DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   First R rated movie you saw in the theater? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/654763-first-r-rated-movie-you-saw-theater.html)

Eric F 02-04-22 02:05 PM

First R rated movie you saw in the theater?

Fame. I was 12.

(Waiting for someone to say Texas Chainsaw Massacre :lol:)

The Cow 02-04-22 02:07 PM

Re: First R rated movie you saw in the theater?

Saturday Night Fever

TheMovieman 02-04-22 02:09 PM

The first one in theaters probably was Quick Change in 1990. The first one I was able to buy my own ticket for was Disturbing Behavior in 1998.

PerryD 02-04-22 02:11 PM

My dad took me and my brother to see Stripes when I was 12 or so, my brother is 4 years older. The first R rated movie that I remember getting in by myself was probably Revenge of the Nerds.

orangerunner 02-04-22 02:12 PM

Sudden Impact (1983). I was 10 years old (okay...10 1/2) and my dad took me and two of my friends to the theatre to see it. The older lady at the ticket booth gave my dad the stink-eye and warned him it was full of violence but grudgingly processed the tickets.

Deftones 02-04-22 02:15 PM

Total Recall with a buddy and his dad. I was 12. Love the 3 titty scene still to this day. :lol:

Artman 02-04-22 02:17 PM

Last of the Mohicans(92), I was 12. Summer of 95 is when I went to R rated movies more regularly.

stvn1974 02-04-22 02:21 PM

Aliens

RichC2 02-04-22 02:21 PM

Terminator 2, I was under 10 at the time. I guess I saw Pret A Porter when I was like 11 or 12?

I remember my sister trying to cover my eyes during the nude fashion show, which was the best part of the movie.

Weirdly we got denied entry and then kicked out from South Park BLU when I was much older. But was able to get into Very Bad Things with no problem.

rocket1312 02-04-22 02:27 PM

Pretty sure it was Unforgiven. I was 12.

devilshalo 02-04-22 02:28 PM

Alien and Blake Edwards' 10. I was 11.

Uncle took me and my younger cousin to Alien. Dad took me to see some Bo Derek titties.

MLBFan24 02-04-22 02:42 PM

The Rock (1996)

I was 12 years old. Ever since then, my favorite movie.

Eric F 02-04-22 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by devilshalo (Post 14053461)
Alien and Blake Edwards' 10. I was 11.

Uncle took me and my younger cousin to Alien. Dad took me to see some Bo Derek titties.

Alien at 10? That explains a lot. :lol:

philo 02-04-22 02:46 PM

My brother took me to Nightmare on Elm Street 2. I remember feeling a little nervous they might not let me in.
It was just before we had a VCR so I'd never seen the original but I''d seen the commercials for it and heard his play by play. I think we were both underwhelmed by the sequel and the subsequent um subtext it's acquired over the years went right over our heads. A different time i guess.

GoldenJCJ 02-04-22 02:50 PM

The first one I clearly remember was Terminator 2 when I was 11.

Wolf359 02-04-22 02:51 PM

First one I was taken to:

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...e42878122f.jpg

First one I went to by myself:

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...32bb1fe8e1.jpg
​​​​​​

Decker 02-04-22 02:51 PM

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...fb02ce8955.png

GoldenJCJ 02-04-22 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 14053473)
Alien at 10? That explains a lot. :lol:

It wasn’t in the theater but I remember that my parents let me rent Robocop on my 10th birthday.

rw2516 02-04-22 02:52 PM

Dirty Harry. Age 13

badlieut 02-04-22 02:53 PM

All that Jazz...I was 7.

Mondo Kane 02-04-22 03:00 PM

First Blood. But the first "Hard" R I saw was 10 to Midnight a year later.

Barth 02-04-22 03:14 PM

Probably not the first R rated movie I saw in the theater, but the first one I remember thinking "man, I can't believe they let me in here to watch this" was Eddie Murphy Raw.. I had just turned 15.

Inhumans99 02-04-22 03:16 PM

I did not get a chance to see a lot of R movies before I was old enough to see a Rated R film by myself, but I remember at least one occasion where my brother went with me so I could see an R Rated film that he also was interested in checking out, Robocop (we might have seen Robocop at the Manns Chinese Theater, in which case he also went with me because I did not have a license and getting to Hollywood by bus from the Valley would have been too much of a hassle).

I checked, Robocop came out in 1987 and I remember seeing the film during its first run in theaters so that had to be it. I turned 18 in 1989. If my parents knew what Robocop was like at the time I so would not have been allowed to see it even with my brother going with me, lol. Since I was fairly sheltered from R rated films one of the first R rated films containing a still infamous scene of a bad guy blowing a guys arm off with a shotgun was quite the jolt to my system at the time.

My brother eventually went to college and I took the bus to see films solo. I remember seeing T2 at a theater in Sherman Oaks (the one near the In and Out which is only a block or so away from Ventura Blvd), and I was not carded. For the longest time I looked way younger than my actual age, I probably still looked like a fetus to some folks when I was 18, lol, so when I was not carded depending on what I was doing, trying to see an R rated film, or buying an alcoholic drink (as I did not look anywhere near 21 until I was probably at least into my late 20s/early 30s, not joking) it really was a bit of a pleasant surprise. Sometimes when I was at a table with older folks I would not get carded when ordering a cocktail, it was probably assumed we were all of legal age, and it helps that I knew how to comport myself at a restaurant or formal event so as not to come off as an immature putz, less likely to get carded if one does not think you are a teenager trying to get one over on the man.

Osiris3657 02-04-22 03:19 PM

I and a group of other kids I was with snuck into Face/Off. I was 12

Hulkabrgr 02-04-22 03:28 PM

Stripes at 5 years old. By the next year, I saw 48 hours in the theaters, and going to R rated movies with my parents wasn't a big deal