Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Batman (2022, D: Reeves) S: Pattinson, Kravitz, Wright, Dano - The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of The Batman?
9.09%
20.78%
36.36%
12.99%
9.09%
3.90%
5.19%
1.30%
0%
0%
0%
Not interested.
1.30%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

The Batman (2022, D: Reeves) S: Pattinson, Kravitz, Wright, Dano - The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-22, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
Re: The Batman (2022, D: Reeves) S: Pattinson, Kravitz, Wright, Dano - The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
I think what would have made the film more complete was Bruce Wayne becoming BRUCE WAYNE! Instead of a recluse, instead of a brooder, instead of all that he starts to adopt his "billionaire playboy" persona and engages with the and institutions and citizens of Gotham proactively. Realizing that he needs both Bruce and The Batman to continue his mission. In essence the movie would then have become a "Bruce Wayne" origin story, which we've never seen before.

THE BATMAN is still a fantastic movie, but this would have taken the movie to an even higher level. I'd rather have had a scene of Bruce Wayne at a press conference offering his assistance to displaced Gothamites and pledging to rebuild downtown over the shoehorned Joker reveal.
Although not explicitly shown, I did get the impression that he realized that some changes were needed to accomplish his mission. I think he finally figured out what Batman needs to be, so perhaps he will work on Bruce Wayne in the next film.
The following 2 users liked this post by SmackDaddy:
Hokeyboy (03-14-22), IBJoel (03-14-22)
Old 03-18-22, 02:35 PM

Received 91 Likes on 62 Posts
Re: The Batman (2022, D: Reeves) S: Pattinson, Kravitz, Wright, Dano - The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Old 03-18-22, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy
Although not explicitly shown, I did get the impression that he realized that some changes were needed to accomplish his mission. I think he finally figured out what Batman needs to be, so perhaps he will work on Bruce Wayne in the next film.

The ending is implicit about that angle. He can't just be the Batman.
Old 03-18-22, 04:09 PM
Administrator

Received 1,068 Likes on 621 Posts

Riddler: Year One is being written by Paul Dano
The following users liked this post:
Why So Blu? (03-18-22)
Old 03-19-22, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by New Lurker
I have not sen a single review that mentions this. So maybe I am way off base. But like the reporter that was killed for Thomas Wayne... that is clearly The Riddler's father. Right? I mean I feel like it's so obvious. But they didn't touch on it in the film. And if it was the case they should have. The Riddler became an orphan BECAUSE of Thomas Wayne. Which makes sense why this was so personal. But again unless I missed it that wasn't touched on right?? I feel like somehow he stumbled upon that knowledge and that's the spark that sent him over the edge.

Did anyone else get that sense? The reporter even looks similar to The Riddler. Enough so that it was an obvious thing to me. But I've been wrong about these things before?
I just came back from the movie, and that was my assumption as well, I thought the film heavily implied it without coming out and saying it. I'm surprised that more people aren't talking about this detail.
Why So Blu? (03-19-22)
Old 03-21-22, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

The Batman has now made almost $600M worldwide and $300M in the U.S. in just 2 weeks of release

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/releas...EKEND_WIDGET_1

I don't think this can reach $1B. It hits HBO Max in less than 1 month. Once it hits there, it will kill any potential repeat business.

Still a hit though.

I've already seen it twice and I'm good until it hits physical media in the summer.
CyberpunkCentra (03-21-22)
Old 03-21-22, 05:58 AM

If this was released in a pre-pandemic world, this could have easily made over a billion.
Old 03-21-22, 08:07 AM

Received 88 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by CyberpunkCentra
If this was released in a pre-pandemic world, this could have easily made over a billion.
Anyone know off the top of their head how much Joker made? It would have done better than that in my opinion

Edit: yeah Joker made over 1 billion.
Old 03-21-22, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by JayTL
Anyone know off the top of their head how much Joker made? It would have done better than that in my opinion

Edit: yeah Joker made over 1 billion.
Joker is already way more profitable since the budget was low.
Old 03-21-22, 08:49 AM

Joker is already way more profitable since the budget was low.
Profit means nothing to me, since Hollywood accounting is screwed all over the place. Just trying to compare apples to different apples. With the word of mouth, Batman would clear Jokers gross (IMO).

It's not like this Batman had a crazy budget for it's genre
Old 03-21-22, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by JayTL
It's not like this Batman had a crazy budget for it's genre
I don't know about that. WB probably spend over $200 million on The Batman.
Old 03-21-22, 09:01 AM

I don't know about that. WB probably spend over $200 million on The Batman.
So around Aquaman, much less than Aquaman 2's reported budget.

Can't really compare Joker to Batman though.
Old 03-21-22, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I've already seen it twice and I'm good until it hits physical media in the summer.
My 2nd time will be this wk as well, was a little surprised it only got two wks on IMAX screens, I'm guessing this is it's last wk on Dolby.

Old 03-21-22, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Artman
My 2nd time will be this wk as well, was a little surprised it only got two wks on IMAX screens, I'm guessing this is it's last wk on Dolby.
I really enjoyed the movie, but I'm not sure how rewatch able it really is.

I'll get it on digital but I'm not sure how anxious I am to watch it again.

​​​​​
Old 03-21-22, 10:39 AM

I would see it a second time in theaters, but there so many things against me from doing so right now. Not to mention, the short release window. So I'll just wait to buy it on UHD/Blu-ray.
JayTL (03-21-22)
Old 03-23-22, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Yet Spider-Man NWH made over a billion IN a pandemic world. I'm not sure what your point is.
Old 03-23-22, 05:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
The Batman has now made almost $600M worldwide and $300M in the U.S. in just 2 weeks of release

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/releas...EKEND_WIDGET_1

I don't think this can reach $1B. It hits HBO Max in less than 1 month. Once it hits there, it will kill any potential repeat business.

Still a hit though.

It won't hit $1B; China has closed 40% of its theaters due to COVID. As a result it's doing good but not great business there (but then nothing could really do better).
Old 03-23-22, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
Yet Spider-Man NWH made over a billion IN a pandemic world. I'm not sure what your point is.
That's different. People have grown to love Tom Holland as Spider-Man and adding legacy characters into it makes it an automatic must-see in theaters. Where as The Batman, we just had Ben Affleck in the role not that long ago and people didn't know what to expect from Robert Pattinson. Especially from Twilight haters who haven't seen Robert Pattinson's smaller work. So there was a lot going up against The Batman.
Old 03-24-22, 12:36 PM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Here is the cut Joker scene:

Old 03-24-22, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Outstanding scene! Wish they'd kept it in the film...it is long, but depending on where it was placed... could've fit right in.

Last edited by Artman; 03-24-22 at 01:02 PM.
Old 03-24-22, 01:08 PM
Administrator

Received 1,068 Likes on 621 Posts

Love Pattinson in that, HATE that design. Face looks OK, but the hairdo and scarring over his entire body is way too over the top. It's just a grungier version of what they did with Leto. Still not sold on Koeghan, although there were some great line deliveries in that little scene. I think this would have worked a million times better than the scene we got.
Old 03-24-22, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Good scene, but too on the nose of Clarice/Hannibal Lector dynamic. Joker looks like a combination of Man Who Laughs (the mangled gum line) and Jigsaw from the Punisher comics. I think this scene kept in would have underminded the scene between Riddler and Batman, IMO.
The following 2 users liked this post by Why So Blu?:
BrewCrew (03-25-22), IBJoel (03-24-22)
Old 03-24-22, 01:33 PM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I think this scene kept in would have underminded the scene between Riddler and Batman, IMO.
Yes, they were too similar.
Old 03-24-22, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts

Not a fan of what we can see of the design, but the scene was good.

I don’t care for the scarring and the missing hair. Also why does he have bloodied hands in Arkham? Unless he was pretty recently captured or is getting in fights with inmates. I would assume he’s locked up in insolation though.

I think the portrayal is decent enough from what’s seen though. I like the idea of him being a Hannibal Lecter type character that Batman seeks out.

I can see why this was cut because of being too similar to the scene with Riddler.
Old 03-24-22, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mike86
I don’t care for the scarring and the missing hair. Also why does he have bloodied hands in Arkham?
Similar thoughts, the makeup just looks too heavy, esp the mouth. I wonder if they'll take the opportunity to update it next time around - maybe he's had some surgeries, etc.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.