Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Batman (2022, D: Reeves) S: Pattinson, Kravitz, Wright, Dano - The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of The Batman?
9.09%
20.78%
36.36%
12.99%
9.09%
3.90%
5.19%
1.30%
0%
0%
0%
Not interested.
1.30%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

The Batman (2022, D: Reeves) S: Pattinson, Kravitz, Wright, Dano - The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Old 03-04-22, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts
Re: The Batman (2022, D: Reeves) S: Pattinson, Kravitz, Wright, Dano - The Spoiler Reviews Thread

There was a blatant reference to Thomas Elliott and even Hush was flashed on the screen. I wonder if Hush may be a villain at some point.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (03-04-22)
Old 03-04-22, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts
Re: The Batman (2022, D: Reeves) S: Pattinson, Kravitz, Wright, Dano - The Spoiler Reviews Thread

One of the little things I liked was that the gang that Batman encountered at the beginning did not show up again. A lesser Batman script would have had the "new kid" recur throughout the movie and give him information or something contrived like that. But they were literally just a stop on his way to the actual crime scene.
IBJoel (03-04-22)
Old 03-04-22, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

Kind of jonesing to see it again tonight
Old 03-04-22, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 695 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
One of the little things I liked was that the gang that Batman encountered at the beginning did not show up again. A lesser Batman script would have had the "new kid" recur throughout the movie and give him information or something contrived like that. But they were literally just a stop on his way to the actual crime scene.
I thought that kid looked familiar. Turns out he was Tim Drake from the Titans TV show, and he filmed that scene before his work on Titans.
Old 03-04-22, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Whoa, reading a lot of the comments here has me even more excited about seeing this! This old Jedi has a senior ticket with a $3 Verizon gift card applied for the 10:30 am show at our local AMC. Screw surge pricing.
Old 03-04-22, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

While Joker isn't Thanos they could use him the same way. Introduce him early on, but present him as the main villain later on. For now he's in the Arkham Asylum. Brian Keoghan is definitly creepy and psycho enough. Not a bad choice.
The following 2 users liked this post by Runaway:
IBJoel (03-04-22), nasesco417 (03-06-22)
Old 03-04-22, 11:52 AM

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Runaway
While Joker isn't Thanos they could use him the same way. Introduce him early on, but present him as the main villain later on. For now he's in the Arkham Asylum. Brian Keoghan is definitly creepy and psycho enough. Not a bad choice.
That's a good way to do it, Penguin looks to be set up to take a bigger role for the possible sequel.
IBJoel (03-04-22)
Old 03-04-22, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
I thought that kid looked familiar. Turns out he was Tim Drake from the Titans TV show, and he filmed that scene before his work on Titans.
Ha same, I was like is that Drake? Nah...
Old 03-04-22, 12:13 PM
Administrator

Received 1,067 Likes on 620 Posts

I think the Joker scene was the only part I really didn't like. It felt overly cartoony compared to the rest of the film and the actor's accent was super weird (I know he's Irish).

Overall, the film felt like a mix of the best of the Nolan and Burton series. It feels grounded, but still distinctly in its own world. The psychology and motivations of each character are explored realistically, but they're also depicted as very damaged.

And the action! This was a movie where I actually felt like a superhero was putting himself in harm's way each time he went into battle. On top of that, every sequence seems to feature a new gadget, while feeling totally organic when each is revealed. Again, while Bale was "I punch stuff a lot" and Keaton was heavy on new tech pieces, this blended the two in a way that complements each side of the character's prowess.
majorjoe23 (03-05-22)
Old 03-04-22, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, the scene with The Joker felt unnecessary to me too. It felt kinda thrown in almost like the suits at WB were like: “he’s gotta be there somehow”.
IBJoel (03-04-22)
Old 03-04-22, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

AMC was apparently offering a Batman Cowl popcorn bucket. I was thinking about getting it, but it was $27 with the popcorn. But, apparently my local AMC never got their shipment. Did anyone go to AMC last night and see if it was available?

IBJoel (03-04-22)
Old 03-04-22, 12:38 PM

Cinemark has a commemorative Popcorn tub as well, but I didn't get one. I did, however, get a free set of 4 pins commemorating the March 2nd Fan First showing. This may be the first movie in a looooong while that I feel compelled to see again in the theater.
Old 03-04-22, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The only items my theater had were a collectible cup and popcorn tin. Cost was $20 for both in a combo so I went for them.
Spoiler:

Last edited by Mike86; 03-04-22 at 04:20 PM.
DJariya (03-04-22)
Old 03-04-22, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I’m curious who the old lady was at Wayne Tower. Looked to just be another worker/housekeeper employed by Bruce. It didn’t seem like she knew anything about him being Batman. Maybe a sort of homage to the Aunt Harriet character from the 66 series?
IBJoel (03-04-22)
Old 03-04-22, 02:18 PM
Administrator

Received 1,067 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I’m curious who the old lady was at Wayne Tower. Looked to just be another worker/housekeeper employed by Bruce. It didn’t seem like she knew anything about him being Batman. Maybe a sort of homage to the Aunt Harriet character from the 66 series?
That's who I took her as. Reeves said he was a big fan of the '66 movie and indeed all the villains of that movie show up here.
Dr. DVD (03-05-22)
Old 03-04-22, 06:14 PM
Cool New Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
AMC was apparently offering a Batman Cowl popcorn bucket. I was thinking about getting it, but it was $27 with the popcorn. But, apparently my local AMC never got their shipment. Did anyone go to AMC last night and see if it was available?
My local AMC in Southern California also said they never got their shipment. Called another and they said their shipment got lost in transit. Probably the result of train package bandits or some AMC employee stealing them up to sell on on ebay
IBJoel (03-05-22)
Old 03-04-22, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Just got back. It was fine. Way too long and slow. A lot of the crime scene scenes felt like the Arkham games, scanning for clues. I love that there are one million cops in there but only Batman notices the bloodstains

Pattinson was the best part. I liked how much he was in the costume (though the idea of him changing in and out of his costume while tailing people on his motorcycle made me chuckle). The Batmobile ended up being really cool but was only used once. And of course they go right back to the Joker at the end. They just can’t help themselves, can they?

No rush to see a sequel here.
Old 03-05-22, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,168 Likes on 4,198 Posts

I quite enjoyed it. Great film to see at the Dolby Cinema. You get full rumble from those chairs. Pattinson was great as Batman, weird and creepy as Bruce Wayne. Dano was amazing. Kravitz just kills it in whatever she does and was such a sexy Catwoman. And I love that her motivation was personal not greed here.
Definitely too long. That MSG scene felt like it went on forever. By the end I had totally forgotten what happened to the Penguin. Was he arrested?
Old 03-05-22, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by Decker
I quite enjoyed it. Great film to see at the Dolby Cinema. You get full rumble from those chairs. Pattinson was great as Batman, weird and creepy as Bruce Wayne. Dano was amazing. Kravitz just kills it in whatever she does and was such a sexy Catwoman. And I love that her motivation was personal not greed here.
Definitely too long. That MSG scene felt like it went on forever. By the end I had totally forgotten what happened to the Penguin. Was he arrested?
No, his last scene was him standing in the window looking over Gotham as Batman did his final narration. Which reminds me, love how they stuck in the penguin walk, that got a pretty good chuckle out of the audience.
Old 03-05-22, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

3.5/5 for me.

I loved the movie overall and thought it did a great job of effectively using so many comic characters to tell the story without short changing them, Pattinson has definitely grown as an actor and deserves the current wave of accolades. I also think it's amazing how Paul Dano and John Turturro are at their best when hey are either playing either shlubby guys or really scary villains. My only gripe is that they could have easily trimmed some of the scenes of Batman and Catwoman doing the whole unrequited love thing, and I wish they hadn't gone with the whole crazy guy trying to destroy Gotham story in the final act. That's been done in every single Batman movie with the exception of TDK, which is what makes that one stand apart IMO.

One question about something that kind of bugged me:

-Were the guys that showed up at the arena at the end followers of the Riddler that just happened to be trained in terrorism? It's just strange that they knew when and where to show up at the right time if they were only following his website.
Old 03-05-22, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Reeves is on record saying while that WAS the Joker, it wasn't quite "THE" Joker in full form. He is also on record saying Joker isn't necessarily in the next film.

Which is fine.

The way they teed off the "Batman is inadvertently inspiring sociopaths to unmask themselves/Gotham City is now in the midst of a crimelod power-play" sets up the next movie or movies perfectly. You could introduce almost any characters/villains into this storyline.

I have heard that they may be doing "Court of Owls" for the sequel, which makes a lot of sense for the world they have created with this movie. In terms of Joker and other villains, I would continue what they did with this movie; don't spend time doing an origin, just find an organic way to use them in the story and have them already in place when the next movie starts. I would love to see a Batman movie where Joker is one of many as opposed to the ultimate big bad, but they could still end with a confrontation between him and the Dark Knight to please fans.
Old 03-05-22, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD

-Were the guys that showed up at the arena at the end followers of the Riddler that just happened to be trained in terrorism? It's just strange that they knew when and where to show up at the right time if they were only following his website.
I read it as we were seeing the tail end of their prep for the assault (the chat was reminding people to bring the cling wrap and where to get the masks they needed). These were militia-types he spun up (this was also the most interesting part of the movie to me and I wish we had seen more about this build-up and fewer moments of Batman walking slowly through crime scenes and looking longingly at Catwoman).
Old 03-05-22, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Reeves is on record saying while that WAS the Joker, it wasn't quite "THE" Joker in full form. He is also on record saying Joker isn't necessarily in the next film.

Which is fine.

The way they teed off the "Batman is inadvertently inspiring sociopaths to unmask themselves/Gotham City is now in the midst of a crimelod power-play" sets up the next movie or movies perfectly. You could introduce almost any characters/villains into this storyline.
Red Hood in the next flick?
Old 03-05-22, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Draven
Pattinson was the best part. I liked how much he was in the costume (though the idea of him changing in and out of his costume while tailing people on his motorcycle made me chuckle).
I actually was thinking about this a little bit too. How fast is he getting in and out of the costume? Also he’s just carrying it in that backpack I assume? So if he happens to drop it he’s screwed or if part of it is sticking out of the bag accidentally and someone recognizes it his identity could be blown.
Old 03-05-22, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86
I actually was thinking about this a little bit too. How fast is he getting in and out of the costume? Also he’s just carrying it in that backpack I assume? So if he happens to drop it he’s screwed or if part of it is sticking out of the bag accidentally and someone recognizes it his identity could be blown.
I figured he had the body suit on, and just packed the cape/cowl.
IBJoel (03-05-22)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.