Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

First R rated movie you saw in the theater?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

First R rated movie you saw in the theater?

Old 02-17-22, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts
Re: First R rated movie you saw in the theater?

My dad took the whole family to see Beverly Hills Cop II at the Drive In when it came out. I was 10, my sister was nine and my brother was 8. I don't remember if my youngest brother was along for the ride or if we got a babysitter. He would have been 3 at the time.
Old 02-18-22, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 457 Likes on 335 Posts

Stir Crazy.

I saw that with my younger brother and my cousin. We ended up quoting the hell out of that movie afterwards, and my mom got tired of all the profanity, so she said we wouldn't get to watch another R rated movie again until we were 17 if we didn't stop.

We stopped.

Wait a minute, The Boys From Brazil came out a couple years before that! My dad took my brother and me to see that one in '78. I'm still freaked out by dobermans...
Old 02-18-22, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

I remember watching Total Recall and Air America the same weekend. Air America at a first run theater and Total Recall at a budget. Never had the guts to try prior but nobody cared I was only 13.
Old 02-18-22, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 366 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Dvdlovr24
The Good Son. I was 14 and bought the ticket with no issue. Not nearly as good of a movie as most of you, but I remember the excitement of seeing a R rated movie in the theater by myself.
It's been a long time since I've seen this one, but I recall enjoying it as a young adult when it was released. I was a little surprised to see it listed, almost disbelieving that it was rated R since I was fairly certain there was nothing in the way of sex/nudity or bloody violence of any type. Confirmed the rating, though it looks like a rather tame one to me as I look back on it. (Rated R for acts of violence and terror involving a disturbed child per imdb)
Old 02-18-22, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 129 Likes on 100 Posts

It's funny how I forgot that a lot of films that were rated R by the MPAA in the US where given much lesser ratings here in Canada. A movie like The Breakfast Club was rated R in the US but rated "Mature" in the province of BC, Canada which was an equivalent to PG.
Old 02-18-22, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 462 Likes on 306 Posts

It's still the same thing today. Here in Ontario, Licorice Pizza is rated PG.

Most memorable more-lenient difference I remember is the PG-13 Stranger Than Fiction being rated G (General) in Saskatchewan despite the naked shower scene. Maybe they were over compensating for briefly banning Exit To Eden

Last edited by Crocker Jarmen; 02-18-22 at 05:21 PM.
Old 02-18-22, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111
It's been a long time since I've seen this one, but I recall enjoying it as a young adult when it was released. I was a little surprised to see it listed, almost disbelieving that it was rated R since I was fairly certain there was nothing in the way of sex/nudity or bloody violence of any type.
I remember watching this when it came out on VHS and was a little let down it didn't have much R rated content. I think it was just Culkin's f-word and maybe the final death that pushed it over. But hey, it still counts! lol
Old 02-18-22, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,160 Likes on 2,036 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
It's still the same thing today. Here in Ontario, Licorice Pizza is rated PG.

Most memorable more-lenient difference I remember is the PG-13 Stranger Than Fiction being rated G (General) in Saskatchewan despite the naked shower scene. Maybe they were over compensating for briefly banning Exit To Eden
I remember my parents renting the funny new Dan Aykroyd comedy to watch for family movie night. Around the time Dana Delaney got out of the pool naked and rubbed her soggy muff on that sex slave’s back, my mom told my dad to turn it off.
Old 02-18-22, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I remember my parents renting the funny new Dan Aykroyd comedy to watch for family movie night. Around the time Dana Delaney got out of the pool naked and rubbed her soggy muff on that sex slave’s back, my mom told my dad to turn it off.
I know that movie is reviled, but, God, Dana Delaney looks so fucking good naked...
Old 02-19-22, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 209 Likes on 185 Posts

I'm an old man, so my first R-rated was seeing John Boorman's "Zardoz" (1974) in a theater. It's such an odd, trippy film and I sort of "got it" at the time, but I was just sort of giddy just to have seen an R-rated movie.
Old 02-19-22, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts

Nightmare on Elm st 4, I was 9
Old 02-19-22, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I know that movie is reviled, but, God, Dana Delaney looks so fucking good naked...
It's definitely been on my "when the hell is this coming out on Blu Ray" list since, well, Blu Ray came out. You can't find this anywhere. The DVD is out of print, there's no digital HD version available anywhere that I've seen. I had it recorded in HD on my Directv DVR about a decade ago but never converted it to mp4 before turning my equipment in.
Old 02-19-22, 09:21 AM

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by Artman
I remember watching this when it came out on VHS and was a little let down it didn't have much R rated content. I think it was just Culkin's f-word and maybe the final death that pushed it over. But hey, it still counts! lol
I'm pretty sure this was the second R rated movie I watched in the theater. It would have been at our discount theater shortly after Tombstone. But as 12 year olds, we all wanted to see Macauley Culkin in this new R Rated movie. It was definitely more on the PG13 side than many other movies, but I feel like by getting an R rating it actually increased the appeal for it for kids my age.
Old 02-19-22, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

The 1st R-Rated movie I saw was Coffy (1973). I was 11. It changed me.
Old 02-19-22, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Around the time Dana Delaney got out of the pool naked and rubbed her soggy muff on that sex slave’s back, my mom told my dad to turn it off.
I haven't seen it, but that sound bonerific.
Old 02-19-22, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts

The Lost Boys (1987)
Old 02-19-22, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,800 Likes on 1,210 Posts

Probably Alien. My brother took me when I first came out. I was 9.

Worst R rated movie you saw in the theater? (Worst as in worst experience.) Porky's. My mother took me. Neither of us had any idea how incredibly mortifying the experience would be.
Old 02-19-22, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 397 Likes on 265 Posts

Much like the first film I ever saw in theatres neither me nor my mom remember. The first R rated film I REMEMBER seeing would be Dangerous Minds in 1995. I would have been 12. I still have the ticket stub 27 years later.
Old 02-19-22, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

Beverly Hills Cop 2.
Old 02-19-22, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Witness. Both my friend and I were a few months short of turning 17 that year, but I guess we looked old enough to the even younger girl who sold us the tickets. But of course, I saw a handful of "R" films well before that, albeit on HBO whenever I went to my cousin's place. The first "R" film I saw on there was either Fame or The Hollywood Knights.
Old 02-20-22, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 680 Likes on 419 Posts

I went with my parents to see Animal House in 1978. I was all of 7. I thought it was funny as hell, even if 90% of the humor went right over my head. I distinctly remember (1) tiddys, and (2) getting freaked out when Kevin Bacon got flattened like a pancake.
Old 02-20-22, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

If I recall correctly, 19 and my first movie date with the girl who would become my wife (41 years in May!) I managed to talk her into seeing the original “Alien”.
Old 02-22-22, 12:41 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson
I'm an old man, so my first R-rated was seeing John Boorman's "Zardoz" (1974) in a theater. It's such an odd, trippy film and I sort of "got it" at the time, but I was just sort of giddy just to have seen an R-rated movie.
Imagine your first R-rated experience in a theater involves Sean Connery in a diaper?

My sympathies.
Old 02-22-22, 08:31 AM

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

The Godfather - at the Drive-In. We were told to look over at the other screens around us. Me and my brother were in the way back of the station wagon and had to face the back window! LOL! (We were 6-7 years old at the time)

The first one in the theater was Saturday Night Fever in 1978. My mom took me to see it for my 13th birthday!
Old 02-22-22, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 873 Likes on 644 Posts

From what I can remember, I think it was T2.