DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   80 For Brady (2023, D: Marvin) S: Lily Tomlin, Jane Fonda, Rita Moreno, Sally Field, Tom Brady (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/654900-80-brady-2023-d-marvin-s-lily-tomlin-jane-fonda-rita-moreno-sally-field-tom-brady.html)

dex14 02-23-22 02:34 PM

80 For Brady (2023, D: Marvin) S: Lily Tomlin, Jane Fonda, Rita Moreno, Sally Field, Tom Brady

Tom Brady may have retired from football, but that doesn’t mean the seven-time Super Bowl champion is leaving it behind.

In his first post-retirement move, Brady is making a blitz into Hollywood and will produce and, yes, appear, in a football-themed road trip movie titled 80 for Brady.

Hollywood icons Lily Tomlin, Jane Fonda, Rita Moreno and Sally Field will star in the feature project that is being made by Paramount Pictures and Endeavor Content.

Brady (the movie, not the player) will be directed by Kyle Marvin, who also co-wrote the script with Michael Covino. Marvin, who appears as an actor in the upcoming Apple limited series WeCrashed and co-wrote and starred in indie movie The Climb, is also executive producing with Covino, under the duo’s Watch This Ready banner, and Jeff Stott.

Inspired by a true story, Brady tells of four best friends and New England Patriots fans who take a life-changing trip to the 2017 Super Bowl LI to see their quarterback hero, Tom Brady, play and the chaos that ensues as they navigate the wilds of the biggest sporting event in the country. Tomlin, Fonda, Moreno and Field will play the quartet.

Brady, making a transition from football player to Hollywood player, was deeply involved with the inception of the project, developing it with Donna Gigliotti and Endeavor Content. He will produce through his production company, 199 Productions, along with Gigliotti, who counts Hidden Figures, Silver Linings Playbook and Shakespeare in Love among her credits. Endeavor Content is also producing.

Production is due to begin this spring. Marvin and Covino wrote the latest script based on a draft by Emily Halpern and Sarah Haskins, known for co-writing the coming-of-age movie Booksmart.

Paramount has found success over the years with comedies led by actress ensembles, with movies such as Book Club and The First Wives Club being breakouts.

Brady is repped by WME and Latham & Watkins. Tomlin is repped by WME while Fonda by CAA, Untitled Entertainment and Hirsch Wallerstein. Moreno is repped by Innovative Artists and John Ferguson while Field is represented by UTA, Anonymous Content and Hansen Jacobson. Marvin and Covino are repped by UTA and Jackoway Austen.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...dy-1235098335/

Throwing Copper 02-23-22 02:40 PM

re: 80 For Brady (2023, D: Marvin) S: Lily Tomlin, Jane Fonda, Rita Moreno, Sally Field, Tom Brady

What a strange combination this is. Unless this is really good, it’s got bomb written all over it.

But this has straight to streaming written all over it.

TomOpus 02-23-22 02:48 PM

re: 80 For Brady (2023, D: Marvin) S: Lily Tomlin, Jane Fonda, Rita Moreno, Sally Field, Tom Brady

Since Fonda and Tomlin already work for Netflix, wouldn't be surprised if that's where it lands except it's Paramount.

rexinnih 02-24-22 12:37 AM

You've.........got..........to...........be.................kidding..............me..............

Rob V 02-24-22 08:14 AM

Nope. This could star Kyle Chandler, Danny McBride, Tom Cruise, Margot Robbie, Charlize Theron and Leonardo DiCaprio and I still wouldn't watch it.

GoldenJCJ 02-24-22 08:20 AM

This sounds like the target audience will be women? So older women who love Tom Brady. I wonder if that’s enough of an audience for this movie to succeed.

And if Brady’s acting is anything like his Ted cameos, it’s going to be a very tough watch.

BrewCrew 02-24-22 08:56 AM

Good to see older women getting a starring role in a movie and give credit to Paramount for doing this in the past as well. Don't expect much based on the plot however.

ddrknghtrtns 02-24-22 09:52 AM

Might watch if it end with an orgy.

Decker 02-24-22 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ (Post 14064606)

And if Brady’s acting is anything like his Ted cameos, it’s going to be a very tough watch.

Forget movie acting, he can't even deliver a line in a Subway commercial without being awkward.

It had to drive him nuts that while he kept winning Super Bowls, Peyton Manning got all the good endorsement deals. But the reason is obvious : Peyton is a natural on camera, with great comic timing while Brady is just stiff and uncomfortable when delivering any line.

The Cow 02-24-22 11:41 AM

I don't expect Brady to do much "acting" in this. Sounds more like the Detroit Rock City movie where it's more about the quest.

Eric F 02-24-22 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ (Post 14064606)
This sounds like the target audience will be women? So older women who love Tom Brady. I wonder if that’s enough of an audience for this movie to succeed.

Older women from New England.

rocket1312 02-24-22 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 14064707)
Forget movie acting, he can't even deliver a line in a Subway commercial without being awkward.
https://youtu.be/GIOyxaGQ3Ec

It had to drive him nuts that while he kept winning Super Bowls, Peyton Manning got all the good endorsement deals. But the reason is obvious : Peyton is a natural on camera, with great comic timing while Brady is just stiff and uncomfortable when delivering any line.

I won't deny that Peyton is far more natural on screen than Brady (although Brady's appearance on SNL had its moments), but Brady actively avoided the sorts of endorsements that Manning was doing back then. He was very specific about only associating with high-end, mostly print, campaigns. The opportunities were there if he wanted them.

That he is all of a sudden constantly on our tvs in the last couple of years is a pretty hard 180 from where he was. It almost certainly is related to getting his production company established. He agrees to be in the commercials as long as his company is involved in the production. This movie is just the next step.
​​​​

Shannon Nutt 02-24-22 04:54 PM

Sally Field should be insulted by the title...she's only 75. ;)

dex14 03-17-22 11:54 AM

EXCLUSIVE: Glynn Turman (Women of the Movement), Bob Balaban (The French Dispatch), Ron Funches (Undateable) and Jimmy O. Yang (Space Force) are the latest additions to the cast of the upcoming film 80 for Brady, from Paramount Pictures and Endeavor Content. They join an ensemble that includes 7-time Super Bowl Champion Tom Brady, as well as Lily Tomlin, Jane Fonda, Rita Moreno, Sally Field and Sara Gilbert, as previously announced.
https://deadline.com/2022/03/80-for-...ng-1234981098/

jpcamb 03-17-22 12:40 PM

I was hoping him coming out of retirement was going to see this film die. Oh well.

dex14 11-17-22 09:55 AM

Re: 80 For Brady (2023, D: Marvin) S: Lily Tomlin, Jane Fonda, Rita Moreno, Sally Field, Tom Brady

80 FOR BRADY is inspired by the true story of four best friends living life to the fullest when they take a wild trip to the 2017 Super Bowl LI to see their hero Tom Brady play. Starring Academy Award® nominee Lily Tomlin, Academy Award® winner Jane Fonda, Academy Award® winner Rita Moreno and Academy Award® winner Sally Field, with 7-time Super Bowl Champion and producer Tom Brady, 80 FOR BRADY is in-theatres February 3, 2023.

GoldenJCJ 11-17-22 10:11 AM

Re: 80 For Brady (2023, D: Marvin) S: Lily Tomlin, Jane Fonda, Rita Moreno, Sally Field, Tom Brady

I bet they were hoping that Brady would still be relevant when this movie was released. Not a shell of his former self.

I like all the actresses involved in this but, seriously, fuck this movie. :lol:

stingermck 11-17-22 10:29 AM

:lol:

I mean, I have watched all of Sally's movies.

But wow :lol:

Brian T 11-17-22 05:38 PM

Looks kinda sad. Reminds me of one of those "old man" comedies with some combination of Tommy Lee Jones, Robert DeNiro, Morgan Freeman, Alan Arkin, etc.

Daytripper 11-17-22 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by Brian T (Post 14192732)
Looks kinda sad. Reminds me of one of those "old man" comedies with some combination of Tommy Lee Jones, Robert DeNiro, Morgan Freeman, Alan Arkin, etc.

Yeah, this depresses me. Reminds me of the last two sitcoms Betty White and Cloris Leachman were on. Most of their dialogue was sexual and it was super cringe. Not funny at all. What's with the full blonde wigs on Fonda? She looks ridiculous. I don't know who this movie is made for but I smell a bomb at the box-office.

Decker 11-18-22 12:00 AM

Ugh. That was somehow worse than I imagined.
Only in Theaters February 3rd.
(Coming to Paramount+ March 3rd.)
​​​​​

Runaway 11-18-22 04:47 AM

How could they make an old people comedy with 4 old women, but not include Diane Keaton? Is that even legal?

dex14 11-18-22 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Runaway (Post 14192979)
How could they make an old people comedy with 4 old women, but not include Diane Keaton? Is that even legal?

They must've not wanted people to get confused and think it was a sequel to Book Club. Book Club 2: The Next Chapter is coming soon though!

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...712d8ff6aa.jpg

William Fuld 11-18-22 08:08 PM

"Is this film more interesting than a documentary of the same actors having lunch?" - Gene Siskel

JackoOnHisBacko 11-19-22 10:52 PM

Looks bad.
If the women were played by Helen Mirren, Jane Seymour, Mary Steemburgen, and Christie Brinkley, I might be interested if it was rated NC-17 or XXX.

Otherwise, just more Hollywood silliness.