Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Death on the Nile (2022, D: Branagh) -- S: Branagh, Gadot, Wright, Bening -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of Death on the Nile?
0%
0%
45.45%
18.18%
18.18%
18.18%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
No interest. Don't care
0%
Will wait to see it at home
0%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Death on the Nile (2022, D: Branagh) -- S: Branagh, Gadot, Wright, Bening -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-22, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
Re: Death on the Nile (2022, D: Branagh) -- S: Branagh, Gadot, Wright, Bening -- The Spoiler Reviews Thre

Watched it last night and really enjoyed it, maybe not as much as the the first one but still. I had no idea where they were going with the killer.

Really hoping we get a third.
Old 03-30-22, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts
Re: Death on the Nile (2022, D: Branagh) -- S: Branagh, Gadot, Wright, Bening -- The Spoiler Reviews Thre

Originally Posted by Timber
Watched it last night and really enjoyed it, maybe not as much as the the first one but still. I had no idea where they were going with the killer.

Never read the book and I can't remember seeing the original but I enjoyed it too.
Spoiler:
Wasn't expecting such a high body count.

Old 03-30-22, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber

Fwiw, it's apparently going forward: https://movieweb.com/third-poirot-mo...ranagh-return/
The following users liked this post:
Why So Blu? (03-30-22)
Old 04-03-22, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts

Caught this on HBOmax tonight. I really wasn’t expecting much since I found Murder on the Orient Express merely average but I actually enjoyed this quite a bit and thought it was a lot better than MotOE.

Aside from some dodgy CGI and feeling like it dragged a bit in the first act, I thought it looked fantastic and the riverboat setting was pretty cool. Mainly, even though I picked up on a lot of clues as the movie went on, it kept me guessing until the end. I guess that’s really all I was looking for in a whodunit movie.
Old 04-03-22, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

From a technical standpoint it's not bad and does feature a good cast and fine performances, but it's also rather predictable and it's fairly slow to the point it I was losing interest (even though it's less than two hours long sans credits). Only glad I watched this for free on HBO Max as this was a one-time viewing for me (as was Branagh's Murder on the Orient Express, which I found only mildly entertaining but also overlong). **¾/*****
The following users liked this post:
Daytripper (04-03-22)
Old 04-03-22, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

I liked both of Branagh Poirot movies, they aren't really great and if you know the Finney and Ustinov Poirots, the movies aren't surprising either, but they are a nice change of pace, have a great cast and look good. The CGI in Nile was a problem, since everything was to bright and clean. The lighting didn't fit, it looked like the sun came from every direction. It wasn't bad CGI, but it looked too unnatural.
Old 04-03-22, 08:08 PM

Received 88 Likes on 68 Posts

I didn't like it. My initial theory ended up being the correct one...which is usually a bummer
Spoiler:
As soon as she said her red paint was missing and the act with the gun happened, I knew it wasn't a real shot

I thought it took too long to even get to that point, but it is what it is.

That being said, I look forward to more from this series
Old 04-03-22, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,464 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Well the movie was shot entirely in England with the principle cast. Only some second-unit stuff was shot in Egypt. So that was kind of wonky. You're right having Orient Express actually shoot on a moving train was pretty neat.
That's too bad. Both Peter Ustinov and David Suchet went to Egypt. Harsh sunlight and a moving boat are more than photographic effects; everybody on the screen unconsciously reacts to them.
Old 04-03-22, 10:58 PM

Received 1,916 Likes on 1,130 Posts

This is on Hulu with ads. At least, it is at our tier level.
Old 04-03-22, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I liked it. It's a leisurely and predictable murder mystery but the 2nd half was fun.

And give the casting director an award for having a sixth sense on soon-to-be Hollywood outcasts

Last edited by RichC2; 04-03-22 at 11:07 PM.
Old 04-04-22, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

This didn't need to be 2 hours. Neither did the first one. They could both have been som much better and more entertaining with a shorter runtime.
Is there some kinda mandate somewhere, that no matter what a mainstream movie needs to be that long?