DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Vote for your favorite Best Picture nominee. (2022 Oscars) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/654798-vote-your-favorite-best-picture-nominee-2022-oscars.html)

Damfino 02-08-22 04:22 PM

Vote for your favorite Best Picture nominee. (2022 Oscars)

Welcome to the 13th annual DVDTalk Best Picture Oscar Poll!

Once again let's see how far apart we are from the Oscar voters. Keep in mind that this is a poll for our favorite movies and not an attempt to predict the actual Oscar winner.

Previous DVDTalk poll winners and (Oscar winners):

2021: The Trial Of The Chicago Seven (Nomadland)
2020: Once Upon A Time In Hollywood (Parasite)
2019: BlacKkKlansman (Green Book)
2018: The Shape of Water (The Shape of Water)
2017: Hell or High Water (Moonlight)
2016: Mad Max: Fury Road (Spotlight)
2015: The Grand Budapest Hotel (Birdman)
2014: Gravity (12 Years A Slave)
2013: Django Unchained (Argo)
2012: Tree Of Life (The Artist)
2011: The Social Network (The King's Speech)
2010: Inglorious Basterds (The Hurt Locker)

I believe we gave a stronger list to choose from this year as Hollywood continues to recover from Covid.

dex14 02-08-22 04:28 PM

Re: Vote for your favorite Best Picture nominee. (2022 Oscars)

Licorice Pizza.

My ranking of the 10 nominees:

1. Licorice Pizza
2. Drive My Car
3. Dune
4. CODA
5. West Side Story
6. The Power of the Dog
7. Nightmare Alley
8. King Richard
9. Belfast
10. Don’t Look Up

OldBoy 02-08-22 04:41 PM

Haven’t seen it, but think Dog is lock. I would love CODA, but no shot in hell. Dog walks away and Campion wins director. Guarantee.

Crocker Jarmen 02-08-22 10:09 PM

I think there'll be too much of a split and the majority of voters will lazily pick West Side Story because the title is so recognizable it stands out on the ballot.

It'll be the reverse of when Spielberg's Saving Private Ryan lost to surprise Shakespeare In Love.

AaronHernandez 02-09-22 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen (Post 14056065)
I think there'll be too much of a split and the majority of voters will lazily pick West Side Story because the title is so recognizable it stands out on the ballot.

It missed 2 major categories(screenplay and editing) and Ariana DeBose was the only performance from the film nominated. Definitely think if they had went back to the old 5 movies nominated format it would be on the bubble.

JeffTheAlpaca 02-09-22 04:02 AM

I have not seen all of them but Nightmare Alley is one I want to see

I did not like Dune at all and thought it was long and boring.

rocket1312 02-09-22 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen (Post 14056065)

It'll be the reverse of when Spielberg's Saving Private Ryan lost to surprise Shakespeare In Love.

I don't think West Side Story has a chance. Power of the Dog has the be the overwhelming favorite. The only other two I could even imagine sneaking in there are Belfast and Don't Look Up.

The Antipodean 02-09-22 01:18 PM

I’m almost perfectly split between Pizza and Dog but in the end I have to vote for the “hometown girl.” Really hoping Campion gets the recognition she deserves for director too.

Damfino 02-17-22 02:39 AM

I have to give this a bump. It’s great to see so much movie discussion going on again!

Koby 02-17-22 08:54 AM

Only saw Dog and Dune.... and Dog was terribly bad... so Dune got my vote.

GoldenJCJ 02-17-22 10:14 AM

I’ve only seen four of the BP nominees so far (Dune, Power of the Dog, Nightmare Alley, and Don’t Look Up).

I may check out a couple others before the awards shows but right now I guess I’ll go with Power of the Dog.

davidh777 02-19-22 10:57 AM

Because this is a "favorite" thread and not a prediction thread, CODA is an easy choice for me.

OldBoy 02-19-22 07:23 PM

My heart now belongs to Licorice Pizza. It won’t win, but movie of 2021 hands down for me.

Hokeyboy 02-19-22 07:34 PM

Of what I've seen (ranked in order):

1. The Power of the Dog
2. Nightmare Alley
3. West Side Story
4. Dune
5. Don’t Look Up (doesn't belong in any Best Picture list)

B5Erik 02-20-22 05:30 PM

Wow. I have seen a total of ZERO of the nominees.

:lol:

TheMovieman 02-20-22 05:43 PM

I've seen one, and it was Dune and would not pick that as a favorite even if I had seen the others, and honestly outside maybe Nightmare Alley, not a whole lot of desire to see those.

Daytripper 02-20-22 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy (Post 14062274)
5. Don’t Look Up (doesn't belong in any Best Picture list)

So agree. Who picked it in this poll as their favorite Best Picture nomination?

kd5 02-21-22 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by B5Erik (Post 14062639)
Wow. I have seen a total of ZERO of the nominees.

:lol:

Neither have I. Out of the choices, Dune is the only one I even care about, and I'm waiting for the 2nd half to be released to even watch it (unless I change my mind).

DJariya 02-21-22 01:13 PM

I’ve seen 4 of the nominations. One I watched on HBO Max, which was King Richard. Out of the ones I saw, I would vote West Side Story, which I saw twice. But I know it has almost no chance to win.

I’m not surprised that most here haven’t seen any or very few. These “prestige” movies aren’t exactly draws or discussion heavy topics for most message board posters.

davidh777 02-21-22 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 14062984)
I’ve seen 4 of the nominations. One I watched on HBO Max, which was King Richard. Out of the ones I saw, I would vote West Side Story, which I saw twice. But I know it has almost no chance to win.

I’m not surprised that most here haven’t seen any or very few. These “prestige” movies aren’t exactly draws or discussion heavy topics for most message board posters.

Well, to be fair, it's a weird time for movies, plus the usual conundrum of many having been recently released. I've seen three of the nominees (CODA, Dune, Dog), and I'm planning to stream three others (DLU, Nightmare, King Richard) when I have an opportunity. In an ordinary world, I would've jumped on WSS in theaters, but I've only been to the movies twice in the last two years.

rocket1312 02-21-22 03:02 PM

I've only seen 5 out of 10. I'd rank them like this:

1. Licorice Pizza
2. Power of the Dog
3. Dune
4. West Side Story
5. Nightmare Alley

Drive My Car is probably the only of the 5 remaining I'm really anticipating. It hasn't played theatrically within 30 miles of me, so I'll watch when it hits HBO. I missed Belfast and King Richard when I had the opportunity. Might catch up when they hit streaming. CODA I'lll never see because I'm not paying for Apple and Don't Look Now I could watch today if I wanted to, but yeah, no.

Draven 02-21-22 03:32 PM

I’ve only seen Dune, so Dune I guess.

We were going to watch Nightmare Alley last night but it’s 2:30 hours so that one will have to wait a bit.

Shannon Nutt 02-21-22 05:02 PM

I've seen Dog, Dune, Don't Look Up, King Richard, and Nightmare Alley. Of those, King Richard was my favorite, but I realize it has zero chance of winning. Don't Look Up was the worst of those, but gladly, it also has zero chance of winning.

OldBoy 02-21-22 05:44 PM

I wanted to like Dune. I saw it in 1 sitting, in 3D too, but it was just meh. Pretty to look at for sure, but I didn’t think it was that user friendly. I still don’t know who the Zendaya character is supposed to be. I can’t even remember the ending even though I do remember it seemed unfinished. Why did Attradies family getting taken so easily?

milo bloom 02-21-22 10:28 PM

They were brought down from the inside. They had created a tight knit family that they thought was impenetrable but the Harkonnens were able to flip the Doctor. Since it was somebody they trusted their guard was down.