secret identities, but in some cases they just make sense.
What about undercover cops? Should they all choose the James Bond approach and don't hide at all?
I dunno, let's try it? It might be more challenging for a Batman writer to do something besides "Batman fights the Riddler, Joker and Two-Face with a cool car". Like I said when I saw it, this was fine. It has gotten less fine in my head ever since - I can't think of anything besides the Batmobile that I'm looking forward to seeing again at home. It's certainly not one I'll be throwing in for a fun rewatch. But a Batman story where he loses his fortune or has to truly go on the run from the law without any of his support systems while everyone hunts him after his identity is exposed? We might get an all new kind of story. Even something like an expanded version of Knightmare would at least be DIFFERENT.

I haven't read Batman books lately but that seems like Batman's identity being exposed that could have a nice arc in the comics before somehow getting resolved. Don't see why it's so crazy to think a movie could do it too. I look at something like Logan for an example - that was a much smaller story, not having Wolverine fight gigantic robots. And different than the typical X-Men teamup.
Old 04-04-22, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 826 Likes on 547 Posts

As much as DC has bungled its extended movie universe, the one aspect I do like is that they keep secret identities secret. For the most part anyway.
I get way more enjoyment out of the MCU, but it’s hard to keep a secret identity when you’re telling all your friends and ripping your mask off every chance you get.
The following users liked this post:
Sonny Corinthos (04-12-22)
Old 04-04-22, 05:33 PM
Administrator

Received 1,068 Likes on 621 Posts

I dunno, let's try it? It might be more challenging for a Batman writer to do something besides "Batman fights the Riddler, Joker and Two-Face with a cool car". Like I said when I saw it, this was fine. It has gotten less fine in my head ever since - I can't think of anything besides the Batmobile that I'm looking forward to seeing again at home. It's certainly not one I'll be throwing in for a fun rewatch. But a Batman story where he loses his fortune or has to truly go on the run from the law without any of his support systems while everyone hunts him after his identity is exposed? We might get an all new kind of story. Even something like an expanded version of Knightmare would at least be DIFFERENT.

I haven't read Batman books lately but that seems like Batman's identity being exposed that could have a nice arc in the comics before somehow getting resolved. Don't see why it's so crazy to think a movie could do it too. I look at something like Logan for an example - that was a much smaller story, not having Wolverine fight gigantic robots. And different than the typical X-Men teamup.
Yet Logan still ends with a big ol' fight.

I'd actually like to see further Batman stories double down on topics The Batman touched on: White privilege, economic and gender inequality, police brutality, etc. I share your frustration for "X fights Y yet again." If you haven't read "The World's Greatest Superheroes," you might dig that comic. It has Superman tackling world hunger, Shazam visiting kids in the hospice ward, etc. You might dig it. It's my favorite comic, but it's essentially unfilmable because audiences have been so brainwashed into what superheroes are "supposed to be" that they refuse to accept things that deviate from effects-driven popcorn blockbusters.

Although regarding the secret identity thing, I find exposed identities typically more unbelievable in general. Tony Stark admits he's Iron Man and sooner or later, someone is taking a shot at him and not missing. Same for any of them short of like, Thor or Vision. Even then, it'd be easy to target their loved ones. Some comics it works, because the superheroes are superheroes fulltime and date amongst themselves. Usually those stories portray them as alienated and sometimes even corrupt.
DaveyJoe (04-04-22)
Old 04-04-22, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Bane also discovered Batman's identity -- not only in the films but in the comic. It was fine in the TDKR, but in the comic, Bane might as well have been Sherlock Holmes in how he discovered who Batman really was.
Old 04-04-22, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

I get the notion to try something different, but when Zack Snyder tried something different with Superman he got a lot of hate for it. So playing it safe, seems to be the way to go, that's the MCU business model. The Batman at least opens the door for development. Batman is unexperienced and Bruce Wayne isn't the skilled fighting machine like the one in the Snyderverse. Reeves version can be developed and a future where Batman is on the run is a possible development.

With the Penguin series and the Arkahm series in development they are already widening the world and while the Riddler is a famous villain, the Riddler in the movie was a brilliant serial killer and not a weird show off. The Penguin is a small light in the underworld and will be developed in to a villain. So there is a chance for a mix up.
The following 2 users liked this post by Runaway:
Hokeyboy (04-04-22), Why So Blu? (04-04-22)
Old 04-04-22, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Generally people love to complain about things being formulaic but they fucking despite it when someone tries to color outside the lines.
The following 3 users liked this post by Hokeyboy:
Giantrobo (04-05-22), IBJoel (04-04-22), story (04-11-22)
Old 04-04-22, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddarino
As much as DC has bungled its extended movie universe, the one aspect I do like is that they keep secret identities secret. For the most part anyway.
I get way more enjoyment out of the MCU, but it’s hard to keep a secret identity when you’re telling all your friends and ripping your mask off every chance you get.
I think secret identities have always been more of a DC Comics thing than a Marvel Comics thing.

A few, like Peter Parker, keep the secret identity thing (though that's kind of on-and-off), I'm not really sure what the status of most Marvel characters identities are. I think that most of the prominent ones like the Fantastic Four, Iron Man, Captain America, and the X-Men don't keep secret identities like Superman or Batman, though I don't know what their current statuses are.

Old 04-04-22, 08:44 PM

Received 826 Likes on 547 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I think secret identities have always been more of a DC Comics thing than a Marvel Comics thing.

A few, like Peter Parker, keep the secret identity thing (though that's kind of on-and-off), I'm not really sure what the status of most Marvel characters identities are. I think that most of the prominent ones like the Fantastic Four, Iron Man, Captain America, and the X-Men don't keep secret identities like Superman or Batman, though I don't know what their current statuses are.
Currently I’m not sure either. I think for characters like Spider-Man, Daredevil & Black Panther, keeping their identities secret is just as important as it is for Batman.
Old 04-04-22, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

You can only change so much with a character until the character is fundamentally altered. Batman's primary reason to exist is to "strike fear into the hearts of criminals". That's as central to the character as "with great power comes great responsibility" to Spider-Man, or for Superman to show humanity the best in THEM through his actions.

If Batman is known as Bruce Wayne, he's no longer this feared supernatural force who preys on those who would harm the innocent. He's just some dickbag rich guy playing vigilante. Maybe an interesting Elseworlds story, but a fairly dopey premise for the core character.
The following 4 users liked this post by Hokeyboy:
IBJoel (04-04-22), New Lurker (04-05-22), Sonny Corinthos (04-12-22), Why So Blu? (04-04-22)
Old 04-04-22, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

I dunno, let's try it? It might be more challenging for a Batman writer to do something besides "Batman fights the Riddler, Joker and Two-Face with a cool car".
Batman doesn't fight the Riddler in this movie. Those villains have been used twice in Batman movies over the span of 33 years. Spiderman recycled villains on a much shorter timeline with No Way Home.

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Generally people love to complain about things being formulaic but they fucking despite it when someone tries to color outside the lines.
Are we all in agreement that the script was written for Hush but the studio made them change it to The Riddler because he's a more recognizable, and thus profitable, villain?

Last edited by DaveyJoe; 04-04-22 at 09:43 PM.
Old 04-05-22, 03:01 PM

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Hard to believe this will be on HBO Max just two weeks from today.
Old 04-05-22, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,832 Likes on 1,228 Posts

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
I'm believing it, as I did not see in the theater and am looking forward to it!
The following 2 users liked this post by Kurt D:
Giantrobo (04-05-22), Throwing Copper (04-05-22)
Old 04-05-22, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
Nice... I'll watch it at the gym when I'm doing my cardio.
Old 04-05-22, 03:49 PM
Administrator

Received 1,068 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
Nice... I'll watch it at the gym when I'm doing my cardio.
that's a long cardio session!
The following 3 users liked this post by IBJoel:
DJariya (04-05-22), Kurt D (04-05-22), majorjoe23 (04-06-22)
Old 04-11-22, 09:27 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

WB put out a press release regarding the HBO channel / HBO Max premiere:
The Warner Bros. Pictures global blockbuster, from writer/director Matt Reeves, THE BATMAN, starring Robert Pattinson in the dual role of Gotham City’s vigilante detective and his alter ego, reclusive billionaire Bruce Wayne, will be available to stream on HBO Max on MONDAY, APRIL 18. Dylan Clark (the “Planet of the Apes” films) and Reeves produced the film. THE BATMAN will also air on HBO on Saturday, April 23 at 8:00PM ET.
https://pressroom.warnermedia.com/us...s-and-starring
RichC2 (04-11-22)
Old 04-11-22, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Kinda crazy to me that they'd push it through to streaming while it's still pulling over $6.5m on a weekend in theaters. But I guess they gotta build on that hype.
Old 04-11-22, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I only saw it once in the theater so I’m looking forward to watching it again on HBO Max. I’ll buy the 4K disc when it’s out too.
Old 04-11-22, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,832 Likes on 1,228 Posts

Originally Posted by Runaway
And in Se7en it rained constantly, sometimes it's just to set the mood and Batman is still the Dark Knight. It's not like it was a movie about Booster Gold.
Originally Posted by dex14
WB put out a press release regarding the HBO channel / HBO Max premiere:

https://pressroom.warnermedia.com/us...s-and-starring
It's dumping snow here today, which (somewhat counterintuitively) got me thinking about movies where it rains constantly, so much so that the rain becomes a character in the movie. It's one of the reasons I like the '98 Godzilla. But anyway, I wish The Batman were on Max today ...
Old 04-11-22, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Holy shit, Batman! This going to be on HBO in two weeks?

I remember when the window for HBO was about a year from the theatrical release.
Old 04-11-22, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Holy shit, Batman! This going to be on HBO in two weeks?

I remember when the window for HBO was about a year from the theatrical release.
WB is working with a 45-day theatrical window now.
Old 04-11-22, 07:28 PM

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Is there a date for 4k/blu?
Old 04-11-22, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by bchbdaddy
Is there a date for 4k/blu?
https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/65...24-2022-a.html
Old 04-11-22, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dex14
WB is working with a 45-day theatrical window now.
I'm sort of at the point where one day runs into the next, but it feels like this only opened a couple of weeks ago, even though it was over a month ago.

It's also weird to see things hit cable before they get a DVD/Blu release. For decades, the pattern was -- generally -- theatrical release, six months later it came out on VHS/DVD, and then six months after that it hit pay cable.

But it's understandable that these windows have shrunk when you factor in our shortening attention spans, the pandemic, streaming, and easy piracy.
Old 04-16-22, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I just got home from watching this and boy is my bladder tired! Enjoyed the film - the look, the performances and direction.
wakwak007 (04-17-22)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.